New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default My Thoughts On Final Fantasy 7

I play Final Fantasy 7 back when I was a teenager and I haven't finished playing the game because it was very long but I will say it was a very interesting game. I like Final Fantasy 7 because it has a very interesting storyline. I like the material magic spell and the fighting against monsters. I also love the boss battle music theme. So this game is pretty good in my opinion.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Thoughts On Final Fantasy 7

I really enjoyed the original way back when you had to swap out the disc in the middle of the game. I also absolutely love the movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

I haven’t had the opportunity to play the remake, but it’s definitely on my list.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I really enjoyed the original way back when you had to swap out the disc in the middle of the game. I also absolutely love the movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

I haven’t had the opportunity to play the remake, but it’s definitely on my list.
    I thought Final Fantasy: Advent Children was a game. I didn't know they made a movie out of the game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I ended up not liking FF7 back when it was new. The reason I played JRPGs back then was for the story, and after searching out every bit of lore info inside the game, I couldn't see how it would all come together in the ending. Then I got to the ending, and it looked like the writers couldn't, either. My disappointment with FF7 is a big part of why FF8 is still my favorite of the series. It made up for the way the previous game left me feeling, due to the main plot points actually being resolved and getting to find out what happened to the characters I'd spent all that time with...

Advent Children was freaking awesome, though.

And despite how it might sound, I do intend to play FF7 Remake, and I'm expecting to enjoy it. After all, unlike the original, this time the script was completed before the game was in production!
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I ended up not liking FF7 back when it was new. The reason I played JRPGs back then was for the story, and after searching out every bit of lore info inside the game, I couldn't see how it would all come together in the ending. Then I got to the ending, and it looked like the writers couldn't, either. My disappointment with FF7 is a big part of why FF8 is still my favorite of the series. It made up for the way the previous game left me feeling, due to the main plot points actually being resolved and getting to find out what happened to the characters I'd spent all that time with...

And despite how it might sound, I do intend to play FF7 Remake, and I'm expecting to enjoy it. After all, unlike the original, this time the script was completed before the game was in production!
    I always wanted to play the remake of FF7 but I don't have the money to buy PS5.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I always wanted to play the remake of FF7 but I don't have the money to buy PS5.
    FF7 Remake isn't PS5-exclusive, it's on PS4 and PC as well. The DLC addition to it, Intergrade, is PS5 and PC-exclusive, and the sequel/second part, FF7 Rebirth, will be PS5-exclusive initially (it'll presumably get a PC release a year or so later), but Remake itself isn't.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-11-27 at 10:54 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    FF7 Remake isn't PS5-exclusive, it's on PS4 and PC as well. The DLC addition to it, Intergrade, is PS5-exclusive (I think, not sure if they've put that on PC yet), and the sequel/second part, FF7 Rebirth, will be as well (though it'll likely get a PC release a year or so later too), but Remake itself isn't.
    Oh ok. I think my older brother has PS4.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

FF7 Remake isn't PS5-exclusive, it's on PS4 and PC as well. The DLC addition to it, Intergrade, is PS5 and PC-exclusive, and the sequel/second part, FF7 Rebirth, will be PS5-exclusive initially (it'll presumably get a PC release a year or so later), but Remake itself isn't.
    Wow, I just looked it up and not only is the FF7 Remake sequel probably not going to release until a year from now (~ish), but there's also going to be a third part sometime even later??

Do they really expect people to play 1/3 of a story years apart from each other like this?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

And each one the price of a full game on its own. That and a few other decisions they have made have kept me from this remake. Even if the combat looks kind of interesting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Wow, I just looked it up and not only is the FF7 Remake sequel probably not going to release until a year from now (~ish), but there's also going to be a third part sometime even later??

Do they really expect people to play 1/3 of a story years apart from each other like this?
    Since it's sold at least 5 million copies so far, I think the answer is yes. Fortunately doesn't affect me, since I have so many games wishlisted already that I usually don't get games until they've had a couple of years of price drops.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

What we really need is a remake of the game that was going to be FF7 but eventually wasn't (Xenogears). I just don't trust modern Square to actually make it. Someone would need to make them give the IP to MonolithSoft and tempt Soraya Saga out of retirement.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post

The ending of FF7 strikes more to the core of "we are environmentalists fighting to the last scrap to save our planet. What happens to us doesn't really matter, necessarily; it's just one of many conflicts in the world. There will always be people endangering the earth, always be pretty boys with mother issues trying to destroy the planet, but today? Today we win. The planet survives."

It's not the best if you're super devoted to caring about the characters and wanting to know how they ended up in the aftermath of putting the smack down of Sephy, but it is thematically appropriate. The main plot was resolved, in that our heroes ensured the planet will not die, their goal for basically the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    What we really need is a remake of the game that was going to be FF7 but eventually wasn't (Xenogears). I just don't trust modern Square to actually make it. Someone would need to make them give the IP to MonolithSoft and tempt Soraya Saga out of retirement.
    I'm genuinely interested in what a Xenogears remake would be. Switching it to beat-em-up style gameply like FF7REMAKE would make a lot of mechanical sense given how the game plays, but any remake would have to ask itself genuinely and seriously; do we actually complete the game, or do we remake the esoteric and wild as hell back half that is our two main leads having depression interviews in the exposition zone?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-11-29 at 08:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

I think a Xenogears remake these days would tighten up the back half quite a lot (make sure Billy and Rico don't just drop out of the story, deliver it through gameplay content not text dumps, etc).

The individual form wasn't the thing, the ideas and willingness to engage with them were. (And sure, quite a lot of them reappear in Xenoblade, but not quite with the intensity they had in gears/saga.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. Perfectly normal. The God of War series, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Halo - all multi-part entries in a longer overall story. I suspect the naming has something to do with it because people have memories of FF7 being just 'one game', but.. like, think of how big the game would be if you released it as a four-disc package these days. It'd be a sprawling 100 hour+ play through. Which is three or four games worth of content, depending on how much time you spend sidequesting and poking into corners off the critical path.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The answer to that question, as Tyckspoon indicated, is "yes, the same way any other trilogy does." (Though Assassin's Creed is a bad example of this, since the only "ongoing story" there is the modern day stuff that each game barely touches on and the series would be better off jettisoning entirely anyway.)

It's not like they're just doing a 1:1 remake that's been arbitrarily split up into parts, they're greatly expanding things. FF7 Remake itself is a 40-50 hour game that only covers the events up through when the group leaves Midgar, which was only the first 5-6 hours of the original. Which does work very well, they crammed quite a bit of plot into those 5-6 hours, and all of the expansion gives more time for characters to develop and the full drama of what occurs there to have greater impact - the game actually makes you care about what happens to Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie a hell of a lot more than the original did, for one example, because you spend more time with them and develop an actual attachment to them, rather than them just being random filler Avalanche members you see a few times over the first couple of hours in the original. Now, obviously since they intend to be done with this in three games they aren't expanding the entire rest of the game that much, but you can still readily bet there'll be a lot more to them than just what the original had. And from having played Remake, that's very much not just to drag things out, they're using that time effectively.

I won't defend Square-Enix on much when it comes to Final Fantasy, but 7 Remake is a genuinely impressive, well-done game.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Perhaps I am just a special class of grognard in this case. I want to play the entire story in sequence, without years of downtime in between parts. I did the same with Mass Effect, and it worked out splendidly in that case.

But even that was meant to be a trilogy from the start rather than making a trilogy out of a single game...

That said, it feels a little strange to me in the past week since I've been recently playing Final Fantasy 13-2 for the first time after several years since playing the original one. But that trilogy was already complete when I started it all those years ago, even if it's true that I had such a long gap between games. My pause was for personal reasons rather than from an outside source of the games not being finished.

Maybe I'm just that jerk who was already a longtime fan of Final Fantasy and doesn't see why FF7 thinks it's SO SPECIAL to deserve this special treatment at all, but I still want to see the remake happen and play it when it's complete? I guess FF7 makes more sense as a trilogy to new players compared to the people who originally experienced it as a single game. It's basically the same as splitting The Hobbit into three movies, which was absolutely seen as ridiculous by some of the LotR fans and purists out there.

I don't know, I guess I have conflicting feelings on this matter. I never really understood why FF7 became such a big deal, beyond the basic "we have Final Fantasy now" marketing spiel that Sony did. FF7 definitely had a wider appeal than previous games somehow, even though Final Fantasy wasn't an obscure game series before that, by any measure. I remember TV commercials for FF6 (then branded as FF3 still in the US) in the mid-90s.

Was it the 3D graphics? Was it the FMV cutscenes? Was it fixing the numbering? What made FF7 stand out so much that it became a phenomenon?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think a Xenogears remake these days would tighten up the back half quite a lot (make sure Billy and Rico don't just drop out of the story, deliver it through gameplay content not text dumps, etc).

The individual form wasn't the thing, the ideas and willingness to engage with them were. (And sure, quite a lot of them reappear in Xenoblade, but not quite with the intensity they had in gears/saga.)
    Who's Billy? Was he the kid with the gun and terrible Gear?

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Who's Billy?
    Exactly.

He appears for one plot event and then he's basically in the background but just keeps hanging around in the party.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It'd be a sprawling 100 hour+ play through. Which is three or four games worth of content, depending on how much time you spend sidequesting and poking into corners off the critical path.
    That particular argument doesn't hold for me at all.

Just scrolling to my games in GoG Galaxy:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 182 hours
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 192 hours
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - 265 hours (holy crap!)
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker - 361 hours (do I even have a life?)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 262 hours

Sure, all those numbers figure in some significant idle time (my guess is something between 10 and 20 %), and sure you could say "but you're a slow player" - but even if you cut those numbers in half you will see that having 100+ hour play time is pretty normal for big RPGs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Was it the 3D graphics? Was it the FMV cutscenes? Was it fixing the numbering? What made FF7 stand out so much that it became a phenomenon?
    The graphics were a big seller in the day - it is hard to remember now just how mind-blowing 3D was back then, even for those of us old enough to have experienced it. I distinctly remember some of my teachers talking about mistaking a PS1 tennis game for a live broadcast, which seems unthinkable today but wasn't so bizarre when 3D games were new.

The biggest difference, however, was probably the price. Previous console RPGs needed a cartridge with enormous amounts of ROM to store the game and a fair amount of battery-backed RAM for saves. This made the carts very expensive - I can't find a release price for FF3/6 in the US, but Donkey Kong Country released at $60 and Illusion of Gaia was $75.

Final Fantasy VII retailed for $49.99 on launch. The massive price difference came down to the medium - CDs cost virtually nothing to manufacture compared to cartridges. Not only were people much more willing to pay this price, it also was a major factor in production - a lot more copies would get printed because the duplication costs were extremely low, so there'd be a much larger supply.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck I'd settle for an HD remaster of Xenogears at this point (personal preference for a Switch version). Might even happen with how they've been churning out updated versions of older games (Saga, Romancing Saga, Saga Frontier, FF7-10&12, Chrono Cross). Really just left with Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and the Bouncer missing at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #22

I'd say there is no way we're getting The Bouncer HD, but every so often I remember Live A Live's beautiful ****ing rise from obscurity into pitch perfect remake that honestly anything's possible at this point.

On that note, just a few weeks away from REUNION, to stick on the FF7 topic. Strongly encourage all y'all who even sorta like FF7 to pick up Crisis Core. It is good.

It's also got my personal favorite "story and gameplay integration" moment of all time, that has left me devastated to this day.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps I am just a special class of grognard in this case. I want to play the entire story in sequence, without years of downtime in between parts. I did the same with Mass Effect, and it worked out splendidly in that case.

But even that was meant to be a trilogy from the start rather than making a trilogy out of a single game...

That said, it feels a little strange to me in the past week since I've been recently playing Final Fantasy 13-2 for the first time after several years since playing the original one. But that trilogy was already complete when I started it all those years ago, even if it's true that I had such a long gap between games. My pause was for personal reasons rather than from an outside source of the games not being finished.

Maybe I'm just that jerk who was already a longtime fan of Final Fantasy and doesn't see why FF7 thinks it's SO SPECIAL to deserve this special treatment at all, but I still want to see the remake happen and play it when it's complete? I guess FF7 makes more sense as a trilogy to new players compared to the people who originally experienced it as a single game. It's basically the same as splitting The Hobbit into three movies, which was absolutely seen as ridiculous by some of the LotR fans and purists out there.
    It's quite substantially different than The Hobbit situation. With The Hobbit they were adapting a work from most of a century ago by an author who is no longer around to a new medium, and in the process choosing to bloat it as big as they could for the purpose of milking as much money out of it as possible, because they could. (Although that said, it probably always should have been two movies, since the book itself summarizes events fairly quickly that you would want to give more time to breathe in a visual adaptation - you can kind of tell from the end product that the first movie is much more reasonably paced than the second and third.)

With FF7 you have the company that made the original game, including some of the people that worked on it, choosing to remake it presumably because it's so popular, but aging quite badly in a number of ways due to when it was made. In the process they're expanding it, yes, but it's not the mere padding of The Hobbit - plus, as a video game rather than a movie, the point of it isn't just to tell the main story, so additional content for players to enjoy isn't necessarily a bad thing in the same way that it is in a movie.

I don't know, I guess I have conflicting feelings on this matter. I never really understood why FF7 became such a big deal, beyond the basic "we have Final Fantasy now" marketing spiel that Sony did. FF7 definitely had a wider appeal than previous games somehow, even though Final Fantasy wasn't an obscure game series before that, by any measure. I remember TV commercials for FF6 (then branded as FF3 still in the US) in the mid-90s.

Now that I couldn't tell you, since I'm not a huge fan of the original FF7, nor did I play it anywhere near when it came out. Heck, I didn't even play it all the way through until after Remake impressed me enough to give me more interest in it than I had the first time I tried to play it. I will say that personally I am glad that FF7 is the one getting the Remake treatment since it has the best story of the Final Fantasy games that I've played - though that's not necessarily a high bar, since the range for its competition for me goes from the "eh, it's decent" of FF4 to the "candidate for the worst narrative in a video game I've ever played" of FF13. (I have not played FF6, to head off that question.)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    On that note, just a few weeks away from REUNION, to stick on the FF7 topic. Strongly encourage all y'all who even sorta like FF7 to pick up Crisis Core. It is good.

It's also got my personal favorite "story and gameplay integration" moment of all time, that has left me devastated to this day.
    I plan to pick it up at some point, but probably not right away, personally. Certainly sometime before Rebirth hits though.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-11-30 at 05:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Now that I couldn't tell you, since I'm not a huge fan of the original FF7, nor did I play it anywhere near when it came out. Heck, I didn't even play it all the way through until after Remake impressed me enough to give me more interest in it than I had the first time I tried to play it. I will say that personally I am glad that FF7 is the one getting the Remake treatment since it has the best story of the Final Fantasy games that I've played - though that's not necessarily a high bar, since the range for its competition for me goes from the "eh, it's decent" of FF4 to the "candidate for the worst narrative in a video game I've ever played" of FF13. (I have not played FF6, to head off that question.)

I plan to pick it up at some point, but probably not right away, personally. Certainly sometime before Rebirth hits though.
    Something something Final Fantasy 14 meme here you should play it it's good something something.

Also tbh I don't actually like FF6's story that much. It's good, but there are aspects of it that fall flat for me, in part because of some consequences of the back half of it. I won't spoil anything though.

Definitely do! It's in my like, top three for stories in Final Fantasy. Which says a lot given it's a prequel no one asked for or even wanted at the time of release, but the few who play it Understand.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Something something Final Fantasy 14 meme here you should play it it's good something something.
    That one I won't ever play, because it's an MMO. Thanks for the recommendation, but that's just not a type of game I enjoy.

26. - Top - End - #26

That one I won't ever play, because it's an MMO. Thanks for the recommendation, but that's just not a type of game I enjoy.
    Entirely fair, though I'll note virtually everything can be done single player.

That said, I won't push it. Instead I recommend watching someone play through it if you want to experience the story. I've got a link or two I could throw your way.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I am glad that FF7 is the one getting the Remake treatment since it has the best story of the Final Fantasy games that I've played - though that's not necessarily a high bar, since the range for its competition for me goes from the "eh, it's decent" of FF4 to the "candidate for the worst narrative in a video game I've ever played" of FF13. (I have not played FF6, to head off that question.)
    For what it's worth, I've found the recent remasters of the first six FF games to have been excellent so far (for anyone interested in seeing the early parts of the series), with the disclaimer that I skipped FF2 and haven't gotten started with a FF6 replay yet. I finally just beat FF5 for the first time and it was great!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Entirely fair, though I'll note virtually everything can be done single player.

That said, I won't push it. Instead I recommend watching someone play through it if you want to experience the story. I've got a link or two I could throw your way.
    Hm, maybe. Not sure when I'd get around to that, given I don't often watch long play-throughs of games. But it also doesn't look like the youtube channel I'd normally turn to for such things has done FF14. If you have a recommendation for one, sure, feel free. Can't hurt to toss it on the Watch Later list.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't hurt to toss it on the Watch Later list.
    200+ videos and counting, right? Me too.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    200+ videos and counting, right? Me too.
    No, actually, I don't tend to put much there myself. The only thing that's sitting there long-term for me right now is a video I'm saving for when I start DMing for my group after our current campaign.