Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Omniweapon

One blade to beat them all
    One blade to fight them
    One blade to reap them all
    And in the Grey banish them

Hello members of my favourite D&D forum

From time to time I make a DnD 3.5 creation for fun. It is entirelly possible that what I come up with has already been done, extensively and much more effectively as I am by no means a master of the game as some of the people here - thus I occasionally submit those creations either for evaluation or for suggestions

Hence today's idea which came about as I was trying to envision some weapon that could fit all possible needs. And since that is nigh impossible, allow me to clarify; I was trying to create a weapon that could be used by any character and against any character - even if a specific character (PC or NPC) had created a specific weapon that was more beneficial to them based on their individual build (giving particular abilities, covering weak spots or simply allowing for much higher damage outputs), the point of this weapon was in its universality, both in wielders and against adversaries

So I decided to (modestly ) call it "the Omniweapon" to illustrate this very universallity, and I do hope I did a good job

And now, without further ado:

THE OMNIWEAPON

{Scrubbed}

Transmuting (+2 bonus) MIC p.45: {Scrubbed}

Shadowstriking {Scrubbed}

Sure Striking {Scrubbed}

Metalline {Scrubbed}

Morphing {Scrubbed}

Sizing {Scrubbed}

Ghost touch (+1 bonus) DMG p.224: A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder

Aptitude {Scrubbed}

Returning {Scrubbed}

Flying {Scrubbed}

Notes

1) “Transmuting” and “Shadowstriking” (and “Sure Striking” (PGtF) and “Metalline”) serve the “omniweapon” idea (the weapon that can hurt any foe) by bypassing damage reduction
    2) “Transmuting” can overcome anything, but “A transmuting weapon does not gain any other benefit of the properties it takes on, and it always deals normal damage”???
    3) “Transmuting” > “Shadowstriking”, but: “Transmuting” ‘s ”When you score a successful hit with a transmuting weapon against a creature that has damage reduction, that attack is resolved normally. At the start of your next turn, however, the weapon transforms, taking on the properties required to overcome that creature’s damage reduction…” vs “Shadowstriking” ‘s “A shadow striking weapon automatically attunes itself to the target. When it strikes a target that has damage reduction, it adjusts itself to overcome the damage reduction of that creature.” could potentially let shadowstriking weapons overcome damage reduction on the same round
    4) “Shadowstriking” does not overcome damage type (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning). “Morphing” is used for that, but it transforms the weapon itself, leading to the need of “Aptitude” to reapply feats (but not class features!)
    5) “Shadowstriking” = “Sure Striking” (PGtF) + “Metalline”, but for +3 instead of +4
    6) “Morphing” and “Sizing” could be used together (if allowed) when user size changes to retain same weapon and/or keep bypassing damage reduction
    7) “Morphing” also serves the “omniweapon” idea (and is its main contributor)(one weapon is actually all weapons), thus even if “Transmuting” is used over “Shadowstriking” “Morphing” still plays an active role other than bypassing damage reduction
    8) “Sizing” also serves the “omniweapon” idea (any creature of any size can use the weapon)
    9) ”Ghost touch” also serves the “omniweapon” idea (any creature of any type can use the weapon) and further expands it [although it cannot be applied to ranged weapons (and thus cannot confer the property to ammunition), a ”Ghost touch” omniweapon could be morphed to a thrown weapon and thus hit creatures from afar (the weapon can “always” strike its target)]
    10) “Aptitude” also serves the “omniweapon” idea (any creature can use the weapon in any way it knows/usually does without hindrance). It is also the reason why I didn't include {Scrubbed}
    11) “Returning” also serves the “omniweapon” idea (the weapon is always at its master’s side) and is still usable in the case the weapon is morphed to a thrown weapon
    12) “Returning” ‘s “This enchantment can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown.” does not prevent a melee weapon from having the enchantment if the omniweapon was created from the start as a thrown weapon and then morphed for use according to the needs of the moment or if the melee weapon to be the omniweapon was originally created as a melee weapon with the “Morphing” enhancement and “Returning” was added later while it was morphed to a thrown weapon
    13) “Flying” also serves the “omniweapon” idea [the weapon can be used by any creature (even armless ones) and serves its master at all times, even with their hands full]
    14) “Flying” can duplicate “Animated”
    15) A double weapon is preferred, because adding the same enhancements to both ends (although extremely expensive) will allow all double weapons produced through “Morphing” to also contain all enhancements

Abbreviations
    1) MIC: Magic Item Compendium
    2) ToM: Tome of Magic
    3) PGtF: Player’s Guide to Faerûn
    4) RoF: Races of Faerûn
    5) Und: Underdark
    6) DMG: Dungeon Master’s Guide
    7) ToB: Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords
    8) MoF: Magic of Faerûn

Need some help to decide on which of the special bilities will finally be included! So far I lean towards +1 Shadowstriking Morphing Sizing Ghost touch Aptitude Returning Flying (double) weapon, as this combination seems to be the one that covers most bases, though I wonder if there is a better one...

Also, the aforementioned combination ends up with a total enhancement bonus of +10 - the highest allowed pre epic, or 200.000 gp in cash. Now, since I have never been in a high enough level campaign, I need some clarifications. For one, if memory serves right, a 20th level character's WBL total is 760,000 gp. I believe there is a rule somewhere stating that you cannot own an item worth more than 25% of your total WBL! So is this item unobtainable, or was this more a suggestion than a rule (or is there no such thing and I am remembering something else entirely)? And even if it is within a player's reach, to all you people who frequent the upper echelons of PC might, would such a weapon (not this specific combination, any +10 weapon) be a useful addition to your arsenal or would you prefer something cheaper to have more money for other stuff? And if your playstyle is such, would a double such weapon (or two such weapons) warrant the cost (I assume two double weapons is redundant )?

Finally, the part that I know least about: material! Even with a special ability that allows it to change its composition [which I am not entirelly sure is how it is supposed to work (does it change its material or does it simply behave as if it was made form another material but retains its original properties?)], it needs to be made out of something! The best option optimization wise (although rather expensive) would be riverine from Stormwrack, but I think I once saw in a thread in this forum that there exist some substances that somewhat duplicate some of the special abilities I am thinking of using?

Furthermore, since I touched on pricing, how would you price such a thing? I think smaller weapons cost less, so if the omniweapon was created by Fine craftsmen for Fine creatures and then given the sizing ability it would cut back on its cost (and start earning its title ). Is that accurate? Does anyone have a better idea to economize such an endeavor?

So what do you think folks? Does it look good? Anything I can do better? Anything you would do better? Anything that can be done differently? Any suggestions/ideas/alternate routes?
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-11-28 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Omniweapon

Post reserved

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Make it an intelligent item.

The flying quality turns the weapon into an animated object of the appropriate type, but with the hit points and hardness of the base weapon. This means a Flying weapon counts as a creature with 1 HD. If you Also give it an intelligence of >=3, it's a legal creature for taking class levels.

It's also a +0 LA race/template, as missing fields are treated as not modifying the creature's stats.

Take note WOTC, this is how you make a Proper weapon that levels with the user. Legacy weapons can burn in a fire.

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsworn View Post
    Sizing (+1 bonus) MIC p.43 & Und p.69:
    MIC: Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire (swift action)
    Und: The wielder of a sizing weapon can change its size category as a standard action. For example, a Small short sword can be changed into a Large short sword.
    FYI, the Sizing ability was changed to be a flat cost in the MIC. Another useful flat cost ability for "a weapon good against any enemy" would be the flat cost Everbright (MIC), which grants the weapon immunity to acid/rust attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsworn View Post
    Flying {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Note: Oriental Adventures were published later than Magic of Faerûn (October and August of 2001), and has Flying weapon too:
    Flying: Up to three times a day, by holding the weapon aloft in one hand and speaking the command word, the wielder can fly for up to 50 minutes, almost as if using the fly spell. The weapon pulls the character through the air, so the character cannot use the arm holding the weapon while flying. The character need not hold the weapon in his primary hand, and can use his free hand to attack or perform other actions.
    Caster Level: 5th;
    Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fly;
    Market Price: +16,200 gp.
    Shouldn't it - as the more recent - be the current actual Flying weapon special ability?
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-11-28 at 11:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Note: Oriental Adventures were published later than Magic of Faerûn (October and August of 2001), and has Flying weapon too:

Shouldn't it - as the more recent - be the current actual Flying weapon special ability?
    Considering that the magic of faerun flying enhancement has nothing to do with the oriental flying enhancement? They're entirely separate and unrelated enhancements.

One make the user fly, the other animates the weapon to fight on it's own the same way you would an animated shield.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...aterials-Index

Here is the link to the special materials index, which may help you in your journey
    Thanks, this will come in handy. Although I am looking for the advice of people with in-game experience of using any materials, so if anyone would be willing to submit their two coppers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
    Make it an intelligent item.

The flying quality turns the weapon into an animated object of the appropriate type, but with the hit points and hardness of the base weapon. This means a Flying weapon counts as a creature with 1 HD. If you Also give it an intelligence of >=3, it's a legal creature for taking class levels.

It's also a +0 LA race/template, as missing fields are treated as not modifying the creature's stats.

Take note WOTC, this is how you make a Proper weapon that levels with the user. Legacy weapons can burn in a fire.
    I have never even looked at Legacy weapons, so I can't share your resentment, but the idea is excellent. Probably for later levels though, as this would most likely be ruled as an additional party member, which the DM may or may not allow you to control! In addition, giving it class levels is an entirely different can of worms - depending on optimization levels, party balance could be derailed

Quote Originally Posted by FauxKnee View Post
    FYI, the Sizing ability was changed to be a flat cost in the MIC. Another useful flat cost ability for "a weapon good against any enemy" would be the flat cost Everbright (MIC), which grants the weapon immunity to acid/rust attacks.
    By "flat cost", do you mean you pay the price but it is no longer considered a special ability, so it no longer consumes an ability slot or raises their prices? Because if so, this is AWESOME (I really have to dive into that book at some point!)!!!!

I have considered everbright, but I have to figure out the material the weapon will be made of first, or it could be redundant. Also, would it be appropriate for a morphing weapon hit by a rust effect to morph in a "repaired" state ala shapechangers returning to their natural form after being polymorphed? Would that be RAW (because it definitely isn't RAI)?

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post

I didn't know that

This really hurts, as flying was miles above animated

On the other hand, this gives me another tool in my neverending quest to figure out a build and a weapon that properly emmulates Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
    Considering that the magic of faerun flying enhancement has nothing to do with the oriental flying enhancement? They're entirely separate and unrelated enhancements.

One make the user fly, the other animates the weapon to fight on it's own the same way you would an animated shield.
    I may be wrong here, but I believe that when two abilities (be it templates, races, base classes, prestige classes, spells, class features, weapons, weapon special abilities or whatever else) are published in two different sources under the exact same name and are not explicitly stated to be separate abilities, then the later one is considered the revised and thus the "correct" one, superseding the previous which then becomes furthermore unavailable. There is a rule about that in the PhB or DMG iirc, and I believe this is what ShurikVch refers to. Of course, in your game or with DM approval you are free to ignore that and use whatever ability you want, but the rule stands
    Last edited by Dragonsworn; 2022-11-30 at 07:15 AM.