New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default How can I cast a spell into an item for it to be casted again and again?

Hi,

we start level 3, I'm an artificer and I want to make the life of people in the city as best as I can.

I would like to cast spells into objects. Low level spells like mending, prestidigitation, creat water at the beginning and make better as we level.

It could change dramatically the way the commoners live.

I found spell clock but it's way too expansive at 130 000 gp

I have vague memories of a way to make a trap that cast repeatedly the same spell over and over and cost like 4x less than a infinite wand of the same spells but I cannot find anything. The item cannot move but that's exactly what I want since it's for public use.

I remember a book that was talking about constructing castle that was talking about this kind of items.

Do you know items that could do it?
    How would you help a city as an artificier?

We can use dragon magazines, all 3.5 and pathfinder books.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.
    Last edited by Zhepna; 2022-11-28 at 11:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: How can I cast a spell into an item for it to be casted again and again?

You're looking tor auto reseting traps, luckly they are available in the SRD https://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: How can I cast a spell into an item for it to be casted again and again?

Auto-resetting traps of beneficial spells are widely considered to be an oversight by the developers and thus very cheesy. Check with your DM before using trap rules this way.

Other options:
    - Eternal Wands are one way to cast low-level spells once per day forever.
    - Minor Schema are very similar to Eternal Wands.
    - Energy Transformation Field + anything with an at-will SLA (level 1 warlock for example) can lead to repeatable beneficial spells.
    - Collar of Perpetual Attendance gives you an at-will Unseen Servant, which can greatly improve quality of life by doing many simple tasks. Note that the item is from an April Fools article, but nothing prevents it from being usable in a normal game.

edit: If you can't find someone with low level SLAs for Energy Transformation Field, the spell Call Faithful Servants can give you 1d4 of them for a full YEAR. Lantern Archons definitely have an at-will SLA, I suspect the other options may too.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2022-11-29 at 01:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How can I cast a spell into an item for it to be casted again and again?

You can create custom, at-will, use activated wondrous architecture at a cost of 500x spell level x caster level (half of that to craft), so for a cost of 125g and 10xp you could create an infinite water fountain
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Drow House Insignia can store spells up to 3rd lvl. They are usable once a day and need no requirements to do so (compared to eternal wands where the user needs to be an arcane caster). Maybe you can adapt it without being a drow if your DM is willing.

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Races of Stone has Rune Circles, which are just generic, immobile magic items that cost only 25% normal as compensation for being immobile. Also, Rune Circles get a cost adjustment based on size, because it effects how many people can benefit from it at the same time. The default size is 10 ft. x 10 ft., and a 5 ft. x 5 ft. Rune Circle gets a 50% cost reduction.

Stronghold Builder’s Guide has many specific immobile items listed, some of which were reprinted in Draconomicon. I believe there are also a smattering of items scattered around various other book.

I seem to recall a general rule that magic items that are difficult to move should cost only 50% normal, and magic items that are essentially impossible to move should cost only 25% normal. I’m not sure where that was printed though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I seem to recall a general rule that magic items that are difficult to move should cost only 50% normal, and magic items that are essentially impossible to move should cost only 25% normal. I’m not sure where that was printed though.
    Thats the wondrous architecture rules i quoted earlier, theyre in stronghold builders guide.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Self-resetting traps and custom magic items require special DM permission and for good reason. Abusing them goes directly against the intent and the right price is one that makes it similarly desirable to to existing items. But a custom magic item is what you want. Explain the situation openly to your DM without trying to cut corners for an unfair discount.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2022-11-30 at 10:20 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The player is giving away their wealth to NPCs, not increasing their own personal power. Calling that "abuse" is... perplexing.

If I were DM, I'd give the party extra loot if there was an understanding that they were going to toss it to charity. No reason the players should be punished for choosing to RP altruistic characters.

Ideally, the game wouldn't have been designed so that a +1 sword costs more than an unskilled laborer makes in 50 years. It raises uncomfortable questions about how many poor people you could feed with the money adventurers ask for their services.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

You could use spell clocks; they cast their spells every hour.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.