New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Half-fiend spell resistance: RHD only or HD inclusive of class levels?

Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).
    I've seen it claimed here that "spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10" only applies to RHD. What is the consensus?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Half-fiend spell resistance: RHD only or HD inclusive of class levels?

Its possible to read it in either way, just depends on whether you think the ability snapshots or not.

That being said, if you think the template snapshots, then you should apply that logic consistently, and also snapshot the spell-like abilities that they get.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Half-fiend spell resistance: RHD only or HD inclusive of class levels?

By RAW you don't increase Spell Resistance when advancing a monster by HD, but the MM2 had a note hidden away which suggests otherwise. The general idea was that SR was meant to keep pace with a creature's CR (11+CR) because SR "should" have a default 50/50 chance of lolnoping a spell, absent the player investing in things like Spell Penetration (or SR flat out not applying). So at this point it becomes a DM job to judge what he thinks SR should be doing at the levels the game is running at.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    By RAW you don't increase Spell Resistance when advancing a monster by HD
    Pretty sure specific trumps general in this case. Most monsters with SR just have a fixed number listed, but half-fiend (and many other templates) explicitly say that their SR is based on HD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for the replies. This all makes sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that the book just says HD without specifying racial HD, I'd say class levels count towards the SR in this case. Compare the Half-Dragon's breath weapon DC formula, which does specify racial HD, meaning that if the half-fiend's SR was only supposed to be based on racial HD the book would have indicated as such.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    I've seen it claimed here that "spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10" only applies to RHD. What is the consensus?
    AFAIK, if creature have 2 or more racial HD - then it's for racial HD only
    But it it have less than 2 HD - their racial HD would be replaced by class HD, and thus - SR would be calculated from class HD