A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dracula (Netflix Castlevania) VS The Scooby Gang (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No she isnt all that. Her universe generally operates on a lower scale of power.
    So she dont need nearly as much of it to wreck vampires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I mean, within the limits of it being a 90s TV show with limited budget and stunt choreography, yes. She kills several world-ending threats and gods.
    Yes makes sense. Within any story, the hero is only as strong as they need to be.
    Time to Chill Out - 5e base class contest

Hold My Ale! Current subclass contest!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dracula (Netflix Castlevania) VS The Scooby Gang (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

It's also that we're kind of told she's stronger than what's shown on screen. She fights a lot of guys in rubber masks and the very occasional CG monster. We're told that she's incredibly strong and fast, but for the most part is still played by a tiny young woman who's pretty limber and good at gymnastics, not a superhero.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

It's also that we're kind of told she's stronger than what's shown on screen. She fights a lot of guys in rubber masks and the very occasional CG monster. We're told that she's incredibly strong and fast, but for the most part is still played by a tiny young woman who's pretty limber and good at gymnastics, not a superhero.
    And the uncanny dissonance between the telling and the showing…and just letting go and having fun with the showing…is that camp?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Well she can also be incredibly strong and fast, especially for someone her size, and still fall short of the task.
    Since most of the things she murder is just a danger to other humans.

While Castlevanias Dracula is a challenge for a mid-tier Marvel hero, with his combination of strength, speed, toughness and vampire/magic tricks.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well she can also be incredibly strong and fast, especially for someone her size, and still fall short of the task.
    Since most of the things she murder is just a danger to other humans.

While Castlevanias Dracula is a challenge for a mid-tier Marvel hero, with his combination of strength, speed, toughness and vampire/magic tricks.
    Eh. . . High Tier MCU hero, imho.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

That's not really the biggest problem. The biggest one is that it's the rule, rather than the exception, that a regular named human character can hold their own or even win against your average unnamed vampire, and Buffy isn't that much stronger than a regular vampire. Hell, Buffy's friends were even able to kill the ubervamps at the end of the show. It isn't just that the show doesn't have the special effects to pull of MCU-level feats, it's that the show actively avoids showing that kind of gap between a regular human and a slayer.

It's a deliberate creative choice which makes sense when the premise of the show is "High school student and her friends fight vampires" and not "Superhero team fights alien invasion".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thinking more on this, if we are allowing the canon comics that go up to season 12, pretty sure Buffy and the scoobies have enough fire power to take out well fed Dracula. Without budget limits that the show imposed, a lot of what was implied was actually shown, like how she can flip cars and dodge bullets. I think the only real downer though is Willow was never reverted to Dark Willow (who was a global threat at one point so yeah, she can solo Sypha), and I think Spike is permanently dead. Though Angel more than makes up for the loss of a seasoned vampire slayer slayer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Thinking more on this, if we are allowing the canon comics that go up to season 12, pretty sure Buffy and the scoobies have enough fire power to take out well fed Dracula. Without budget limits that the show imposed, a lot of what was implied was actually shown, like how she can flip cars and dodge bullets. I think the only real downer though is Willow was never reverted to Dark Willow (who was a global threat at one point so yeah, she can solo Sypha), and I think Spike is permanently dead. Though Angel more than makes up for the loss of a seasoned vampire slayer slayer.
    Hrm I don't know. I haven't seen the show in 20 years and never read the comics lol.