A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 89 of 89
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    When the paladin opens their senses, opening their eyes after their eyes are already open, they see - nothing. No devils or demons spring from the Fog; no ghosts or ghouls are revealed.

    If there are such monsters abroad, they aren't quite here yet.

    The tracks, when examined, show to be mostly human - a thick morass of booted and, oddly unshod feet killed around and entered the tower, and then left. Mixed in with those are a set of tracks of something that would almost be human - but too big and too light to be a human or giantsblood, even if you'd disregard the clawmarks. Like no beast you know of, though.

    The Bishop, for his part, mills the idea of this being a extraplanar incident. The Fog certainly does not seem mundane, but that's not saying that it's come from somewhere else, as such. The rumours and reports of fiends and undead give it more credence, but nothing could be said for certain at this stage - if it was, which plane of existence, and especially one could not yet say why.


    Those going in push in through the door. It creaks mournfully as they force it open, stepping into the cool dark, and as they do so, the voice gets louder. It's a man's voice, hoarse and cracking from unending speech and lack of drink.

    "-all back. Oh, I see, I see, it's all here. Aahh, it hurts, it hurts. Oh, God-In-Two, what'd we do? Mama, please-"

    The speaker is inside.

    The room they see is wide and open, without stairs upwards. The floor is simply compressed earth scattered with hay. The ceiling is thick wooden beams, around the height of the higher door out there, and the room is scattered with broken crates. Abandoned halters for horses swing from a rack next to a pile of hay. The only light is what comes in through the door, sickly and weak, casting everything in dim light. Glass from a shattered lantern crunches underfoot.

    "-he wants it all back. Oh, it hurts."

    A man still half-clad in the armour of the Ginneron Legion stands with his back to you, bloody and filthy. He's drawn on the wall with his own lifeblood, now dried to crusted black; something you can only just make out in the gloom - an enormous craggy tower, studded with the little marks of windows, the top tattered. Around the base, tiny buildings rise like foothills before the mountain.

    Above it, he's drawn swirling clouds, and from them a huge set of jaws emerges, ready to devour the city below.

    "Oh, you're here," he says, suddenly and terribly calm. "She showed me you would. Mama did. She held a light and it hurt to look at, so much, but she made me look and now I've seen it. Seen it? Have I seen?"

    He turns to look at you - but his face is a crusted sleet of red, his eyes ruined, nose missing, infection already beginning to bloom along his damaged flesh. He clutches at his head and groans.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog



    Mineva Du Tiger, Pyrani
    Human Drakewarden Ranger | Drake
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44 | AC: 17 HP: 30/30
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 15 | PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -- | Draconic Essence: Acid
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour) |

    "Easy." Mineva mutters in draconic to Pyrani. Whatever's wrong with the man, the drake was ready to leap and tear, and Mineva wasn't exactly far behind. If this was the man they'd been told of - Yarrick - then it seemed they were too late for him. Putting him down now might be a mercy. "You Yarrick? Your people back at the camp talked 'bout ya. Didn' say it outright but they wanted you back safe'n'sound." Though she quietly doubts they'd take him at this point.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Medicine check to see if knows anything about his affliction, even tangentially related: (1d20+5)[7]


    Spoiler: Mineva's Mental Notes
    Show

    Spoiler: People
    Show

    Refugee Camp
    Yvonne - Paladin (red).
    Soldiers - Kinda useless honestly!
    Lady Temperance Du Azeric - Noble lady, decent swordswoman, looking for her family in the fog.
    Maria (Temperance's Maid) - Nice lass, probably best she doesn't come along though. Possibly going to Count Albret's estate.


    Spoiler: Non-Party Quests
    Show

    Find Temperance's Family - They're probably dead, but we should try anyway. Best chance is the Du Azeric estate.
    Chapelbound Paladins - Yvonne's fellows were headed to St. Annelise's Chapel - mounted. Likely at least a day or two away to the north. Also probably dead or cursed or both.
    Yarrick the Brave - The one soldier who went into the fog. Has one of the two keys for it. Given the short distance he might've made it to safety. If he's lucky.



    Spoiler: Misc.
    Show

    None (yet)


    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Brightmore IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC
    Cyre Blue IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Bishop Tair Flan
    Human Light Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 38/38
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    "Peace, man. Would you like to sit down and rest for a moment now that we are here? It sounds like you've had a rough time of it and could use a bit of rest."
    Tair studies the man to try to determine what's going on, while trying to keep him from snapping any further.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Persuasion (1d20+4)[9]
    Insight (1d20+6)[14]
    Medicine (1d20+3)[22]

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Hnefa ┌lfsdˇttir
    Giantblood Rune Knight
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44
    PP: 15 PInv: 9 PIns: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Hnefa had remained outside to guard their rear. Losing patience, she calls out "What's going on in there?"


  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Rantah Mograth
    Half-Orc Ancients Paladin
    AC: 18 HP: 44/44
    PP: 11 PInv: 10 PIns: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    In Rantah's village, there are abilities that are passed from a generation to the next. Outsiders would call them magic, but to the greenskins, they are simply a manifestation of their god's power. One of them is used to accelerate healing, although saving people from mortal wounds or curing terminal diseases is extremely hard and usually takes the most talented users among the greenskins. Rantah was not a specialist, but she made sure to learn the basics as she grew up.

    But now, as Rugir's chosen champion, she had a feeling she could use it to achieve healing way beyond what any greenskin could normally do.

    This was probably a dumb move, though, as the man looked dangerous, but Rantah felt like she just had to do something to help him.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Use Lay on Hands to try to heal the man's disease.


  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Among the first to enter the tower, Germonde is absolutely shocked by what he sees. The senseless muttering, the horrible picture on the wall, the mangled man in front of them, made worse by the fact that Germonde has a nagging suspicion that he inflicted those wounds on himself, the noble fencer wouldn't consider himself a weak-hearted man, but other members of the group are already moving forward to try to help and this really is a gruesome scene and there's that question from outside. He steps out to find what air he can, passing Hnefa at the door. "It's that soldier we heard about," he answers, finding the fog-shrouded air less than the antidote he had hoped, "Yarrick was it? It's safe in there, I think, but what's happened to him is horrible. He's gone and...it'd be better just to look for yourself, I think."
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2023-01-05 at 06:25 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Hnefa ┌lfsdˇttir
    Giantblood Rune Knight
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44
    PP: 15 PInv: 9 PIns: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Hnefa's eyes widen with the news. She lowers her head and enters. " What's the-oh..." She cups her hand over her nose and mouth as she approaches the broken man, trying to discern if the wounds were caused by claw or blade, or something else. "Can we get some light in here?"

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Tarig, Sage of the Deep Woods
    Human Mercy Monk
    AC: 17 HP: 38/38
    Ki: 4/5 Stance: -
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Tarig winced a bit as he saw the disfigured man but he took a deep breath and cradles the insane man with one hand as another glows faintly as the monk touches the wounded man's collar bone.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Healing Hand (1d6+3)[5] I hope this helps at least with open wounds. Healing old wounds like that is a slippery slope I can accept that the magic does nothing.


  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    The man gives a long, broken lowing, somewhere between a laugh and a sob.
    "Yarrick- a Yarrick, marick, parick- oh mama, I've seen it."
    The blinded soldier is obviously missing his eyes, and his body is battered and bloody through his raggedy armour, but he's mess enough the Du Tiger can't tell any cause or consequence beyond the obvious.

    The giantsblood has a bit more success. The poor mutilated soldier sighs in relief as some of the infected swelling along his jaw reduces at the paladin's touch, his wounds less raw at the old man's. His tics and mutterings slightly reduced, perhaps more in relief of pain than anything the bishop says.

    Hnefa can see it looks like many of his wounds are savage tearing injuries, as if by claw or jagged blade, but his eyes - the residue along his cheeks and nose suggest they did nothing less than burst, though the God-In-Two only knows what could have caused that.

    There's a creak at the door as Temperance barrels in. Her gleaming rapier is drawn, and her voice is tightly controlled when she speaks. She recoils at the sight of the ruined man, but a sound from outside has her slam it shut and back away from the door, blade held ready.

    "There's things approaching - at least a half-dozen,"
    she says, voice flinty sharp. "I didn't see them clearly - but they didn't move like people. And- can you smell that?"

    A faint smell is detectable - foul and sweet, the scent of rot.

    The soldier giggles, each exclamation dripping from his chapped lips like a nail into a coffin.

    "Mama's back," he says, sing-song, "And now you'll see, too, see like me-"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Bishop Tair Flan
    Human Light Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 38/38
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    "Check to make sure there's not another way in we're not guarding, then let's set up around the door." Bishop Flan walks over to the man decisively. "Whatever has happened has affected your mind. Be healed." (he casts Remove Curse)

    "Yarrick. How do you feel now?"

    The Bishop is suggesting setting up a U-shaped killbox at the door, so enemies have enough room to come in only one at a time, where three to five of the party can surround them.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog



    Mineva Du Tiger, Pyrani
    Human Drakewarden Ranger | Drake
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44 | AC: 17 HP: 30/30
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 15 | PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -- | Draconic Essence: Acid
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour) |

    Mineva acts quickly, tugging Kibeth first into one of the empty areas for horses out of the way, and then dragging parts of the shattered crates and boxes towards the door, to serve as cover and to slow the thing's advance. "Things stink o'rot." She lights a torch, bringing radiance to the room they're in, before tossing it forwards to leave her hands free. If she had more time she might have used it to fashion flaming arrows, but if the rotters were so close then she'd have to make do. Pyrani doesn't need instructions, they're already waiting to fight, body tense, claws sharp, teeth bared.

    "Two drinks says I take down the most." It's a tension breaker, for her and the others, as she tugs an arrow from her quiver and readies it. They'd all be fighting for their life, so it's not their motivation she's concerned about, it's them panicking. A boast of levity might help, or so she hopes.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    If Remove Curse doesn't seem to do anything, I suggest we tie Yarrick up/down in case he acts up during the fight.


    Spoiler: Mineva's Mental Notes
    Show

    Spoiler: People
    Show

    Refugee Camp
    Yvonne - Paladin (red).
    Soldiers - Kinda useless honestly!
    Lady Temperance Du Azeric - Noble lady, decent swordswoman, looking for her family in the fog.
    Maria (Temperance's Maid) - Nice lass, probably best she doesn't come along though. Possibly going to Count Albret's estate.


    Spoiler: Non-Party Quests
    Show

    Find Temperance's Family - They're probably dead, but we should try anyway. Best chance is the Du Azeric estate.
    Chapelbound Paladins - Yvonne's fellows were headed to St. Annelise's Chapel - mounted. Likely at least a day or two away to the north. Also probably dead or cursed or both.
    Yarrick the Brave - The one soldier who went into the fog. Has one of the two keys for it. Seems pretty cursed.



    Spoiler: Misc.
    Show

    None (yet)


    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Brightmore IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC
    Cyre Blue IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Rantah Mograth
    Half-Orc Ancients Paladin
    AC: 18 + 2 HP: 44/44
    PP: 11 PInv: 10 PIns: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Shield of Faith

    "Only two? Sounds like you don't think you are going to win! Deal." - Rantah replies, noticing the human's intent and playing along.

    Then she touches the bear fang on her necklace, and light comes out of it. It then surrounds Rantah's body and takes its shape, as a second skin, before disappearing. But the magic is still there.

    Rantah then takes a combat stance right in front of the door, at the center of the U formation they are making, ready to be the first thing the enemy sees when it enters.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Cast Shield of Faith on myself. Ac is now 20.

    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2023-01-11 at 07:57 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    [QUOTE=Ophiuchus;25672810]
    Hnefa ┌lfsdˇttir
    Giantblood Rune Knight
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44
    PP: 15 PInv: 9 PIns: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Hnefa grips her trident with both hands, approaching the door from the hinge position. She presses her massive shoulder against it. "Let them fight the door first! And we'll chop off whatever limbs that get through!"

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Germonde is quick on Lady Temperance's heels on the way back into the stables. He quickly scans the room in response to the bishop's suggestion, mostly looking for some way up to the rest of the tower, but there's nothing--no stairs, no ladder, nothing. "One way in," he answers, "but only one way out, too. If they're happy just cooping us up here, that door turns against us."

    Nevertheless, he takes a position beside the other warriors, raising his shield, firming his grip on his weapon, and waiting for the enemy to make a try at the door.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    The bishop's magic sinks into the man, and he groans, long and low, like a wounded animal. Without any warning, he crumples forward onto his face. A check on his pulse reveals it erratic, unsteady, but the man's alive - simply unconcious, and he's moved to the back out the way.

    The group get into position. For a long moment, they stare the door, waiting for the foe.

    Scraping sounds outside reveal something directly outside. Another moment of silence, and then-

    Bam. Bam. Bam.


    Something knocks on the door, a triple stattaco of hard knocks strong enough the bulky door rattles in its frame a little.

    Then a voice speaks.

    Spoiler
    Show




    "Oh, little ones, I smell you in there. Won't you come out to say hello?"


    It's a horrible, gurgling voice, wet and harsh, like that of a man drowned in gore. The stink of rot gets stronger, creeping around the rim of the door.

    Bam. Bam. Bam.

    The door creaks under the strength of the impacts.

    "Oh, little ones. Open the door and let me in. I have something to show you."

    Now a cluster of other grave-voices join in. Grating and groaning, wheezing and pained, they sound out.

    Help us- let us in- come out- you'll see- it hurts- let us in-

    Bam. Bam. Bam.

    Things scrabble at the wood, something screeching off the iron banding.

    "God-in-two, protect us," Temperance says shakily. The point of her rapier, leveled at the door, quivers slightly.

    "Come out, little ones. Open the door. Don't you want to see?"

    One of the boards of the door, thick oak, cracks as they're dented in. Through the sliver-like gaps, shines in an awful light. It's a cold light, chilling whatever it shines, but there's a sort of- pattern in it, showing something much bigger, but the amount spilling through the cracks so far means that you can't get an impression of what it means.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Bishop Tair Flan
    Human Light Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 38/38
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Bless (Temperance, Rantah, Tarig, Hnefa)

    "Protection indeed, through both defense and attack." The Bishop casts Bless on Temperance, Rantah, Tarig, and Hnefa.

    (2nd level)
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-01-13 at 02:48 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Rantah Mograth
    Half-Orc Ancients Paladin
    AC: 20 (18+2) HP: 44/44
    PP: 11 PInv: 10 PIns: 14
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Shield of Faith

    A chill goes through the half-orc's spine as she hears the voice, but she has come to this place expecting much worse. It is time to prove her worth.

    She calmly pulls her halberd back and prepares to slash the thing behind the door as soon as it exposes itself.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Ready an attack: 13. Damage: 8
    Iniatiative: 9

    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2023-01-13 at 05:40 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog



    Mineva Du Tiger, Pyrani
    Human Drakewarden Ranger | Drake
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44 | AC: 17 HP: 30/30
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 15 | PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -- | Draconic Essence: Acid
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour) |

    Mineva knocks an arrow to her bow. "You know what to do." She holds back from drawing it to its full strength just yet, that was a rookie mistake. She was fast enough on the draw and loose she could wait to aim.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Initiative: (1d20+5)[18]

    Mineva:-
    Ready Action: Longbow shot the first thing she can hit through the door. (1d20+10)[17] Damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    Bonus Action: Command Pyrani to ready for an attack.

    Pyrani:-
    Ready Action: Bite: (1d20+6)[17] Damage: (1d6+3)[4]


    Spoiler: Mineva's Mental Notes
    Show

    Spoiler: People
    Show

    Refugee Camp
    Yvonne - Paladin (red).
    Soldiers - Kinda useless honestly!
    Lady Temperance Du Azeric - Noble lady, decent swordswoman, looking for her family in the fog.
    Maria (Temperance's Maid) - Nice lass, probably best she doesn't come along though. Possibly going to Count Albret's estate.


    Spoiler: Non-Party Quests
    Show

    Find Temperance's Family - They're probably dead, but we should try anyway. Best chance is the Du Azeric estate.
    Chapelbound Paladins - Yvonne's fellows were headed to St. Annelise's Chapel - mounted. Likely at least a day or two away to the north. Also probably dead or cursed or both.
    Yarrick the Brave - The one soldier who went into the fog. Has one of the two keys for it. Seems pretty cursed.



    Spoiler: Misc.
    Show

    None (yet)


    [/QUOTE]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Brightmore IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC
    Cyre Blue IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Germonde braces himself with each blow against the door, waiting for the one that will finally do it in. He's unsure if gathering around the door to meet whatever's outside is as good a plan as it initially sounded, but there's no time to change course. From what Lady Temperance had seen, he hadn't expected something that could get through a stout door so quickly, and his thoughts go again to the condition of the lone legionnaire now unconscious on the ground behind him. With that in mind, the warrior steadies his breathing as he sheaths his blade, focuses on a muttered prayer in his people's ancient tongue as he draws the well-worn battleax he's carried since the camp, and waits for the door to break.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just putting away my sword and drawing the ax.

    Initiative: (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2023-01-14 at 01:51 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Hnefa ┌lfsdˇttir
    Giantblood Rune Knight
    AC: 17 HP: 44/44
    PP: 15 PInv: 9 PIns: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Hnefa clenches her jaw, groaning in paid as her body expands. She has grown to such height that she drops to one knee in order to keep her shoulder against the door. She draws her trident back, ready to thrust.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Initiative- 3
    Activate Giant's Might 1 of 3/long rest
    Ready action to attack with trident (two hands)
    to hit- 11
    dam- 11 piercing
    Last edited by Ophiuchus; 2023-01-15 at 07:26 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Bishop Flan
    Spoiler: init
    Show

    (1d20+2)[12]

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Tarig, Sage of the Deep Woods
    Human Mercy Monk
    AC: 17 HP: 38/38
    Ki: 4/5 Stance: -
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Okay, do not focus too much on the door. We need an exit strategy if we are overwhelmed. Rather elegantly, the old monk stands up without any unnecessary movements. He grips his trusty staff with both hands, ready to interject and uphold a perimeter between the door and the drakewarden.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Awful's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    With a terrible crash, a great portion of the door is staved in, and in shines a terrible light. The inside of the tower is cast in starch black and white, a sodium flare sending the shadows crawling to the corners. You're partly aware of horrible, ragged forms forcing aside the remains of the door and reaching in, but the light-

    It's painfully bright, of course, but what's worth is what's in the light. It's a pattern. It's a message. It's a truth that will eat you from the inside out - unless you block it out.

    Your eyes begin to sting.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Against the awful light, you have two choices.

    You can attempt to avert your eyes until the beginning of your next turn.
    This is a DC10 Dex save. However, since you're looking away, you can't see the enemy coming through the door.

    Passing this save means you suffer no consequences whatsoever. If you fail, you'll still take half damage.

    Or

    You can attempt to bear the pain and visions of the light, blocking it with force of will.

    This is a DC14 Wis save. If you pass, you take half damage and aren't blinded.

    If you fail, you take 3d8 radiant damage and are blinded until the end of your next turn.

    If you haven't rolled init, now is the time to do so. I'll run the preemptive attacks once it's clear if people have disadvantage or not.

    The enemy rolled:
    Mama: 15
    Children: 13
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Bishop Tair Flan
    Human Light Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 33/38
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Bless (Temperance, Rantah, Tarig, Hnefa)
    Init: 12
    The Bishop does not look away.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Wisdom save (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage (3d8)[11]
    Concentration check (1d20+2)[15] with advantage (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-01-26 at 10:04 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Hnefa ┌lfsdˇttir
    Giantblood Rune Knight
    AC: 17 HP: 31/44
    PP: 15 PInv: 9 PIns: 12
    Conditions: Blinded, Giant's Might
    Concentrating: --

    Hnefa is resolved to hold the door. She does not turn away as the radiant flare overcomes her vision.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative- 3
    Wis Save- 8(fail!)
    dam- 13 radiant
    to hit- 14
    dam- 13 piercing
    Last edited by Ophiuchus; 2023-01-27 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added ready attack

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Rantah Mograth
    Half-Orc Ancients Paladin
    AC: 20 (18+2) HP: 21/44
    PP: 11 PInv: 10 PIns: 14
    Conditions: Blind
    Concentrating: Shield of Faith

    Rantah tries to brace for the light.

    It is too much. Her mind was just not prepared for that. She is blinded by it, and suddenly feels pain in her whole body.

    But still she manages to endure the pain and keep the focus on her shield of faith.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Wis save: 12
    Damage: 23
    Concentration save: 25


  27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog



    Mineva Du Tiger, Pyrani
    Human Drakewarden Ranger | Drake
    AC: 17 HP: 35/44 | AC: 17 HP: 21/30
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 15 | PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -- | Draconic Essence: Acid
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour) |

    Mineva averts her eyes, trusting her own speed over her ability to withstands the cursed light, though Pyrani chooses to endure it, refusing to back down.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Mineva Averts her eyes. Dex Save: (1d20+8)[9]
    Adding disadvantage to the initial 17 attack roll: (1d20+10)[29]

    Pyrani endures it. Wis Save: (1d20+5)[20]
    (3d8)[18] radiant
    Adding disadvantage to the initial 17 attack roll if they fail: (1d20+6)[23]


    Spoiler: Mineva's Mental Notes
    Show

    Spoiler: People
    Show

    Refugee Camp
    Yvonne - Paladin (red).
    Soldiers - Kinda useless honestly!
    Lady Temperance Du Azeric - Noble lady, decent swordswoman, looking for her family in the fog.
    Maria (Temperance's Maid) - Nice lass, probably best she doesn't come along though. Possibly going to Count Albret's estate.


    Spoiler: Non-Party Quests
    Show

    Find Temperance's Family - They're probably dead, but we should try anyway. Best chance is the Du Azeric estate.
    Chapelbound Paladins - Yvonne's fellows were headed to St. Annelise's Chapel - mounted. Likely at least a day or two away to the north. Also probably dead or cursed or both.
    Yarrick the Brave - The one soldier who went into the fog. Has one of the two keys for it. Seems pretty cursed.



    Spoiler: Misc.
    Show

    None (yet)


    Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-01-27 at 06:24 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Brightmore IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC
    Cyre Blue IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Rantah Mograth
    Half-Orc Ancients Paladin
    AC: 20 (18+2) HP: 21/44
    PP: 11 PInv: 10 PIns: 14
    Conditions: Blind
    Concentrating: Shield of Faith

    Rantah tries to brace for the light.

    It is too much. Her mind was just not prepared for that. She is blinded by it, and suddenly feels pain in her whole body.

    But still she manages to endure the pain and keep the focus on her shield of faith.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Wis save: 12
    Damage: 23
    Concentration save: 25

    Then she remembers she is still holding her halberd in a position perfect for slashing something, so she lets it go, hoping to at least hit one of the smaller ones.

    She does, and the halberd produces a light as strong as the thing that just blinded her. But unlike that, the halberd's light is blessed by a good aligned god, so looking at it only makes a normal person feel good, instead of sick.

    Or at least that is how Rantah remembers it, because her eyes are still closed.

    Spoiler
    Show
    16 damage from hit + smite

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: IC - Ginneron's Fog

    Tarig, Sage of the Deep Woods
    Human Mercy Monk
    AC: 17 HP: 38/38
    Ki: 4/5 Stance: -
    Conditions: "averting eyes" (not seeing enemies), dodge (disadv. for enemies)
    Concentration: -

    Tarig knew truths like that. He had to look away. It was not worth it, it was never worth it. He did not want to become the stereotypical blind hermit from the forest, damn it. With that however, Tarig concentrated on his defense rather than his offense. Any change, a sound, difference in temperature or smell would have to suffice for now.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Init 23
    Dex Save 19
    Dodge Action.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •