New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Worldbuilding Tools?

I'm looking for a tool to make worldbuilding graphs. The idea is I can put notes about something (a place or a NPC or an adventuring location) and connect it with hyperlinks to other stuff.

Right now I'm considering just using a Wiki, but there aren't great visualization tools for that.

If my locations had "geographic connection" links and I could display every location at a certain "tier" of granularity, plus *only* geographic connections, I could in essence auto-generate a map.

Meanwhile, the fact a location is linked to another due to politics or non-geographical reasons wouldn't show up.

Obsidian note taking app is another option, but it doesn't have the idea of links themselves having types. I could make each link its own node, but that gets pretty awkward; like "City X has a link that is a water trip from X to Y which has a link to Y" awkward.

Ideally I'd also be able to split each node into "PC knowledge" vs "DM knowledge" nodes, and be able to have a image with links to the nodes; but I don't want to force the image to be first.

Does anyone know of any good tools that could help?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Worldbuilding Tools?

I wish I did... this is something similar to what i have been looking for for a while.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wishing for something like this myself. And a way to add hyperlinks to maps, too.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Obsidian with https://github.com/SkepticMystic/breadcrumbs plugin might do the trick.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Obsidian with [removed because no links apparently, even in quotes] plugin might do the trick.
    when you say obsidian, are you referring to the website obsidianportal or something else?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm learning to use Notion.so for this. The lazy DM has some templates.

The site allows for database links and views, automatically generated backlinks and the like. Pretty flexible, but it does have a learning curve. I'm pretty far off from becoming an expert.

Still, it's free. You could check it out.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CanisLunis View Post
    when you say obsidian, are you referring to the website obsidianportal or something else?
    No -- https://obsidian.md/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    If my locations had "geographic connection" links and I could display every location at a certain "tier" of granularity, plus *only* geographic connections, I could in essence auto-generate a map.

Meanwhile, the fact a location is linked to another due to politics or non-geographical reasons wouldn't show up.
    So this kind of thing, the layering of geographic information with access to other kinds of information, is what GIS does, broadly. Unfortunately, using it for fictional data is complicated and difficult because you have to build absolutely everything yourself. However, I haven't seriously used GIS in many years. There are free programs to run it now and it may be easier to put together fictional data layers for use.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting