New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default My Impossible Soulmate

A new comic series from the creator of Rain, called My Impossible Soulmate, has launched today on ComicFury.

The author described it as a romance first, along with coming-of-age and fantasy adventure. It also has an almost all queer cast, and part of the story will probably involve the characters coming to terms with being queer.

It's a loose spin-off of the author's previous comic, Rain. Rain was a realistic fiction comic with no magic, but all the characters in the comic read a metafictional manga called *Black Wings Kanimari*. *My Impossible Soulmate* is a prequel about the fictional author of BWK who travels to an alternate world with magic that eventually inspires her to write fantasy manga.

The first page of MIS introduces the first two main characters, Chiaki and Fumiko, both of whom make a strong first impression on me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: My Impossible Soulmate

Been hyped for the launch for a while. Only found out about Rain a few months ago and immediately binged the whole thing twice. I can’t think of another webcomic with such well rounded characters who feel lik real people instead of archetypes for a story.

I’m very interested to see what Jocelyn can do with the freedom of a fantasy setting.

3. - Top - End - #3

Yep. Although, the "freedom of the setting" is somewhat limited by the fact that Chiaki has to come back and write BWK based on her adventure.

I'm also quite happy to see Chiaki is struggling with her situation the way a real person would: she isn't just like "okay, I'm a comic protagonist, time for me to save the world."
    Last edited by 137beth; 2023-01-07 at 04:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Post Re: My Impossible Soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    Yep. Although, the "freedom of the setting" is somewhat limited by the fact that Chiaki has to come back and write BWK based on her adventure.
    I personally think that the question of the comic isn't "IF" Chiaki will come back home. The question is HOW?
    We also need to know why she ended up there too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

With an isekai setup you aren't really that limited. Chiaki could get back home by dying in the fantasy world for all we know. I don't consider this likely (Jocelyn isn't that sort of writer) but it's within the realm of possibilites. A real-world coma does seem likely so far, or a Narnia-style "return to the moment you left".

We also know little enough about BWK that there isn't much holding back a faithful retelling of her adventures. We have a couple of individual early scenes along with a good summary of Kaminari's backstory as told by Rain. Other than that it's mostly "Kaminari and her friends went on adventures".

Personally, I'm thinking Kaminari is going to be an amalgamation from a few sources. I'm betting Nagisa's backstory will somehow resemble Kaminari's, with a big chunk of Chiaki in there. Add in the trans allegory and blend well.

I'm curious now about the other characters from BWK. None of them map cleanly onto the character previews for MIS.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Apparently Chapter 2 is gonna start on March 13th Monday.

Here's the chapter cover. I'm assuming its going to be about discussing the rules of this world as well as a bit of Belial's (the pink demon girl with scars) backstory.

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm excited to Toria and back!