A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Hades II - Death to Cronos

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Off the top of my head...

Drunk for Pan, Reflect for Hestia, Marked for Hera, Doom for that one Doom Incarnate guy they showed off. I'm sure others could could up with others as well.

Also given Minny fights using witch craft and magic it may very well be she does not use ANY of Zag's stuff. Why would she, he's trained in melee combat and blessed by certain gods, she's trained in witch magics and blessed by different gods.
    1) I'm guessing she'll have both melee and ranged options like Zag himself does.

2) As I mentioned previously, I want some of the cast to return not merely because of the abilities they might provide, but because they were entertaining characters in their own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

One could argue Hephaistos showed up because of his hammers, but fair. Otherwise agreed on all counts- though I'll note Hera not showing up despite her being the patron of marriage and stuff is fitting given the lengths Hades and Persephone went through to hide it from even her eyes.
    The hammer was actually Daedalos the inventor, not Hephaistos.

Edit: also, surely, Pan should have the effect of Panic, i.e. making enemies run awa from you.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-12-14 at 05:19 AM.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

3. - Top - End - #33

So, putting a few story ideas together. They are going with Cronos = time. Reasonable, even the Greeks did that, even though Kronos and Chronos were originally different Gods.

Anyway. We have Time. And we have Persephone and Hades back together, without Demeter really knowing about it. Maybe this game will partially be about how the seasons are going weird because of this?
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    The hammer weren't Hephaestus' hammers. They were Daedalus' hammers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The hammer was actually Daedalos the inventor, not Hephaistos.

Edit: also, surely, Pan should have the effect of Panic, i.e. making enemies run awa from you.
    Yeah thanks you two. I just forgot, is all.

So, putting a few story ideas together. They are going with Cronos = time. Reasonable, even the Greeks did that, even though Kronos and Chronos were originally different Gods.

Anyway. We have Time. And we have Persephone and Hades back together, without Demeter really knowing about it. Maybe this game will partially be about how the seasons are going weird because of this?
    The only thing I know for sure is that, when you beat Cronos, the thing that gets you back to the surface is going to be a time warp backwards... just with everyone remembering what happened due to divine power or what have you. That seems likely!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

OOH! IDEA!

Hades is locked up, so *somebody* has to run the underworld. What if it's Zagreus? And if Zagreus has to actually do a job, then he won't be able to go all protagonist-mode like in Hades 1 because the universe would collapse or something, but he'll know better than anybody what Melinoe is going through. So maybe Zag will be the new game's equivalent of Nyx, giving moral support and access to the level-up system.

Edit: Oooh, or maybe the new game's Skelly. "Here's the weapons. I have a five-minute break where we can spar before I have to get back to the desk, sis."

My inner myth nerd is SO GIDDY RIGHT NOW thinking about how they're going to handle the Chronos/Kronus difference (or non-difference).
    Last edited by Artanis; 2022-12-14 at 01:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: It's not exactly new and this is discussion about the sequel, but...
    Show
    After the epilogue, Demeter does find out that Zagreus is her grandson and Hades and Persephone are together in the underworld.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-12-14 at 02:59 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    There's Hera as well. She got an aspect for the bow, but she wasn't giving any boons. She and Hestia (who's in the same situation) are on my short list of who will be doing so in the sequel.
    Ah, I did forget about Hera, for sure. Hestia I'm not so sure is as recognizable as the rest here, but sure, she could be a candidate as well. I could see her passing out fire boons.

He'll be like Grandma where you need to beat a run first before he can help, guaranteed.
    Eh, maybe, but that's not what I was thinking. I figure they would want him to be able to communicate with Mel before she can release him, and doing that through boons makes sense.

Well, thinking of Olympians we haven't had yet, the big ones are Hera, Apollo and Hephaistos. Possibly Hestia. Hera should definitely show up, she was really missing in the last game, given it was all about the Olympians' family ties and she's goddess of marriage and family.

Edit: and also Cronos' daughter, but then, so are most Olympians.

Maybe Gaia? That's another candidate for a Nyx role. Or as a replacement for Chaos.
    I also mistakenly remembered the Daedalus Hammers as being Hephaestus', so I'd thought he was in the first one that way at least. Given he's not, yeah, he's probably on the short list.

As for Gaia, eh, maybe. I think if they're dragging any other Titans into things though that Rhea would be the prime candidate, being Chronos' wife, and therefore mother to most of the Olympians.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Boons from Hades would be interesting. Though he didn't grant boons himself,
    Spoiler: Hades 1 Spoiler
    Show
    Hades was available as a companion / replacement ult (Call) for Zagreus when certain conditions were met.
    I forgot about that. Probably because you acquire it so late that I basically never used it.

I for one do hope we get some returning cast. On top of them just plain being interesting characters in their own right, I find it difficult to imagine how they'd represent some of the elements and status effects from the first game without them.
    I would think they just wouldn't, personally. I'd rather see them go in on a completely new set of boons and effects to play with, instead of reusing the existing ones.

I want to fight Hercules dammit!
    Oh yeah, that should definitely happen.

Off the top of my head...

Drunk for Pan, Reflect for Hestia, Marked for Hera, Doom for that one Doom Incarnate guy they showed off. I'm sure others could could up with others as well.
    Given Moros is physically present and his title isn't "God of Doom," I'd assume he's not granting boons myself. More likely he's in a Thanatos/Megara kind of role, I think. Same with Nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    OOH! IDEA!

Hades is locked up, so *somebody* has to run the underworld. What if it's Zagreus? And if Zagreus has to actually do a job, then he won't be able to go all protagonist-mode like in Hades 1 because the universe would collapse or something, but he'll know better than anybody what Melinoe is going through. So maybe Zag will be the new game's equivalent of Nyx, giving moral support and access to the level-up system.

Edit: Oooh, or maybe the new game's Skelly. "Here's the weapons. I have a five-minute break where we can spar before I have to get back to the desk, sis."
    Seems likely. Could even be interesting if Zagreus were able to grant Mel boons, now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    My inner myth nerd is SO GIDDY RIGHT NOW thinking about how they're going to handle the Chronos/Kronus difference (or non-difference).
    Given the trailer already explicitly referred to him as both a Titan and "time itself," seems like they're treating it as a non-difference. He's one character that takes both roles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Spoiler: It's not exactly new and this is discussion about the sequel, but...
    Show
    After the epilogue, Demeter does find out that Zagreus is her grandson and Hades and Persephone are together in the underworld.
    Beat me to it. Though this does also give me a thought...
    Spoiler: Same spoiler as above.
    Show
    If we're going to have a recurring boon-granting god, Demeter feels like the best choice, because hopefully there's a big enough time gap that we can see her out of her "endless winter" mode. Get to see some major impact on her character from the events of the first game, and get completely different powers from her to boot.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-12-14 at 05:04 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Beat me to it. Though this does also give me a thought...
    Show
    If we're going to have a recurring boon-granting god, Demeter feels like the best choice, because hopefully there's a big enough time gap that we can see her out of her "endless winter" mode. Get to see some major impact on her character from the events of the first game, and get completely different powers from her to boot.
    Oh, that would be cool!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe now with her daughter returned, she's going back to her Harvest aspect. That would be a cool callback to the end of the first game and let Supergiant reuse at least one god without reusing their boons. I could see her being in a support role, giving you healing & life-extending powers. There are only so many recognizable Greek gods, so reusing one might be necessary

9. - Top - End - #39

I forgot about that. Probably because you acquire it so late that I basically never used it.
    I loved using it because Zagreus yells "FATHER!" and it just sounded cool.

I would think they just wouldn't, personally. I'd rather see them go in on a completely new set of boons and effects to play with, instead of reusing the existing ones.
    Well, there's a third option - all new characters for boons, but recurring characters for purely narrative purposes. I guess we'll see.

Given Moros is physically present and his title isn't "God of Doom," I'd assume he's not granting boons myself. More likely he's in a Thanatos/Megara kind of role, I think. Same with Nemesis.
    IIRC, none of the Chthonic cast are "god of X." Most were "X incarnate."

Show
    Yeah I wouldn't mind that. Another option:

Spoiler
    Show
    Persephone didn't get to grant any boons or companions last time.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there's a third option - all new characters for boons, but recurring characters for purely narrative purposes. I guess we'll see.
    Sure. But I raised the question specifically of the boon-granting deities, so that's kind of been the subject of that conversation.

IIRC, none of the Chthonic cast are "god of X." Most were "X incarnate."
    Hades and Persephone had the "God/dess" titles. Others didn't, but I wouldn't expect those others to be in the boon-granting position. Which was why I drew attention to that.

Yeah I wouldn't mind that. Another option:

Spoiler
    Show
    Persephone didn't get to grant any boons or companions last time.
    Also true, and could be quite interesting.

So, our speculative list of (basically) all-new boon deity options at this point would be:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apollo
    Hades
    Persephone
    Hera
    Hestia
    Hephaestus
    Pan
    Demeter (No longer in winter mode.)
    Zagreus

Decent size list already, and doesn't even dig into anybody that obscure (which they could absolutely do if they felt like it).
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #41

Sure. But I raised the question specifically of the boon-granting deities, so that's kind of been the subject of that conversation.
    I've been talking about both aspects from the get-go.

Hades and Persephone had the "God/dess" titles. Others didn't, but I wouldn't expect those others to be in the boon-granting position. Which was why I drew attention to that.
    Exactly - those two are Olympians, so they get Olympian titles. (They just happen to live underground.)

There's no hard rule that only Olympians can grant Boons, it just worked out that way in the first one. It might work out that way again, but we just don't know yet.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy