New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP2e] The Saga of Jorunn - Part 1 - "That Which Remains"

"im gonna head into town. I'll try to be back by nightfall" jorunn says. he'll ride the goat back to the moot, and do some discreet asking about the idol, along with asking about fijrgard

gossip roll on the idol

(1d100)[79]

gossip roll on fijrgard

(1d100)[96]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You ask around; and you really put your back into it. The Graelings are wary of you as an outsider, but it's not hard to get past that veneer when you try. Some of your best friends have been Tileans and Southlanders, after all; the differences between Norscan tribes is small by comparison. But you strike out, on both counts; asking about Fjirgard, and about the idol.

Until the same bent-back old goatherd sidles up to you again; this time more coy than before.

"A busy man, eh? Eh heh heh. A busy man looking for answers. A man can find the answers to almost any question he asks, if he has a... silver tongue."

He offers an open palm; and the cheeky grin of a man who knows just how irritating it can be, in proportion to his usefulness.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    No luck on the gossip rolls, you may have to bribe your way to victory - or try some other asymmetrical tactic.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn sighs, and slips the goatherd four sceatta. "tell me what you know of the idol, and how to get to fijrgard" he says, coolly steering the goatherd away from the people

the goatherd tells jorunn that the idol is kept in the trophy hall of the elders, but he knows a secret way in, for a price. as to fijrgard, he's more than willing to point out directions to it

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The goatherd greedily hides away the sceattas.

"For Fijrgard, you'll need to follow the river down toward the coast for two days. When you pass downstream of the frozen falls, you'll start to see fish traps set under the ice - those belong to the Fijrgardians, and you can follow them home when they come to collect of an evening; then follow the river back to the Moot as you desire. As for the Idol... I might know. I say might; I know not the item, but I know that the town elders keep many strange treasures in their trophy hall."

He turns, and points to the second most prominent longhouse, immediately adjacent to the largest in town.

"But much of it is not displayed - much is stored beneath it, stored more safely. A fool might steal and make an enemy of a tribe - but a wiser man might make friends with access to such things."

He glances back over his shoulder to another steepled longhouse - this one with a beaten copper shield and a strange threefold symbol featured thereupon hanging over the doorway.

Spoiler: The Symbol
    Show

"You deal with many strange gods, my friend. What's a few more?"
    He cackles and pats your bicep, before wandering away.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn nods. he will knock on the longhouse door, and see if he cant make some friends. when he finds the person in charge, he'll ply them with mead, to try to loosen their tongue and see what they know about the vaults. specifically, he's interested in what kind of defenses they have, be it magical or otherwise

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You approach the marked house, and find the doors open easily enough to a knock. The fellow who opens the door is young, wearing goat, leather and roughspun cloth folded for sandles and sleeves, and he welcomes you inside with a deflected gaze. There are several more like him within; and the now familiar smell of smoky incense used by many Northern temples to clear the air of the banal smells of life and fill them with a sense of earthy ethereality.

The second thing, after the scent, that strikes you about the room is its empty spaces. It has the form of a temple while lacking some of the fullness; not so many additional images or holy things or braziers. The two braziers within are barely enough to keep the place semi-warm. There are three wooden effigies in the centre, back to back, with their 'arms' of bundled branches raised, lowered, and held before them as if wielding a weapon, respectively. But a shaggy haired senior man spots your height over his underlings and makes his way across to you, regarding you with a wary eye.

"Welcome to the Threefold lodge, traveller. Are you...a believer in the Old Way?"

Show
    Time for a Charm check. They recognize you as an outsider to the Moot, and that actually gives you a +20% for reasons you don't understand yet.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will rack his brain for any mention of the old way. assuming he gets somewhere, he'll attempt to answer with the correct pass phrase

ck norsca

(1d1000)[688]

charm

(1d100)[85]

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The Old Ways. You wrack your brain. Obviously, it is some manner of worship; these effigies represent some gods, but you do not know them. A foggy memory from an old vitki of your now desolated village eludes your recollection, frustratingly out of reach. You recall only the merchant Haggur's words, before you left Krejj.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggur, the Merchant
    "The Graeling are more bound to the old ways than the other tribes. The pay worship to the Four, and their ancestors; but there is a strong vein who call to the gods of the wood and hearth."
    Gods of wood and hearth. Is that what these three are?

Most of the tribes worship all, or some of what you know as the four. They are Hound, Crow, Eagle and Serpent. Between the four, these gods cover a great swath of the urges of the human soul: its passions, its desires, its fears, its ambitions. Some, like the Skaeling, exalt one member of the four over others. They see Hound, whom they call Kharnath, as the greatest of all gods and worthy of special devotion. Your people respect the four, but aside from periodic sacrifices of appeasement, do not hungrily seek their pleasure.

Your kinsmen have other gods: Old Jormung, the great sea-serpent who swallows the dead, and one day will disgorge the souls of the honor-dead for the final battle - he is the connection to your ancestors. Straamval is appeased before great sea voyages, lest his storms wreck your vessels. Hushni, the stunted, dwarfish god is known best to craftsmen to whom he lends skill. And of course Bjarna, the she-bear, who is the guardian of the Bjorning tribe, and the centre of their cultural life: Bjarna, denmother of the Hearthfires.

Your people do not have much in the way of gods for the wood and wild. Those places are for the beastmen; they are to be avoided and travelled when required only. You speculate that the Old Ways must be some kind of devotion the Graelings keep for their own hearthfires, and also as a more rural people, a devotion they call on for safety and comfort in the wild places.

As it turns out, you're not too far from correct; and you are just barely charming enough that shaggy curator of this strange shrine finds your probing endearing, not obnoxious. You let him walk you through the place, playing the part of the unenlightened Bjornling tourist meaning no offense to local gods.

"The Old Ways is the oldest form of worship our people have known. Not Graelings - humans, I mean. We worshipped the gods in this way before we came over the mountains; before we encountered the elves; before the Southlings betrayed the Norsii and drove us into this land, where the tribes came to respect the Four. The Threefold are One power, whom we respect as having three faces - Rhya for the village and the hearth; Taal for the wilderness and woods; Ulric for winter, and war."

That clarifies much. Rhya and Taal you do not know, but Ulric is the wolf and war god that Ortel worships. You had thought this a Southern god; but if what the old priest says is true, these gods are shared by humans before the great ancient war that broke the north and south from each other.

Before the Empire's god, Sigmar.

A strange turn of fortune - but perhaps the fact that you have your freed-man, a worshipper of some aspect of this Old Way himself, may be your way into the graces of these odd priests; and with those graces, access to the Elder's trophy hall.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will nod, and listen along. when appropriate, he will make his leave, and head back out to the bone tree with his goat. "ortel, will you come into town with me tomorrow?" he asks. "i got something that will blow your mind"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ortel is inclined to oblige, even if you remain coy about your reasons. The rats to not show up again that night, leaving Byjan and Marlene, along with your now unhappy wolf with its patchy fur daubed with smelly curative paste, keeping watch at the bone tree.

But the next day, Ortel is indeed stunned when you bring him to the Threefold Lodge. And the shaggy priest is amused to have someone he can engage with philosophically. For a moment they seem to be arguing as they ramble about the nature of the gods; but with a squinting of your eyes you recognize there is no malice in it, and you stand back and let it play out.

They talk for two hours. Eventually, Ortel spends another twenty minutes kneeling before one of the three effigies, and praying with wet-eyed devotion. It must have been a long time since he has seen a religious place he recognizes.

As Ortel prays, the priest of the Old Way wanders back to you.

"Southerners... Drunk on their own notions of sophistication. Your friend is more right that he is wrong about the nature of the three, though. It is good of you to bring him here; he has been through many trial. It's important to respect all the gods and their servants - at least, the ones that have not declared war on you."

This being a perfect segue, you leverage this inroad to ask about the Idol of the Free Maiden. Now, finally, the priest is more responsive.

"...I admit, I do not know much about the goddess of Krejj. I knew of the Chained Maiden; but now you are teaching me things about the gods. The elders of the town will not give you the Idol; it's a trophy, from times long ago when previous generations of Graelings stripped the Krejj of most of their northern lands. You would have to trade something of similar value - some other trophy of conquest, and you will not gain such a thing without conquering a great deal of territory. More reasonably, you can steal it, with some clever planning. Normally I would not countenance such a thing - but I am a friend to all gods, who are friends to me. You would need a signficant distracting event - something that will draw the elders to attention elsewhere in the Moot. If you can find some way to draw the eyes of the city away from the trophy hall... I can show you a way into that building. It would be wise to be certain you are doing so while the Elders of the Moot, and their champions, are not present."

Show
    Now's the time for bold ideas. You can bounce them off and of your allies to plan, but you need some kind of significant distraction in this town to draw the attention of the elders before you can sneak in and yoink the second Idol.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will consider, and take a gander at the various distraction options available. "fire would be hard, given the temperature" he thinks, and pulls ortel aside. "any ideas for a distraction?" he asks

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You discuss with Ortel for a while, and the shaggy priest - whose name turns out to be Jurgen. When you suggest an animal distraction, noggins get a joggin'.

"Perhaps I have something..." Jurgen considers, as the discussion unfolds. There are plenty of goat flocks around the Graeling Moot; but they are guarded by goatherds who would not willingly let their herds be used in this way. And killing the goatherds - lowly folk, indeed - disagrees with both priests. Past that, there is the trouble of rounding them up and getting them into town - not an easy task for anyone who isn't a goat herd. But Jurgen vanishes into a rear room and returns with a strange relic: a flat oval of wood at the end of a woven cord about eight feet long.

"This is a beast-caller. A wielder blessed by the Threefold Path can employ it to draw creatures from the wild. The goats are creatures are too domesticated to understand it; but you might call beasts that can drive them."

Ortel is fascinated. "...Wolves, you mean. But how will we make the wolves do what we want, once they are called?"

Jurgen gives the younger priest a confused smile. "You ask them."

This, Ortel negates, is a miracle; and he is merely an initiate of Ulric, not a true priest. He has not been given miraculous gifts. And furthermore, to speak to beasts is a gift that Taal might give; Ulric less so. Jurgen, naturally, doesn't think this is an obstacle.

"The God of Wolves does not teach his followers the tongue of wolves? I think you are mistaken. I think he will make the difference, if you are his pup."

Thus, you have a plan, if you choose to take it. Ortel has the beast-caller borrowed from the Threefold shrine in his possession. Theoretically, he can use it to call a great pack of wolves from the wilds - and the shaggy priest is convinced that Ortel's only barrier to manifesting the ability to speak with wolves is confidence, given he has not formally been ordained a priest. From what you know, Ulric is a warrior god; his trials must be violent indeed. But it's not as if Ortel has seen no combat - indeed, you've seen him going in against beastmen, Graeling warriors, and even a giant with inferior weaponry in his hands. Twice you've seen him take such a wound that you needed to tell him to back off rather than sell his life to the battle. Strange that such a man should not consider himself a worthy servant of a warrior God - you know for a fact that Hound and Bjarna must be proud of your bloody wake. Wandering back toward the Bone Tree, Ortel concedes.

"Well... We can try that one, I suppose. I could... try to conjure a pack and direct them to chase the goat herds into town. You could try to breach the hall of trophies if you are hiding nearby it, and do what you need to do. Marlene might be able to help you - she is cunning. Byjan... Is not agile or quiet. But I am sure he would be where you need him to be."

You hear the the reservation in his voice - a hope you'll figure out some plan that doesn't rely on him.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn places a hand on ortels shoulder. "you are stronger than you know" he says. "when i was younger, i thought all southlanders were weak and fat, but then i met you, marlene, and liebwen" he thumps his chest twice. "all i ask is you try your hardest" he will continue to extol ortels bravery in combat against the graelings, and against the giant

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show
    No need to roll for inspiration, lol; sometimes the RP is enough. :D

Back at the Bone Tree, you find Byjan, Marlene and your patchy wolf. No skaven yet; but your party has appreciated a few days where they don't have to fight for their lives or trek through the mountains. Marlene manages to catch a wild (normal sized) goat, and you eat well together for a night, with Ortel trying to walk to the wolf the whole time; the lupine peering back with quizzical disinterest, while gnawing on a goat shin.

But later that night, after you have taken a watch and are sleeping through the dark evening, you wake to Marlene jabbing you on the ribs.

"Wake up! Wake up, they're here - bloody rats... lots of them."

You rouse to wakefulness and emerge from the warmth of your tent. Marlene wasn't joking - your warband is surrounded on the hill by perhaps thirty hunkering rodent-men, bouncing on their heels and twitching with anxiety in the gloom; beady red eyes peering out at you, spears and blades in hands and tails. A scarred and older looking rat, wearing hammered iron armor and mail and wielding a tall glaive, steps forward. He rakes his eyes over your small group.

"...Give-give, man-thing. Give-give, or die-die."

As far as negotiations go, the rat-man seems to be opening with a ... heavy ultimatum.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

"give-give what-what?" jorunn says calmly, signaling byjan to stay with the wyrdstone with a jerk of his head. he will stalk over to the leader rat, staying out of glaive reach. "i suggest you make a deal, if you dont want to go back to rat-town with your tail between your legs, if you make it at all" he will watch the rat closely

"shall we say a small gem for every fist-sized chunk of wyrdstone, and a large gem for the big ones" he says, keeping his hand on witherbrand

intimidation

(1d100)[86]

19 in the ooc
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-05-27 at 09:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The lead rat takes a backstep, at your threat. He has enough troops here to kill you and your warband... but these creatures are not like Norscans. You see immediately that they have no notion of dying in combat as desirous at all. The flicker of his eyes tells you nothing matters more to these creatures that survival - not dignity, not comfort, not wealth, not revenge, not happiness, not success. Above all things they crave to survive - and even if your party is killed to a man, this leader rat cannot guarantee he will not be killed in the process.

He regards your offer with what seems to you like disbeleif.

"...What trick-trick, manthing? What is your game-play?"

Ortel catches it just as you do, and hisses to you in Reikspiel, trusting this rat doesn't speak that too.

"He thinks we're trying to trick them... because the offer is too low. These disgusting creatures must prize the daemon-stones much more highly indeed."

What follows is negotiation. You show the rats a sample, and they seem pleased with the quality; but by the end you have had more time to observe how much they crave it, and radically adjusted your demands. It seems they prize the warpstone much more than any man prizes gems; and at the end of the accord, you have a truly obscene wealth of gems the rats have dredged up from their slave mines. So many that you can't imagine being able to fox them off in one place. Atleast ten or twelve thousand sceattas of gems maybe, or a multiple of that if you can find someone reliable and skilled to cut them and someone to ship and sell them to the southern kingdoms; the same for Byjan, who took a bundle comparable to yours; a tenth of that from Marlene's lone shard. Nothing for Ortel, who refused to carry any. You watch how carefully the rats take the bundles -you feel vindicated it not touching the stuff yourself.

"Good business, man-bear. Smart to sell. Hard bargain... You find more, you come back? More shiny-shiny..."

The rats withdraw, leaving you with dense leather sacks of uncut precious stones.

"...Not likely," Byjan mumbles; "If they see us here again, they'll shoot us from range and loot us for whatever we have. See their eyes? Soulless..."

Marlene looks over the gem bags, astonished even at her own much smaller haul.

"...Well, this turned out incredibly. I'd suggest we go back to get more if the beastmen haven't certainly stripped it by now. We need to find a gemcutter who you can trust, with a lot of time.. and I guess, a fair bit of security. That'll get the most out of this. It's the difference between being able to buy one warship, or three."

With that, you're able to sleep with your new, non-mutagenic treasures. If only that was the only event that night.

Only an hour into the rest of your sleep, you are groggily awoken by Byjan on the last watch.

"Jorunn, get up - we've got trouble..."

Show
    What's the trouble that Jorunn steps out of his tent to find? :D

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn shakes himself awake, and stalks out of his tent. he sees four graelings moving towards him and his warbands position, seasoned warriors by the looks of them. the leader a tall man with an eye patch calls. "i'd recognize my twin brothers armor anywhere" he draws steel, and growls "tell me how he died, and i might go easy on you"

jorunn laughs, and draws witherbrand. "your brothers skull hangs on my belt, as will yours very shortly" he gloats, and prepares to shift

initiative roll

(1d10+4)[8]

first action is to shift, and then make attacks
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-05-28 at 12:12 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Your warband is ready for action seeing the heavily armed and armored warriors ascending the hill of the Bonetree. They spring into action when you signal the time is now.

Byjan is first off the block. Knowing you need a moment to complete your shift, he roars and charges the foremost Graeling, who froths and hoists his great axe in salute to his dark gods...

Show
    Byjan's Charge: vs56 - (1d100)[84] for (1d10+4)[8]
    Marlene's Shot: vs47 - (1d100)[10] for (1d10+3)[13]
    Ortel's Charge: vs48 - (1d100)[82] for (1d10+3)[6] or (1d10+3)[10]

All the Graelings Frenzy, and Jorunn Shifts.
    Wolf's Waits by Jorunn's side, snarling. Full defense.

Round 2 Begins!

Byjan's Blows: vs56 - (1d100)[52] for (1d10+4)[8] and vs56 - (1d100)[8] for (1d10+4)[13].
    Marlene's Shot: vs47 - (1d100)[2] for (1d10+3)[12]
    Ortel's Blow: vs38 - (1d100)[51] for (1d10+3)[9] or (1d10+3)[5]

Greataxe on Byjan: vs34 - (1d100)[16] for (1d10+6)[14] or (1d10+6)[7]
    and vs34 - (1d100)[45] for (1d10+6)[13] or (1d10+6)[15]

Byjan releases a harrowing assault on Greataxe wielding Graeling, alongside his one-eyed captain; the taller warrior snarling in his face and turning the blows as his eyes grow bloodshot and mad. The big Bjornling manages to land a blow that scores a bloody line through the Graeling's mail, but his opponent seems undetered; and he catches a heavy blow on his shield that almost splits the wood of it in half.

Ortel begins combat with his usual misfortunate enthusiasm, leading with his axe but unable to land a blow on his sword-and-dagger wielding enemy. Marlene does much better - her first arrow thonks into the skull of the dual axe wielding Graeling, shockingly failing to kill him; the next bites into his bicep and forces him to drop one of his axes as blood gushes down from the wound; his frenzy injuring him to pain but not injury. Your wolf hops anxiously by your side, waiting for you to select a target so he may join you alongside. And the target is obvious - the brother of the Graeling you already slew; bigger even than his brother and more fierce of aspect, now red-eyed with rage and barking madly for your best assault.

Show
    So far, Duel-Wield Axe Graeling has taken a crit; and Greataxe Graeling has taken 6 wounds.
    The Sword-and-Dagger Graeling dueling Ortel is unharmed, as is the leader, Dorluf, who awaits your charge attack!

It's your turn!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-29 at 07:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will charge dorluf sword flashing. he hits, but doesnt do a lotta damage

(1d100)[26]

(1d10+6)[8]
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-05-29 at 11:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Witherbrand slashes through chain and leather, even flesh; its cursed powers grope for magical talent to mute, but find none. More than that, the blow seems to mean little to Dorluf, who is frothing mad now; hefts his own great axe high, and returns your blows with his own!

Show
    Will edit post with the outcomes of the rolls!

Wolf's Charge: vs46 - (1d100)[89] for (1d10+4)[8]
    Double Axe chance to die:vs80 - (1d100)[42]
    Double Axe Attack:vs44 - (1d100)[50] for (1d10+6)[16]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[73] for (1d10+6)[7] or (1d10+6)[15]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[52] for (1d10+6)[8] or (1d10+6)[7]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[96] for (1d10+6)[13] or (1d10+6)[9]
    Sword/Dagger Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[50] for (1d10+6)[12]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[99] for (1d10+6)[7]
    Round 3!
    Byjan Attack1: vs46 - (1d100)[12] for (1d10+4)[12]
    Byjan Attack2: vs46 - (1d100)[92] for (1d10+4)[11]
    Malene's Shot (Or Else Draw): vs47 - (1d100)[98] for (1d10+3)[7]
    Ortel's blow: vs38 - (1d100)[77] for (1d10+3)[9] or (1d10+3)[7]
    GreatAxe Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[62] for (1d10+6)[8] or (1d10+6)[12]
    GreatAxe Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[99] for (1d10+6)[7] or (1d10+6)[16]

Your wolf charges in beside you, but cannot close his jaws on the enemy; but his presense as an ally increases your opportunities. Ortel duels judiciously with the sword and dagger wielding Graeling, neither making headway; the warrior who dropped his second axe charges with his remaining one at Marlene, who is forced to drop her bow and draw axe and dagger to shield to defend herself, while she waits for him to bleed out. The great axe warrior fails to land a blow on Byjan; but the return strike your old friend lands on his opposite number barely draws blood. The lunatic avengers and your warband are at a hard stalemate, waiting to see which way it breaks. You have harnessed the berseker rage before, and you do so now - but never have you fought enemies who themselves 'put on the bear' in battle. They are relentless, fearless, and strong. Dorluf's heavy greataxe sings through the air near you three times, making no contact but carrying with each blow the promise of true injury. The stalemate continues... for now. But your instincts tell you when it breaks one way or the other, it's going to break hard.

Show
    GreatAxeGraeling is up to 9 wounds. DualAxe has not bled out from his mangled arm. Both the others are still swinging! You're free to swift attack, with a +10 for your Wolf adding threat to the combat.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-30 at 08:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will make three attacks on dorluf

(3d100)[40][100][70](210)

(1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[13]

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: ROLLS!
    Show
    (Pending Outcomes for narration!)

Wolf's All-Out: vs66 - (1d100)[29] for (1d10+4)[13]
    Double Axe chance to die:vs80 - (1d100)[41]
    Double Axe Attacks1:vs34 - (1d100)[86] for (1d10+6)[13]
    Double Axe Attacks2:vs34 - (1d100)[48] for (1d10+6)[8]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[27] for (1d10+6)[12] or (1d10+6)[12]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[20] for (1d10+6)[7] or (1d10+6)[12]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[74] for (1d10+6)[12] or (1d10+6)[15]
    Sword/Dagger Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[25] for (1d10+6)[8]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[92] for (1d10+6)[16]
    Round 4!
    Byjan Attack1: vs46 - (1d100)[72] for (1d10+4)[7]
    Byjan Attack2: vs46 - (1d100)[8] for (1d10+4)[5]
    Malene's Melee: vs37 - (1d100)[66] for (1d10+3)[11]
    Ortel's blow: vs38 - (1d100)[59] for (1d10+3)[6] or (1d10+3)[8]
    GreatAxe Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[39] for (1d10+6)[16] or (1d10+6)[14]
    GreatAxe Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[29] for (1d10+6)[10] or (1d10+6)[12]

Ortel's opponent slips a small dagger cut past his guard, opening a wound on his cheek that bleeds freely; savoring the first blood in their exchange with wild eyes. Marlene avoids the axeman's furious reprisal as he begins to slow down from the loss of blood; but cannot find space to hasten his end. And Byjan and his opponent trade wounds - Byjan adding a small cut to his earlier inflicted injuries, but in turn finally taking a slamming blow on his axe that rocks him back off his feet, winds him, and forces him onto the defensive, crawling back up to guard just in time.

Meanwhile, your own blows on Dorluf find no purchase; they glance off his armor and oak-hard muscle beneath, or he drives them aside with his great axe; but he has finally found his battle cadence, chopping at you even as your wolf manages to leap up his back and latch to his shoulder, twisting, biting, drawing blood.. but not attention.

Spoiler: OOC: Outcomes.
    Show
    Byjan takes 5 wounds and delivers 1 to GreataxeGraeling this turn.

Marlene and DoubleAxe Stalemate, but he's still bleeding.

Ortel and Sword/Dagger don't do much, but Ortel takes 1 wound.

Wolf lands mighty chomp on Dorluf which causes him to take a mere 4 wounds; but Dorluf lands two blows on Jorunn which require defense!

Give me that dodge and Parry, both against 12 damage hits! Then it's your go.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-30 at 10:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    parry was a 58 in the ooc

dodge blow:

(1d100)[75]

(3d100)[44][93][15](152)

(1d10+6)[8]
    (1d10+6)[12]
    (1d10+6)[10]

jorunn snarls as he does three attacks, one barely getting by dorlufs guard, and another missing, and yet another bouncing off dorlufs muscles,

he loses another green sprig to dorlufs axe blade
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-05-30 at 10:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    Pending Outcomes for post:

Wolf's Attack: vs46 - (1d100)[96] for (1d10+4)[9]
    Double Axe chance to die:vs80 - (1d100)[56]
    Double Axe Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[90] for (1d10+6)[9]
    Double Axe Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[92] for (1d10+6)[9]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[58] for (1d10+6)[13] or (1d10+6)[15]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[97] for (1d10+6)[9] or (1d10+6)[16]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[87] for (1d10+6)[7] or (1d10+6)[14]
    Sword/Dagger Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[93] for (1d10+6)[11]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[98] for (1d10+6)[8]
    Round 5!
    Byjan Attack1: vs46 - (1d100)[67] for (1d10+4)[7]
    Byjan Attack2: vs46 - (1d100)[38] for (1d10+4)[6]
    Malene's Melee: vs47 - (1d100)[26] for (1d10+3)[9]
    Ortel's blow: vs38 - (1d100)[97] for (1d10+3)[9] or (1d10+3)[9]
    GreatAxe Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[54] for (1d10+6)[16] or (1d10+6)[12]
    GreatAxe Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[2] for (1d10+6)[11] or (1d10+6)[10]

Your ursine ears twitch at a scream from one side of the combat, and you fear the worst for Marlene; but it turns out to be a scream of triumphant exertion, rather than defeat. The bleeding axeman bearing her back in a clinch and almost overwhelming her with berserker strength, but with great savage effort, with her arms pinned, she bites onto shaft of the arrow embedded in his eye and drives it further into his head with a wrenching of her neck. It clips something vital in his brain, and his spasms and releases, choking and gasping; and she snatches up her axe to hack brutally into his neck - the first kill goes to your Warband.

Elsewhere it is hard to land blows. You clip Dorluf again for a small wound; but your comrades are hard pressed. As Dorluf's huge blade scythes by your skillful steps, Byjan takes an unanswered blow that cuts deep into his calf muscle; he only retains his leg because he was mid step away, and stumbles back with a frustrated growl!

Show
    Byjan takes another hit, and he's up to 9 taken wounds; opposed to his opponent's 1.

Marlene finally kills Doubleaxe; perhaps freeing her to assist Byjan or Jorunn next.

Ortel and Sword/Dagger stalemate!

Wolf misses Dorluf; Dorluf misses Jorunn, but takes 1 more wound from Jorunn for a running total of 5.

Jorunn's turn!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-31 at 12:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will make three attacks, and do a silent prayer to bjarna for byjans health "marlene, help byjan" he calls

(3d100)[97][96][75](268)

(1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[15]
    (1d10+6)[8]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

You finally land a good blow - the blade of your axe outpaces the Graeling's dodge, biting through skin and raking bone along his unarmored jaw. Blood runs freely, but he bellows a bellicose laugh and retaliates...

Spoiler: OOC: Attacks!
    Show
    You hit for 9 net wounds! Woo!

Wolf's Attack: vs36 - (1d100)[43] for (1d10+4)[9]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[88] for (1d10+6)[12] or (1d10+6)[7]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[73] for (1d10+6)[8] or (1d10+6)[13]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[81] for (1d10+6)[9] or (1d10+6)[12]
    Sword/Dagger Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[1] for (1d10+6)[8]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[90] for (1d10+6)[10]
    Round 7!
    Byjan Attack1: vs46 - (1d100)[11] for (1d10+4)[14]
    Byjan Attack2: vs46 - (1d100)[43] for (1d10+4)[5]
    Malene's Melee: vs47 - (1d100)[29] for (1d10+3)[11]
    Ortel's blow: vs38 - (1d100)[100] for (1d10+3)[4] or (1d10+3)[10]
    GreatAxe Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[93] for (1d10+6)[15] or (1d10+6)[13]
    GreatAxe Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[91] for (1d10+6)[13] or (1d10+6)[16]

Malene
    Wolf
    Byjan (5 Wounds)
    Ortel (1 Wound)
    Jorunn (4 Wounds)
    Avenger Dorluf (14 Wounds)
    Greataxe (Dead)
    Double Axe (Dead)
    Sword and Dagger (4 Wounds)

You're good to go again!

The tide of the battle breaks - and it breaks in your favour. Dorluf is still unable to land a blow on you - his swings are mighty and he is tough as stone, but you are wearing him down and his rage has made him inaccurate. Your wolf is free to dart about biting his legs, arresting one step or the other and compromising his swings further so you can avoid them entirely, which you do. Marlene, fresh from her kill, heeds your call and crosses toward Byjan - but the big man manages not to need the help, howling out as he breaks through the guard of his great-axe wielding opponent with a catastrophic blow that chops through the bicep and a hand's breadth into the lung and heart beneath, killing him instantly.

Across on the other side of your duel, Ortel finds himself outmatched. He cannot land a blow with his greataxe; and what's more, the graeling with sword and dagger manages to hook his blade beneath the curl of the axe, kick up with his boot, and disarm the priest of Ulric entirely, leaving him disarmed and unable to stop the slice of the dagger that cuts a bloody line across his jaw and nearly splits his ear in half. It looks grim for him once more - but then Marlene bursts in from the flank and deals a slash of her own on the Graeling which almost mirrors the one he dealt, in its placement!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-06-01 at 08:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn grins. "seems like the tables have turned!" he bellows, and makes three attacks

(3d100)[84][92][2](178)

(1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[15]
    (1d10+6)[16]

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

A blow that should have sheared Dorluf's arm off sparks from the pauldron as he heaves his bulk just barely around your murderous strike. His response to your quip is blunt, and telling:

"RRaaaaGGGHH!"

His rage, it seems, is a little more insensible than your own.

Show
    Rolls! Outcomes pending results...

Wolf's Attack: vs46 - (1d100)[23] for (1d10+4)[6]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[99] for (1d10+6)[9] or (1d10+6)[8]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[70] for (1d10+6)[16] or (1d10+6)[11]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[70] for (1d10+6)[16] or (1d10+6)[16]
    Sword/Dagger Attack1:vs34 - (1d100)[9] for (1d10+6)[13]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[77] for (1d10+6)[15]
    Round 8!
    Byjan Charge1: vs56 - (1d100)[74] for (1d10+4)[5]
    Malene's Charge1: vs67 - (1d100)[67] for (1d10+3)[9]
    Ortel's blow: vs38 - (1d100)[12] for (1d10+3)[10] or (1d10+3)[10]

Edit: JEEZ LOUISE Dorluf you would have avenged your brother three times over with damage like that if you could only bloody HIT.

Malene
    Wolf
    Byjan (5 Wounds)
    Ortel (8 Wound)
    Jorunn (4 Wounds)
    Avenger Dorluf (14 Wounds)
    Greataxe (Dead)
    Double Axe (Dead)
    Sword and Dagger (9 Wounds)

Your turn!

He keeps on coming; but his blows remain as inaccurate as they are heavy. One blow smashes into the bone tree, splitting an old beastman skull into fragments before he whirls around and nearly kills you with a downward chop you neatly sidestep, losing the leather tip of the sole of your boot to the blade.

Byjan and Marlene know your tactics, now - clean up the outside, regroup on you at the end. They are both assisting Ortel now; Byjan's charge forcing the last supporting Graeling to back up a step where Marlene can make a neat cut to his flank and Ortel misses a forehand slash, but cracks the butt of the axe's handle into the graeling's sternum anyway. The battered warrior is not without retort - he stabs his dagger into Ortel's thigh, causing the wolf priest to howl in pain such that your wolf companion looses a sympathetic howl of his own.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-06-03 at 02:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

jorunn will attempt to finish off dorluf

(3d100)[68][2][65](135)

(1d10+6)[14]
    (1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[10]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Finally, a good blow smashes through his defence - Witherbrand bites into Dorluf's thigh and the blood starts to run swiftly and freely into the muddy snow at the foot of the bone tree. It's a mortal blow - without a skilled healer atleast, and you doubt Dorluf or his remaining friend is one such. But the man before you doesn't seem in a state of mind to honor his approaching fate - and on he comes, dying as he may be!

Spoiler: Attacks!
    Show
    Wolf's Attack: vs46 - (1d100)[67] for (1d10+4)[9]
    DorlufChanceToDie:vs80 - (1d100)[45]
    Dorluf Attacks1: vs31 - (1d100)[11] for (1d10+6)[14] or (1d10+6)[9]
    Dorluf Attacks2: vs31 - (1d100)[95] for (1d10+6)[8] or (1d10+6)[7]
    Dorluf Attacks3: vs31 - (1d100)[2] for (1d10+6)[12] or (1d10+6)[14]
    Sword/Dagger AttackOrManeuver1:vs34 - (1d100)[44] for (1d10+6)[7]
    Sword/Dagger Attack2:vs34 - (1d100)[81] for (1d10+6)[16]
    Round 9!
    Byjan Attack1: vs56 - (1d100)[23] for (1d10+4)[10]
    Byjan Attack2: vs56 - (1d100)[26] for (1d10+4)[10]
    Malene's Melee: vs57 - (1d100)[96] for (1d10+3)[11]
    Ortel's blow: vs58 - (1d100)[49] for (1d10+3)[11] or (1d10+3)[12]

To your left, Marlene, Jorunn and Byjan pile in on the last Graeling offsider; Marlene distracts, Byjan carves into his arm, and with no ability to guard himself, his head flies from his shoulders when Ortel finally lands a powerful connecting strike. But you can't focus on such things now - Dorluf comes at you like an animal, dragging your wolf behind him with its jaws latched to his bloody thigh; dealing out collossal, man-splitting blows with the last pints of his blood racing out of his wounds.

Spoiler: OOC: Oof!
    Show
    He's got a 20% chance to die each turn - but this turn he landed two big hits for 14 points each to the right arm - you'll want to defend against both, before going again! He has a final damage reduction of 9, so any hits that deal 10 or more provoke critical rolls.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-06-05 at 05:39 AM.