New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Looking to commission artwork for my game.

I am at the point where I need to start doing a lot of artwork commissions for my game over the next year. Anyone here looking for / know someone who is looking to take on work? Or know of a good place where I can ask around?

It's mostly monsters, but a few action scenes, landscapes, and pieces of equipment. Looking for a dreary black and white late 80s style. This folder has examples of the type of thing I am looking for:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...v6UMYCMoJ1paoI
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking to commission artwork for my game.

The DM's Guild has artists who sell their art on the platform. Many are probably willing to take commissions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

So kind of an OSR feel?
    I have hired artists off of fiverr and Reddit with pretty good success. on fiverr you really need to troll through them to find ones that have actually dont work on the platform.
    Is the plan to use this for commercial purposes or just personal? because that is very important in the discussion.

4. - Top - End - #4

Thanks for the info! I will look into it!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, this board is so dead I didn't even notice the replies.

It's weird, when I first mentioned the project almost a decade ago people were coming out of the woodwork offering to do commissions for me, and I had to let them down as I didn't have either the money or the plan where I needed them yet, and now its crickets and the whole board is dead. I guess everyone moved on to Discord?

Quote Originally Posted by athelu View Post
    So kind of an OSR feel?
    I have hired artists off of fiverr and Reddit with pretty good success. on fiverr you really need to troll through them to find ones that have actually dont work on the platform.
    Is the plan to use this for commercial purposes or just personal? because that is very important in the discussion.
    Depends on how you define OSR.

Generally OSR is more focused on 70s stuff, while my game is more of a refined late 80s throwback.

I certainly hope to sell it commercially when it is finished.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

If you go to fiverr, make sure that their deal includes "commercial rights"
    Sometimes it will not be included in the summary but if you click the continue button you can add it.
    If they dont list it at all you can contact them to find out.

I could provide you some recommendations, but i cannot post links or send messages since i am a newb here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will look into it!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, this board is so dead I didn't even notice the replies.

It's weird, when I first mentioned the project almost a decade ago people were coming out of the woodwork offering to do commissions for me, and I had to let them down as I didn't have either the money or the plan where I needed them yet, and now its crickets and the whole board is dead. I guess everyone moved on to Discord?
    Online forums like this have become way less popular. So, yeah, probably Discord.

7. - Top - End - #7

This search has been a nightmare so far.

Every artist I have contacted (or who has contacted me!) either has such a high opinion of themselves or so a low opinion of my project that they either ghost me entirely or refuse to work for me for any amount of money.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    This search has been a nightmare so far.

Every artist I have contacted (or who has contacted me!) either has such a high opinion of themselves or so a low opinion of my project that they either ghost me entirely or refuse to work for me for any amount of money.
    Sorry that your search has been going so poorly. Hoping things get better soon.

My DM likes Dean Spencer. Does both commissions and also sells stock art, and seems to have lots of black-and-white art. You may also want to ask Monarch Fisher, though I don't think he specializes in black-and-white. (Disclosure: M.F. is a fellow player's partner.)

EDIT: Direct link to D.S.'s black-and-white art. (Anti-disclosure: I don't know D.S. and don't benefit from promoting this art. For that reason, I also can't vouch for the artist or anything.)
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-01-28 at 08:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm not sure if my work is good enough to be commissioned or if it's something you're looking for. I love the black and white aesthetic. Trying real hard to build up pieces and work my way up; so pricing is on the "affordable" side.

Feel free to check out my works below:

EDIT: having reviewed the forum rules, I think that some of my work crosses inappropriate forum topics (there's implied nudity and blood), so I've sent the OP a DM instead. I'm pretty new here and I don't want to cause any trouble, I know that the mods run a very tight ship here.
    Last edited by Dasick; 2023-02-01 at 10:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dasick View Post
    I'm not sure if my work is good enough to be commissioned or if it's something you're looking for. I love the black and white aesthetic. Trying real hard to build up pieces and work my way up; so pricing is on the "affordable" side.

Feel free to check out my works below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...OXDgXh_6QAn1QI
    Very cool! I like the smoking skeleton.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Very cool! I like the smoking skeleton.
    Thanks! That was actually a recent commission

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dasick View Post
    Thanks! That was actually a recent commission
    Oh, neat!