New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

amused I wish Baldur's Gate 3 had more Spells

I would pay like $30 for an expansion to Baldur's Gate 3 that would drastically expand the list of available spells for wizards, sorcerers, bards, etc.
    I'm okay with Spells in that game only going up to 6th-level, since Level 12 is max and that's alright.
    I'm not expecting a Wish spell or anything here, and I understand some spells don't translate well from tabletop to video game form, but why can't Larian come up with more of their own homebrew spells for the game? They've already taken some liberties with the 5e system, so why not?
    I remember in the earlier versions of Early Access, my wizard Gale could learn any spell so long as he had the scroll for it, including cure light wounds
    I can understand how that might break things, but it was a lot of fun having a wizard running around casting cleric spells

Does anyone else agree with me here? You already get a fair amount of spell choices in the game, but why can't we have more, yeah? I suppose balance might be an issue though.
    I was thinking maybe a Level 1 teleport spell that has shorter range than misty step, and costs an Action, but might really help gain that terrain advantage, call it, idk, Rift Hop, or something.
    Another potentially hilarious spell would be a Swap Location spell, even more hilarious if it could be cast as a Reaction.
    Larian already had an impressive amount of spells in their Divinity Original Sin games. Perhaps bring in some of those?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I wish Baldur's Gate 3 had more Spells

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

To narrow down LibraryOgre's list - I recommend the 5e Spells mod. which adds over 50 spells to the game and even allows you to choose between 5e durations (e.g. 10 min/hour) or Larian durations (e.g. "until Long Rest" for everything longer than a minute.) It looks to have been recently updated for the latest patch too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFighter View Post
    I would pay like $30 for an expansion to Baldur's Gate 3 that would drastically expand the list of available spells for wizards, sorcerers, bards, etc.
    I'm okay with Spells in that game only going up to 6th-level, since Level 12 is max and that's alright.
    I'm not expecting a Wish spell or anything here, and I understand some spells don't translate well from tabletop to video game form, but why can't Larian come up with more of their own homebrew spells for the game? They've already taken some liberties with the 5e system, so why not?
    I remember in the earlier versions of Early Access, my wizard Gale could learn any spell so long as he had the scroll for it, including cure light wounds
    I can understand how that might break things, but it was a lot of fun having a wizard running around casting cleric spells

Does anyone else agree with me here? You already get a fair amount of spell choices in the game, but why can't we have more, yeah? I suppose balance might be an issue though.
    I was thinking maybe a Level 1 teleport spell that has shorter range than misty step, and costs an Action, but might really help gain that terrain advantage, call it, idk, Rift Hop, or something.
    Another potentially hilarious spell would be a Swap Location spell, even more hilarious if it could be cast as a Reaction.
    Larian already had an impressive amount of spells in their Divinity Original Sin games. Perhaps bring in some of those?
    I don't disagree necessarily, but the game is already a massive undertaking that is pretty high quality. At some point you gotta go 'this is good enough. I'm happy with what I've got rather than constantly wishing for it to be even better.'
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Or, you know, donate that $30 to your favorite modders instead. They deserve it!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)