New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 5e Adventures in Midgard 5e IC

"Danger is a fact of life. One should work to mitigate the risks where one can... But given that it's dangerous for people such as myself, a trained soldier..." Sharra says, looking into the storm. "What do you think it's going to be like for an innocent young woman, unused to the rigors of the world?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I vote we go now. Be the heroes!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll lead the horse when not in battle if we can't get you all steeds," Val suggests.
    "But we need to save her!"

Show
    Go now! Heroism!
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Miller Elienas knew that the odds of finding his daughter were slim, but he also knew that he couldn't just sit idly by and do nothing. He made the difficult decision to join the adventurers on their journey into the White Forest, no matter the risks. The miller couldn't help but feel a sense of helplessness wash over him. He had always been a strong and capable man, able to face any challenge that came his way. But this was different. This was his daughter, the one person he loved more than anyone else in the world. As the minutes ticked by, the miller's thoughts turned to all the things he wished he could have done differently. He should have insisted that she stay at home. But it was too late for regrets now. All he could do was sit and wait, hoping and praying that she would be found safe and sound. As the rain pounded against the windowpanes, the miller closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to find a glimmer of hope in the darkness. He knew that the journey ahead would be difficult, but he was determined to do whatever it took to bring his daughter home. The miller's heart was heavy with worry, but he held on to the hope that they would find his daughter and bring her home safely. He knew that the dangers of the White Forest were great, but he was determined to do whatever it took to save the one he loved most.

As the rainstorm raged outside, the patrons of the tavern huddled around the fireplace, trying to stay warm and dry. The sound of the rain was deafening, the wind howling as it whipped through the streets, sending debris flying through the air. Inside the tavern, the atmosphere was tense as the patrons watched the storm through the windows, their faces etched with concern. The rain was coming down in sheets, the sky so dark that it was almost as if night had fallen in the middle of the day. Despite the chaos outside, the Eagle Tavern was a haven of warmth and light, the fire crackling and the smell of freshly brewed ale filling the air. The patrons sat in silence, their thoughts lost in the howling wind and the driving rain. As the storm raged on, the patrons watched in awe as lightning lit up the sky, the flash of light briefly illuminating the darkness. It was a sight to behold, both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Inside the Eagle Tavern, the windows shook as the storm raged on, the thunder crashing and the lightning illuminating the darkness. It was a sight to behold, both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. As the storm raged on, the sounds of the rain and the thunder were deafening, the wind howling as it battered against the walls.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2022-12-26 at 12:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Naru'nrr lets out a sigh, finding himself agreeing with the points laid out by Val and Sharra. "I have heard it said that haste makes waste, but I can't help but think that not going now will create a different kind of waste..."

The Drow shrugs his shoulders. "If nothing else, there may still be some kind of trail that we can follow to find her. If there is then it would certainly make our job easier."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

“We do not know the terrain, we do not know the land. The footing will be treacherous, there will be real danger in braving the forest and the mountains in this weather. But this is true for the goblins too. They are not disciplined. They will be together from the rain. I do not mean to distress you Miller, but Goblins trapped in the rain with nothing else to do … they may turn to your daughter, and our timeline may be shorter than if the weather were better. This is the woe.”

Norm pauses. Considering.

“They will not see or smell or hear us coming until we are on them in this weather. This is the weal. We only need three things. A local guide for the terrain and path, someone to hold the horses once the forest grows thick or the muddy mountain steep, and we must leave them; and, finally your daughters and your Clan name, so we can tell her we come from her trusted father, and will keep her safe.”

Norm pulls out the rough maps that he has wrought in his journey as a Far Traveler. The map for the White Mountains and Oakhaven is as yet very sparse, but he turns to the local men to get them to fill out what they can, in the time that remains.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-25 at 11:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Blorcyn View Post
    “We do not know the terrain, we do not know the land. The footing will be treacherous, there will be real danger in braving the forest and the mountains in this weather. But this is true for the goblins too. They are not disciplined. They will be together from the rain. I do not mean to distress you Miller, but Goblins trapped in the rain with nothing else to do … they may turn to your daughter, and our timeline may be shorter than if the weather were better. This is the woe.”

Norm pauses. Considering.

“They will not see or smell or hear us coming until we are on them in this weather. This is the weal. We only need three things. A local guide for the terrain and path, someone to hold the horses once the forest grows thick or the muddy mountain steep, and we must leave them; and, finally your daughters and your Clan name, so we can tell her we come from her trusted father, and will keep her safe.”

Norm pulls out the rough maps that he has wrought in his journey as a Far Traveler. The map for the White Mountains and Oakhaven is as yet very sparse, but he turns to the local men to get them to fill out what they can, in the time that remains.
    Norm scanned the crowded common room of the Eagle Tavern, his eyes moving from face to face as he searched for a skilled tracker who prowled the White Forest, searching for lost travelers and hunting down dangerous beasts. The Eagle Tavern was crowded and noisy, with people laughing and talking as they ate and drank. Smoke from the fireplace hung in the air, adding to the dim, cozy atmosphere. As he walked through the room, Norm's eyes landed on a hooded figure sitting alone in front of the fireplace. The flickering flames cast a warm glow over his features, highlighting the sharp angles of the scout's face and the tense set of his shoulders. The scout is dressed in practical, durable clothing, designed to withstand the rigors of the road. A cloak of dark, weather-beaten fabric hangs from the scout's shoulders, its hood drawn up to obscure his face. A quiver of arrows and a shortbow rest against the wall beside them, within easy reach. The shortbow was a sleek and deadly weapon, crafted with precision and skill. It was made of a single piece of wood, carefully curved and shaped to provide maximum power and accuracy. The bowstring was made of a thin but sturdy cord, stretched taut across the bow and held in place by a series of nocks and notches. The scout who owned the shortbow was a skilled archer, able to hit targets at long distances with deadly accuracy. The scout had spent years practicing and honing his skills, and his shortbow was a testament to his dedication and proficiency. The scout took great care of his shortbow, cleaning and maintaining it regularly to ensure that it remained in top condition. The scout kept it well-oiled and protected from the elements, knowing that it was a valuable and essential tool in his line of work. The shortbow was a versatile weapon, able to be used in a variety of situations. The scout could use it to hunt game, to defend against predators, or to attack enemies in combat. It was a reliable and effective tool, and the scout was never without it. The scout seems lost in thought, staring into the fire as if searching for some answer among the dancing flames. The hooded figure sit perfectly still, as if afraid to disturb the peace of the moment. Despite his solitude, the scout exudes a sense of alertness, as if he is always ready for danger. The scout's hand rests lightly on the hilt of his sword, a reminder of the dangers he have faced on his many journeys. As the fire crackles and the tavern fills with the sounds of laughter and conversation, the hooded scout seems a world away, lost in his own thoughts and secrets. Norm knew immediately that this was the person he had come to find.

The hooded scout leaned back in his chair, the firelight casting a warm glow over his features. "The White Forest is not a place to be taken lightly," the scout said, his voice low and serious. "It's a place of beauty, yes, but it's also a place of danger. The winds can be fierce, and the snow can be deep. It's easy to get lost, and the cold can be deadly." "But the biggest danger in the White Forest is the wildlife," the scout continued. "Bears and wolves roam the forest, and they're not afraid to attack if they feel threatened. And then there are the ice drakes." "Ice drakes are the most dangerous creatures in the White Forest," the scout said. The hooded scout sat at the table, his eyes fixed on the map in front of them. "We need to be careful when we enter the White Forest," the scout said. "There are many dangers that we need to watch out for. But perhaps the most dangerous of all are the ice drakes." "They're rare, but they're out there. And if you see one, you need to run. They're fast and they breathe ice." "Ice drakes are massive creatures, with wings that span several yards and scales that shimmer like diamonds in the sunlight," the scout continued. "They're hard to spot, because they blend in with the snow and ice. But when you do see one, it's a sight to behold. They're beautiful and terrifying all at once." "I've been through the White Forest many times, and I've learned to spot the signs of ice drake activity," the scout continued. "They leave a distinctive mark on the landscape, and if we see these marks, we know to stay away." The scout reached for a red pen and began to mark the map. "Here, see this area?" they said, pointing to a section of the map. "This is where I spotted an ice drake nest. And here, this is where I saw a pack of ice drakes hunting. We need to avoid these areas if we can." "But don't worry," the scout said, sensing Norm's fear. "I've seen ice drakes before, and I know how to avoid them. As long as you follow my lead and do as I say, you'll be safe. Just remember: if you see an ice drake, run. And don't look back."

"I have encountered all manner of dangers in the White Forest - bears, wolves, and even a pack of ice drakes. But none of them were as dangerous as the pale lightning goblins. Deep in the heart of the White Forest, hidden among the icy peaks and winding trails, lies a tribe of mysterious and reclusive creatures. They are known as the pale lightning goblins, and they are feared and revered throughout the land. Small and wiry, with pale skin and bright, glowing eyes, the pale lightning goblins are skilled scavengers and hunters. They are able to find food and shelter in even the harshest environments, and they are skilled at crafting and trading. The pale lightning goblin tribe was a mysterious and reclusive group, rarely seen by outsiders. They lived deep in the heart of the mountains, in hidden caves and tunnels that were nearly impossible to find. They were known for their quick and agile movements, and for their fierce loyalty to their tribe. They were also skilled at crafting and trading, able to barter for valuable goods and resources with other tribes. But the pale lightning goblins were best known for their abilities with lightning magic. They were able to harness the power of the storms, using it to defend their territory and to strike down their enemies. It was said that they could call down lightning from the sky, striking their foes with deadly accuracy." The scout reached for a red pen and began to mark the map. "Here, see this area?" they said, pointing to a section of the map. "This is where I've seen a group of pale lightning goblins hunting. We need to avoid these areas if we can."

The scout looked up at the Norm, his face still hidden in the shadows of his hood. "I'm Tislet," he said, his voice low and gravelly. "I'm a tracker, and I know the White Forest better than anyone. If you need someone to guide you through its dangers, I'm your man." "I might be able to help you," he said, his voice low and cautious. "But it depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay." "But don't worry," the scout said. "I've been through the White Forest many times, and I know how to navigate its dangers. As long as you follow my lead and do as I say, you'll be safe."
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2022-12-26 at 12:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGuy

Tamara didn't like the results of get divination. She liked getting answers or at least a clue. It seemed tonight was full of disappointment. Now they were planning on heading out in a storm? She visibly shook her head but couldn't bring herself to disagree. The girl would be dead by morning. She may already be, but if they waited the would be no doubt. And she did need to go into the forest, this just wasn't how she had thought it would happen.

"I'll need to change" she decided gesturing down at her finery. "And we should make sure at least one of us knows where we are going. Divination has its limitations." She left to her room to change into her travelers clothes with a heavy cloak covering her and packed her essentials before returning to the common room.

Time for another adventure.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Show
    They're rare, but they're out there. If you see one, run. They're fast and they breathe ice." "Ice drakes are the most dangerous creatures in the White Forest," the scout said, their voice low and serious. The hooded scout sat at the table, their eyes fixed on the map in front of them. "We need to be careful when we enter the White Forest," the scout said, their voice low and serious. "There are many dangers that we need to watch out for. But perhaps the most dangerous of all are the ice drakes." "They're rare, but they're out there. And if you see one, you need to run. They're fast and they breathe ice."

Think there’s some accidental duplication in here.

Norm repeats Tislet’s words under his breath. “Pale lightning tribe. Storm magic users”. He wears rings on most of his fingers, but the largest and plainest is on his left index and he fiddles with it as he listens, turning it around and around. As he learns of the goblins, the wind in the common room flickers. It whips at his cloak and his clothes flap like he is on a horse at hard gallop for a second. Then, as quickly as it came, the air is still.

“Tislet,” says Norm, “You say enough that this one does not think your services come cheap. Follow me to the others, let us hear your price together.”
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-26 at 12:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

BlackDragon

Show
    They're rare, but they're out there. If you see one, run. They're fast and they breathe ice." "Ice drakes are the most dangerous creatures in the White Forest," the scout said, their voice low and serious. The hooded scout sat at the table, their eyes fixed on the map in front of them. "We need to be careful when we enter the White Forest," the scout said, their voice low and serious. "There are many dangers that we need to watch out for. But perhaps the most dangerous of all are the ice drakes." "They're rare, but they're out there. And if you see one, you need to run. They're fast and they breathe ice."

Think there’s some accidental duplication in here.

Norm repeats Tislet’s words under his breath. “Pale lightning tribe. Storm magic users”. He wears rings on most of his fingers, but the largest and plainest is on his left index and he fiddles with it as he listens, turning it around and around. As he learns of the goblins, the wind in the common room flickers. It whips at his cloak and his clothes flap like he is on a horse at hard gallop for a second. Then, as quickly as it came, the air is still.

“Tislet,” says Norm, “You say enough that this one does not think your services come cheap. Follow me to the others, let us hear your price together.”
    As the man finished speaking, the scout nodded once more, his decision made. He knew what he had to do, and he was ready to do whatever it took to succeed in his mission. Without a second thought, the scout stood up and followed Norm as he made his way through the crowded tavern.

Miller Elienas was a middle-aged man with a rugged, weathered face and a determined look in his eyes. "Those aren't the goblins that took my daughter," he said, his fists clenched at his sides. "The goblins were a fearsome sight to behold, with skin that was many different shades of green and yellow. Their eyes flashed with malice, and their sharp teeth glinted in the dim light. The armor was intricately decorated with swirling patterns and intricate designs, and it looked like it had been crafted by skilled hands. Each goblin wore a helmet that looked like a wolf with its fanged mouth open in a snarl, and their eyes glinted with a cold, calculating look. The goblins moved with a sense of purpose, their armor clinking and clanking as they marched forward. They seemed almost mechanical in their movements, as if they were machines rather than living beings. Each goblin warrior held a dagger in their hand, their fingers wrapped tightly around the hilt as they stood ready for battle. The twisted dagger was a thing of nightmares, with three wicked blades that seemed to drip with venom. It was a weapon of death, designed to inflict maximum damage on its victims. Each goblin warrior held one of these daggers, their fingers wrapped tightly around the hilt as they stood ready for battle. The blades shone in the sunlight, seeming to pulse with an otherworldly energy. Each goblin warrior had a series of intricate purple tattoos covering their skin."
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2022-12-26 at 12:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg
    Stoneskin Dwarf Fighter 3
    AC: 18 HP: 42/42 PP: 15 (reroll miss by 1-3) PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    HD: 3/3d10, Conditions: none
    Superiority: 2/2 Stamina: 9/9
    Second Wind: 1/1 Action Surge: 1/1

Skegg had been eager to get started, preparing to ask the stout, no-nonsense kind of woman with a friendly face and a quick smile if she could get the horses ready tonight. But then the storm rolled in. Lightning. Skeeg had been struck by lightning once as a child, somehow survived, and didn't want to experience that again. Whenever he heard thunder, he thought the lightning was personally seeking him out among all others in order to finish what it had started when it had struck him before. Hearing the scout talk about the pale lightning goblins made it even worse. He no longer wanted to go outside, preferring the safety and warmth of the tavern. Maybe he'd even enjoy flirting with this woman for the evening.

But when Val and Sharra decide they are going out to look tonight, and even the miller, who obviously doesn't know how to navigate the woods, decides to go too, Skegg knows he needs to go with them. Despite his now obvious discomfort with the new information about the pale lightning goblins, and the thunderous storm outside, he does his best to overcome his fears. With much less enthusiasm than before, Skegg forces himself to ask the woman,

"It looks like my new friends are leaving tonight. Can you get the horses ready for us now?"

He's half hoping she says no and the others will be convinced to wait until morning. But despite the storm, if the others head out tonight, Skegg will go with them to help search.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Leaving the somewhat shaded corner he had been quietly eating, a short figure steps towards the group of would-be rescuers. Obviously a gnome by stature and the exaggerated features of his kind. To those in the know and paying attention, the muted colors of his hair, eyes and skin might provoke some surprise - deep gnomes are rare in these parts to say the least.

"I have some small experience with the dangers of the wilds. If you would have me, I am willing to aid you in your search this night."

Nothing in his mismatched clothes and equipment, with a knife the sole visible weapon, does anything to substantiate his claims. But he stands tall and calm, tilting his head to you all with a confident look in his pale green/blue eyes.

"Harbick, at your service", he says with a slight bow

Despite his demeanor, he has no true interest in going out into the dark night. But he has been travelling alone for too long now. A chance to ingratiate himself with the townsfolk, these able seeming outsiders, or both, is not to be ignored. Best to show some initiative then.
    Last edited by Hof; 2022-12-26 at 11:46 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

NecromancerGuy

"If we've aqquired horses and a guide I am am ready to go. I have all I need" Tamara mentions catching up on the conversation. Beneath hey cloak, get recently donned scale mail is evident. She raised her shield and stumbled a bit strapping it to get arm as if it was a recently learned skill. "To the stables?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    "If we've aqquired horses and a guide I am am ready to go. I have all I need" Tamara mentions catching up on the conversation. Beneath hey cloak, get recently donned scale mail is evident. She raised her shield and stumbled a bit strapping it to get arm as if it was a recently learned skill. "To the stables?"
    Norm grits his teeth but relents.

“How much will this inn’s horse set me back?”

14. - Top - End - #44

BlackDragon

Norm grits his teeth but relents.

“How much will this inn’s horse set me back?”
    The barmaid smiles broadly, then replies, "Well, it will depend on what kind of horse you'd like to lease or purchase -- a warhorse will set you back more than a simple riding horse, but will be more apt to meet any of the many dangers you may encounter in the White Forest."

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Skegg

Skegg had been eager to get started, preparing to ask the stout, no-nonsense kind of woman with a friendly face and a quick smile if she could get the horses ready tonight. But then the storm rolled in. Lightning. Skeeg had been struck by lightning once as a child, somehow survived, and didn't want to experience that again. Whenever he heard thunder, he thought the lightning was personally seeking him out among all others in order to finish what it had started when it had struck him before. Hearing the scout talk about the pale lightning goblins made it even worse. He no longer wanted to go outside, preferring the safety and warmth of the tavern. Maybe he'd even enjoy flirting with this woman for the evening.

But when Val and Sharra decide they are going out to look tonight, and even the miller, who obviously doesn't know how to navigate the woods, decides to go too, Skegg knows he needs to go with them. Despite his now obvious discomfort with the new information about the pale lightning goblins, and the thunderous storm outside, he does his best to overcome his fears. With much less enthusiasm than before, Skegg forces himself to ask the woman,

"It looks like my new friends are leaving tonight. Can you get the horses ready for us now?"

He's half hoping she says no and the others will be convinced to wait until morning. But despite the storm, if the others head out tonight, Skegg will go with them to help search.

Show

The barmaid nods, "Certainly I can get the horses ready for you, but I'll have to know what kind you want, and whether you want to simply lease them, or purchase them outright."

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    As the man finished speaking, the scout nodded once more, his decision made. He knew what he had to do, and he was ready to do whatever it took to succeed in his mission. Without a second thought, the scout stood up and followed Norm as he made his way through the crowded tavern.

Miller Elienas was a middle-aged man with a rugged, weathered face and a determined look in his eyes. "Those aren't the goblins that took my daughter," he said, his fists clenched at his sides. "The goblins were a fearsome sight to behold, with skin that was many different shades of green and yellow. Their eyes flashed with malice, and their sharp teeth glinted in the dim light. The armor was intricately decorated with swirling patterns and intricate designs, and it looked like it had been crafted by skilled hands. Each goblin wore a helmet that looked like a wolf with its fanged mouth open in a snarl, and their eyes glinted with a cold, calculating look. The goblins moved with a sense of purpose, their armor clinking and clanking as they marched forward. They seemed almost mechanical in their movements, as if they were machines rather than living beings. Each goblin warrior held a dagger in their hand, their fingers wrapped tightly around the hilt as they stood ready for battle. The twisted dagger was a thing of nightmares, with three wicked blades that seemed to drip with venom. It was a weapon of death, designed to inflict maximum damage on its victims. Each goblin warrior held one of these daggers, their fingers wrapped tightly around the hilt as they stood ready for battle. The blades shone in the sunlight, seeming to pulse with an otherworldly energy. Each goblin warrior had a series of intricate purple tattoos covering their skin."
    The scout Tislet starts to attention at this out burst by Miller Elienas. He seems to worry on the matter, rubbing his gristled chin pointedly for a minute that seems to last an hour. The scout then speaks in a measured tone, "This is dire news indeed -- if what you say is true, friend, the description you have given is of the dust goblins of the Western Wastes. It appears some of their number may have traveled east to the Lands of the Crossroads. If this is true, it cannot bode good for the fair people of Oakhaven, or the other inhabitants of the border regions of the Madgar Kingdom."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Naru'nrr's lips thin as their potential guide starts to explain just what kind of goblin they're going to be dealing with. "Seems like a good reason to hurry in my opinion," the wizard says, "If we don't, I have doubts that this will be the first incident like this. This kind of thing never happens only once."

With that rather ominous comment Naru'nrr turns to the barmaid his new Dwarf friend is talking to. "I suspect that even leasing warhorse will be out of my price range, but perhaps if we double up..."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSMP View Post
    Naru'nrr's lips thin as their potential guide starts to explain just what kind of goblin they're going to be dealing with. "Seems like a good reason to hurry in my opinion," the wizard says, "If we don't, I have doubts that this will be the first incident like this. This kind of thing never happens only once."

With that rather ominous comment Naru'nrr turns to the barmaid his new Dwarf friend is talking to. "I suspect that even leasing warhorse will be out of my price range, but perhaps if we double up..."
    Norm nods. He does not prefer riding and warhorse will be too much, but if Naru’nrr takes the reigns then Norm will ride behind. Besides, he is curious about Naru’nrr and much keen to speak with him and a double up will provide the opportunity.

19. - Top - End - #49

MindFlayer

The barmaid nods, "Certainly I can get the horses ready for you, but I'll have to know what kind you want, and whether you want to simply lease them, or purchase them outright."
    Harbick chimes in: "I would like to purchase a riding horse. A warhorse is too much of an investment, plus I don't think I have the bulk needed to control one. Unless someone else wants to share the price and double up with me?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

"Unless anyone is holding riches in their pocket, I suspect we'll all need to double up. I'll put forward what I can," Sharra says.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg

Skegg doesn't want to run beside the others, but paying for a horse to look for someone else's child seems like a waste of his money.

"Riding horses will be fine. We will return them when we're done, so just the lease price. I'm sure the miller will vouch for their return." He looks over at the miller, daring him to deny us the horses. He then turns to the woman and smiles.

"Or you could donate the use of the horses for this worthy cause."
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-12-27 at 01:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

"Riding horses should be sufficient I would think and yes I think returning them would be best assuming they survive. I can ride front or back if we're doubling up but let's not push the animals too hard if that's the case" Tamara explained.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    "Riding horses should be sufficient I would think and yes I think returning them would be best assuming they survive. I can ride front or back if we're doubling up but let's not push the animals too hard if that's the case" Tamara explained.
    The barmaid interjects "A warhorse will set you back 400 gold pieces, a riding horse 75, and a pony 30 -- you can rent any of these for a tenth of those amounts per a fortnight, but you're liable but their whole value if they die during their term of lease."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you guys coming or what?" Val called from out in the rain, soaking.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Hold your horses!" Naru'nrr calls out to the increasingly wet knight standing in the wet night before looking down at the Dwarf. "Okay how about this; we go halves on leasing a riding horse, and if anything happens to it we also split the rest of the cost. That sound good to you?"

26. - Top - End - #56

MindFlayer

The barmaid interjects "A warhorse will set you back 400 gold pieces, a riding horse 75, and a pony 30 -- you can rent any of these for a tenth of those amounts per a fortnight, but you're liable but their whole value if they die during their term of lease."
    "A lease of a riding horse, here you go", Harbick says as he counts out 8 gold pieces and hands them to the barmaid. "Anyone who wants to join my ride, now is your chance."

He then takes a final few bites of his meal, before getting his equipment and mounting the horse. With some difficulty at first, as the horse is too high. Harbick mutters to himself, although still audible to others outside in the rain "They'll know soon enough anyway". For about a second an aura of increased shadow gathers around him, before this suddenly stretches out and disappears with a dim flash. Somewhere during this, he disappeared from the ground and reappeared on top of his horse.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    "A lease of a riding horse, here you go", Harbick says as he counts out 8 gold pieces and hands them to the barmaid. "Anyone who wants to join my ride, now is your chance."

He then takes a final few bites of his meal, before getting his equipment and mounting the horse. With some difficulty at first, as the horse is too high. Harbick mutters to himself, although still audible to others outside in the rain "They'll know soon enough anyway". For about a second an aura of increased shadow gathers around him, before this suddenly stretches out and disappears with a dim flash. Somewhere during this, he disappeared from the ground and reappeared on top of his horse.
    “Quite some skill. Quite some skill.” Norm admires. With the drow and the dwarf pairing up, he follows Harbick. “This one will gladly travel with you and share the cost of the lease, if you will permit him to be curious about your vault just now.”

28. - Top - End - #58

NecromancerGuy

Tamara pays the 8 gold for the riding horse as well. "You're welcome to double with me Sharra" she works too the remaining member of the group. She wouldn't mind having a conversation with her. With her battle scars, Tamara was sure there was a lot of experience behind those eyes and comments. She'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity.

Tamara follows the rest out and mints her horse ready to embark.

29. - Top - End - #59

MindFlayer

“Quite some skill. Quite some skill.” Norm admires. With the drow and the dwarf pairing up, he follows Harbick. “This one will gladly travel with you and share the cost of the lease, if you will permit him to be curious about your vault just now.”
    "Climb on then, so we may be off. I have had an affinity with transporting magics as long as I can remember. Perhaps it will be useful in our mission this night. I noticed some wind around you was not entirely natural. I assume then that you have some magical ability of your own?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    "Climb on then, so we may be off. I have had an affinity with transporting magics as long as I can remember. Perhaps it will be useful in our mission this night. I noticed some wind around you was not entirely natural. I assume then that you have some magical ability of your own?"
    Norm pauses for a minute. He speaks the language, but he knows the word wind can have two meanings, and he has found the food of this place is quite effectively digested. He errs on the side of caution and elects to ignore it.

“Yes. Yes. Magic you may call it though I have studied nothing and earned less. For as long as I can remember those of my family who listened could feel the movements and the moods of the winds that lingered around our home, though they only rarely acknowledged us more than any other mortal, and so we might occasionally direct a gust here or there.

“Since I have begun travelling however, I find there are magics I can use, magics that come to me as tribute. The winds of this land are far more obliging, they flock to me and seek my notice, like I am an emissary from some Noble Lord with whom they would wish to curry even reflected favor. It’s how I got these rituals, but I am keen now to gain understanding from those who use and study magic in the natural way.
    ” Norm taps the small circular book chained to his belt, as he speaks to indicate what he means. Then he pulls himself up onto the horse, awkwardly seated behind Harbick.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-28 at 08:24 AM.