GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: 5e Adventures in Midgard 5e IC

Skegg
    Stoneskin Dwarf Fighter 3
    AC: 18 HP: 42/42 PP: 15 (reroll miss by 1-3) PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    HD: 3/3d10, Conditions: none
    Superiority: 2/2 Stamina: 9/9
    Second Wind: 1/1 Action Surge: 1/1

Skegg doesn't want to share a horse with anyone. He's concerned his excessive weight might already be too much for one of the beasts, so he smiles at Naru'nrr and slaps his belly, even though he really has no gut. He's just a compact bundle of muscle.

"I should probably ride alone. Horses can only handle so much weight. Perhaps one of the gnomes will share with you." He gives the woman 10gp to lease one of the riding horses.

"Get me a strong riding horse. Whichever one you think would be best for me."
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-12-28 at 08:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Fair enough," Naru'nrr nods before pulling out his coin purse again, lightly tossing it in the air before catching it again. "You know what, I think I'll splurge, I do that so rarely these days," the Drow continues as he starts pulling out golden coins, "I'll buy a riding horse, and if you could find me one that doesn't spook easily it'd be appreciated." In moments there's seventy-five shining coins counted out for the barmaid

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    Tamara pays the 8 gold for the riding horse as well. "You're welcome to double with me Sharra" she works too the remaining member of the group. She wouldn't mind having a conversation with her. With her battle scars, Tamara was sure there was a lot of experience behind those eyes and comments. She'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity.

Tamara follows the rest out and mints her horse ready to embark.
    "Thank you," Sharra says to Tamara.

Outside in the rain, she calls out to everyone. "Tamara and I will take point-she'll focus on riding the horse, while I'll keep an eye out for any ambushes or anything of the sort. I've an eye for this sort of thing."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Passive Perception 20, so I should be able to spot most anything that comes our way!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

Outside in the rain, she calls out to everyone. "Tamara and I will take point-she'll focus on riding the horse, while I'll keep an eye out for any ambushes or anything of the sort. I've an eye for this sort of thing."

Show
    Passive Perception 20, so I should be able to spot most anything that comes our way!
    That reminds me…” says Norm. He snaps his fingers and in a coalescence of wind a horned owl fades into view from nowhere, swooping to land on his outstretched arm. “A little girl is missing. Taken by Goblins who may talk to the storm, too. Help us.” The language he speaks isn’t nordic, and instead sounds like whistles and breathy song. The owl hoots, then takes to wing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Owl has 120ft dark vision, and keen senses for advantage on perception, on the statblock I checked DM, if you’re happy.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-28 at 02:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Blorcyn View Post
    That reminds me…” says Norm. He snaps his fingers and in a coalescence of wind a horned owl fades into view from nowhere, swooping to land on his outstretched arm. “A little girl is missing. Taken by Goblins who may talk to the storm, too. Help us.” The language he speaks isn’t nordic, and instead sounds like whistles and breathy song. The owl hoots, then takes to wing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Owl has 120ft dark vision, and keen senses for advantage on perception, on the statblock I checked DM, if you’re happy.
    Just marking that I'm accepting the owl stats and I'm tracking that as you move into the forest. Why don't you go ahead and roll for Passive Perception for it too.

Show
    Just marking that I read the ooc and I'm taking account of Passive Perception 20 as you move into the forest, along with the owl.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSMP View Post
    "Fair enough," Naru'nrr nods before pulling out his coin purse again, lightly tossing it in the air before catching it again. "You know what, I think I'll splurge, I do that so rarely these days," the Drow continues as he starts pulling out golden coins, "I'll buy a riding horse, and if you could find me one that doesn't spook easily it'd be appreciated." In moments there's seventy-five shining coins counted out for the barmaid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Skegg

Skegg doesn't want to share a horse with anyone. He's concerned his excessive weight might already be too much for one of the beasts, so he smiles at Naru'nrr and slaps his belly, even though he really has no gut. He's just a compact bundle of muscle.

"I should probably ride alone. Horses can only handle so much weight. Perhaps one of the gnomes will share with you." He gives the woman 10gp to lease one of the riding horses.

"Get me a strong riding horse. Whichever one you think would be best for me."
    The barmaid Dradola quickly procures the riding horses for Skegg and Naru'nrr .

Are we all ready to go? I'll move on with the party going into the White Forest.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The owl statblock gives its passive perception as 13, unless is there a variant to roll for passive that I’ve missed?

Norm nods to the others. With the owl gliding into the shadow of the tree line, he’s ready to go.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-28 at 06:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

With his new horse's reins in hand, Naru'nrr starts making his way over to where some of his new companions are already gathered, in one of the few places nearby with any degree of protection from the weather. "Let's ride!" Is all that he says once he's climbed into the horse's back

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg

Skegg nods to the woman as he takes his horse. Most dwarves would have trouble mounting a regular riding horse, with its saddle well above their head, but Skegg isn't most dwarves. He reaches up to the saddle and grabs the pommel, and with one fluid motion, flips himself around, off the ground and onto the saddle. Once mounted, he smiles back at the woman.

"I'll bring her back to you shortly. I never got your name. Who should I ask for when I return?"

He then looks to the others, "I'm ready."

Show

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Dradola - Barmaid at Eagle Tavern in Oakhaven
    Oakhaven sits Madgar kingdom, on the edge of the White Forest, along the banks of the Templine River, at the foot of the White Mountains

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-12-28 at 08:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

BlackDragon

As the group of riders on horseback exit the small town of Oakhaven, they are met with a driving rainstorm that seems to be getting worse by the minute. The main road leading out of town is slick and slippery, making it difficult for the horses to maintain their footing. Despite the challenging conditions, the riders press on, determined to reach their destination. As the rainstorm sweeps through the small town, the main street becomes a scene of chaos. The pavement is slick and shiny, slick with rainwater, and puddles have formed in every low spot. The storm drains struggle to keep up with the deluge, and water cascades over the curbs and onto the sidewalks. Pedestrians huddle under awnings and dash from one dry spot to another, trying to stay out of the rain. The sound of rain pounding against the roofs and windshields fills the air, and lightning flashes in the distance. Horse-drawn carts and carriages struggle to make their way through the muddy road, their wheels sinking into the soft ground and sending up sprays of water and mud. Despite the inclement weather, the riders are determined to press on. They huddle under their hoods and rain gear, trying to stay dry as they make their way through the gates and onto the main road. The rain falls in sheets, drenching the ground and making it difficult to see. Despite the challenges they face, the riders remain focused and determined, pushing through the storm as they make their way out of town. They ride in a tight formation, seeking protection from the elements and support from one another. The main gates of the small town are a formidable sight, with two tall towers flanking either side of the entrance. The gates themselves are made of thick, solid wood, reinforced with iron bands. A heavy chain is looped through the gates, holding them securely closed. Above the gates, a drawbridge spans the distance between the towers, allowing people and vehicles to pass through. The drawbridge is made of sturdy planks of wood, supported by thick ropes and a system of pulleys and levers. It can be raised or lowered as needed, allowing access to the town or protecting it from unwanted visitors. Guards stand watch on either side of the gates, their armor and weapons glinting in the sunlight. They keep a vigilant eye on the surrounding area, ready to defend the town from any threats that may arise. Despite its small size, the town is well-protected, with a strong wall and gates that can withstand even the most determined attack. As the rainstorm rages on, the statue of the sun god Khors stands tall and proud by the main gates of the town. The statue is a grand, impressive sight, depicting the god with his arms outstretched, as if embracing the world. He is carved from gleaming white marble, and his face is serene and peaceful. Despite the heavy rain, the statue remains unscathed, standing tall and unyielding against the elements. Water streams down its surface, but it seems impervious to the storm. It is as if the god of the sun is determined to show his power and strength, even in the midst of the worst weather. As the storm rages on, people huddle under awnings and seek shelter wherever they can find it. They watch the statue with a mix of awe and respect, grateful for the protection it offers. Despite the chaos and uncertainty of the rainstorm, the statue of the god of the sun stands as a beacon of hope and light, reminding everyone that even in the darkest of times, there is always a glimmer of hope.

As the riders pass through the gates and into the forest, they are greeted by a thick, impenetrable darkness. The trees are tall and dense, blocking out most of the light, and the only illumination comes from the faint glow of the moon and the riders' own torches. As the group of riders on horseback enters the dark forest, the rain seems to intensify, causing the riders to huddle closer together for warmth and protection. The sound of the rain pounding against their hoods and the howling wind through the trees is almost deafening. Visibility is poor, and the riders have to rely on their horses' instincts to navigate through the dense underbrush.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2022-12-28 at 08:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Val rides close behind their leaders, the darkness a true inhibition on her sight. She was out in the rain before the others, too, as those with her were delay fish.

"Press on! A child’s life depends on it!"
    She pats her trusty horse’s neck.
    "Come on, girl. We can make it!"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Keep your eyes open as best as you can," Naru'nrr whispers as they continue along, now thoroughly soaked. Wiping water from his face, he cranes his neck as he looks around, knowing from experience just how quickly an ambush can come when you're not in friendly territory.

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

The group of travelers moved slowly along the narrow road, single file, as they made their way through the dense forest. The trees towered above them, their white trunks standing out in stark contrast to the dark, verdant foliage. The travelers were a mix of horseback riders and those on foot, each one lost in their own thoughts as they navigated the winding path. The air was filled with the sounds of the forest - the rustling of leaves in the gentle breeze, the chirping of birds and the occasional soft clop of hooves on the dirt road. The travelers were surrounded by a variety of species of trees, including aspen, birch, poplar, sycamore, and gum, each one distinct and beautiful in its own way. The road was narrow and winding, and the travelers had to be careful as they made their way through the dense underbrush. The trees seemed to close in around them, creating a sense of intimacy and isolation as they journeyed deeper into the forest. Despite the challenges of the journey, the travelers remained undaunted. They were a determined and resourceful group, and they knew that they could rely on each other to get through whatever obstacles lay ahead. As they made their way through the forest, the travelers forged a strong bond, united by their shared sense of adventure and determination to reach their destination. The rainstorm swept through the forest, its heavy drops pitter-pattering on the leaves and branches of the trees. The narrow road that wound its way through the forest was quickly transformed into a slick, muddy mess, as the rainwater collected in puddles on the surface. The sound of the rain was a constant cacophony, filling the air with a soothing, rhythmic sound. The trees rustled in the wind, their leaves tossing and turning as the storm raged on. Despite the downpour, the forest was alive with the sounds of nature - the chirping of birds, the rustling of leaves, and the occasional croak of a frog. As the travelers made their way along the narrow road, they had to navigate carefully to avoid the puddles that had formed. The road was slick and treacherous, and it was clear that the rain had made their journey much more difficult.

13. - Top - End - #73

Sharra frowns. "We need to make sure we're on the right trail-all the haste in the world won't do us any good if we're not on the proper path. Who here is an experienced tracker?"

Show
    Sharra will Help anyone who attempts to track our innocent, granting them Advantage on the roll.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sharra frowns. "We need to make sure we're on the right trail-all the haste in the world won't do us any good if we're not on the proper path. Who here is an experienced tracker?"

Show
    Sharra will Help anyone who attempts to track our innocent, granting them Advantage on the roll.
    Norm can barely hear Sharra, even though she is only feet ahead of him.

WHAT?!” he shouts. He’s had quite enough of the rain. He turns the ring on his finger and whispers to the wind, in Auran. “If you don’t mind, keep this rain from me.

A GUST creates a shield of air by channelling itself straight up above the head of Norm and his gnome companion and their horse.

When Sharra repeats herself, he turns back to see if he can spot Tislet, the tracker the band had hired. Surely, he would be the best at survival craft in this forest so close to his home and so well known to him. Norm can ask the storm for GUIDANCE, despite all its bluster hitherto, and he does so for whoever looks for tracks.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-29 at 02:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

WHAT?!” he shouts. He’s had quite enough of the rain. He turns the ring on his finger and whispers to the wind, in Auran. “If you don’t mind, keep this rain from me.

A GUST creates a shield of air by channelling itself straight up above the head of Norm and his gnome companion and their horse.
    "Quite an impressive ability and very welcome, Norm." Harbick speaks in a low voice, even though the rain would probably drown out the sound.

"Now that the rain is no longer pelting us, perhaps you would like to light a torch? I can see well enough in the dark, but finding tracks should be easier in the light. I have some in my backpack, along with a tinderbox. I would rather keep both my hands on the reins."

Show
    With 120' darkvision, Harbick will keep looking for nearby threats

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    "Quite an impressive ability and very welcome, Norm." Harbick speaks in a low voice, even though the rain would probably drown out the sound.

"Now that the rain is no longer pelting us, perhaps you would like to light a torch? I can see well enough in the dark, but finding tracks should be easier in the light. I have some in my backpack, along with a tinderbox. I would rather keep both my hands on the reins."

Show
    With 120' darkvision, Harbick will keep looking for nearby threats
    Norm listens to the older adventurer, and does as requested, picking a gnome-sized torch from the middle pouch of Harbick's pack. Fumbling with wet fingers, he fails to find the tinderbox. He sighs.

Do you have a light?” he asks the wind. The air around him suddenly sparks with tiny, thin blue arcs of lightning, and Prestidigitation lights the torch. He blows on it, coaxing the flame until it gives a healthy light. "You are a gracious host, I am much obliged."
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-29 at 07:26 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg

Skegg pulls his cloak tight in the downpour but it barely helps. It keeps the pounding rain off, but it is soaked completely through. Skegg is as wet as if he hadn't had a cloak at all. He looks on with jealousy as Norm protects himself and his companion from the rain. While he had been chatty in the tavern, he keeps his talking simple out in this weather.

"Watch out for ambushes too."

While others try to follow the trail, Skegg keeps his eyes out for any danger. He does not light a torch, instead relying on his darkvision and the others' lights.

Show
    Guard subskill should give him +1 to perception for this.

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Dradola - Barmaid at Eagle Tavern in Oakhaven
    Oakhaven sits Madgar kingdom, on the edge of the White Forest, along the banks of the Templine River, at the foot of the White Mountains

18. - Top - End - #78

NecromancerGuy

Tamara speaks a few words in ancient tongue and a light appears in her hand helping to light the way. She guides the horse out in front as directed by Sharra being careful to watch the footing over the treacherous terrain.

"Easy girl" she soothes the horse. Then speaks to Sharra behind her. "You bear the signs of many battles. Mary I ask what happened?"

Once they reach the last known location of the millers daughter, Tamara will attempt to track the goblins and the girl.

Show

[Roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Last edited by clash; 2022-12-29 at 01:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Sharra nods, as she uses her eagle eyes to help Tamara find what's needed. "I won't go into too many details, but I was part of a team. Infiltrators, espionage, all manner of hidden warfare. We were good... But we weren't perfect," she says, pausing a moment. "I was able to escape that last mission. But not everyone did."

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Val, her horse Veverka clopping through the mud, rides up next to Sharra and claps her on the shoulder.
    "Well, I for one am glad to have you here with me. I have always admired those who build up their bodies and minds together... I mean, I do alright, but there's my training and then there's what you can do."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Val, her horse Veverka clopping through the mud, rides up next to Sharra and claps her on the shoulder.
    "Well, I for one am glad to have you here with me. I have always admired those who build up their bodies and minds together... I mean, I do alright, but there's my training and then there's what you can do."
    Norm notes Val’s approach and the warmth with which she reassured Sharra after the confession. As someone beloved by the air, he has always had keen senses for conversation and writing in his immediate vicinity, and habit and negative experience has taught him to pretend he does not hear what he does.

Would he have been received as Val was? The people here are different, the customs are. The temperaments are. Perhaps he should be, too.

Harbick. You are from where?
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-29 at 04:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

MindFlayer

Harbick gets noticeably more tense as the topic comes up.

"I lived among my family and others of my kind once, but I had to leave or die... Perhaps something to be talked about later. When our attention is not taken up by more pressing matters. We can compare our histories upon our successful return, if you wish."

He then makes a point of keeping a watchful eye.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    Harbick gets noticeably more tense as the topic comes up.

"I lived among my family and others of my kind once, but I had to leave or die... Perhaps something to be talked about later. When our attention is not taken up by more pressing matters. We can compare our histories upon our successful return, if you wish."

He then makes a point of keeping a watchful eye.
    Norm goes silent at Harbick’s tone and reply. Perhaps it is not that Val is special, perhaps there is just some vital quality that Norm lacks and others possess. He holds the torch and does not speak again, listening instead to the far easier to win over wind. It has always been so, he was wrong to think that he might change things so that they otherwise.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-29 at 05:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

NecromancerGuy

Sharra nods, as she uses her eagle eyes to help Tamara find what's needed. "I won't go into too many details, but I was part of a team. Infiltrators, espionage, all manner of hidden warfare. We were good... But we weren't perfect," she says, pausing a moment. "I was able to escape that last mission. But not everyone did."
    "I'm rather new to adventuring myself. It was somewhat forced upon me so I think I could gain a lot from your experience if you don't mind giving me some tips along the way. My father and brothers are all done of the hunt so fortunately I know a bit about tracking." Tamara offered. She was always careful not to get into too many details about her quest. Few would really understand.
    Last edited by clash; 2022-12-29 at 06:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"As someone with a bit of experience in that field, feel free to ask me any questions on the subject of adventuring," Naru'nrr idly comments, wiping a bit of water from his face, "Back in the day my group had a bit of fame. Heh, the stories I could tell! Maybe if we make it back to the Eagle Tavern I'll share a few of them with you! It'd be good to share some of that knowledge with a new generation..."

26. - Top - End - #86

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    "I'm rather new to adventuring myself. It was somewhat forced upon me so I think I could gain a lot from your experience if you don't mind giving me some tips along the way. My father and brothers are all done of the hunt so fortunately I know a bit about tracking." Tamara offered. She was always careful not to get into too many details about her quest. Few would really understand.
    Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    As the tracker made her way through the dense forest, she kept a sharp eye out for any signs of her quarry. She quickly picked up the trail, following the goblin's tracks through the thick brush. As she tracked the goblin, the tracker began to pick up the scent of other creatures as well. She could smell the musky odor of large spider-like creatures, and she knew that she was getting closer to their target. The tracker moved cautiously, staying low to the ground and using the cover of the dense vegetation to stay hidden. She knew that the goblins and their spider allies were dangerous, and she didn't want to give away their position.

27. - Top - End - #87

BlackDragon

Norm can barely hear Sharra, even though she is only feet ahead of him.

When Sharra repeats herself, he turns back to see if he can spot Tislet, the tracker the band had hired. Surely, he would be the best at survival craft in this forest so close to his home and so well known to him. Norm can ask the storm for GUIDANCE, despite all its bluster hitherto, and he does so for whoever looks for tracks.
    The scout moved with stealth and grace, blending into the surrounding foliage as he followed the party from a safe distance. He was an expert at tracking and had learned to move silently through the forest, leaving no trace of his passing. As the party trudged along the muddy road, the scout kept pace with them.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary
    HP: 30/30, AC: 15, Resistance: None
    Conditions: None
    Spell Slots: 3/3
    Zhanty thought she could take a quick shortcut through part of the forest but she got distracted by some flora that she wanted to take samples of and ended up going a little bit further then she wanted down the wrong path.

When the rain started falling she set up a tarpaulin over her pony and cart for a little bit of shelter. The cart is of dwarven make, a bit large for a gnome like Zhanty, but it gets the job done. It is loaded with a chest of assorted tools. An Unseen Servant stands in the middle of the cart holding up the center of the tarpaulin so that the rain doesn't puddle.

She spots the light of the approaching party long before she can hear them over the storm.

Using the chest as cover she readies her crossbow so that it is loaded, leveled, and ready for trouble.

"Who goes there?"

Show
    Best way I thought of plugging the character into the situation, hope it is okay.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Norm taps at Harbick’s shoulder as the wagon and cart appears in the light of the torch, though of course the gnome has presumably seen it long before now. Though Norm can see the tarp, he sees no sign of the voice’s speaker. He does however see the hint of a crossbow bolt’s point glinting.

Norm slowly unhooks his shield from his cloak and pulls it onto his right arm. His left hand forms a fist, but he does not yet raise his ring to point at the cart.

Norm raises his voice.

Authority is not given to you to blockade this trail to agents of the Lord of Oakhaven on official dispensation. Lower your arms, state your name and business in this forest. We are on the trail of a childsnatcher, not a pleasant thing to be caught and tangled in, stranger.

Norm’s voice does not sound foreign anymore, but instead could be any native speaker from the valley of the White Mountains.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[12]
    (CHA Deception +6, trained +1Acting rr 1-3)
    (I’ve chosen mimicry as the second starting trained skill. DM in this roll where it’s acting but also mimicry of accent, does a trained skill get a +1 from both sub skills?)

OOC: I'll use non bolded, or else italics for wind talking, for Norm now, to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2022-12-30 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Court to cart

30. - Top - End - #90

MindFlayer

While approaching the cart, Harbick gathers shadow and light in one hand. With an experienced gesture, he forms them into the shape of two battleaxes and a net. The weapons are all shimmer and shade, but no visible substance. As he hangs one of the axes and the net from his belt, it is obvious to anyone close by, that the objects are not weightless. Probably no illusion then.

After Norm's proclamation, Harbick whispers "Good show lad, you have me convinced!"

Show
    Projected weapons last for a minute.