GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: 5e Adventures in Midgard 5e IC

Skegg
    Stoneskin Dwarf Fighter 3
    AC: 18 HP: 42/42 PP: 15 (reroll miss by 1-3) PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    HD: 3/3d10, Conditions: none
    Superiority: 2/2 Stamina: 9/9
    Second Wind: 1/1 Action Surge: 1/1

Skegg recognizes the dwarven origin of the cart and immediately feels at ease. It reminds him of a cart he used to ride as a child. He has great memories of riding into town with his father to help him sell his homemade furniture. Skegg never learned the trade, but he enjoyed the trips and time with his father.

When he sees the gnome pointing a crossbow at us, he isn't terribly concerned. She doesn't seem aggressive, just cautious. Norm's formal salutation seems a bit excessive to Skegg, but likely effective at diffusing the situation. When he sees the tarp tented with no supports, he assumes the gnome knows some magic and thinks she might be helpful. It's too wet out here to threaten the gnome, or hold a long conversation, so he instead invites her to join us.

"Goblins stole the miller's daughter. We're going to get her back. You should join us. It should be fun."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Dradola - Barmaid at Eagle Tavern in Oakhaven
    Oakhaven sits Madgar kingdom, on the edge of the White Forest, along the banks of the Templine River, at the foot of the White Mountains

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Val eases her horse nearer to the gnome.
    "I am Valentýnka Huss, Knight of the Barony Huss, Sword of the Red Squirrel. I am in search of adventure and good deeds. I do not believe you are in league with those we are after. Could you lower your weapon, please?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"It's probably a good thing that we came across you," Naru'nrr begins, keeping his voice a bit lower as he looks around the area, "The White Forest is a dangerous place at the best of times, and these are not the best of times." He pauses for a moment, considering, "I don't suppose you saw any goblins passing nearby in the last couple hours, perhaps carrying a woman off with them?" If the Gnome has, then it gives them a better idea of what direction their targets are going in.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSMP View Post
    "It's probably a good thing that we came across you," Naru'nrr begins, keeping his voice a bit lower as he looks around the area, "The White Forest is a dangerous place at the best of times, and these are not the best of times." He pauses for a moment, considering, "I don't suppose you saw any goblins passing nearby in the last couple hours, perhaps carrying a woman off with them?" If the Gnome has, then it gives them a better idea of what direction their targets are going in.
    Norm coughs awkwardly. It was clear he wasn’t quite taking the right tack … again. Still, despite the conversation and the friendly overtones — from the others — the gnome has yet to lower her crossbow, and her cart is parked right across the track into the forest that the diviner has led them to.

Norm looks at her a little more closely, trying to get a read on her.

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

(1d20+3)[9]
    Spoiler: Norm
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson
    Planetouched Genie Warlock 3
    HP: 33/33, AC: 17
    Resistances: None, Conditions: None
    Pact Magic: 1/2
    Concentrating on: Invisibility

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary
    HP: 30/30, AC: 15, Resistance: None
    Conditions: None
    Spell Slots: 3/3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorcyn View Post
    Norm raises his voice.

Authority is not given to you to blockade this trail to agents of the Lord of Oakhaven on official dispensation. Lower your arms, state your name and business in this forest. We are on the trail of a childsnatcher, not a pleasant thing to be caught and tangled in, stranger.
    Zhanty lifts the crossbow, pointing it away from the others and releasing the tension on the bolt as she steps out from behind the chest. She stands a bit over a yard (about a meter) tall with lavender hair and a collection of assorted vials and pouches hanging on her person.

"It was not my intention to block your path, just can't be too careful when strangers are approach'n at night in these parts."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "Goblins stole the miller's daughter. We're going to get her back. You should join us. It should be fun."
    "Well, your reason for being out in this weather is better then mine, I will gladly join you in this."

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "I am Valentýnka Huss, Knight of the Barony Huss, Sword of the Red Squirrel. I am in search of adventure and good deeds. I do not believe you are in league with those we are after. Could you lower your weapon, please?"
    "Any friend of a squirrel is a friend of mine." Zhanty gives a quick whistle and holds out her hand, a little ball of fluff glides down from the branches above and lands on her hand. "This is Nibbles, say 'Hi' Nibbles." The fluffy squirrel waves with a paw and squeaks.

"This is Hazle", she indicates the pony, "and I am Zhanty Alsaz."

Show
    Did we notice the goblins passing through?
    Zhanty's Perception: (1d20+1)[17]
    Nibbles' Perception: (1d20+5)[9]
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-12-30 at 10:28 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary

Zhanty lifts the crossbow, pointing it away from the others and releasing the tension on the bolt as she steps out from behind the chest. She stands a bit over a yard (about a meter) tall with lavender hair and a collection of assorted vials and pouches hanging on her person.

"It was not my intention to block your path, just can't be too careful when strangers are approach'n at night in these parts."

"Well, your reason for being out in this weather is better then mine, I will gladly join you in this."

"Any friend of a squirrel is a friend of mine." Zhanty gives a quick whistle and holds out her hand, a little ball of fluff glides down from the branches above and lands on her hand. "This is Nibbles, say 'Hi' Nibbles." The fluffy squirrel waves with a paw and squeaks.

Show
    Zhanty's Perception: [roll0]
    Nibbles' Perception: [roll1]
    With the crossbow away, Norm lowers his shield, but does not yet go to replace it onto the back of his cloak. Although the wind keeps the worst of the rain from him, water drips from the edge of his hood onto his fingers and the reins and it is impossible not to notice the rivulets of water that cross the track and the grass (that is more like muddy soup than anything truly solid beneath the horses’ feet).

Vanir smile on our meeting, and allow it to grow fruitful,” says Norm, now forced to remain in the local accent, “Is your cart stuck?
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg

Skegg asks one of the others to hold his reins, jumps off his horse, and approaches Zhanty, pulling the hood off his cloak briefly so she can see his face before returning the hood to better protect him from the rain.

Since she's on the cart, he reaches up to shake her hand.

"Name's Skegg. Welcome to our little company. Nice cart. I had one like it when I was a kid. Do you need a hand?"

Show

Show
    Oakhaven sits Madgar kingdom, on the edge of the White Forest, along the banks of the Templine River, at the foot of the White Mountains

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

Sharra keeps an eye on the newcomer. She doesn't show any hostility, merely weariness.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary

Show
    Zhanty's Perception: [roll0]
    Nibbles' Perception: [roll1]
    Show
    Tamara made a successful skill check, but I can't see if they've shared that information with the rest of the group yet -- those check results aren't sufficient to locate anything useful

10. - Top - End - #100

BlackDragon

The group walks down the winding path through the dense interior of the White Forest, following this narrow, winding, serpentine path that leads deeper and deeper into the wilderness.

They suddenly hear a faint cry echoing through the trees. At first, they thought it might be an animal, perhaps a bird or a small mammal. But as the cry grows louder and more urgent, they realize that it was the sound of a human voice -- a small child or woman. The sound is faint and distant, but it's clear that it's a cry of distress. The group stops in their tracks, trying to locate the source of the cry. It was coming from up ahead, off to the left side of the path.

11. - Top - End - #101

"We're not here to fight the goblins-only to rescue the child," Sharra says as they pinpoint the voice. "We get in, get her, and flee to safety. I don't want any last stands here-fight them if you have to, but our priority is rescue."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarius5555 View Post
    The group walks down the winding path through the dense interior of the White Forest, following this narrow, winding, serpentine path that leads deeper and deeper into the wilderness.

They suddenly hear a faint cry echoing through the trees. At first, they thought it might be an animal, perhaps a bird or a small mammal. But as the cry grows louder and more urgent, they realize that it was the sound of a human voice -- a small child or woman. The sound is faint and distant, but it's clear that it's a cry of distress. The group stops in their tracks, trying to locate the source of the cry. It was coming from up ahead, off to the left side of the path.
    If Jeannie, Norm’s owl is within 100 feet he calls her back and casts Guidance on her before then sending her to stealthily investigate what’s there before returning. Norm holds tightly onto the reins, without telling the others that he will be looking through Jeannie’s senses, and unable to hear or see them while he does not wishing to reveal his vulnerability.

Spoiler
    Show
    What would you like me to roll for the owl, and in which order for the Guidance bonus?
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Please hold, I can aid in your stealth", Harbick says in a stage whisper.

He reaches out with a ritualistic grasping motion. As he pulls his arm back in, he pulls strands of multicolor glowing light from the air. A quick twist and the strands are changed into a mixed tangle of almost-but-not-quite black shadows. Pointing at each of the group in turn, some of the shadows stream out and stick to you.

"These will help hiding you from any watchful eyes"

Show
    Cast Pass without Trace on everyone within 30ft. I assume this can be everyone, although I'm not sure if I'm on time for Norm's owl. Lasts an hour (concentration)

14. - Top - End - #104

NecromancerGuy

"We fight if we need to not because we want to" Tamara echoes Sharra's sentiment.

Tamara pulls back her sleeve revealing a strange mark on her arm. Some of you might recognize it as symbolizing death. She says a short incantation and suddenly the mark and her eyes begin glowing.

"Let him guide you" she offers to Sharra teaching back to touch her and letting power flow to her.

Show

She casts thaumaturgy on her eyes to make the glow and guidance on Sharra provided she is willing.

15. - Top - End - #105

Sharra breathes deeply. "I'll scout ahead on foot. With your aid," she says to the casters, "I should be practically invisible."

Show
    Stealth check!
    (1d20+16)[18] plus (1d4)[2]

Edit: Well that... Could've gone better. Still, dirty 20 isn't bad.

She moves ahead, avoiding getting too close to any of the goblins, and trying to get eyes on their rescue target.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-12-31 at 02:25 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Sharra breathes deeply. "I'll scout ahead on foot. With your aid," she says to the casters, "I should be practically invisible."

Show
    Stealth check!
    [roll0] plus [roll1]

Edit: Well that... Could've gone better. Still, dirty 20 isn't bad.

She moves ahead, avoiding getting too close to any of the goblins, and trying to get eyes on their rescue target.
    Show
    Just to confirm -- the cries are coming from the woods to the right of the path -- are you indicating you're going off the path in that direction?

17. - Top - End - #107

Show
    Just to confirm -- the cries are coming from the woods to the right of the path -- are you indicating you're going off the path in that direction?
    She heads for the sounds of crying.

Show
    Yes. Yes I am.

If there's an ambush, I do have my Passive Perception of 20 to help notice it.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    She heads for the sounds of crying.

Show
    Yes. Yes I am.

If there's an ambush, I do have my Passive Perception of 20 to help notice it.
    Jeannie the owl heads overhead with Sharra, and if anything happens then Norm leaves his trance and tells them.

Spoiler: stealth
    Show

(1d20+13)[22]
    (1d4)[2]
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSMP View Post
    "I don't suppose you saw any goblins passing nearby in the last couple hours, perhaps carrying a woman off with them?"
    Zhanty consults with Nibbles, "We haven't seen any goblins today, but we haven't been here long."
    Is your cart stuck?
    "The cart's fine, I just didn't want to try to try to traverse this forest alone, at night, in such a storm."

---

Zhanty is not very sneaky so she stays back and sends Nibbles 50 ft ahead and up a tree to keep a eye on things. After turning the cart around so it is ready to leave quickly she prepares to cast a spell.

Show
    Readied action to cast Entangle if a bunch of angry goblins come charging at the group. DC 13
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Harbick will also remain on the road, moving his horse a little closer to the cart. Harbick knows some magic to assist in stealth, but is aware his true talents lie elsewhere. He then speaks in a low volume.

"Miss Alsaz, Nibbles, Hazle, well met. I am Harbick Thralmodan, at your service. My apologies for not introducing myself earlier."

As he notices that Zhanty is, quite correctly, preparing for the worst, Harbick dismounts and creates his projected weapons again.

"Take the reins please, Norm." Harbick has yet to realize that Norm is linked with his owl and does not hear or see at this location.

Show
    Keeping concentration on Pass without Trace. Otherwise re-creating the weapons as needed - they only last a minute.

21. - Top - End - #111

NecromancerGuy

Tamara steadies herself as Sharra dismounts and follows her on the horse but letting her have about a 50 ft lead. She tries to keep her in sight as they move off the path towards the cry.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg

After offering to help Zhanty with her cart, Skegg remounts his and follows along with the others into the forest. When he hears the girl scream to the right of the trail, he hands off his reins again and jumps down, keeping his crossbow ready. He says nothing when the others talk about fighting only for necessity. He won't try to anger them, but he's probably not backing down from a fight if there is one.

After receiving the blessing of stealth from Harbick, he thanks him, his voice now muffled due to the magic.

"Thanks, Harbick. That's a neat trick."

He goes along with the other stealthy members into the woods, trying to determine what we might be up against.

Show
    Stealth: (1d20+16)[19]
    Perception: (1d20+4)[16]

Show

23. - Top - End - #113

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Skegg

After offering to help Zhanty with her cart, Skegg remounts his and follows along with the others into the forest. When he hears the girl scream to the right of the trail, he hands off his reins again and jumps down, keeping his crossbow ready. He says nothing when the others talk about fighting only for necessity. He won't try to anger them, but he's probably not backing down from a fight if there is one.

After receiving the blessing of stealth from Harbick, he thanks him, his voice now muffled due to the magic.

"Thanks, Harbick. That's a neat trick."

He goes along with the other stealthy members into the woods, trying to determine what we might be up against.

Show
    Stealth: [roll0]
    Perception: [roll1]

Show

Show
    Your perception check yields no significant results

EDIT: here's a link to the map:Map. Everyone please move your tokens were you want them.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2022-12-31 at 10:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

At the sound of the voice, Val snaps her reins and Veverka trots toward the voice, Val navigating her around the trees in a somewhat circuitous route that is still moving toward the voice, just not straight through thickets.

Show
    Knight in Shining Armor's going with her steed of course.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

From its position in the tree just beyond the squirrel knight and the one armed lady, Jeannie watches the master-sized creatures slink through the woods almost as noiselessly as she flies.

When the cry comes again, she glides silently 60ft toward the voice as her master sought. Jeannie can feel him behind her eyes, and when she gets as close as that one glide allows she alights silent in another tree and uses her keen eyes and ears to search for the source. The dark is no barrier for her.

Spoiler: perception
    Show

With advantage per Keen Senses.
    (1d20+3)[13]
    (1d20+3)[16]
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2023-01-01 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Night to knight.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Naru'nrr dismounts from his horse, taking a mere moment to attack the reins to one of the many nearby trees to keep her from bolting if a fight starts, before carefully starting to make his way towards the voices as well, making sure to keep low and silent to the best of his abilities, as well as keeping an eye out in case there's any hidden surprises nearby.

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    Stealth Check: (1d20+11)[25]
    Perception Check: (1d20+3)[13]

27. - Top - End - #117

BlackDragon

From its position in the tree just beyond the squirrel knight and the one armed lady, Jeannie watches the master-sized creatures slink through the woods almost as noiselessly as she flies.

When the cry comes again, she glides silently 60ft toward the voice as her master sought. Jeannie can feel him behind her eyes, and when she gets as close as that one glide allows she alights silent in another tree and uses her keen eyes and ears to search for the source. The dark is no barrier for her.

Spoiler: perception
    Show

With advantage per Keen Senses.
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Sharra perceives nothing except a chill cold wind blowing in a discernable vortex in the general area of the mysterious voice.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Sharra perceives nothing except a chill cold wind blowing in a discernable vortex in the general area of the mysterious voice.
    Spoiler
    Show

To check is this Sharra at her position or Jeannie the owl at its?
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

29. - Top - End - #119

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

To check is this Sharra at her position or Jeannie the owl at its?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sharra -- where is your token anyway, it's nowhere near the owl?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sharra -- where is your token anyway, it's nowhere near the owl?
    Spoiler
    Show

Jeannie the owl was ahead of Sharra and in that post you replied to I moved her closer to the sound by sixty feet, and she’s Norm’s owl, just to be clear. You quoted my post about the owl, but referenced Sharra. The owl is on the tree trunk not far from the suspicious sound text. The telepathic command thing is 100 feet but the sharing senses isn’t 100 feet is it (only familiar with familiar from Critical Role) Apologies if I’ve misunderstood.

No worries if I have. Just tell me where you want the owl and we’ll do whatever, sorry for any confusion I’ve caused.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2023-01-01 at 06:25 PM.