Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: 5e Adventures in Midgard 5e IC

Rune Trygveson (Tislet)
    Cleric - Level 3 - Passive Perception: 15
    HP: 24/24, AC: 18, Resistance: None
    Conditions: None
    Spell Slots: 6/6

Tislet considers the responses of the adventurers and nods.

"Very well. Since you're paying, I suppose I'll make myself useful then. When I signal, follow behind at a distance. I don't want to be caught all alone if there's something in there. But be quiet."

He pulls his cloak tighter around himself, and begins making his way toward the keep, using whatever cover he can find to conceal his approach.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+5)[13]
    Perception: (1d20+5)[19]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Sharra holds her one hand up. "If you're willing to take the risk, I'll go with."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213

RangerGuy

Rune Trygveson (Tislet)

As Sharra raises her hand as he's heading out, Tislet nods, steps over to her and pats her on the shoulder.

"Good to have you with me, then."

He then heads toward the keep as originally intended.

Show

Action: Blessing of the Trickster
    Sharra has Advantage to Stealth for 1 hour.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Jeannie, attend them.” Norm sends his owl to watch them from the trees and stealthily look ahead. He sends his mind behind her eyes as he remains in the cart

Spoiler
    Show

Perception w/ adv.:
    (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[4]

Stealth (1d20+3)[14] (assuming we don’t still have pass without trace)

Did Norm get enough time in the cart to count as a short rest, DM?
    Spoiler: Norm
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson
    Planetouched Genie Warlock 3
    HP: 33/33, AC: 17
    Resistances: None, Conditions: None
    Pact Magic: 1/2
    Concentrating on: Invisibility

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d20+6)[20] Advantage

Add 10 if we're still under the effects of Pass Without Trace-I'm not 100% clear on how much time has passed.

Sharra takes her time, moving with her fellow.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Blorcyn View Post
    Jeannie, attend them.” Norm sends his owl to watch them from the trees and stealthily look ahead. He sends his mind behind her eyes as he remains in the cart

Spoiler
    Show

Perception w/ adv.:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Stealth [roll2] (assuming we don’t still have pass without trace)

Did Norm get enough time in the cart to count as a short rest, DM?
    Spoiler: Reply OOC
    Show
    It can count as a short rest

7. - Top - End - #217

BlackDragon

The (seemingly ruined or at least long neglected) keep is divided from the rest of the clearing by a deep moat -- the waters of which are forded by a drawbridge which is currently lowered over the expanse.
    Last edited by Marcarius5555; 2023-01-21 at 12:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Norm relays the only clear passage way to those that have remained a little further back.

Does anyone else feel that it would leave us to exposed to attack? It would be very difficult to enter by stealth by this way. Perhaps some part has crumbled on the far side, and the moat can be crossed and the wall scaled, or there is another route in?

For the moment, he leaves Jeannie’s senses so that he can hear their replies.
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2023-01-21 at 11:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well, send your animal to search for ways around while the others continue scouting," Val says. "If they return before you find something, I think it's best to go in as we are."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Norm nods and does as instructed, casting his eyes behind Jeannie’s and sending her to fly around the castle and look for other routes in.

Spoiler
    Show

If perception:
    (1d20+3)[12]
    (1d20+3)[23]

If investigation:
    (1d20-4)[-2]
    Last edited by Blorcyn; 2023-01-21 at 01:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

NecromancerGuy

"Sometimes a more direct approach is nessecary. There will probably be many passageways that spilt off once we're inside" Tamara suggests taking the lead walking forward. Her gift should warn her off immanent danger at least.

12. - Top - End - #222

BlackDragon

Norm nods and does as instructed, casting his eyes behind Jeannie’s and sending her to fly around the castle and look for other routes in.

Spoiler
    Show

If perception:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

If investigation:
    [roll2]
    Spoiler: Norm: Perception
    Show
    There are no other obvious entrances. It's possible that the hill against which the fort is built contains another, hidden entrance, but otherwise the drawbridge is the only way over the moat, as well as the only evidence break in the high wall that surrounds the complex.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Norm shares what he found with the others, frustrated. He calls Jeannie back to him, and she lands on his shoulder.
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

14. - Top - End - #224

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Other options
    Show
    You can also search around the area to see if there are other hidden entrances or tunnels. It's just not something that a owl flying over from a high vantage would be able to figure out.

15. - Top - End - #225

NecromancerGuy

Tamara keeps moving forward. There wasn't much to be gained until the path spilt off. Right now this was their way in and it was ripe for an ambush. With her gift for premonition she was the best one to trigger said ambush.
    Last edited by clash; 2023-01-24 at 01:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

"If there's no other way in, then let us stop wasting time." Val calls for the party to assemble. "We move in together."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "If there's no other way in, then let us stop wasting time." Val calls for the party to assemble. "We move in together."
    Although searching on would be fine by him, Harbick recognizes that most of the group seems anxious to move forward.
    He gets off his horse and ties it somewhere a little out of sight.
    "I'm not enough of a horseman to control this animal inside a building. Lead on Val, I'm right behind you."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skegg
    Stoneskin Dwarf Fighter 3
    AC: 18 HP: 42/42 PP: 15 (reroll miss by 1-3) PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    HD: 3/3d10, Conditions: none
    Superiority: 2/2 Stamina: 9/9
    Second Wind: 1/1 Action Surge: 0/1

Skegg ties up his horse and goes with the group entering the castle. He gets impatient waiting for the others to decide, but he's not so foolish to enter by himself.

"Let's see if we can find any sign of these goblins."

Show

Map

19. - Top - End - #229

RangerGuy

Rune Trygveson (Tislet)

Tislet continues along ahead of the group, as originally planned. There being only one entrance changed little if they could get in and take a look around without being seen.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

If there is only one good entrance for us then we must have it. I will be with you, but let them underestimate us, and I shall hide from their sight, and sneak behind you as a reinforcement they might not expect if they are watching over the bridge

Norm clicks his fingers and Jeannie vanishes, and then with a turn of his ring and some mumbled words, the wind turns around him and he vanishes as he casts Invisibility and hides to sneak behind the group.
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary
    HP: 30/30, AC: 15, Resistance: None
    Spell Slots: 3/3
    Zhanty looks for a place to secure the Hazel's reins so she will be ready to join the others when they go in.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

22. - Top - End - #232

BlackDragon

The decrepit gatehouse loomed ahead, a towering structure of crumbling stone and moss-covered walls. The drawbridge, once grand and imposing, now hung at a crooked angle, the wooden planks splintered and rotting. The chains that held it in place were rusted and worn, and the gate itself hung off its hinges, creaking in the wind. As the party of adventurers approached, the stench of rot and decay grew stronger, emanating from the dark water below. The moat that surrounded the gatehouse was filled with murky, stagnant water, and the surface was covered in a thick layer of green slime. The water was so dark that it was impossible to see the bottom, but they could hear the faint sound of splashing, as if something lurked just beneath the surface. The gatehouse itself was in a state of ruin, with ivy crawling up the walls and vines hanging from the roof. The windows were boarded up, and the door hung open, revealing a dark and musty interior. The only sign of life was a group of crows perched on the roof, cawing loudly as they watched the party's approach. As they walked closer, the drawbridge creaked and groaned, the sound echoing through the abandoned courtyard. The adventurers could see that the mechanism for raising and lowering the bridge was broken, and it would take a great effort to cross. The only way to enter the gatehouse was to walk across the unstable and rotting planks, which looked as if they might give way at any moment.

As the night sky began to darken, the clouds rolled in, filling the sky with an eerie, foreboding presence. The clouds were thick and low, obscuring the stars and casting an ominous glow over the landscape. As the wind picked up, the clouds began to swirl and dance in the sky, as if they were alive. The gatehouse, already a formidable and imposing structure, now took on an even more ominous appearance, with the clouds casting shadows over the crumbling walls and boarded-up windows. The water in the moat, which had been calm and still earlier in the day, now churned and raged as the wind increased. The surface of the water was whipped into a frothy white, and the waves crashed against the walls of the moat, sending sprays of water into the air. The sound of the wind and the water was deafening, and it seemed as if the gatehouse was in the middle of a raging storm. As approached the gate house, the wind and the clouds grew even more intense. The rain began to fall in sheets, drenching you in seconds. The drawbridge, which was already in a state of disrepair, now looked even more unstable, the wood slick with rain and the chains rusting. The gate house itself was now obscured by the thick clouds and rain, making it impossible to see more than a few feet. It felt as if they were walking into a maelstrom, and the sense of danger was palpable. The wind howled, the rain lashed down, and the clouds seemed to be closing in, as if they were trying to swallow the gate house whole. As the adventurers reached the entrance, the door hung open, revealing a dark and musty interior. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of the wind and rain, and the feeling of being trapped in a nightmare. It was a night that they would never forget, the clouds filling the sky, the wind howling and the abandoned gate house standing alone in the storm. Despite the obvious danger, the adventurers could not help but feel a sense of fascination and intrigue as they approached the decrepit gatehouse. It was a relic of a bygone era, a testament to the power and grandeur of a long-forgotten fortress. But as they stood at the edge of the drawbridge, looking into the dark and foreboding waters below, the adventurers could not shake the feeling that something sinister lurked within the walls of the gatehouse, waiting to be unleashed.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Invisibly, Norm steps into the gate house. He stays just beyond where the rain reaches and lets the water drip from him until he is no longer completely dripping.

He looks around the gatehouse for any clue as to what has happened here and what might inhabit the walls.

Spoiler: investigation
    Show

(1d20+1)[11]
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

24. - Top - End - #234

BlackDragon

Invisibly, Norm steps into the gate house. He stays just beyond where the rain reaches and lets the water drip from him until he is no longer completely dripping.

He looks around the gatehouse for any clue as to what has happened here and what might inhabit the walls.

Spoiler: investigation
    Show

[roll0]
    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    Norm is unable to detect anything untoward, despite the ominous atmosphere.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not seeing anything of note, Norm doesn’t compromise his invisibility by speaking out. He waits to see what the others will do and then tails behind them.
    Show
    Norm Al'Pearson

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Zhanty Alsaz
    Alchemist/Apothecary
    HP: 30/30, AC: 15, Resistance: None
    Spell Slots: 3/3
    Preferring to engage enemies from afar, Zhanty lets one of the others go first.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Val clops forward, keeping an eye out for any hidden threats.
    "Does the trail go cold? They’re just somewhere in this abandoned Keep?" she asks their tracker.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

NecromancerGuy

"Let me see what I can find. If all else falls I try a spell to track them" Tamara suggests then moves to see if she can find which way they went.

Show

(1d20+6)[18] survival
    (1d20+6)[17] if advantage

29. - Top - End - #239

RangerGuy

Rune Trygveson (Tislet)

"Somewhere, yes. Though this...feels...like something more than a simple goblin quarry." He moves forward to peer inside the gatehouse before going in.

Show

Insight: (1d20+5)[14] to determine the level of danger ahead
    Perception: (1d20+5)[20] to hopefully spot the danger ahead

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Rune Trygveson (Tislet)

"Somewhere, yes. Though this...feels...like something more than a simple goblin quarry." He moves forward to peer inside the gatehouse before going in.

Show

Insight: [roll0] to determine the level of danger ahead
    Perception: [roll1] to hopefully spot the danger ahead
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Janwin notices a tile in the floor that when stepped on releases a large portion of the building's stone ceiling in the shape of a cross.