New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Intrigue In The Dales [IC]

The goon on the ground goes down as well, leaving just your target on the rooftop.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis unleashes his fury on the remaining enemy on the roof, his first blow letting out a deafening thunder crack as it hits. He then unleashes a flurry of slashes, like a wild storm, on the assailant.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2023-01-24 at 01:12 PM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Though she was only stabbed once, it was such a well-placed strike that Emera nearly collapses to the ground, her wound darkening from the poison. But she manages to stay standing, and after muttering a quick thanks to her allies who downed the ones near her, she utters another "Destorok" and sends another pair of blasts at their last remaining foe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

4. - Top - End - #34

The assailant on the rooftop grabs a crossbow, hidden under their garb, and fires two shots in rapid succession.

One misses, thunking into the pavement next to their fallen ally by Laugh. The other lands home, silencing the other assailant for good.

They then start to flee, heading away on the rooftops.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis sees the last assassin starting to flee and puts his hand on Laugh's shoulder. He glances over at Emera. "Witch girl! Get ready to blast him! We can't let him escape!" Uttering a few magical words, he and Laugh suddenly appear directly in front of their fleeing attacker.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Using dimension door to place Laugh and Thradis within 5 ft of the one that is running away, directly in front of him. This way, any movement away will provoke an attack of opportunity from both of us. In-game I've only seen Emera use her blast, so could not ask her to use anything like Suggestion without metagame knowledge, but something other than a straight blast may be more effective unless we can easily KO him.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Tiefling rune knight/totem barbarian.
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 20 HP: 104/113
    PP: 16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Conditions: Rage
    Resistances: fire, cold, poison, adv on saves vs poison, everything but psychic
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Second wind 1d10+9 1/1 Action surge 0/1 frost rune 1/1, stone rune 1/1, storm rune 1/1, giant's might 4/4, rages 3/4
    Advantages on: arcana, animal handling, intimidation, insight
    Can't be surprised

As the hand fell on her shoulder, she began to turn with a snarl, eyes wide and berserk, but she held herself back from landing a blow that would have split him skull like a log. Instead, she let him carry her through the teleportation, directly in front of the escaping assailant, and she laughed with delighted bloodthirst.
    "Gyahahaha! Nice trick! No escape, little squirrel!"

With a lunge, she aimed to wrap a hand around the assassin's neck and bear them to the ground. Another, letting go of the glaive, withdrew a handaxe from her belt, and with merry abandon she began to bludgeon him unconcious.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

As in the OOC thread, Grapple and or shove rolls to be contested at 16 and 28 respectively.

Action surge for two attacks, two 22s to hit, for 10 and 12 non-lethal damage.

If he attacks and manages to hit, Laugh will force him to reroll through Runic Shield as a reaction.

And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

7. - Top - End - #37

The foe proves a little squirmier than Laugh had anticipated, managing to avoid her initial grapple. But she latches a hand onto them with a second attempt, then in a burst of adrenaline, batters them down to unconsciousness.

The battle is over. You've got two would-be killers knocked out, and one dead.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Second wind 1d10+9 1/1 Action surge 0/1 frost rune 1/1, stone rune 1/1, storm rune 1/1, giant's might 4/4, rages 3/4
    Can't be surprised

Laugh-of-the-Avalanche raised the handaxe again, but then paused and lowered it with a disappointed sigh. Her prey was knocked out. With a shrug, the tiefling quickly stripped the assassin-to-be of all but their smallclothes, ripping strips off their clothing and binding their hands and ankles. A third strip gagged them; a fourth blindfolded them. Even if the assassin woke again, let them brave the cold injured and trussed like a deer.

"The one below hasn't quite died. Do the same to that one, yes? Or let them bleed! We only need one, after all."

They bundled the assassin's goods up in their cloak. Stuffing the handaxe back in her belt, she retrieved her glaive, slung the assassin and the assorted loot over their shoulder, and dropped down. Looking at the door back in, she grinned; the lizards hadn't come out to fight at the noise. She slammed the butt of the glaive against it, once, twice, thrice.

"You can stop hiding! Gyahaha! I am triumphant; here is one of the monsters that left you quivering!"

She shoved open the door to take her prisoner inside.
    Show

Gonna take off their disguising cloak, strip them, of almost all their clothing and definitely anything else, tie 'em up, and take them inside.
    If no one else does it, she'll do the same to the second captured assassin.

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler: Death Saves
    Show
    (5d20)[12][8][10][9][6](45)

Just checking if the other peep is alive.

Inside, the lizardfolk warriors have taken positions to protect the courier, should anyone hostile come in.

They stay cautious as you bring in your downed foes. Stripping the surviving one to his underwear, you find a plethora of small weapons, an even greater amount of poison vials (or at least, you assume them to be poison vials), a small cache of bolts, and no markings that would indicate where they might be from.

One of the warriors looks to the courier. "Should one of us leave to alert Ingar authorities?"

The courier thinks a moment. "Yes-and have them return with guards to keep an eye out for any other assassins as we leave."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2023-01-30 at 12:19 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

Laugh-of-the-Avalanche looked at the lizards, her expression somewhere between amusement and contempt. They had hid in here, safe, after all, rather than try to strike at the foe and get vengence for their losses.

"The sentries you had outside are dead," she said. "Not very good at their job!"

She dragged the other assassin's corpses inside, relieving them of their tools of the trade too, looking for anything identifying. At the lizard's commands to fetch more soldiers, she grinned and interjected.

"Are you sure you want to? This tells us something, yes?" she added. "Our mystery enemy knew about this meeting - so one of your lizards sells his tongue to the enemy, it would seem likely to me. "
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGirl

Emera's aid turns out to be unnecessary, as the loud tiefling proves able to beat their foe unconscious. Truth be told, Emera felt like she hadn't contributed much that fight, but the fight hadn't really needed her to, anyway. In any event, she didn't mind not displaying too much of her powers.

The fight had taken its toll on her, however. She took a moment to inspect her wound, and it was definitely one that was worse than it looked. She moved inside the hut with the others, one hand held to her still-bleeding wound. "I wouldn't be able to trouble someone for some medical aid, would I?"
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

12. - Top - End - #42

The courier glares a moment at Laugh, but restrains themself from saying anything untoward. "I trust the two I came with with my life, and the lives of all those I care for. Far more likely that someone from here had loose lips."

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis glances over at the witch girl while speaking a soft incantation. "For your assistance in the fight."

Spoiler: Healing Emera
    Show
    Healing Word cast at 3rd level (3d4+5)[10]

"Even if it was one of the lizardfolk, there is no guarantee they were with this particular retinue. I suggest we press the assassin and see if we can find anything there."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

14. - Top - End - #44

The assassin, given a spot of healing from one of the mages, comes to.
    You can see, even beneath the rags, his eyes go wide and dart back and forth, looking for some way to escape. But the bindings are thorough.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGirl

Emera glances to her companions, before deciding to take the lead in the interrogation, or at least say some opening words. "I'm sure you know what we're going to ask, but I'll ask anyway. Who hired you?" She pauses for the briefest of moments, before asking in addition, "Also, who exactly were the targets?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

Laugh-of-the-Avalanche loomed over the tied-up man, and she yanked the rag from his mouth.
    "Answering honestly and fully would be wise," she added cheerfully. "My clan does not like assassins. They are cowardly! Used by cowards, afraid of a decent fight! We have a traditional method of killing captured sneaks such as yourself. It is a very unenjoyable experience for you! The more you talk, the further away is that future, yes?"
    Show

Last edited by Awful; 2023-02-03 at 08:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

"You'll get nothing from me," the assassin states calmly.

Show
    Quick OOC note:

Torture does not work. Bodily harm might get you answers, but there's absolutely no guarantee that they're real answers.

Considering your PC's experience, you'd know that. So, to get actual answers, you'll have to do more than just break a few bones or something.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

Laugh-of-the-Avalanche shrugged easily.
    "Well, alright," she said casually. "I'll kill you then."

She hooked a hand around his ankle and began dragging him back towards the door.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

NecromancerGirl

Emera seems unsurprising by the assassin's response. She turns to him as Laugh begins dragging him away, and says in a soft tone, "It would be in your best interest to cooperate." As she speaks, she weaves magic into her words, hoping they will have an effect.

Show
    Casting Suggestion on him, with the above statement being the suggestion itself. Save DC is 18.

20. - Top - End - #50

Emera weaves her spell, and the assassin's face twists. "I won't-I won't!" he says, but Emera can feel the power settle in on him.

"I'll talk!" he says through gritted teeth. "We were given divine messaging. He wanted us to stop this meeting. But we arrived late-so we were preparing to kill everyone involved."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Let's start simple then. Who is this 'he' you mentioned, and what was this 'divine message.' Truly, if it is as powerful and meaningful of a cause as you seem to believe it is, such a wonderful divine purpose would serve us all."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2023-02-05 at 08:55 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #52

"You are not believers-you are unworthy to know His name!" the assassin spits. He does not elaborate-given the charm placed upon him, it's possible he doesn't actually know.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"I'm curious then, help us become believers. Why do you believe? What does he offer you, personally? What is it you lacked before coming to know of him?"

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

The tiefling paused in dragging the assassin when they got an answer. She let go, letting the man's foot thud onto the ground.

Instead, she settled into a lean against the wall, waiting to see what they learned before she continued taking the man to his death. She poked idly at her stabwound, but it had already scabbed over, the poison having failed to make any headway against her impressive biology.

25. - Top - End - #55

"He is all that I need. He will be waiting when you extinguish my life, and I will have all of the afterlife to help Him against people like you," the assassin replies.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

"Don't worry, you will be meeting him soon! Tell me, where are your little friends hiding?"
    she rumbled, amused but not expecting a decent answer. "I want to fight them. Prove their mettle or die, yes? Perhaps your godling will be impressed if they manage not to scream when I crush them underfoot."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Thradis addresses Laugh, "I appreciate your fervor, but I feel your methods may have been more apt if we had more than one prisoner to question. I'm curious what our other friend might accomplish."

He turns to Emera, "I'm sorry, miss, I did not get your name earlier. I suspect you don't want me to keep calling you 'witch girl.' Hopefully, you might forgive my earlier suspicions, as you seemed out of place at the meeting, but you have so far been helpful. Would you have anything that might help us . . . dig a little deeper? Names, images, maybe faces or rituals he may have been privy to. He seems a bit . . . zealous. Perhaps you might pry something from deeper in his psyche."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2023-02-08 at 08:07 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

28. - Top - End - #58

NecromancerGirl

Emera turns from the assassin to Thradis as she's addressed. "My name is Emera. And your suspicions are understandable. I do tend to stand out, however, so I'm used to it." She glances at the assassin again for a moment. "I can try using different magic, it's true, but I'm not sure how useful that will be. It's quite likely he doesn't know anything else of use." She turns fully to the assassin, and frowns.
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2023-02-09 at 03:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Well, worth a shot. Guess I'll turn him back over to our more boisterous friend. At the very least, it may jostle a few loose bits of information."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Laugh-Of-The-Avalanche
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    9 / 9 d12 HD
    Can't be surprised

Getting no answer to her question to the captured foe, the mighty tiefling simply shrugged. Taking the assassin by the ankle again, she slung the bundle of poisons and weapons over the over shoulder and began dragging him to meet her friend.

"Goodbye, lizards!" she called exuberantly to the people she'd come here to meet. "We will meet again once I've solved your problem! Try not to get stabbed and die while I'm gone!"

She kicked open the door.

"You may wish to come along," she said off-handedly to the other representatives. "I am taking him to meet my good friend, yes? Then I will be heading to the village they mentioned. Since you seem less useless than them, follow, and together we find more trouble."

She took the assassin through the streets, still dragged, with complete nonchalance for any stares, until she arrived at the stables where Rumble-of-the-Mountain was stationed. She undid the latches and threw open the gate.

With a cheerful call, she bodily hurled the man into the stall.

"Rrrrumble! Takal!"

The man had time to look up before a great brown pillar descended on him, crushing him beneath the weight of a mammoth and warshrine. There was a crunch.

With an affectionate laugh, Laugh, reached up as the mammoth's trunk coiled around her and petted the great beast.

"Za!"

Rumble bodily picked her up and placed her in the seat built into the harness, on top of the great beast. If the others had followed, she grinned down at them.

"Meet my good friend - Rumble-of-the-Mountain! A war mammoth might help a bit, don't you think?"