New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith: Assault on the Town of Ash (OoC)

Yeah, Shadow Pokemon get scary precisely for that reason - there's a small-to-moderate chance they will randomly blow up in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Is it possible to use a potion on the Luxio?
    Insofar as is it possible? It's a wild Pokemon, but it's also pretty battered and you guys haven't been attacking it, so sure. Item use takes a Pokemon's action for the round though.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Insofar as is it possible? It's a wild Pokemon, but it's also pretty battered and you guys haven't been attacking it, so sure. Item use takes a Pokemon's action for the round though.
    I guess it's worth the effort and better than not trying.

Will edit IC post slightly then.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Well okay I knew shadow pokemon were scary but I was *not* expecting that... Oh right. It also critically hit at least one of those targets.

... Shadow Storm + the 5 extra levels from raging + the boosted attack stat are still insanely nasty as a combo. But worry not, for I am merciful. Only one pokemon is getting nuked this round.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess it's worth the effort and better than not trying.

Will edit IC post slightly then.
    I should clarify, it takes one of YOUR Pokémon’s actions for item use. I can let it slide this once and use the Luxio’s action instead, but you probably want the Electric type active against the hostile bird Pokémon.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I have a plan that might work here. It's definitely what I would call a bad plan though.

Also, question about metagaming/play-by-post formatting. I was considering withdrawing Hero this turn (because she's low level and has basically done what she can this fight), but now that she's been targeted by a powerful attack it feels odd to withdraw her, especially as I wasn't able to check in last night. I think I'll leave her in this time to avoid the issue, but how should we handle declaring actions that could invalidate opposing actions in the future?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Also, question about metagaming/play-by-post formatting. I was considering withdrawing Hero this turn (because she's low level and has basically done what she can this fight), but now that she's been targeted by a powerful attack it feels odd to withdraw her, especially as I wasn't able to check in last night. I think I'll leave her in this time to avoid the issue, but how should we handle declaring actions that could invalidate opposing actions in the future?
    Normally it's the DM running the opposing side and you don't find out what they're using until the round results are posted. Though in the future, hmm. We did private messaging on the old forum sometimes. We could do spoiler tags for the round actions in PvP situations maybe? What would work best for you lot?
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-02-04 at 02:19 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. There's no problem when the DM is posting. But for PvP . . . Maybe mutual PMs, and then you can post both responses?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. There's no problem when the DM is posting. But for PvP . . . Maybe mutual PMs, and then you can post both responses?
    I don't have any issue with that.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

I should clarify, it takes one of YOUR Pokémon’s actions for item use. I can let it slide this once and use the Luxio’s action instead, but you probably want the Electric type active against the hostile bird Pokémon.
    Um. Yeah, sorry. I thought that was what you meant. I thought since I was using an item on the Luxio, that its turn was being used up, assuming it didn't just continue to leave.

edit: Spoiler tags should work nicely. Should clearly label what parties should/should not be reading though to make cheating easier though!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-02-04 at 04:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    "Gastly Hynosis Murkrow A, Flaaffy Thundershock the Honchkrow, if its down hit Murkrow A with Thundershock instead, Ratman Bite Murkrow A, please go first and make that bird flinch, I can't lose the rest of you to shadowing again damn it!" I could feel my eyes starting to water and despair wash over me like the battle in the Shrine of Light when one attack wiped out the whole team. This battle was like a reminder that shadowing's a very dangerous condition with only one strange cure, I think to myself while subconsciously rubbing the pocket of my backpack that held the Time Flute. Wait a second...the TIME FLUTE.... I could have just tried to use THAT to cure these stupid shadowed krows! Oh god and I think of that NOW?! My temples throb from sudden pain and my free hand goes to my head, pain causing my eyes to squint... Damn it.
    You know, I had also been thinking about that flute.. Any reason it can't be used? Is it a really limited item or something?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Lord Ruby I wasn't clear if by 'strongest Pokémon still standing' you mean 'most HP remaining' or 'highest level' so I went with the option that would let me wrap up the fight. Hope that's okay.

And to be absolutely clear: you can catch wild Shadow Pokémon, the dice just weren't cooperating in this case.

Also I think Flotsam stole your Luxio. (Don't fret, they're a pretty common Pokémon in the area you're in.)

You know, I had also been thinking about that flute.. Any reason it can't be used? Is it a really limited item or something?
    Kind of. They're ancient artifacts, so they aren't very durable and will break after a number of uses.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-02-04 at 07:50 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Wait.. who's pokemon did I steal..? I don't think it used to belong to someone, did it?

Or, I guess that's just a joke.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Or, I guess that's just a joke.
    Yeah, I'm just teasing.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Lord Ruby I wasn't clear if by 'strongest Pokémon still standing' you mean 'most HP remaining' or 'highest level' so I went with the option that would let me wrap up the fight. Hope that's okay.

And to be absolutely clear: you can catch wild Shadow Pokémon, the dice just weren't cooperating in this case.

Also I think Flotsam stole your Luxio. (Don't fret, they're a pretty common Pokémon in the area you're in.)
    I meant highest level, so I'll try to be clearer in the future. Though I certainly don't mind you taking the interpretation that will end the fight the soonest.

Like I said, I'm easy to please! Shame about the bad luck with the Ultra ball though. I'm sure something else will come along soon.

Also, I think I'm going to give the levels to Princess and Hero, for their outstanding performances, even if Leo did manage to get the finishing blow. EDIT: New EVs to HP for both of them, if that works.

Wait.. who's pokemon did I steal..? I don't think it used to belong to someone, did it?
    No, I had Shinx/Luxio at the top of my original list for desired encounters. But I think it makes for the better story if you get the little one to tag along with you here.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-02-04 at 11:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

To be fair I DID warn everyone LOL

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

... If Y'all take the shadowed birds to the pokemon center with you, I suggest wrapping them in newspapers to keep them from acting out on their rage when they wake up. Like how you transport chickens.

Wrapped barely contained fury

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

That's one of the best pictures I've seen in a while.

EDIT: We probably don't have newspapers, but maybe a tweed jacket will do for one.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-02-05 at 10:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also raining. Very heavily. So newspapers probably won't work until you get indoors anyway.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously, we need trash bags and tape.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

The image I think of for Less is Gaspar from Chrono Trigger...

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

The image I think of for Less is Gaspar from Chrono Trigger...
    Ooh, that's good too.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

That's one of the best pictures I've seen in a while.
    Hear, hear!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

I'll have Gypsy pass up Twister.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorman, don't forget you have level-ups to allocate!

I'll have Gypsy pass up Twister.
    Noted. :)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Kareeah_Indaga, would you mind elaborating on what the Unown tiles are, if they're common enough for our characters to have come across them before?

Also, would you like for us to manage our own inventories? While the calculations for stats appear to be beyond me, we can probably reduce your workload by managing our own inventories.

As for division of loot, I think Less would like one of the heart scales and one of the Pokeballs. He'll take the poison gem if no one else wants it, and any of the sell-able items that no one else claims.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Also, would you like for us to manage our own inventories? While the calculations for stats appear to be beyond me, we can probably reduce your workload by managing our own inventories.
    Ah yes, I could manage Flotsam's inventory as well. Should be a breeze, considering she doesn't have a bag, nor any pockets...

Where does she keep the Pokéballs? No clue.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Kareeah_Indaga, would you mind elaborating on what the Unown tiles are, if they're common enough for our characters to have come across them before?
    They're square ceramic tiles small enough to fit in your hand (~1 1/4 inch or 3 cm for those of you using metric) with a single Unown glyph on one side. They are common artifacts in Helnith, found pretty much anywhere you can dig. The general populace doesn't know the intended use for them, but it's not uncommon for people to collect them as you would coins and swap them for the glyphs they want.

The big difficulty there is I'm not 100% sure how to make specific tabs within the sheet editable without making an entirely new sheet.

As for division of loot, I think Less would like one of the heart scales and one of the Pokéballs. He'll take the poison gem if no one else wants it, and any of the sell-able items that no one else claims.
    Which ball?

And this reminds me: the Glitter Ball boosts the Contest stats of the Pokémon caught with it, although since this is a 'free' boost it doesn't affect their combat stats. You can still use it to evolve Pokémon that need that (EX: Feebas) though. It has the same catch rate as a normal Pokéball.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-02-06 at 08:23 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

They're square ceramic tiles small enough to fit in your hand (~1 1/4 inch or 3 cm for those of you using metric) with a single Unown glyph on one side. They are common artifacts in Helnith, found pretty much anywhere you can dig. The general populace doesn't know the intended use for them, but it's not uncommon for people to collect them as you would coins and swap them for the glyphs they want.
    Neat! That sounds like the type of thing Less would take, as long as no one else makes a priority claim.

The big difficulty there is I'm not 100% sure how to make specific tabs within the sheet editable without making an entirely new sheet.
    Ah, gotcha. i suppose we could keep our own sheets, but that sounds less convenient than having them all in one place.

Which ball?

And this reminds me: the Glitter Ball boosts the Contest stats of the Pokémon caught with it, although since this is a 'free' boost it doesn't affect their combat stats. You can still use it to evolve Pokémon that need that (EX: Feebas) though. It has the same catch rate as a normal Pokéball.
    Whichever one is claimed last, with a preference toward the net ball if others are also ambivalent.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Something else to note for new players: anything not explicitly claimed from the loot will vanish into the ether, so if you're not sure you want something and no one else wants it, grab it. You can always get rid of it later.

Ah, gotcha. i suppose we could keep our own sheets, but that sounds less convenient than having them all in one place.
    That was my thought too, but if anyone knows how to tweak the tab permissions in Google Docs, by all means speak up.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

How far is it from where we are back to the Pokemon center?