New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith: Assault on the Town of Ash (RPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    The nurse gave him a clean bill of health, yes.” Mina scritched the bird in question, who smooshed his tiny body up against her hand in response. “I’m going to try and find a Silk Scarf for him so he can have Graceful Dance when he evolves.
    ((Still in the center))

Mark had no idea what that ability would do... he would have to look it up on his pokedex later. That said, he tells her, "I'll be sure to keep my eye out for one." And then Tattersail teleported him (and everyone else) to the line.

Spoiler: Mark
    Show

<We aren’t staying here for very long, are we?> Tattersail asked privately.

Mina thought back. “Closer to three. It couldn’t have been four.” Mina herself hadn’t been here that long, and while she was pretty sure Dove and Fate were still running around the northeastern part of the region, most of the group from that time had vanished, died, or otherwise dropped out, and Mark was relatively new…and still the second-longest lasting member of the group from her perspective.

Wow that was depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Three weeks and some change. That sparked a memory. "Did you come through Siltis Villiage?" Less asked the two young trainers.
    ((In Line))

Spoiler: Talking to Tattersail
    Show
    That wasn't a good sign. <We were planning to spend a few hours here at least. Why are all of you so riled up?>

The glance he was giving to his psychic type was growing ever more concerned, so he would be a bit distracted when he said, "Yeah. About three weeks... and is that in the north? I arrived on the north coast, though I arrived... pretty much alone." What with everything that had happened, even things that occurred less than a month ago were a bit blurry. It's one of the reasons why he keeps that art journal.

Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio, Mina):

Security is reasonably brisk (and Mina is able to note, less miserable than they were the day previous) and don’t find anything suspicious on the group, so they are allowed to pass through with little fanfare.

I was going to run over to the Department Store and see if they have any more useful Berries. I can sign us all up for the chairs thing afterwards if you guys want. Did you need me for anything else before that?
    ((Inside Skybreak, around 6am))

By this time looking a bit less haggard, though still clearly not at 100%, Mark shook his head at Mina's question, responding, "I'll be good, thank you. See you soon, Mina!" And with that, he waited for Less to lead the way to the Ranger's station... or wherever the grunts were being held again.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Skybreak (in line - Mark, Less, Akio, Mina):

"Did you come through Siltis Villiage?"
    Puzzled, Mina replied, “I did, yes.” Mina wondered if she should be suspicious, but then, there were a finite number of coastal towns she could have come through that weren’t Bandra controlled.

Show

<Something doesn’t want us here. I can’t tell what.>

----------------

Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio, Mina):

Okay, then I’ll take off and meet you lot at the park around 10 AM. Later guys!” Mina waved goodbye and took off for the Department Store. If she was quick she might even be able to squeeze in some more research at the library, now that she had a name to cross-reference…
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    "Yeah. About three weeks... and is that in the north? I arrived on the north coast, though I arrived... pretty much alone."

"It's in the northeast corner of the region. Aitel Island is the only place further north than Siltis."
    Less said. The young man seemed reluctant to talk about it, and Less was reluctant to push. If he had been in the group that Aquai had organized it would have been obvious.

:

I did, yes.
    "A group of young trainers came through about a month ago, as I recall." Less himself hadn't talked to any of the young trainers at that time. He and Aquai had fought over the idea, and with the news of his daughter's disappearance so fresh he hadn't been in a state fit to interact with anyone. If Mark hadn't been part of that group, and Pinklady hadn't come through at the time, then Less thought it was unlikely that Mina was a part of it either.

"Were you part of that group?"

----------------

Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio, Mina)

Less shot a quick text message to Viola, who had proven to already be awake this morning, seeking clarification about whether the Bandra goons were at the Police Station or the Ranger Station, before heading to the right area.

"I was hoping," Less said to the young man walking with him, "to talk to each of the two individually, and perhaps play them off of each other. There's some information about a specific Bandra officer I'm hoping to find, but if they don't have it then I'm hoping that they might know the location of a nearby base where that information might be kept." After a moment, Less added, "or anything else useful, I suppose."

Spoiler: OOC Question
    Show

Is Skybreak the nearest (non-bandra controlled) city to Siltis that has a human hospital?

Also, do you mind if I give Less some knowledge of what brought the group together? I figure that Siltis is a small enough place that everything gets around quickly, and Less would have likely opposed the idea of sending out letters to young trainers to begin with.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Flotsam felt really bad about hurting that Luxio's feelings. Maybe she should have just.. said nothing? But then again, it seemed like it would have been difficult to take care of her too. She probably would have had to put her in a pokeball too? Either way Flotasm still felt a bit sad as she wandered back north, wondering if she should have simply done things differently. She was just a dumb, silly kid living an incredibly simple life..

Then suddenly, a shadow, and a screech! Two fearows were divebombing down at her!

Flotsam gasped and tried to leap to the side, out of the way, and she rolled further along the ground trying to dodge the attacks.

"Leave me alone! I am not food!" she says.

She reaches for her pokeballs.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

<Something doesn’t want us here. I can’t tell what.>
    ((In line))

... Oh that wasn't good. Mark detached from the conversation between the other trainers as he gave his psychic type his undivided attention.

Spoiler: Telepathy
    Show
    <Can you tell if it's just a pokemon thing, or if it's a general 'no one should be here' kinda thing?>

[COLOR="#0000CD"]Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio, Mina)

Less shot a quick text message to Viola, who had proven to already be awake this morning, seeking clarification about whether the Bandra goons were at the Police Station or the Ranger Station, before heading to the right area.

"I was hoping," Less said to the young man walking with him, "to talk to each of the two individually, and perhaps play them off of each other. There's some information about a specific Bandra officer I'm hoping to find, but if they don't have it then I'm hoping that they might know the location of a nearby base where that information might be kept." After a moment, Less added, "or anything else useful, I suppose."
    ((In Skybreak, 6 am))

Mark nodded along with what Less was saying. "Well, I don't have anything that I wanted to ask some random grunts off the top of my head, but I'll still listen in and give you the back-up that I can. Anything I should know about what you wanted to know before we get into it?" It would be easier to interrogate the goons if he knew what they were looking for.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Halfling in the Playground

I guess I can head over to trainer hill to do... training...stuff.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Flotsam:

((Waiting on your Pokémon selection.))

----------------

Skybreak (in line):

"Were you part of that group?"
    Getting suspicious now, Mina nodded.

Show
    <Can you tell if it's just a pokemon thing, or if it's a general 'no one should be here' kinda thing?>
    Show

<None of you humans have noticed,> she pointed out. <Hmm?>

From his perch on his trainer, Mina’s Natu had perked up. He didn’t say anything out loud, but he gave Tattersail the intense stare his species was known for, and there was bit of a pause before Tattersail spoke again.

<Oh. The bird says it was like this yesterday, and the Pokémon already here have been noticing it too.>

----------------

Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio)

Viola responds back that your captured goons are at the police station. It being relatively early most of the lineup outside hasn't made it into the city yet, nor have the people who stayed overnight trickled out in any great numbers, so the streets of Skybreak are fairly empty except of police patrols - these being accompanied by trainers without uniforms, and a more eclectic collection of Pokémon than would usually be associated with the police. The Pokémon all seem on edge, but no one actually stops you, and you make it to the police station in short order.

----------------

Matt:

You head over to Trainer Hill, arriving around noon.

Spoiler: Challenge Reminder
    Show

Normal – one on one battle with three Pokémon each.
    Roulette – same as Normal battle, except the battlefield will be affected by random weather, Trick Room, or other environmental effects.
    Double – battle with a partner.

• Participants are allowed three Pokémon, which must be selected at the beginning of the challenge.
    • All Pokémon selected must be within five levels of each other.
    • Held items are fine, but the trainer can’t use any items on the Pokémon during the challenge (no Potions etc.)

Pokémon are not automatically healed after each fight. Participants can choose to have their Pokémon healed between matches, but this will incur a 1-round penalty.

BP rewards for each battle type are as follows:

Normal:
    Lose | Win
    Match 1: 0 | 0
    Match 2: 0 | 0
    Match 3: 0 | 1
    Match 4: 1 | 2

Roulette or Double:
    Lose | Win
    Match 1: 0 | 0
    Match 2: 0 | 1
    Match 3: 1 | 2
    Match 4: 2 | 3

Trainer Hill will also award bonus points for fast completion:
    +3 points for winning all four matches in 5 rounds or less
    +2 points for 5-8 rounds
    +1 for 8-10 rounds.

Additionally, management will occasionally award additional points for trainers who pull off something impressive, at their discretion.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

<None of you humans have noticed,> she pointed out. <Hmm?>

From his perch on his trainer, Mina’s Natu had perked up. He didn’t say anything out loud, but he gave Tattersail the intense stare his species was known for, and there was bit of a pause before Tattersail spoke again.

<Oh. The bird says it was like this yesterday, and the Pokémon already here have been noticing it too.>
    ((In line))

Show
    <Well, humans don't normally have magic mind powers or connection to elemental forces and stuff, so... just because we aren't feeling anything doesn't mean there isn't something to feel. We're kinda dumb about these things.> He thought about the conversation between Tattersail and natu for a second, then asked, <Actually. Question. It is possible for us to share more that just conversational thoughts? For example, when you're chatting with other pokemon, could I listen to both sides? And could I feel what you guys are feeling?>

Skybreak (6 AM - Mark, Less, Akio)

Viola responds back that your captured goons are at the police station. It being relatively early most of the lineup outside hasn't made it into the city yet, nor have the people who stayed overnight trickled out in any great numbers, so the streets of Skybreak are fairly empty except of police patrols - these being accompanied by trainers without uniforms, and a more eclectic collection of Pokémon than would usually be associated with the police. The Pokémon all seem on edge, but no one actually stops you, and you make it to the police station in short order.
    ((Skybreak, 6am))

This was the first time Mark had been in a police station, so he looked around curiously at everything and everyone. Were there officer Jennys here too? He'd seen pretty diverse groups of people out on the streets, so maybe the Jenny police family hadn't extended all the way out here...

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Yes I will make jokes about the anime as if they are canon. You cannot stop me. I'll get Mark a trusty frying pan that can turn into a handy drying pan, too!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

In Line

Getting suspicious now, Mina nodded.
    "Ah." Less had almost convinced himself that the young woman couldn't have been part of Aquai's group. Her companions weren't. Less felt his stomach turn, though he tried to fight the nausea down. Just because Mina wasn't with the others, that didn't mean they were dead. It didn't have to. A voice echoed in the back of his head. You should have warned them. You should have stopped Aquai. You should have scared them away.

Less had to know. "I don't mean to pry," Less started. It wasn't a question that he wanted to ask. He had to know. "But I remember that when your group came through Siltis there were more of you. Are they . . ." Less knew he was fumbling the words. "safe, somewhere else? I had meant to talk to your group when you arrived." Less finished, his voice trailing off. He had meant to talk to them. But he had just gotten the new that Emilia had disappeared. He hadn't left his house. He tramped down the familiar rising fear that he was too late to help his daughter, too.

Useless.

----------------

In Skybreak

Mark nodded along with what Less was saying. "Well, I don't have anything that I wanted to ask some random grunts off the top of my head, but I'll still listen in and give you the back-up that I can. Anything I should know about what you wanted to know before we get into it?" It would be easier to interrogate the goons if he knew what they were looking for.
    While walking to the police station, Less's mind was racing. Was it time to trust the young man fully? If he was going to find Emilia then Less would need to find help. Anything that could force her into hiding was more than he could handle on his own. Less knew that logically. At the same time, it was his responsibility to find her. To save his daughter if he could. It felt wrong to confess his problems, to ask for help. He had already failed so many young trainers by failing to properly prepare them for the horrors of the region. To say his mood was black would be an understatement. No. This was his problem. He needed to solve this alone, after all. He wouldn't -- before Less could finish the thought, Buck headbutted him in the side with enough force to send Less stumbling half a step.

The large canine Pokemon was looking at him. Buck's big brown eyes conveyed more than words could. He wasn't alone. Less took a moment to nod to the Arcanine before answering Mark's question. Emilia's safety was more important than his pride, or his fears. "My daughter, Emilia, is missing. The last news I heard from her was that she was in the south, being chased by a Bandra Officer named Ray. I need to know anything that might help me find her." Less paused. "These two might specfically be involved in forcibly shadowing Pokemon." There. That was as much detail as Less could manage at the moment. Less was internally forced to admit that it was far more likely that these two would have more knowledge about the second problem than the first, though this was exactly the kind of situation that Emilia would have looked to intervene in.

Less was immediately was thankful that any more questions would be made inconvenient by their arrival at the police station. Less entered without waiting, and approached the front desk. "Hello. I was one of a pair of trainers who captured some Bandra grunts the other day. My companion and I were hoping to speak with them."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

In Skybreak

"My daughter, Emilia, is missing. The last news I heard from her was that she was in the south, being chased by a Bandra Officer named Ray. I need to know anything that might help me find her." Less paused. "These two might specfically be involved in forcibly shadowing Pokemon."

Less was immediately was thankful that any more questions would be made inconvenient by their arrival at the police station. Less entered without waiting, and approached the front desk. "Hello. I was one of a pair of trainers who captured some Bandra grunts the other day. My companion and I were hoping to speak with them."
    ((Skybreak, Mark and Less, a bit after 6am))

Oh. Another person looking for a loved one in this country. That was... well, Mark rubbed at his face a bit and he sighed. Yeah, he was going to help this older man as much as he could. He'd failed to find Zelg in time, a fact that was going to hang over his head for a long, long time, so if he could somehow help Less find his daughter, especially if he could bring her back alive, then Mark was going to do that without any question.

Before he could say this, though, they'd arrived and Less was talking to the receptionist, so the young trainer held back and just let the older man talk.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Reaching for her pokéballs, Flotsam brings out Rascal, Gypsy, and Hilda.

(I think three is fair).

"We - er, I'm under attack! Look out!"

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akio decides to go to the Library and learn more about history and local politics. It is clear there is much he does not understand.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Skybreak (in line):

Show
    <Actually. Question. It is possible for us to share more that just conversational thoughts? For example, when you're chatting with other pokemon, could I listen to both sides? And could I feel what you guys are feeling?>
    Show

<I can pass it on to you, yes.> You can clearly feel the pity she’s projecting for your pitifully lacking human senses. Also a stab of jealously – which you can tell is being passed on from Natu – that his human can’t hear him yet.

Less had to know. "I don't mean to pry," Less started. It wasn't a question that he wanted to ask. He had to know. "But I remember that when your group came through Siltis there were more of you. Are they . . ." Less knew he was fumbling the words. "safe, somewhere else? I had meant to talk to your group when you arrived."
    Mina was feeling really cagey now. “I don’t know.” That wasn’t completely true; she was reasonably sure at this point that Misty was dead. But Draloed? Vanished some time around the Ternai attack. Max? Disappeared before they even fought Altros. Omega and that girl whose name she’d never gotten had made it to the Battle Festival, but must have taken off because they were both gone by the time Bandra attacked. Stacey had stuck around for longer than most, but Mina hadn’t heard back from her in some time either.

And that wasn’t even counting Lyra (passed out from heatstroke, never saw her again), Zelgius (dead), Christian (she was at least pretty sure he was still alive), Brona, Zack…quite a few people who had joined after the group had left Siltis.

She could only really comfort herself that most of them might have just come to their senses about the whole, ‘fight a war to save the region’ thing and either went home or found some place to hole up until it was over.

----------------

Police Station:

Mark doesn’t see many Jennies in the flesh, but near the entrance is a memorial wall and most of the photos there are of Jennies, with only a small proportion of the photos being non-Jennies.

Right next to them is a ‘Most Wanted’ poster (with a whopping 400,000 PD bounty!) for Bandra Officer Darrin, and the ‘wanted for’ section goes on for some length but includes the murder of Elite Four Tethys (and theft of all of his Pokémon) as well as the murder of multiple police departments.

Show

What makes you think they’re not? Though fair warning, that’s only true up through Diamond and Pearl, and in more of a broad strokes fashion, since it’s been ages since I watched the anime.

"Hello. I was one of a pair of trainers who captured some Bandra grunts the other day. My companion and I were hoping to speak with them."
    The receptionist nods. “Ah, yes. The Ranger Union said to expect you. Sign in here please.”

A number of other forms follow, as well as a few short lectures on what you are and are not allowed to do and what to expect. You are warned you will be allowed no more than thirty minutes with each prisoner. You are also required to submit to a pat-down and leave your Pokémon and Pokéballs at the front desk while you are speaking with the prisoners.

Show

You do have the option of backing out if you don’t want to do those things.

----------------

Flotsam:

Your Pokémon come out ready to fight – and wait, and wait, and wait for some kind of instruction to act upon.

The Fearow have no such restraint, and just redirect their attacks to the new, more threatening targets.

Fearow A uses Leer!
    Defense of all allied Pokémon falls!

Fearow B uses Fury Attack!
    Rascal is hit for 15 damage!
    Rascal is hit for 15 damage!
    Hit 2 times!

Rascal: 46/76 (Defense down 1 level)
    Gypsy: 59/59 (Defense down 1 level)
    Hilda: 52/52 (Defense down 1 level)

Fearow A: 88/88
    Fearow B: 88/88

----------------

Akio:

The library is sparsely populated at this hour – mostly by college students judging by the notebooks, university-branded clothes, and copious number of coffee cups they have nearby. Apparently there had been a power outage the day before, because a pair of students with larger-than-average stacks of books nearby are griping about it in library-appropriate voices as you pass.

Show

What do you want to look up first?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

In line

I don’t know.
    Less tried to convince himself that the phrase was good news. But by Mina's stiffness, he was afraid it meant that she found the memories too painful to share. That probably meant that the young trainers had been killed or captured. "I'm sorry." Less said. "I told Aquai that asking your group here was a mistake, that he was going to get young trainers killed . . . I should have convinced him. I should have talked with you and your friends, convinced you to leave before anything had happened." Less managed to get through the sentence without his voice breaking, but only just. There was more he needed to say, but he couldn't bring his mouth to open again, he couldn't manage to offer more apology than that, not without disgracing himself in front of people he had only just met.

Perhaps that was what he deserved.
    ----------------
    At the Police Station

The receptionist nods. “Ah, yes. The Ranger Union said to expect you. Sign in here please.”

A number of other forms follow, as well as a few short lectures on what you are and are not allowed to do and what to expect. You are warned you will be allowed no more than thirty minutes with each prisoner. You are also required to submit to a pat-down and leave your Pokémon and Pokéballs at the front desk while you are speaking with the prisoners.
    Less had hoped to have Buck with him. The large-fire type's presence would have helped loosen lips. Still, if thirty minutes was all he could get, Less would take it. He submitted to the pat down, and left Buck to stand guard by the front desk while he went back, hoping to speak to the grunt first.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Flotsam points and yells, "Hilda, clamp that one!"

Pointing at the other, she says, "Gypsy, bubble beam! And Rascal, Supersonic!"

If possible, she'll bring out her last two pokemon.

"It's a fight, King! Raindance! Orion, watergun that one!" She indicates the first one she wanted Hilda to clamp.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

<I can pass it on to you, yes.> You can clearly feel the pity she’s projecting for your pitifully lacking human senses. Also a stab of jealously – which you can tell is being passed on from Natu – that his human can’t hear him yet.
    ((Still in line))

Well that reply gets a massive eye roll, but he still doesn't say anything yet.

Show
    <Oh har-dee-har, dumb and blind I might be, and you could certainly have picked a better trainer, but we're still bonded because you chose it, so you're stuck with me.> He says, the mental voice joking and good natured, if tinted with a bit of annoyance... though Tattersail would easily detect that annoyance was more from his general exhaustion and the dull pain in his side, rather than any actual anger at her. <But anyway, let me feel this... presence that wants us gone.> She might be wanting to protect him from the experience, but Mark was determined to feel just what was making every pokemon around so skittish, see if he could feel a direction or intent behind it.

Out loud, Mark suddenly jumped into the conversation that he'd stopped listening to for a while now and he asked, "Hey Less, sorry to interrupt... but you're local, and even from around these parts. Do you know if there's something in Skybreak that unsettles pokemon? Some device or artifact that the city was built around...?" Shouldn't hurt to ask.

Police Station:

Right next to them is a ‘Most Wanted’ poster (with a whopping 400,000 PD bounty!) for Bandra Officer Darrin, and the ‘wanted for’ section goes on for some length but includes the murder of Elite Four Tethys (and theft of all of his Pokémon) as well as the murder of multiple police departments.

((Tidepath prison, morning))

... Sweet Arceus that was a huge bounty... which was proportional to the danger that this officer represented. Well that, and all the dead Jennies he was responsible for. Yeah, that was a man to avoid at all costs.

Mark left all of his items with Tattersail, though he took his arm back out and finally reconnected it to his body with a pained wince and a low groan. He would be sure to tell the officer that walked him through the procedure for this interrogation that he was psychically connected to the psychic type. He also mentioned that she was able to skim thoughts from people, just in case that would violate the law or something, though he was pretty sure she couldn't do it through him. If he's still let through, then he would walk beside Less into the room. "So... dibs on bad cop? Or should we both be bad cops?" He mumbled, the pain of connecting his arm awakening his frustration with Bandra and everything that they had taken from him.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

In Line

Less looked up, he hadn't been expecting an interruption, before he shook his head no. Buck, on the other hand, looked perturbed, and had barely touched his meal.

--------------

Police Station

"Hmm?" Mark's comment took Less by surprise again. Still, "I see no reason to be particularly gentle with them, though I am willing to lie about possible rewards if that might motivate them." Less said. No reason to stop the young man from helping however he wanted. Less hadn't done any interrogations for anything more serious than teenage drama in a long time. The young man might well know better than Less how to get these two to talk.

18. - Top - End - #348

*walking into Trainer Hill to the desk where battle sign ups are*
    "Ah hello, I don't suppose I could put some work in? Battling that is. Training. Solo, just me, I don't want to be dragging anyone else down please and thank you."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Skybreak (in line):

"I'm sorry." Less said. "I told Aquai that asking your group here was a mistake, that he was going to get young trainers killed . . . I should have convinced him. I should have talked with you and your friends, convinced you to leave before anything had happened."
    It wouldn’t have made a difference.

Altros had first attacked them en route to Siltis, before Less would have had a chance to talk to them in person. And if a Bandra officer swooping out of the sky to kill them all hadn’t changed their minds, Mina doubted a well-meaning older gentleman politely telling them to leave would have done it either.

But aside from that, Misty, at bare minimum, probably would have taken the warning-off as encouragement and possibly gotten herself killed that much sooner.

Mina herself had privately figured after that first attack that if Bandra was willing to kill them just for showing up – no attempt at negotiation or trying to convince them to leave themselves –

- then they probably wouldn’t be willing to let them leave, period, and there was no sense in trying.

That alone had seemed like a good enough reason to fight them, although Mina hadn’t been in a very good position to do anything about it a month ago. She was in a better one now.

Show

You immediately get a feeling – like you’ve gone into someone’s house without permission and you’re not sure when they’ll be back. Or like a storm front is moving in. Over all it’s not hostile as such, just tense and stressful; a persistent feeling that you’re doing something you shouldn’t be and the consequences were going to come later, but they were going to be bad.

----------------

Police Station:

Mark is warned that anything his Gardevoir reads out of the suspects’ minds is not permissible in court without previous written permission from the suspects themselves (and ideally, their lawyer(s), although with the war in Helnith most of those have taken off). Furthermore, any tampering with of their minds will be considered destruction of evidence and prosecuted accordingly.

((Questioning the Grunt: ))

You’re both lead into a room that is divided into two halves, which are separated by a desk and a glass wall. There is a small opening over the desk itself – just tall enough to allow fingers through and wide enough for papers to exchange hands. You are also able to pick out a number of cameras in the ceiling, and a police officer on each side of the wall. Beyond that there are a couple of chairs on your side of the room.

On the other side, the Grunt is handcuffed to the desk. She looks sullen.

----------------

Flotsam:

Fearow A uses Leer!
    Defense of all allied Pokémon falls!

Fearow B uses Aerial Ace!
    Rascal is hit for 63 damage!
    Rascal faints!

Orion uses Water Gun!
    Fearow A is hit for 16 damage!

King uses Rain Dance!

A localized rainstorm begins to soak the area. As an added bonus, it’s washing most of the mud off!

Gypsy uses Bubblebeam!
    Fearow B is hit for 33 damage!
    Fearow B’s Speed falls!

Hilda uses Clamp!
    Fearow A is hit for 12 damage!

Hilda latches on to the Fearow’s leg, holding on with surprising courage considering she’s usually hiding behind your ankles around strangers.

Fearow A was clamped by Hilda!
    Fearow A takes 5 damage!

(Rain Dance in effect, 4 rounds remaining.)

Rascal: 0/76
    Gypsy: 59/59 (Defense down 2 levels)
    Hilda: 52/52 (Defense down 2 levels)
    Orion: 57/57(Defense down 1 level)
    King: 67/67 (Defense down 1 level)

Fearow A: 55/88
    Fearow B: 55/88 (Speed down 1 level)

----------------

Akio:

After skimming a few books, you feel slightly more informed:

Helnith’s primary governing body is the Council of Elders. It has been in existence since at least the last war between Salerdia and Aidrelas, some 200 years ago. There is an Elder for each town, and each Elder usually holds the position for life or until they step down. Their official attire is a set of blue robes and a blue cloak. Each Elder speaks for their settlement in matters of law and justice, and their duties include arbitrating disputes within their towns (disputes between towns are handled by the entire Council if the Elders of those towns can’t work something out on their own). They can issue pardons for crimes committed within their territories. They are usually Pokémon trainers as some disputes within the Council are determined by Pokémon battle (and have been since ancient times), but it isn’t unusual for them to have a proxy battle for them instead, as battling isn’t their primary job. The Elder of Skybreak City is named Solan.

The information on Bandra is recent enough that most of it is in periodicals rather than history books. Bandra’s first appearance was about seven years ago, after a mysterious figure who eventually became known as Triple B (“Big Boss Bandra”) declared they would take complete control of the region. In the years that followed, Triple B attracted a number of powerful lieutenants and ousted, turned, and in some cases executed various Elders, Gym Leaders and other local authority figures, including at least two of the region's Elite Four (a third, Elite Four Emilia, has vanished, and the sole remaining Elite Four member Dream narrowly escaped execution a few weeks ago with the help of one of the "Heroes of Helnith"). The town of Greshil was completely depopulated, and (as far as you can tell from the newspapers) remains a ghost town to this day as a result. Bandra is also widely suspected to be responsible for the disappearance of the local Legendary Pokémon Salerdia (although a very recent newspaper on file reports that Salerdia has been spotted within the last month) and the subsequent Pokémon population plunge that followed.

There is also a local group called the “Starlight Squad” who opposes Bandra, but recently – within the last few weeks – their leader (a man named Elren, who was also the Elder of Stardust City) died after Triple B attacked Stardust City, and the Squad was split among his surviving lieutenants.

----------------

Matt:

“I can set you up for a solo challenge, did you want Normal or Roulette? And what Pokémon will you be using?”

Show

I’m assuming Normal but I’m double-checking anyway.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2023-03-31 at 08:11 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

In Line

It wouldn’t have made a difference.
    Of course it could have. Less didn't say the thought aloud, but he knew that Mina was wrong. If he had been more persuasive, argued more logically, he could have stopped Aquai from having his son send out those letters in the first place. He had known that it was a terrible idea to recruit rookie trainers to fight a war. Or he could have shown the trainers how dangerous it was. Less would have thought of something had he only tried to talk to them then. And now . . . well, whatever had happened had happened. He wasn't going to push Mina to talk about it. Her curtness suggested that the memories were painful, and Less had no desire to dredge them up any further than he had.

Less shook his head without realizing it, and the let the conversation lapse into silence while the circular logic of his guilty conscious wracked his brain. Buck, unfortunately, was too preoccupied to notice his oldest friend's distress. The large Pokemon was staring off into the distance, before muttering something in Pokespeak.

----------------
    Questioning the Grunt

Less moved over to the chain, making a subtle point to lean on his cane while he walked like he needed the device to move securely. It would be best to start with the easy questions, Less thought, as he settled in. He took his time, adjusting his seat while staring at the sullen goon. He had found that silence was a powerful weapon when trying to get someone to confess. That said, he was usually trying to get teenagers to confess about cutting class, not getting hardened criminals to spill their secrets.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Less is going to try staring at her for a few minutes, to see if he can get her off balance and willing to spit something out. That said, if Mark wants to ask the first question, Less certainly isn't going to stop him.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

((In line))

Show
    <Wow. That's... pretty disturbing, yeah.> He was getting the same feeling as that one time he'd opened up the beer cooler that Zelg had brought on one of their camping trips. <Yup. I hate that. And none of us know where it's coming from to check it out? Great. Let's not spend any more time here than we have to, then.>

Into the lull of the conversation, Mark said, "Yup. Something spooky is going on here that the pokemon are all feeling. None of us are welcome here, the city might be haunted. And if this isn't a normal, every-day feature, then I think we should just get our things done today and go."

((Police station))

Mark sat down beside Less, but unlike the older man he didn't just sit and stare at the prisoner. With his bloodshot eyes, a twitch on his cheek, and pain radiating from his arm, he scowled at the bandra goon and tapped his mechanical fingers against the tabletop. Clinkclinkclinkclink, "So. I've been causing trouble for you people for a bit now. And this is a pretty distinctive identifier." His voice stayed low and neutral as he talked. Clinkclinkclinkclink, "Recognize me at all? I'm the kid who, with a ranger and some friends, ripped through your forces at the Shrine of Light, rescued the pokemon you people were murdering in it, and took the taskmaster there prisoner... the day after you fortified the area, because we captured a group of you grunts in your camp." Clinkclinkclinkclink, "All so I could get a pokemon you stole from me back."

Clinkclin-, he stopped tapping his fingers on the table, and instead folded his hands in front of himself so he could lean forward, attempting to make direct eye contact with the grunt. "I also knocked your helicopter out of the air. Knocked out the pilots flying it and melted its propellers to slag, because you people attacked my friend. After all this, I'm not exactly feeling patient or generous with Bandra, and I'm willing to do, oh, quite a lot to get what I need from you." He broke eye contact with the prisoner to glance at one of the guards and nod to them, before a little bit of the rage he worked so hard to contain filtered into his voice and his eyes shifted back to the grunt. "So. I suggest you tell my friend here whatever he wants to know, or as much as an expendable like you knows, anyway. We'll just end up figuring it out regardless, and it will work out better for everyone in the end if you choose to be... agreeable."

22. - Top - End - #352

"Normal, with Gastly, Wythir, and Trappinch." Though I can't help but wonder at Trappinch'es lack of moves if I shouldn't try and find a tutor first... Is it normal for them to only have 4 at level 25?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady (morning):

As you are also not one of the people making their way to Skybreak, you are able to sleep in until the nice, sane hour of 7 AM.
    Pinklady slowly stirs at 7, then finally rises out of her bed a few minutes later. She pats the bed.

Still weird. she thinks.

She flops back into the bed and doesn't rise again for several minutes. The exhilarations of the past two days were catching up to her, and she takes the time to process it all.

Behind her excitement of meeting all those new people - Mark, Mina, Matt, Less - was a nervousness she had concealed. She wasn't all that used to people, when it came down to it. At least they all seemed receptive to her!

Yes, things were looking pretty good. She finally rolls out of bed and dresses herself. She fumbles a moment with tying her scarf. Her thoughts were still elsewhere - now she was occupied with thinking about how different Helnith was from her home. If it had been similar, she would have been happy to -

A slight discomfort of hunger, though far from a pang, interrupts her train of thought. She sets out to acquire whatever food the center provides. Yes, this was another difference - she couldn't just feed herself on nature's offerings here. Or at least, not to her knowledge.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Skybreak (in line):

"Yup. Something spooky is going on here that the pokemon are all feeling. None of us are welcome here, the city might be haunted. And if this isn't a normal, every-day feature, then I think we should just get our things done today and go."
    From his perch, Mina’s Natu bobbed up and down in agreement.

Spectacular.” Mina deadpanned. And then a memory surfaced. “One of the Starlight Squad lieutenants hadn’t wanted to come here. I wonder if that was why.

----------------

Police Station:

The Grunt did seem to be getting noticeably less comfortable as Less stared silently. Of course, she didn’t have a chair so that might be part of it.

“So are you going to talk to me or n—”

Mark sat down beside Less, but unlike the older man he didn't just sit and stare at the prisoner. With his bloodshot eyes, a twitch on his cheek, and pain radiating from his arm, he scowled at the bandra goon and tapped his mechanical fingers against the tabletop. Clinkclinkclinkclink, "So. I've been causing trouble for you people for a bit now. And this is a pretty distinctive identifier." His voice stayed low and neutral as he talked. Clinkclinkclinkclink, "Recognize me at all? I'm the kid who, with a ranger and some friends, ripped through your forces at the Shrine of Light, rescued the pokemon you people were murdering in it, and took the taskmaster there prisoner... the day after you fortified the area, because we captured a group of you grunts in your camp." Clinkclinkclinkclink, "All so I could get a pokemon you stole from me back."

Clinkclin-, he stopped tapping his fingers on the table, and instead folded his hands in front of himself so he could lean forward, attempting to make direct eye contact with the grunt. "I also knocked your helicopter out of the air. Knocked out the pilots flying it and melted its propellers to slag, because you people attacked my friend. After all this, I'm not exactly feeling patient or generous with Bandra, and I'm willing to do, oh, quite a lot to get what I need from you." He broke eye contact with the prisoner to glance at one of the guards and nod to them, before a little bit of the rage he worked so hard to contain filtered into his voice and his eyes shifted back to the grunt. "So. I suggest you tell my friend here whatever he wants to know, or as much as an expendable like you knows, anyway. We'll just end up figuring it out regardless, and it will work out better for everyone in the end if you choose to be... agreeable."
    The guard Mark made eye contact with gave the smallest hint of a nod. Apparently he’s okay so far.

“You’re crazy,” the Grunt responded to Mark. She tried to back away, but of course she was still handcuffed to the desk.

----------------

Mina:

Mina made her way to the Department Store to check out today’s Berry selection at the Farmer’s Market.

Still no Lum Berries. And most of what they did have she didn’t need more of. But they had a few each of Nilla, Qualot, Hondew, and Grepa Berries, so Mina cleared them out of those, and added an Iapapa Berry to her purchase after she realized she didn’t actually have one of those yet. ((+1 Iapapa Berry (1 total, 3 remaining for sale), +3 Nilla Berries (6 total, 0 remaining for sale), +2 Qualot Berries (7 total, 0 remaining for sale), +3 Hondew Berries (7 total, 0 remaining for sale), +3 Grepa Berries (5 total, 0 remaining for sale), -950 PD, 260 PD remaining.))

She put away her purchases and made her way to the University to sign everyone up who had wanted in on the chair setup and takedown (haunted or no, she hadn’t had a chance to finish that river water sample job so she was going to have to come back at least once more), then headed off to the library to do some more research.

----------------

Matt:

The lady behind the desk starts signing you in but pauses when you start checking your Pokédex. It turns out that it is, in fact, perfectly normal for Trapinch and Pinchy isn’t going to learn anything new naturally until she’s almost ready to evolve ((Crunch at level 33, she can evolve at level 35)).

However…

The Pokédex does say she can be tutored with a more expansive moveset before she evolves. And you do recall seeing a Move Tutor right by the entrance…

Show

Did you want to tutor her before you do your challenge?

----------------

Pinklady:

There are a few trainers in the kitchen when you arrive, all of them digging through cupboards for food or dishes but no one actively cooking yet. Someone did top off the coffee pot recently and there’s a box of bottom-tier tea bags nearby too.

Following their lead you find standard Center fair. Eggs – with multiple Chansey working at the Center, they nearly always had eggs – and things that could keep for a long time, like cereal, oatmeal, pancake mix, sugar, a jar of honey that would have been surprising if there wasn’t a field of Combee hives on the other side of town, a small assortment of canned goods, and finally in the fridge a couple loaves of bread, a half-empty jug of milk and some local fruits and veggies. As per usual, most of it is sourced from Helnith itself or has a long shelf life: presumably the same issues with the supply chain that the Marts are experiencing with Pokéballs, Revives and so on are plaguing imported foods.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Pinklady:

There are a few trainers in the kitchen when you arrive, all of them digging through cupboards for food or dishes but no one actively cooking yet. Someone did top off the coffee pot recently and there’s a box of bottom-tier tea bags nearby too.

Following their lead you find standard Center fair. Eggs – with multiple Chansey working at the Center, they nearly always had eggs – and things that could keep for a long time, like cereal, oatmeal, pancake mix, sugar, a jar of honey that would have been surprising if there wasn’t a field of Combee hives on the other side of town, a small assortment of canned goods, and finally in the fridge a couple loaves of bread, a half-empty jug of milk and some local fruits and veggies. As per usual, most of it is sourced from Helnith itself or has a long shelf life: presumably the same issues with the supply chain that the Marts are experiencing with Pokéballs, Revives and so on are plaguing imported foods.
    Pinklady gives a small wave of greeting to the other trainers in the kitchen before focusing on her own food-picking efforts.

What a variety! Pinklady looks upon the array of options. Even without imported foods, it was still more choices than she was used to. She decides to try some of the local greens she isn't familiar with. Of course, their unfamiliarity presents a small problem...

"Er, excuse me." She asks the nearest trainer. "I'm not from around here, do these..." She indicates some of the local veggies she picked up. "Need any sort of prep or peeling, or can I just." She motions towards taking a bite of one of them.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

In Line

Buck ruffed his agreement. Less nodded as well. If the Pokemon didn't feel safe it would be best to minimize the time spent here. The thought occurred to him that whatever the Pokemon were feeling could be a side effect of some Bandra plot. Less dismissed the idea. Skybreak was about as safe as a city could be at the moment. If Bandra was launching some kind of plot, then it wasn't something he could help by worrying. At least not now. His thoughts were still in the past anyway, and the thought left as quickly as it had arrived.

---------------

Police Station

Despite himself, Less was impressed by the young man's list of accomplishments. Less wasn't sure if they were the truth or not, but they seemed to have managed to unnerve the Bandra grunt regardless. Best to keep up the momentum, and play on the woman's discomfort.

"No one is coming to free you. Your boss considers you expendable. But we don't have to." Less paused to let the implications sink in. Best to get the information she was likely to have. "You were searching for a shadowed Pokemon. One that unexpectedly went missing. Why?"

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Pinklady:

One of the trainers tells you that that particular vegetable is called a malanga and it needs to be cooked. She says you can basically treat it like you would a potato and you’ll be fine.

----------------

Police Station:

“Yeah the boss does consider me expendable,” the Grunt fires back, obviously nervous, “so what’ll you think will happen to me if I squeal?”
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Skybreak (in line):

From his perch, Mina’s Natu bobbed up and down in agreement.

Spectacular.” Mina deadpanned. And then a memory surfaced. “One of the Starlight Squad lieutenants hadn’t wanted to come here. I wonder if that was why.
    ((In line))

"Kinda spacey guy, bonded to a Kadabra?" Mark assumed it would be Lijan, since it would be weird to have more than one psychically sensitive lieutenant among the Starlight Squad. Speaking of, Mark needed to check if the older man had replied to his message for a meet-up time yet... so he finished off his coffee and tucked the cup away so he could pull out his phone to check. "I should be meeting with him later today, actually, so that we can trade-evolve our pokemon. And... to discuss plans." He looked meaningfully at Mina as he said that part, partially to see how she reacts.

Police Station:

“Yeah the boss does consider me expendable,” the Grunt fires back, obviously nervous, “so what’ll you think will happen to me if I squeal?”
    ((Jail time))

"To be blunt, I'm psychically connected to my gardevoir. And if rumor is true, you should know from one of your bosses exactly what that means for any secrets that you try to keep from us." Mark told her, tapping his thumbs together impatiently. "We're asking you because we're nice, and as a formality. We don't need you to be cooperative." Even if all the papers he'd signed to get in here ensured he wouldn't follow through on the threat, she didn't need to know that. "I'm sure you don't know much, though, right? So... just tell us what you do know, so that we don't have to waste time and effort ripping it out the hard way."

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

In Line

Less listens without speaking.

----------------

Police Station:
    Less nodded while Mark spoke, then shrugged and added. "I believe that the officers here were planning some kind of press release about how cooperative the recent batch of prisoners has been. There aren't many of your former teammates who will stick their neck out for you after that. But the police . . ." Less lowered his voice to something calmer, more compassionate. "They could keep you safe. If you can give them a reason."

30. - Top - End - #360

"I believe I was informed there's a move tutor around this area, I would like to meet this individual to see what sort of...forgotten talents I might discover for my pokemon." I say to nobody in particular.