New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Helnith: Assault on the Town of Ash (RPG)

"Hmm." Less hums. "My name is Lester Douglass. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." The introduction comes out somewhat distracted, as Less focuses on processing the scintilla of information gained.

That had not been as much information as he had hoped for. Still, it was hard to be disappointed, Less himself had paid less attention to natural phenomena throughout his life than he had his books and histories. That Team Bandra had used them to conduct experiments was entirely expected, there was little the ruffians would not do in search of more power. "Do you know anything about what Team Bandra has done to agitate these Rifts?"
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-01-24 at 11:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

Leo happily stuffs his face while the conversation flows. Eventually he’s eaten his fill and returns outside to keep watch.

((I’ll just let you lot interact for a bit. Yell if you need me.))

----------------

Mark:

There’s a Move Tutor at Trainer Hill, but I don’t think Surf is one of the moves he can teach,” the Ranger replies in his usual drawl. ((Strictly speaking he can, since as of Gen VIII it got added to the level up move lists of a number of Pokémon, but the existing party Pokémon either aren’t one of those or aren’t high enough level yet.)) “We used to have the HM at the Ranger Base in Stardust City, but we lost it when the city fell. I don’t recommend going after it; even if Bandra hasn’t found it yet Stardust is going to be a much harder target than what you already have planned.

If I were you I’d just ask around; someone might have one they’ll let you borrow. Or just schedule your water travel around the peak of high tide, but with what you’re trying to do that’s going to be riskier.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

"I can't remember... Mark or Mina... two others I've encountered in my time here.... They would likely know more than I. They seemed a bit more acquainted with this land at least."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would very much like to speak to your acquaintances." Less states. "These events, and Team Bandra's actions, are a matter of particular interest to me."

5. - Top - End - #65

"Oh, of course, I'll call Mark now and see if he's in the area." I say as I pull out the phone app on the pokedex, find Mark's number and dial it. "Hey Mark, if you're in the Rieva vicinity would you be able to swing by the pokemon center? There's some inquiring minds here that are asking questions I lack answers for. I thought you would be a better alternative than I."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

While FLotsam is still waiting for (hopefully?) more food to arrive for her friends outside, she walks up to Less and Matt and asks, "Huh? So what's this about Shadow Pokemon and Team Bandra? What did they do this time?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Mark:

There’s a Move Tutor at Trainer Hill, but I don’t think Surf is one of the moves he can teach,” the Ranger replies in his usual drawl. ((Strictly speaking he can, since as of Gen VIII it got added to the level up move lists of a number of Pokémon, but the existing party Pokémon either aren’t one of those or aren’t high enough level yet.)) “We used to have the HM at the Ranger Base in Stardust City, but we lost it when the city fell. I don’t recommend going after it; even if Bandra hasn’t found it yet Stardust is going to be a much harder target than what you already have planned.

If I were you I’d just ask around; someone might have one they’ll let you borrow. Or just schedule your water travel around the peak of high tide, but with what you’re trying to do that’s going to be riskier.
    Yeah, he'd definitely need to ask around about that one. Perhaps the Starlight Squad would have an HM, or at least know someone who did and wasn't stuck on the Bandra side of Helnith. "Yeah, I'll have to see what I can find. Surf's a pretty strong move anyway, so I don't think I'll be sad to have it." Especially on Fisher, who sort of needed a multi-target damage move anyway. "Anything else you can think of suggesting off the top of your head? You know, besides 'Mark this is stupid and dangerous do something else.'"

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    "Oh, of course, I'll call Mark now and see if he's in the area." I say as I pull out the phone app on the pokedex, find Mark's number and dial it. "Hey Mark, if you're in the Rieva vicinity would you be able to swing by the pokemon center? There's some inquiring minds here that are asking questions I lack answers for. I thought you would be a better alternative than I."
    Mark answered his phone in the middle of training Tattersail (he's a bit ahead of the group currently, remember) and he'd say hi before listening to Matt's request. "Yeah, I could jump up to you guys, though I need to finish up a bit of training first. I was also going to call Wain to try and solidify our plan, so let me do that first so that I can fill you in when I get there. Also, I assume you'd like teleportation help to get back to our rendezvous center, right? Oh! And could you give Mina a call and see how she's doing?"

Tattersail visibly rolled her eyes at him during this delay in her training, and he pulled his phone away from his ear to tell her, "Oh, what, I can't ask for someone to check up on my friends without sass? The question was totally innocent anyway!" The psychic type mimed him chattering away with one of his hands and then swooning like a lovestruck maiden and he growled, "Oh shut up." It was only a little crush.

Going back to his phone, Mark said, "Well, anyway, I should be able to swing around by 8, after dinner and stuff. If these guys are willing to wait, then I'm definitely willing to talk. In the meantime, try to get to know them. Names, pokemon teams, what brings them to Helnith, see if they want to train or go pokemon hunting, you know, all the stuff and etcetera."

((Mostly just trying to set things so that time isn't super wibbly and wobbly. Mark's going to be busy until after his call with Wain, so that we can keep everything I've done so far without having to ret-con/ reschedule a bit of training. Keeping Kareeah's job easier. <3))

8. - Top - End - #68

"You....want me to see how Mina's doing....for you? Uh... I mean if you're busy I can call and ask her if she could come over and perhaps share what she knows with.... I'm sorry what did you say your names were again?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lester Douglass." Less says.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

The damp girl in her swimsuit and cradling her Goldeen looks at Matt blankly for a bit and blinks. "Um, hi. I don't think we've met before. I just go by Flotsam."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    "You....want me to see how Mina's doing....for you? Uh... I mean if you're busy I can call and ask her if she could come over and perhaps share what she knows with.... I'm sorry what did you say your names were again?"
    "Uh, yeah. I would, but, y'know, don't want to keep bothering her or anything. I'm always the one doing it, you know?" Tattersail kept silently teasing him, so he tapped the side of his head to tell her to read his mind and imagined himself giving her a rude gesture. How she retaliated left him blushing beat red and mumbling, "Oh my god- look, Matt, I gotta go, okay? 'Sail is getting a bit feisty with this delay. If Mina hasn't met up with you yet, she probably has a reason for it. Her research might just be super involved or something... do your best to answer their questions, and I'll meet up with you guys around 8pm to cover anything you missed, okay? Alright. See you soon. Bye."

Hanging up, eyes super wide, he tucked his phone into his pocket and, cheeks still burning, pointed at his psychic type and said, "You stop that." And then he got back to his training.

12. - Top - End - #72

Ah... Hello Flotsam, I'm Matt, helped Ranger Wain at the restaurant before in case you were there as well..." I say after Mark's awkward phone conversation.
    "Hang on one second, it appears one of my acquaintances is busy so I'll see if the other might be free..." I add as I awkwardly call Mina's number.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

Matt’s ‘dex rings a few times before the party on the other end picks up. A female voice responds:

Hello?

----------------

Mark (with Ranger Wain):

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    "Anything else you can think of suggesting off the top of your head? You know, besides 'Mark this is stupid and dangerous do something else.'"
    Nothing right now. Take care of yourselves!
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Less nods once, a silent agreement to wait while Matt makes another phone call.

15. - Top - End - #75

"Hey Mina, would you have time to come to Rieva to the pokemon center and inform some new...freedom fighters...about Bandra and other things they might inquire about?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Mark (with Ranger Wain):

Nothing right now. Take care of yourselves!
    "I'll try, and you stay safe while hunting those shadow pokemon too. See you soon, hopefully." Mark responded, before hanging up. Going over his journal he would jot down quick notes on the plan right now (including double-underlining "GET SURF"), and, around 5 minutes to 8pm, he teleported to Rieva to meet up with Matt and his new band of misfits.

((I can pause here or have a wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey meet-up with everyone, depending on what people want to do. If Mina ends up coming to talk, then I should probably pause just so people can talk to Mark in-character without being unsure what they should know IC. ))

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

Sure, I can stop by tomorrow if you like. Maybe later today, depending on how things go, but no promises there.” ((She’s only had about two hours to work on that side quest at this point in the timeline.)) “But what are they asking that you can’t manage yourself?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Flotsam seems to grow more disinterested as she feels more or less ignored, a couple phone conversations taking more priority than in-person conversation.

But she does interject at one point. "Um. Freedom fighters??" She was really wondering who this person was talking about. Surely not her or the old man?

The girl looks about uncomfortably. At this rate, the only thing keeping her here was waiting on the Copiakurn to return.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Less also raises an eyebrow at the phrase "freedom fighters," though he doesn't object out loud. Though over romanticized, the term does indicate that Less had stumbled into the kind of people that he was looking for. In spirit, at least. The implication of those words was a brazen challenge to Team Bandra, certain to draw their ire if overheard. Less briefly considered that this could be some kind of trap, but words seemed to come more from zeal than guile.

Less made his decision, and spoke. "I had questions about the nature of shadowed Pokemon. An unfortunate gap in my education. That said, I am not opposed to discussing other, perhaps more delicate subjects, at some point in the future." Though he wouldn't have normally interrupted a private conversation, he felt justified given the previous interruption.

The girl who introduced herself as Flotsam seemed to be shifting uncomfortably, on the verge of leaving. Despite her apparent indifference to the rain and cold, she would be risking catching a chill if she didn't stay inside to warm up. Less stood up and unwrapped a half sandwich he had been saving for Dancer, when the room was less crowded. With a gesture, he offered it to the girl. "Take this for now, child. I am certain there will be more soon."
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-01-30 at 11:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akio listens with half an ear while trying to prove to the actual heroes he isn't a plant by concentrating on training Ronoin, his Ditto, instead of talking about heroism.

At the mentioned if the Surf HM, he interjects that, while none of his team can learn it, Ronin can emulate it if they have a another Pokémon to copy, at least for a time.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

((@Feathersnow The call about Surf is separate from you guys, if there’s anything I can do to make things like that clearer in the future let me know.))

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    "I had questions about the nature of shadowed Pokemon. An unfortunate gap in my education. That said, I am not opposed to discussing other, perhaps more delicate subjects, at some point in the future."
    Shadow Pokémon? Well it’s kind of a temporary—

The rest gets drowned out when a loud roar rattles the building. It is, despite the noise, a small roar – definitely not the Fieberdra from earlier. The people from the restaurant immediately start talking amongst themselves, in voices that range from confused to frightened, and the girl on the other end of the phone seems to give up on being heard, saying “Matt, I can’t hear anything, call me back once things have calmed down on your end!” and hanging up.

A heartbeat later Leo is pushing through the door, followed by Orion, and then Hilda (who sees the huge number of strangers inside and promptly stops where she is, inadvertently turning herself into a door stop).

Leo and Orion immediately try to get their respective trainers’ attention. Flotsam ((and anyone else looking out the now-open door)) can see her remaining Pokémon milling around in confusion out in the rain, along with something else that she can’t make out because it’s the same color as half her Pokémon. As she watches, a pair of black blurs swoop into their midst, and when they’re gone Gypsy is too. But everyone present can hear her Horsea’s shrill, panicked cry as she’s carried away into the rain.

The lobby quickly turns chaotic; someone shouts “We’re under attack!” and a number of people push immediately to the back of the Center. Todd yells “That was a Shadow Pokémon! Quick, we gotta help that—Oof!” and then he’s tripped over his blankets and also Layla so the two land in a tangled heap. It’s clear they’re not going to be sorted out soon enough to do anything useful.

It’s about this time that the Copiakurn returns, carrying what seems to be a repurposed cookie sheet piled high with food. It looks around in confusion, then spots Flotsam and waddles over to present it to her with a noise that sounds like “ta-da!”
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Flotsam accepts the sandwich sheepishly, likely intent on going out with the somewhat meager spoils to share, but better than returning empty handed. "Oh.. thanks..! I guess that will do for now!" she briefly smiles at the man, only for there to be an interruption, a commotion!

"Huh? Hilda? Orion? What's wrong??" Flotsom asks. That roar wasn't good.

Flotsam makes her way to the doors, and tries to peer out the windows. It was pretty hard to see out there. But she notices the two dark shapes, and the shrill cries of Gypsy.

"Oh no! Gypsy!" Flotsam cries, tossing the half-sandwich aside, which probably landed on a table or something. Maybe the floor. Instead, she uses her other free hand to try to scoop up Hilda and beckons to Orion. "C'mon!"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

Flotsam’s Goldeen flops along the lobby floor to catch up with her and the other two Water types as she dashes out into the rain. The whatever-it-is that was mingling with her Pokémon outside bolts – it is blue and black, with yellow eyes – and another pair of black blurs take off from the Pokémon Center roof to chase after it, roughly in the same direction Flotsam can hear Gypsy’s rapidly-receding cries coming from. King falls in line with the rest of her Pokémon, the rain and mud making him nearly as fast over the ground as he would be in water.

Back in the Center, the Copiakurn makes a sad sound and waddles slowly back to the kitchen.

((And I’m going to pause there for everyone else in the Center to get a chance to react.))
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Princess!" Less reacts immediately, pressing the button on Princess's ball and sending her forth into the rain. "You and Leo, with me!" Less yells. "Buck, guard those inside!"

Less steps outside into a downpour that immediately soaks his tweed suit and plasters his mustache to his face. His head swivels left and right, looking for any immediate dangers, then tracking the fleeing Pokemon, if none present themselves.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-01-31 at 12:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

What the heck was that? I feel my feet rushing me toward the door, part of me wanting to help while another part is screaming, "Idiot! Didn't you hear we're under attack!? That could be Bandra out there!" Shaking my head I tell myself it doesn't matter, something needs help...

"Let's bring out the team, cept Pyrofyl, let's see what's going on out there."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Akio pulls Ronin from their aborted training and has them rest while calling out Eto, the Scizor! Resistant to most things besides flame, she seems like a good choice fir something that would come out in a rainstorm.

Together they go out the door. "How can I help!?"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Breakfast Party:

Fortunately there doesn’t actually appear to be any danger to the Center itself; neither Bandra nor hostile Pokémon.

You follow the Horsea’s cries out of town and into the sodden grassland surrounding it. The Pokémon that attacked - which turn out to be Murkrow - are also herding the yellow-eyed Pokémon (a Luxio) in the same direction, until the whole train of Pokémon, people, and Pokémon belonging to people arrives at a large outcrop of stone sticking out of the grassland. A worrying number of bones are scattered around it...and perched at the top, heedless of the rain, a Shadowed Honchkrow watches your approach with a soulless gaze. Sharp eyes reveal there’s something around one of its legs.

Another handful of Murkrow flap into view as the party approaches, so by the time the trainers and their Pokémon have all arrived, there are eight of them. A couple of the Murkrow are Shadowed too, but with their naturally dark coloration disguising the usual purple-black mottling it isn’t obvious without the Pokédex. The first set have chased the Luxio into a crevice in the rock; the latter is bristling at everything that comes close, including the party. ((Intimidate in effect! Its level is low enough it can ‘only’ affect twenty Pokémon, so the highest level Pokémon on the field (Rascal and the Honchkrow) are currently unaffected.))

Flotsam can see that Gypsy has managed to wrap her tail around the leg of the Murkrow that had grabbed her and is mostly doing a good job keeping out of the way of its beak, but by the same token the attacks she’s firing off are consistently missing their mark.

((Notes for players: Buck is still at the Center and can’t be used for this fight. The battlefield is under the effects of rain, same as if someone used Rain Dance but without wearing off.))

Honchkrow: 125/125 (Shadowed: 36%)
    Murkrow A: 85/85 (Shadowed: 48% , Intimidated)
    Murkrow B: 85/85 (Shadowed: 42%, has Gypsy, Intimidated)
    Murkrow C: 72/72 (Intimidated)
    Murkrow D: 72/72 (Intimidated)
    Murkrow E: 72/72 (Intimidated)
    Murkrow F: 72/72 (Intimidated)
    Murkrow G: 60/60 (Intimidated)
    Murkrow H: 60/60 (Intimidated)

Luxio: 67/67

Gypsy: 46/57 (Intimidated, tangled up with Murkrow B)
    Rascal: 76/76
    King: 67/67 (Intimidated)
    Orion: 57/57 (Intimidated)
    Hilda: 50/50 (Intimidated)

Leo: 66/66 (Intimidated)
    Princess: 64/64 (Intimidated)

Poli: 102/102 (Intimidated)
    Gastly: 72/72 (Intimidated)
    Ratman: 69/69 (Intimidated)
    Wythir: 75/75 (Intimidated)
    Flaaffy: 88/88 (Intimidated)

Eto: 77/77 (Intimidated)
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Flotsam scoops up Rascal as well so he doesn't have to flop around so much, whereas King seemed to propell himself quite fast through the rain. Flotsam calls back at Akio, having grown agitated with her attacked and missing Pokémon. "Help save Gypsy!"

She runs and runs through the rain, following the cries of her beloved Pokémon.

Seemed they were having a confrontation at a large outcropping. "Let her go!" Flotsam yells, pointing up at Gypsy.

She begins to mutter, "Rascal, if they don't let Gypsy go, confuse the big one. And King, you start blasting."

Looking at her staryu, she says, "Orion, you would need to get in quick (swift). Um.. Hilda.. take it easy and boost your defense for now."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Feels like I'm talking a lot. Could suggest a move to Gypsy too if you want.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-01-31 at 11:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Less looks at the flock of Murkrow with some concern. This is more hostile Pokemon than he's seen in one place before, and Buck not being at his side gives him a moment's pause before he shakes it off. "You will have no prey today."

"Go, Dancer! Hero! Leo, come back!" Dancer and Hero appear next to Less, Dancer bobbing her heads up and down as she quickly takes position near the center. Hero is looking a little more nervous at the massive pile of enemy Pokemon. Less hopes that her spikes will deter the Murkrow from ganging up on her too much.

"Princess, Bubble! Hit as many of those birds as you can! Dancer, growl!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Hero is taking Leo's spot. Don't want him to take too many super effective wing attacks, or whatever flying attack these things have.

Trying to avoid hurting the Luxio.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2023-02-01 at 10:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Daisho, Emerge!

Eto, distract that brute from the nice fish! Use Fury Cutter!"

Akio sends out his Crobat and has his Scizor defend Gypsy!
    GNU Terry Pratchett