New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I'm sorry, who?
    It's a reference to Barshens, who in an early video came across the phrase 'give Slepp the idol your bones'. Slepp eventually got memed into a (somewhat pathetic) dark god who wants your bones.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's a reference to Barshens, who in an early video came across the phrase 'give Slepp the idol your bones'. Slepp eventually got memed into a (somewhat pathetic) dark god who wants your bones.
    * I may no longer charge into a shadow dragon's lair, remarking to my party mates that
    "he just breathed on us, chances are it will be a few rounds before he recharges" as I bring the fury of the ax wielder to bear ...

** Because me saying that, you know, had to be what got the recharge roll to be a 6.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

I cannot rescue the unlikable loser who was created to be killed off.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-07-22 at 08:41 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

* Deviants do not get a power boost and new look halfway through the campaign.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

clarifying this, it originated in a video where they were reading a bad machine-translation of a scandanavian news article about Justin Bieber which included a statement that fans "refused to give Slepp the idol their bones" and it turned into a running gag about Justin Bieber worshipping a dark god named Slepp
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

* Deviants do not get a power boost and new look halfway through the campaign.
    I thought that's what getting new Scars is about?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

This is more 'I can't look at Deviant and see anything other than Showa Era Kamen Rider: the RPG'

Show

8. - Top - End - #308

* I am not allowed to play a set of intelligent items that convince their owner to become a superhero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

* I am not allowed to leap from a ten foot tall wall as part of my movement to maximize the distance my dwarf can move.
    (Failed an acro check, landed hard and lost half of my movement)
    ** Must now climb down walls.
    *** May no longer slit the throat of a cult fanatic (dropped to 0 HP) when the monk isn't looking
    **** May no longer chastise the monk for turning pacifist in the middle of a fight where the cult and its demon patron are trying to kill us ...
    Spoiler: why?
    Show
    the other players don't want to get into that discussion
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

* I am not allowed to yell out "I AM MY SCARS!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!!" to a questgiver.
    ** Even if I have sacrificed more than they have.
    *** I am no longer allowed to make WoW references that the rest of the group don't get.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

This is more 'I can't look at Deviant and see anything other than Showa Era Kamen Rider: the RPG'
    Yeah, because once you get the premise basically everything reminds you of Deviant. It's not called the DIY splat for nothing.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, because once you get the premise basically everything reminds you of Deviant. It's not called the DIY splat for nothing.
    Of course not, it's called that because everybody would like to forget Beast exists it also helps that conspiracy horror gives a lot of room for the game to go in.

Also the depicted Cephalist is clearly disabled. That's actually really unusual for CofD and one of the things that helped establish the tone for me (as well as just being cool). While pretty much everything reminds you of Deviant it somehow managed to also have its own identifiable tone and feel.

Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah but Deviants are even more Build-A-Monster than Beasts.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #314

*I am to stop using crude oil as my go to example of a naturally occurring substance
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah but Deviants are even more Build-A-Monster than Beasts.
    Well of course, Beasts are tied to specific metaphysics.

Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Of course not, it's called that because everybody would like to forget Beast exists it also helps that conspiracy horror gives a lot of room for the game to go in.

Also the depicted Cephalist is clearly disabled. That's actually really unusual for CofD and one of the things that helped establish the tone for me (as well as just being cool). While pretty much everything reminds you of Deviant it somehow managed to also have its own identifiable tone and feel.
    Speaking of this, in the newest book, Tending the Flame (for HtV), the example Watcher member has dwarfism.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

I may not build Disney inspired PCs and only speak in quotes from their movie.

There's nothing in that rule about NPCs though!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of this, in the newest book, Tending the Flame (for HtV), the example Watcher member has dwarfism.
    I don't have it, although yeah I've heard about that and it's pretty dang cool. RPGs kind of just totally suck at disability representation (and aren't great at other kinds) so it's nice to see some that doesn't boil down to 'you can take these for extra shinies!'

Plus I actually really want to play that Cephalist.

Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Well of course, Beasts are tied to specific metaphysics.
    Well, that and the fact that the broken soul is practically the only similarity between each method of Divergence.

I don't have it, although yeah I've heard about that and it's pretty dang cool. RPGs kind of just totally suck at disability representation (and aren't great at other kinds) so it's nice to see some that doesn't boil down to 'you can take these for extra shinies!'

Plus I actually really want to play that Cephalist.
    CofD is very LGBT+ friendly in general at least, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I may not build Disney inspired PCs and only speak in quotes from their movie.

There's nothing in that rule about NPCs though!
    Our crossover game in Los Angeles actually has a Keeper called the Mouse.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #320

*The proper way of handling a cat that brings me dead mice and birds is probably not to train the cat to leave the mice on a tiny sacrificial altar
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-07-29 at 09:14 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

There are probably multiple systems where you not only can but doing so would have a net positive effect on something, I imagine.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *The proper way of handling a cat that brings me dead mice and birds is probably not to train the cat to leave the mice on a tiny sacrificial altar
    Is this something you are doing in game or during sessions?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #323

*"Omnipotent but only when naked" is not a valid super power.
    **Especially for a sapient house cat.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    **Especially for a sapient house cat.
    Do we have to shave the kitty to awaken its "divine rank = yes" property? That seems like an unwise move.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

US naked or rest of the world naked? Because I think you can show the former on TV, and the latter after 9am... You dang Americans and your aversion to uncovered sexy bits, why can't my Sorcerer be a naturist!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Do we have to shave the kitty to awaken its "divine rank = yes" property? That seems like an unwise move.
    We don't have to shave the body hair off people for them to be naked, just remove their collar.

* 'The rules let me start forked into a dozen morphs' is not a valid reason to do so.

Show

26. - Top - End - #326

US naked or rest of the world naked? Because I think you can show the former on TV, and the latter after 9am... You dang Americans and your aversion to uncovered sexy bits, why can't my Sorcerer be a naturist!?
    Burn your feet on the asphalt, get arrested for indecent exposure.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-07-30 at 12:47 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #327

Burn your feat on the asphalt, get arrested for indecent exposure.
    While Asphalt does sound like a pretty bad feat, and consequently, I can get why burning a feat slot to get it would be unwise, I'm not sure how that's indecent.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Burn your feet on the asphalt, get arrested for indecent exposure.
    Oh no, if only that was a law where I live!

More seriously while I've played in games that banned sexual content, and probably wouldn't have been able to go bottomless, the few times I've I quired about bare breasts I haven't had pushback. I actually had one habitually topless wizard who almost got to the table intended to feed into her coming from a foreign culture (the game sadly didn't go ahead).

Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    While Asphalt does sound like a pretty bad feat, and consequently, I can get why burning a feat slot to get it would be unwise, I'm not sure how that's indecent.
    Pfft. Made my day, you did.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Should have picked a better feat, and maybe should have rolled for shoes.

* I may no longer begin an impromptu fight with a troll in a tunnel, even though the DM is the one who ran Tunnels and Trolls for us a few years ago.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-07-31 at 06:47 AM.