New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    * No matter how evil they are, having the BBEG kill the players with their monologue is not fun.
    ** Especially if the players die of boredom.

* No matter how objectively terrifying an eight-story dog would be, if it's an eight-story pomeranian, the general response is going to be 'cuuuuuute!'

** Or 'kill it with fire!' There doesn't seem to be any in-between.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

2. - Top - End - #92

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

* No matter how evil they are, having the BBEG kill the players with their monologue is not fun.
    ** No matter how much they deserve it the GM is not actually allowed to kill the players. Characters on the other hand …

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

At some point Terry Pratchett essentially said that if someone is trying to kill you, pray they are evil. Good people who decide you have to die will just kill you and get it over with where evil people will drag it out with torture and monologueing.
    Eh, he's missing the other kinds of good and evil, mostly because Discworld is one step short of melodrama. It's entirely possible for an evil person to have no enjoyment of having others at their mercy, or for good people to drag it out with attempts at redemption. Vetinari is probably a good example of the former, he enjoys giving you a theatrical death but once you're at his mercy he doesn't hesitate. It all comes down to pragmatism, with Vimes and Vetinari showcasing the 'good' and 'evil' sides. Carrot meanwhile errs more towards an idealistic theatrical good, although with heavy hints that he might actually be as pragmatic as Vimes (notably he is the one in Men At Arms who just gets it over with) while the villains of Watch books trend towards theatrical evil.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, he's missing the other kinds of good and evil, mostly because Discworld is one step short of melodrama.
    *golf clap*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, that was from Vimes’ perspective.

Also Vetinari isn’t that bad of a man, honestly.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

I can't name characters Al Pocalypse, Reverend Elations, Gertie Dammerung, or Ray Gnarock.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, those unironically seem good names.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #98

* Pokeballs are not a weapon of mass destruction
    ** "Rocks fall; everyone dies" is what DMs say when they're sick of a campaign, not what players say when they want to clear some territory of monsters.
    *** The correct response to Earth being overrun with monsters is not to terraform Mars
    **** I may not break the DM's mind with overpowered exploits before the campaign even begins.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

* I may no longer shove the drow priestess down the elevator shaft when the only person in the party who can speak undercommon wants to talk to her
    Spoiler: No regrets
    Show
    ... but darnit, I had that Shield Master bonus action and it felt good to hear the satisfying splat from 120' up.

** I may no longer render moot the DM's collection of aberrations (seven or eight of them, to include a few beauties from Volo's) by simply telling them to piss off!
    Spoiler: Watcher's Will
    Show
    Yes, all seven failed their saving throw versus Abjure the Extraplanar, which I almost never get to use

*** I may no longer leave the following instructions for the catering crew at my PCs wedding: "Leave no guest un-hammered"
    Spoiler: The Catering Crew?
    Show
    (The catering crew are a druid circle who make the best moonshine in the kingdom. You want us to pay taxes? Here, spiked growth, ya dadburned revenooers!
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

* I may not turn myself in to guards running a "Death Run" to clear myself for a crime i didn't commit.

** I am supposed to run away from the dinosaurs in said Death Run, not towards them.

*** Maiming the T-Rex is very bad form.

Spoiler: Adventure Spoilers
    Show
    Tomb of Annihilation is fun >:)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

*If the druid has fallen in battle, we cannot try to use their body as a Magical Device after the fact to cast their unused spells.

**Not even if it's "what they would have wanted"

12. - Top - End - #102

My Bard needs to have more in their repertoire than Weird Al songs.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My instant response was: "Weird Al or bagpipe speed metal polka. Choose your poison."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    My instant response was: "Weird Al or bagpipe speed metal polka. Choose your poison."
    .. isn't that just more Weird Al tho?

15. - Top - End - #105

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    .. isn't that just more Weird Al tho?
    Ah, but it's the illusion of free choice.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Persolus View Post
    Ah, but it's the illusion of free choice.
    The dreaded Quantum Yankovic!

17. - Top - End - #107

The words "Lovecraftian" or "Geigeresque" should never be used to describe any aspect of my character.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #108

SwashbucklerGuy

No you don't.
    There are songs that play at work that my brain auto-translates into Wierd Al that I don't actually know the real words to, even though they are playing over the air.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    No you don't.
    There are songs that play at work that my brain auto-translates into Wierd Al that I don't actually know the real words to, even though they are playing over the air.
    I wanna bowl with, the gangsters...

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    No you don't.
    I realized that I Weird Al everything I don't care for, or even things I actually like just because I'm in that mood.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

The words "Lovecraftian" or "Geigeresque" should never be used to describe any aspect of my character.
    Correct, they shouldn't describe any aspect of a character. They should describe every aspect of the character.

Probably no pictures tho.

Definite nope on larping that.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Correct, they shouldn't describe any aspect of a character. They should describe every aspect of the character.

Probably no pictures tho.
    I think that Lovecraft is to blame for Hentai.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I think that Lovecraft is to blame for Hentai.
    Hey now, not all Hentai is naughty tentacles! There's some where the schoolgirls date other monsters!

* If my villain's plan can be mistaken for the plot of a Hentai I'm to stop the game until I come up with something different.

Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

* If the character sheet is 74 pages long, no one is ever going to read it

* If my character can legitimately consider long-running comic book characters weak in comparison to them, they're not allowed

* May not become a being devoted to copying, stealing, devouring and generally collecting powers, memories, appearances, items and so on just because I'm indecisive about my identity and want to try things out
    ** May not use my replication powers to make two duplications of a unique weapon to dual-wield against the person wielding the original

* May not create a "chicken pox" that actually turns people into chickens
    ** May not use it on the enemy army
    *** May not enhance it to become a Cuccoo pox
    **** May not defeat the leader of the enemy army with a swarm of cuccoos transformed from their own men
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

* May not create a "chicken pox" that actually turns people into chickens
    ** May not use it on the enemy army
    *** May not enhance it to become a Cuccoo pox
    **** May not defeat the leader of the enemy army with a swarm of cuccoos transformed from their own men
    But you may shout out "I'm Cuccoo for Cuccoo pox" while you battle them, right?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-02-10 at 09:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

* The Numidium Vs the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann will probably just result in the surrounding reality being destroyed by reality-breaking shenanigans
    ** Combining the Numidium and Spiral Power is just completely ridiculous

* May not use vast Jumper powers to create a race of lesbian monster girls loyal to me
    ** May not begin conquering worlds with them and offer people to become one of them with magic
    *** May not offer healing to people that turns them more monster girl the more it heals them

* May not create an artificial universe just to test what happens when someone divides by zero in it

* Even if my Stand is to switch the places of subjects and objects, may not go around switching random things for comedic effect
    ** May not switch anyone's food with a bomb
    *** Especially if it makes my enemies exclaim "YOUR FOOD JUST BECAME A BOMB! OOOOH NOOOOOOO!!!" Joseph Joestar style

* My options for empowering other people may not be "become an Exalt" "become a planeswalker" "become immortal" or "become mythical progenitor of a new species of your own creation"
    ** may not take options to become an anyone-absorbing, infinite clone replicating, supernatural disease creating, shapeshifting hivemind

27. - Top - End - #117

EvilClericGuy

* If the character sheet is 74 pages long, no one is ever going to read it
    "Old Man Henderson, is that YOU?!"
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * No matter how objectively terrifying an eight-story dog would be, if it's an eight-story pomeranian, the general response is going to be 'cuuuuuute!'

** Or 'kill it with fire!' There doesn't seem to be any in-between.
    Related: My DM told me I'm no longer allowed to use pomeranians as the material spell component for flaming sphere spells.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

29. - Top - End - #119

Even if the rules allow it, I can't play as a Celestial or a Rogue Watcher in a Marvel Superheroes game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Even if the rules allow it, I can't play as a Celestial or a Rogue Watcher in a Marvel Superheroes game.
    * May not be someone with Rogue's powers plus some way of extending and multiplying limbs to grab as many people as possible

* May not go into superhero universes just to teach FMA Alchemy so people can make bread out of grass
    ** May not point out that FMA Alchemy is safer than most superhero powers, as its rules are known and easily followed, its abuses are easily identifiable and the worst things it can do require a lot of knowledge of how it works and very big transmutation circles to make work requiring centuries to properly set up.

* the mastermind behind everything may not be a dog from an alternate timeline