New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Jolly Green Giant is not a type of main sequence star
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-02-22 at 04:56 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

* May not respond to an accusation of shooting an unarmed man by saying “How could I know he was unarmed - he had his back to me?”
    ** May not refer to the posse closing in on our party as a result of (*) as “good, they’re giving us a wide shot selection”

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

* May no longer telepathically tell my hunting pet to pee on the bank managers leg, no matter how funny the Crew found that to be. (Timing is everything).
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    *** Pre-recorded lute music of "It's A Small World" is not an acceptable substitute.
    Dang it, Reltzik! Now I've got that song going through my brain! Maybe I can replace it with "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts"...
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

DM: "Absolutely not."
    Me: "Fine. What about pre-recorded music? I could probably find a lute rendition of It's A Small World..."

When the other players came back to the table, the DM called for everyone's attention and officially announced (without any context provided to the rest of the group) that I was now banned from even creating a bard character ever again and if they ever so much as SAW me holding a character sheet with the word "Bard" written in the class entry they were under orders to pelt me with dice.
    Look up Through the Fire and Flames - Tavern Version
    Just play it in the backround. See who notices.

6. - Top - End - #156

**** The DM doesn't know how I can pre-loot recorder music, doesn't want to know, and doesn't need to know. It's forbidden regardless.
    Pre-recorded lute music is perfectly sensible. Pre-looted recorder music suggests someone stocked recordings of that retched semi-flute in actual stores.

7. - Top - End - #157

* Failing to set a trap properly is nothing unusual. It's a bit weird when you manage to repeatedly fail to bait a trap when the procedure in its entirety is 'dump a barrel of blood on the ground'.

* Getting impatient because the rest of the party is waffling around for twenty-plus minutes about not much is... well, not great, but understandable. Responding by summarily murdering the one combat encounter we got this session in the second round is a bit less so.

* If the other players get into an argument about whether my characters are primarily sociopaths or psychopaths... and I almost exclusively play chaotic good characters, with the full intent of remaining (and doing) good... something has gone a bit odd. That or I've been following the Pyromaniac'smancer's credo a little too closely (namely "The only problem that cannot be solved by the application of enough fire is too much fire. Corollary; there is no such thing as too much fire.")
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

* May not half-remember the lyrics to a song I don't know as "MEGAHARDAN GIGAREAL RICARDO FORGET ABOUT IT"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #159

The Harlequins of Cegorach are not Juggalos
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-03-03 at 02:01 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #160

*Morgan le Fey is not related to Tina Fey
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-03-05 at 06:39 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

That's what they want you to think~
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

* May not have the villain have a defense against power of friendship attacks
    ** May not proclaim "Foolish, did you think I wasn't prepared against such an obvious force?" then kill all the heroes easily after they survive
    *** The rest of the campaign may not be spent looking for an actual power greater than the villain to defeat them with when the power of friendship fails

* May not remark to the kidnapped king "if you thought that was bad, imagine if we were actually trying to overthrow you"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #163

* May not declare the Power of Family to surpass that of Friendship.

** Especially not if 'the Power of Family' is just a euphemism for Dominic Toretto spontaneously appearing and running your enemy over in some absurd muscle car.

* Likewise, the greater power is not 'The Power of Friendship... and this gun I found'.

** Most likely because the gun will jam, as any gun you found just laying around isn't going to have been properly maintained.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

I may no longer forget to 'push to talk' three turns in a row when playing an on-line game.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-03-07 at 08:15 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ** May not proclaim "Foolish, did you think I wasn't prepared against such an obvious force?" then kill all the heroes easily after they survive
    *** The rest of the campaign may not be spent looking for an actual power greater than the villain to defeat them with when the power of friendship fails
    I hope they've not also protected themselves against the power of love, the power of hate, and the power of rock. Because at that point you're pretty much just left with the power of bacon, and that's really hard to transport.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Because at that point you're pretty much just left with the power of bacon, and that's really hard to transport.
    Is any other power really even needed at that point?
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

17. - Top - End - #167

*The magic mirror is not Siri
    **or Alexa
    ***"Mirror mirror on the wall...was Chelsea Handler in The Happytime Murders?"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-03-07 at 03:36 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *The magic mirror is not Siri
    **or Alexa
    ***"Mirror mirror on the wall...was Chelsea Handler in The Happytime Murders?"
    Or on the houses I tend to frequent:

'Mirror mirror on the wall, set basting timer for thirty minutes.'
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #169

The mirror also isn't facebook or google.

* I cannot use scrying artefacts to stalk my crush.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2023-03-07 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #170

****The defense against the power of friendship is not multi-target attacks

*****The Power of Friendship is not a euphemism for forming an angry mob

EDIT:
    *May not replace all of the problematic Vistani characters from Ravenloft with a conspicuously white fortune-teller named "Madame Karen" who roams the mists in a camper van filled with mayonaise jars, yoga mats, and small dogs

*The name of the skill is "Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)" not "Knowledge (Celebrity Trivia)"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-03-12 at 12:35 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #171
    Colossus in the Playground

*I cannot play a misotheistic "cleric" who gets their spells from the concept of their hatred of the gods.
    **Even though under standard D&D cosmology all the gods are kind of bastards and they and the Outer Planes themselves are dependant on rendering down sapient beings to first batterie and then raw materials to be recycled or devoured, a character with the goal of "kill all the gods and destroy the Puter Planes" cannot be chaotic good.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot play a misotheistic "cleric" who gets their spells from the concept of their hatred of the gods.
    **Even though under standard D&D cosmology all the gods are kind of bastards and they and the Outer Planes themselves are dependant on rendering down sapient beings to first batterie and then raw materials to be recycled or devoured, a character with the goal of "kill all the gods and destroy the Puter Planes" cannot be chaotic good.
    Let me introduce you to the Athar! They are very, very canon and follow exactly that philosophy. Quite successfully sometimes.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-03-12 at 08:38 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to say "Ur-Priests" but that works too.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #174

*May not depict the author of the Necronomicon as a naive idealist who is placidly unaware of or unimpressed by the horrific implications of the dark truths he has just shown, and therefore disappointed by the book's reception

**May not misattribute quotes from Richard Dawkins to Abdul Alhazred

***"a foreign publisher of my first book confessed that he could not sleep for three nights after reading it, so troubled was he by what he saw as its cold, bleak message. Others have asked me how I can bear to get up in the mornings. A teacher from a distant country wrote to me reproachfully that a pupil had come to him in tears after reading the same book, because it had persuaded her that life was empty and purposeless. He advised her not to show the book to any of her friends for fear of contaminating them with the same nihilistic pessimism
    If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking can undo it. That is the first thing to say but the second is almost as important. As I went on to write:
    Presumably there is indeed no purpose in the ultimate fate of the cosmos but do any of us really tie our hopes to the ultimate fate of the cosmos anyway? Of course we don't, not if we are sane. Our lives are ruled by all sorts of closer, warmer, human ambitions and preceptions. To accuse science of robbing life of the warmth that makes it worth living is so preposterous, so diametrically opposite to my own feelings and those of most working scientists, I am almost driven to the despair of which I am wrongly accused
    "
    -The Necronomicon The Selfish Gene, 30th Anniversary Preface
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-03-17 at 02:03 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #175

* Even if you are double their height and something like eight times their mass, "You are puny and your attacks seem ineffective." is a bad greeting. Especially when you are being rescued from an airship crash caused by an enormous Ice Worm partially eating, then choking on your airship.

** Even so, Miss Manners probably won't back the response of finding an even bigger Ice Worm and beating it to death with one's bare hands... while inside its mouth... smashing its teeth to get out, and then staring the huge, insulting rescuee firmly in the crotch while demanding "Puny and ineffective?"

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * Even if you are double their height and something like eight times their mass, "You are puny and your attacks seem ineffective." is a bad greeting. Especially when you are being rescued from an airship crash caused by an enormous Ice Worm partially eating, then choking on your airship.

** Even so, Miss Manners probably won't back the response of finding an even bigger Ice Worm and beating it to death with one's bare hands... while inside its mouth... smashing its teeth to get out, and then staring the huge, insulting rescuee firmly in the crotch while demanding "Puny and ineffective?"
    I think I was banned from playing a hoRde of Nac Mac Feegle after I revealed that I was planning to do this to every enemy.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

* May no longer use up all of the party's beverages - mead, ale, brandy, whisky, rot gut - to get a couple of ogres drunk.
    Spoiler: Why I can't do that anymore
    Show
    The monk had the DTs the next day thanks to no booze

** May not do an impromptu stand-up routine in Giantish to go for the big laugh.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

As GM I may no longer give the dire squirrels a "collect nuts" ability and and "gelding blow" special attack. It's "or", not "and".

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *May not depict the author of the Necronomicon as a naive idealist who is placidly unaware of or unimpressed by the horrific implications of the dark truths he has just shown, and therefore disappointed by the book's reception

**May not misattribute quotes from Richard Dawkins to Abdul Alhazred

***"a foreign publisher of my first book confessed that he could not sleep for three nights after reading it, so troubled was he by what he saw as its cold, bleak message. Others have asked me how I can bear to get up in the mornings. A teacher from a distant country wrote to me reproachfully that a pupil had come to him in tears after reading the same book, because it had persuaded her that life was empty and purposeless. He advised her not to show the book to any of her friends for fear of contaminating them with the same nihilistic pessimism
    If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking can undo it. That is the first thing to say but the second is almost as important. As I went on to write:
    Presumably there is indeed no purpose in the ultimate fate of the cosmos but do any of us really tie our hopes to the ultimate fate of the cosmos anyway? Of course we don't, not if we are sane. Our lives are ruled by all sorts of closer, warmer, human ambitions and preceptions. To accuse science of robbing life of the warmth that makes it worth living is so preposterous, so diametrically opposite to my own feelings and those of most working scientists, I am almost driven to the despair of which I am wrongly accused
    "
    -The Necronomicon The Selfish Gene, 30th Anniversary Preface
    After recent events....

I may not hide the Necronomicon in a children's library.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

30. - Top - End - #180

I cannot make my villains thinly veiled references to current politicians.
    * I cannot make my villains a mashup of current politicians.
    ** My villain's plan cannot be to merge all the politicians into a single person.
    *** "We won't accumulate their ages" does not make it better.
    **** Going "metal wolf chaos up in this joint" is right out.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.