New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ***I cannot eat Cthulhu
    Tracked down my patron and ate him with garlic
    The screaming wore off past an hour or two.

**** I probably shouldn't eat the heart of the goddess who ate Cthulhu either
    ***** I may not resurrect the god who ate that heart
    ****** After the heartless remnant of the goddess splits into two gods who are even more insane, I should not aid either of them
    ******* Nor should I hire a team of general ne'erdowells to steal said hemideities
    ******** Not all our campaign worlds need to interrelate -- especially when the campaigns are in different systems.

2. - Top - End - #242

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewID View Post
    I think "I may not attack the other players with fireballs" is a good general rule.
    You take that touchie-feelie, New Age BS somewhere else.

*May not use the players' love of dogs and cats to distract them with real-life pets while I surreptitiously rearrange the miniatures to improve my tactical situation.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    **If the other players refuse to play characters without fire immunity, things have gone too far.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

* May no longer - when a voice coming from a dimly lit alley says "Hey there, handsome!" - respond with "She must be talking to me!"

** May not join the secret cult, based on the ensuing encounter, just because my (IC) PC's mother used to worship in that religion.

*** May not refer to that religion's ritual dance as The True Twerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ***I cannot eat Cthulhu
    Breaded and fried, it tastes like chicken calamari. Best paired with demon's ichor a fruity white wine.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-04-24 at 01:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrewID View Post
    I think "I may not attack the other players with fireballs" is a good general rule.

DrewID
    Well, if you want your game to be BORING.....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #246

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    See? SEE?! It's not just me!
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, we play in my home. I do not want fireballs going off in my home! Fireball Insurance is expensive, the deductibles are too high, and I'm sick of funding my contractor's vacation condo. No fireballing other players!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-04-25 at 04:07 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Tohron View Post
    **If the other players refuse to play characters without fire immunity, things have gone too far.

*shifty look*

I didn't use that much friendly fire...

Then again, that character had a stated life goal of setting everything that annoyed him on fire, and frequently got irritated with the other party members... hmm.

And the fire immunity wouldn't have helped them anyways, I took a couple of feats to bypass it

* Apparently not allowed to miss sessions. Wasn't there last week and the party spent the entire session huddled around the campfire at night while unknown things in the trees asked them riddles, told jokes, and laughed at them.

** Even if it gets the plot moving again, if things in the night are terrorizing the party, should not just fly right up to one of them and give them a strange look just to see what they do.

*** Even if, logically, my aaracokra monk would have no cultural context whatsoever for 'scary clown', still shouldn't shrug and dismiss the magically horrifying undead clown-things as 'another weird human(oid) thing'.

**** Still not allowed to 'nope' the DM's fun when one of his NPCs runs face first into a monk ability that nullifies whatever it was trying to do (disease immunity is fun!)

***** Probably shouldn't have been disappointed that there were only three of the deadly, fear-casting, paralysis causing, disease-spreading ghouls in that encounter, and that finding more of them would take effort.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I really must draw the line at fireballs. Books are flammable!

DrewID

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    * Acceptable collateral damage is a concept that originated in Paranoia which can be transplanted into any game in any genre.

** If there is no collateral damage you’re not trying hard enough.

*** the other PC was probably a commie mutant traitor anyway.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

*The King In Yellow was not one of the suspects from Clue
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *The King In Yellow was not one of the suspects from Clue
    * Nor is Khorne, even if you decide he is an unmarried woman.
    ** I don't think the tootsie-roll-pop owl is purple, but even if he was, he isn't a suspect from clue.
    *** Lady Peacock of the Shimmering Hair might be the closest you can come to a suspect from clue and I just made her up.
    **** No, she isn't an exalted of beauty who goes around killing people by setting up elaborate murder mysteries for them.

* If we troll the DM by having all of our characters be suspects from clue we are not to complain when we have to solve a murder mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

* The NPC being called Dr Black is not an excuse to find a candlestick and then drag them into the kitchen.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * The NPC being called Dr Black is not an excuse to find a candlestick and then drag them into the kitchen.
    The Clue set I had as a child had, I think, Mrs White as the 6th character (Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Reverend Green, Professor Plum, and Mrs Peacock being the other 5), but the one we acquired recently has Dr Orchid (who is bright pink) as the 6th character.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The Clue set I had as a child had, I think, Mrs White as the 6th character (Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Reverend Green, Professor Plum, and Mrs Peacock being the other 5), but the one we acquired recently has Dr Orchid (who is bright pink) as the 6th character.
    Yeah, but the victim in Cluedo has always been Dr Black.

I used to have a nice reproduction set with the original six and the pepperbox revolver. It's a shame it's been lost. Honestly going back to a single die for movement really changes the game, except for the secret passages switching rooms intentionally is going to cost you a turn at minimum.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #256

Yeah, but the victim in Cluedo has always been Dr Black.
    It's Mr.Boddy in the American version and in the movie
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

It's Mr.Boddy in the American version and in the movie
    Yeah, but that breaks the theme naming and ruins the subtlety of the reference. Keep your degeneracy out of my classic board games next you'll be referring to Ludo as, I dunno, Parcheesi or something.

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Colossus in the Playground

A game meant to be high fantasy Law & Order should not turn into high fantasy Breaking Bad.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #259

* There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting the biggest, fastest asteroid I can find directly in front of them.
    ** There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting half the fleet so that they're directly in front of the other half and going the other way.
    *** There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting the entire fleet into the sun.
    **** There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting part of the sun into the enemy fleet.
    ***** There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting the fleet back out into deep space every time they show up until they either give up or run out of fuel.
    ****** There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting all the crews away and stealing their ships.
    ******* There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting all the ships away and leaving the crews where they were (and stealing their ships).
    ******** Even dumb aliens are eventually going to get suspicious if previous invasion fleets get sold to the next invaders, especially if you keep doing it.
    ********* Earth is now on the Interstellar Do-Not-Invade List.

* I am no longer allowed to annoy evil aliens until they invade.
    ** I am no longer allowed to trick evil aliens into invading.
    *** I am no longer allowed to inspire aliem invasions in any fashion, especially not based on the resale value of their ships.
    **** I am no longer allowed to inspire alien invasions based on the psychotropic effects gained by licking them.
    ***** I am definitely not allowed to trick aliens into invading based on their flavour profile.

* If psychotic alien warlords burst into tears upon realizing where they've just been suckered into invading, it may be time to tone it down a little.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-25 at 05:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * There is more to stopping an alien invasion than teleporting the biggest, fastest asteroid I can find directly in front of them.
    Of course, by the time the saucer reaches the point where the asteroid was it's moved way. Make sure you get one on the right vector.

* Star Wars ships do not use reactionless drives.
    ** Even if I can show the lack of remass tankage on the diagrams.
    *** Even if that was true i must stop ordering astromechs to ram X-wings into the Death Star.

Show

21. - Top - End - #261

* Star Wars ships do not use reactionless drives.
    Star wars space has a healthy supply of air to use as reaction mass. It is not very breathable, so they need masks to breathe in space, but just look at the swooping acrobatics of an x-wing.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

* I may no longer take the farmer's wife shopping for new shoes, boots, and a summer holiday dress.

** I may no longer buy the farmer a present for his wife to deliver to him.

*** I may no longer bribe the caravan master to take the farmer's wife home safely to her husband with the underlying threat that I will hunt him down and feed him his own nuts should he fail to get her home safely

**** I may no longer excuse my imperfections under the premise that I am an upright and proper lady a Celestial Warlock who has no issues who will kill you as soon as look at you ..
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-05-25 at 08:44 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

*I may no longer steal the dm's thunder by correctly guessing important plot points (two sessions in a row)
    **I may no longer name horses after dead party members

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

* May not make a character whose catchphrase is "If ain't worth a boom, it ain't worth a billion"
    ** May not make a goblin wizard inventor who knows almost nothing but evocation spells
    *** may not make constant capitalist verbal advertising for things like my useless inventions
    **** or advertise my potions as "Boomabillion healing potions! an explosion of healing! for when your experiments blow up in your face!"
    ***** May not make her say "I dislike all the goblin guilds trying to replace bards with Arcane Intelligences, wheres the passion in that?"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #265

*Gryffindor is not on double secret probation

Omegaupdate Forum

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

*Gryffindor is not on double secret probation
    **Gryffindor is on Ultra Merlin Charm of Probate. It's more wizardy.
    *** Ultra Merlin Charm of Probate is NOT a YuGiOh Spell card. Yet.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2023-05-26 at 02:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

* My character in Call of Cthulhu is not afflicted with 1920s Big Idea Man syndrome.
    ** I cannot induct the shoggoth into my pyramid scheme multi-level marketing opportunity.
    *** Especially not while we are trying to fight monsters in an actual pyramid.

* If I decide to have my character pretend to be Clarence the Unwinged Angel, I don't get to complain when the GM gives me wings for my good deeds.
    ** Even if it hurts.
    *** And they grow bigger every time a bell sounds in my vicinity.

* I cannot pretend to be an angel in settings with active gods.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

* The GM saying "fluff is mutable" apparently does not mean that I get to change spell fluff into lewd visual puns or describe standard normal weapons & attacks as exotic stabby marital aids & a series of groin shots.

** No more swapping magic spell & martial stunt fluff & descriptions either. Burning hands is not "spray vodka from my mouth across a candle" and opportunity attacks are not "instant knife spell".

*** Color & texture swaps are out too. No more hot pink silk ribbon dagger whips that are mechanically rapiers.

**** "Fluff is mutable" is no longer an option with this GM.

29. - Top - End - #269

* Hunting mushrooms in the dark and promptly being attacked by adamantine skeletons is not, in fact, a perfectly normal night, D&D or not. Also, the DM entirely deserves all the Wolverine jokes.

** Upon bludgeoning said skeletons into submission, deciding that we should just abscond with them bodily because adamantine is valuable and/or useful is apparently unexpected, or at least unexpected by the DM.

*** Monks may no longer be absolute bottom of the barrel as of 5e, but there's still something wrong with a monk putting out roughly as much damage as the entire rest of the party put together.

**** Finding an Amulet of Pure Good being worn by an apparent undead should, on reflection, be given more consideration than 'woohoo! new magic item!' ((and no, it wasn't just a construct according to an arcana check, since there was necromancy involved in its creation))

* If my character's reaction, upon discovering that they had ended up in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, is relief, either something has gone gravely wrong or they should have significantly more PTSD than they currently do.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    *** Monks may no longer be absolute bottom of the barrel as of 5e, but there's still something wrong with a monk putting out roughly as much damage as the entire rest of the party put together.
    No, there isn't. Dice are/can be swingy and fickle.
    * If my character's reaction, upon discovering that they had ended up in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, is relief, either something has gone gravely wrong or they should have significantly more PTSD than they currently do.
    Heh, that got a wry grin out of me.