New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Let's Read: The Han Solo Adventures (1979)

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The slavers seem to be well-organized and well-funded. Swoop gangs on Bonadan. Pirate ships that can raid authority space. Murder attempts on both halves of our split party at once.

I wonder what happened to the Lady of Mindor? It's possible that Han may have saved all their lives by forcing the villains to chase after him rather than spend any more time on the passenger liner ... but then again, maybe the slavers took the time to make sure no one on that ship would bear tales back to the Authority.

*Does a quick scan* Doesn't look like other media will tell us anything, just that she was attacked by "pirates".

I'm going to put a happy ending on this story and say the pirates were too busy chasing Han to waste more time on a passenger liner and simply left them. I suppose it's also possible, however, they took the time to kill everyone on board so as to cover their trail. Thoughts?
    I've read the books, but don't remember much of this one (Star's End, and the climax of Lost Legacy are the only parts I recall), so the following doesn't have any spoilers AFAIK:

The captain seemed awfully co-operative to me, and we know the conspiracy is wide-ranging. I think the captain was in on the fake "piracy" cover story to some degree. But even if he wasn't, I think the Lady of Mindor, passengers and crew are left un-murdered. I'd guess the robbery-at-space is still completed, to preserve the slaver-conspiracy's cover-story.

Aside from possibly killing one of their own, or exposing their contacts, destroying or disappearing the ship seems like it would attract a lot more attention than simple piracy, even anomalous piracy. Plus, if anyone is looking for a conspiracy, laying the false trail of "bold pirates" is probably better than having them looking into "what happened to this respectable space-liner?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Chapter 9
    Space Scots Wae Hae; the death duel

Spoiler
    Show

The escape pod sets down at Ammaud's landing field, tracked buy more anti-ship turbolasers than anyone would be comfortable with. The people on the surface know something went on up there, and they are no taking no chances. Ammaud's snubs steer clear of the free-fire zone that the spaceport ingress has now become, but Han gently sets the pod down in as harmless and friendly way as he can imagine.

He and Fiolla are bickering about the fact her hand-picked personal assistant turned out to be one of the slavers. She insistent that he passed a "thorough background check".

Really? background checks aren't all they are cracked up to be . It also raises the question who ran this check ; perhaps the same Authority moles who are giving the villains cover to raid a tour ship in the middle of Authority space also passed the BI without telling her?

Han, who is pretty clever all things considered, puts the pieces together: The reason she found that data on Magg's system wasn't because he was investigating the slavers, it's because he's one of them. He must be their accountant, maybe more. When he realized what Fiolla had found, he had sent her out alone to that scooter rendezvous to be murdered. Fortunately, Han had stepped in at that point. So it wasn't that Han goofed up the meet -- he saved her life.

Port security wants a word.
    PLANET LORE CHECK : We learn that the planet Ammaud is run by a confederacy of seven clans, each with their own uniform and extremely competitive. All seven clans are represented in the port security services, which are now pointing a bunch of guns at Han and Fiolla.

Han , in a feat unusual for him, tells the bare minimum truth: They were passengers on the Lady of Mindor which was hijacked by pirates; they escaped.

Plausible, so far. The port officer tells Han the pirate cut loose from the Lady and is completely gone.

That's one question answered; sounds like the villains didn't have time to wreak any horrors on the ship, so the people on the Lady should be fine, apart from being a little shook up.

The officer demands to see their identification. Han claims they weren't able to bring it and Fiolla puts on the sultry female in distress routine, which puts the officer at ease but he's not done yet.

An argument breaks out in the police -- the arresting officer wants to take him to House Reesbon for questioning, but another member wants him to be taken to the Glaydds instead, because there's more Glayyds here than Reesbons.

In a flash of inspiration, Han claims to have business with the Mor Glayyd -- the clan chief of the Glayyds. He's making this up as he goes along, but the thinks he has a better chance with the Glayyds than with the Reesbons. Why... why... Ah! That's why. It's because the Mor Glayyd had been mentioned in Zlarb's data plaque. That's the entire reason they're on this planet in the first place, to trace the slavers, and the Mor Glayyd is Han's lead. The Reesbons have nothing to offer except indefinite detention until they figure out who Han is, at which point he'll be off to jail.

At this point Bollux reveals himself; he had watched the events seated on a shipping crate in the port and has been making his way over to the party. Han claims him as personal droid and, droids attracting no interest from the police, is allowed to join Han and Fiolla. The Glayyd officer leaves to fetch a car, warning Han that the Mor Glayyd is extremely busy at the moment, he's about to fight a death duel.

Our heroes are allowed to converse among themselves. Bollux (what a bright fellow he is, even without Blue Max!) had been dropped some distance away from the spaceport, he simply walked in through the automata labour entrance and went to work moving crates or anything else that was needed. No one noticed anything out of the ordinary about a labour droid doing work, so he had the run of the place, drifting from job to job without question. He kept his auditory circuits open and also spoke with those automata capable of speech, and from them he learned the scoop: Some outsider has mortally insulted the Mor Glayyd , and so the Mor Glayyd has been obliged to challenge him. The other clan leaders won't intervene, and the Mor Glayyd will lose all face if the stranger dies, so the duel is on.

Han changes his mind and asks Bollux to stay with the life pod (why?) and travels to the Glayyd stronghold.

We speak to [url=https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ido_GlayydIdo[/url], the Mor Glayyd's sister.

Described as "a few years younger than Fiolla... dressed in silvery thread and wearing a shawl of some wispy blue material. Her reddish brown hair was held in place by a single blue ribbon." There's an ugly hand-shaped mark on her cheek.

This, she explains, is her brother's death warrant. The outsider they spoke of had sought her out at a party, became angry at something she said, and struck her. By the code duello this is the single greatest offense possible, while calling someone a liar is the second greatest. That's why, in old shows, you'll see someone strike someone else with a glove to provoke a duel -- because someone struck with a blow MUST fight, to the death, or forever be dishonored.

Unfortunately, the person whom the Mor Glayyd has been compelled to challenge is Gallandro

Gallandro's a killer, one of the best guns-for-hire in not just the Corporate Sector but the galaxy. It's pretty plain this is not a true matter of honor, but an assassination attempt.

I can't find the link right now but I'm given to understand this was a fairly common ploy back in the days when duelling would occur. If you wanted someone dead, either trick them into challenging a professional killer, someone who specializes in duelling, or hire such a person as your champion. It appears that is exactly what has happened to the Mor Glayyd, and he's certainly dead once he steps into the dueling circle. Gallandro, being the challenged, has choice of weapons. He has chosen hand blasters and a face-off draw; a wild west shootout, showdown at high noon.

If Gallandro kills the Mor Glayyd their lead will evaporate. Perhaps this is part of the slaver's plan?

Fiolla has a brain-wave: It is acceptable for a champion to fight in the Mor Glayyd's place. She suggests Han step in as that champion.

Not only will they save the Mor Glayyd's life, the Mor Glayyd will be in their debt as well, which will greatly help their investigation.

Han is skeptical; he's not thrilled at the idea of getting into it with a professional gunfighter. Fiolla argues that Gallandro will probably withdraw once he realizes that, win or lose, the Mor Glayyd will live through this so his contract -- if that is what it is -- cannot be fulfilled in any event. Besides, Han has something of a reputation himself; who would want to fight him.

Still dubious, Han is talked into it.

They meet Ewwen Glayyd, the Mor Glaydd.

Described as "younger than his sister, wore an outfit stiff with braid and decorations of one kind or another , and a gunbelt that somehow didn't seem to fit him. He was slightly shorter than his sister, slim and pale. His hair, the same color as hers, was caught behind him in a tail. "

He is bemused that a stranger would be willing to risk his life for his sake, but before they can get into it Gallandro and his second show up, they are awaiting the Mor Glayyd in the armory. The party adjourns there.

There's a firing range here complete with holotargets, but today it isn't targets on the menu. Five people wait for them.

-- The surgeon. A "weary-looking woman" with a medipack, here to administer aid and pronounce death if necessary.

-- An older man in Glayyd livery with a mean, scarred , face. The Mor Glayyd's second, the clan's combat instructor.

-- Another man in Reesbon colors, the challenged's second.

-- a white-haired elderly man, the matches's judge.

And finally we come to the star of this show, Gallandro himself.

"Slightly taller than Han but more compact ... long mustachios at the corner of his mouth, with two tiny golden beads at the end. ... [easy and graceful], wears sombre gray trousers and high-collared tunic with a light gray jacket over it. ... A trailing, supple white scarf, knotted around his throat, falls down his back." He carries an intricately tooled gunbelt at his waist.

A further note: "It was the man's eyes that set off most of Han's alarms, making him absolutely certain of the man's profession .. a deep, clear blue, unblinking, unwavering."

He takes off his jacket and takes in the party. Han steps forward to fight in the Mor Glayyd's place.

"Why?" Asks Gallandro as Han examines the fighting weapons, looking for a blaster and belt that will suit him.

"My dispute's with the Mor Glayyd. I don't even know you." Gallandro continues.

"But you know I'm faster than the kid", Han easily responds.

Let's quote this next bit verbatim.

"He met Gallandro's gaze, as placid as a pool's surface at dawn. All the important information was exchanged then, though neither man's expression altered and nothing more was said."

Then Gallandro turns to the Mor Glayyd and apologizes, begging forgiveness. Since he cannot kill the Mor Glayyd, there can be no gain from this duel. He is clearly insincere, but the words and forms have been followed. Ewwen is tempted to force the fight anyway, since he wouldn't mind seeing Gallandro shot, but Ido intervenes and accepts Gallandro's apology with the proviso he be off the planet in 24 hours. He agrees.

Gallandro turns to Han. "Another time, perhaps".

"Whenever you can work yourself up to it", Han replies.

Gallandro laughs, and then he blurs. Han didn't even see him move, but a spare few seconds later -- one combat round? There are four holotargets down range that each of a hole in the middle of their x-ring, dead center, and Gallandro has already reholstered his pistol.

"Another time, perhaps." Gallandro says. And walks away.

So now we meet an antagonist. He's convincingly built up as being extremely deadly and dangerous. If R.A. Salvatore were writing this story, this would be Artemis Entreri to Han's Drizzt Do'Urden. Two deadly rivals, very closely matched.

And now Han is alive and has a clan leader in his debt. For the first time in many chapters, things are looking up.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2023-02-28 at 09:27 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Han's biggest issue...

Spoiler
    Show
    He seems to believe himself that Gallandro is better than he is. And that belief by itself can place him at a big disadvantage.

Spoiler
    Show
    “It worked,” sighed Fiolla. “But you shouldn’t have traded digs with him, Solo. He seemed sort of—dangerous.”
    Han gazed at the four holotargets registering perfect hits, then back at the departing Gallandro. He ignored Fiolla’s vast understatement. Gallandro was far and away the most dangerous gunman Han had ever seen; faster, he was nearly certain, than Han himself.

"That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Han's biggest issue...

Spoiler
    Show
    He seems to believe himself that Gallandro is better than he is. And that belief by itself can place him at a big disadvantage.

Spoiler
    Show
    “It worked,” sighed Fiolla. “But you shouldn’t have traded digs with him, Solo. He seemed sort of—dangerous.”
    Han gazed at the four holotargets registering perfect hits, then back at the departing Gallandro. He ignored Fiolla’s vast understatement. Gallandro was far and away the most dangerous gunman Han had ever seen; faster, he was nearly certain, than Han himself.

I wouldn't call being able to recognize when someone is better than you an issue.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I think the new antagonist IS better than Han at gunfighting. Han is a smuggler/scoundrel build with feats and ranks in his personal sidearm, but he's also spent points in piloting, use computer, ship maintenance, and so forth.

By contrast, the new person reminds me of the Duellist prestige class from D20, a build designed specifically for 1v1 duels. Gallandro looks to me like a min-maxer who has accepted a suboptimal build in almost every other area except one: Shooting.

If we find that he's good at something else besides killing people, I might revise my opinion. We've still got about a book and a half left. But that's my opinion now.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That's my read too. Han identified Gallandro as a professional, its literally his job to shoot and kill people and he's very good at it. Way better than Han, and Han knows it. But he's a professional who won't get paid for killing Han, even if it would be easy - plus, even an idiot can get lucky.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

I think the new antagonist IS better than Han at gunfighting. Han is a smuggler/scoundrel build with feats and ranks in his personal sidearm, but he's also spent points in piloting, use computer, ship maintenance, and so forth.

By contrast, the new person reminds me of the Duellist prestige class from D20, a build designed specifically for 1v1 duels. Gallandro looks to me like a min-maxer who has accepted a suboptimal build in almost every other area except one: Shooting.

If we find that he's good at something else besides killing people, I might revise my opinion. We've still got about a book and a half left. But that's my opinion now.
    Gallandro's skillset:

Spoiler
    Show
    is revealed to be broader than just quick-draw in the next book - he's also been an ace fighter pilot.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

So was Han's , once.

But I think they've made choices with their build since then.

Spoiler
    Show

In RPG terms, the ability to shoot 4 targets in a single combat round shows us he has the Manyshot and Quickdraw feats. He hit every target despite manyshot's negative modifier. You get ... what? A new feat every two levels or so? So he is, in RPG-terms, a mid-to-high level fighter or ranger, and a pretty good adversary to the character Han is at this time before the movies.

Of course this isn't an RPG but the basic abstraction still applies: It takes significant experience and skill to be able to pull that sort of thing off, and hitting multiple targets bulls-eye IS going to be more difficult than shooting only one. So I think the RPG mechanics still give a rough idea of this person's capabilities and range of skill. I stand by my belief they are better than Han in gunfighting; so if this were an RPG and I were running Han's character, I'd be looking for some way to fight him outside that skillset. I choose the banjo!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

9. - Top - End - #219

My theory is that his fighting skillset is broad enough and good enough that, in RPG terms, he is higher-level than Han - older, more experienced. Possibly in a more combat-focused class.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Chapter 10!
    Chewbacca's excellent wilderness adventure

Spoiler
    Show

The scene shifts to the Millenium Falcon, which is now landed in a mountain valley by a small lake high above the spaceport.

Spray is here as well. Chewie notes that he's really pulled his weight since the forced landing, pulling his weight and helping prepare the meals. Still, he has no wilderness training so it's no surprise if he's a little nervous, out of his element. Literally.

Chewie is leaving to set up a remote sensor site to give them better surveillance of the surrounding area than is available from the Falcon itself. Spray asks, somewhat timidly, when he'll be back.

Chewbacca can't speak Basic and Spray doesn't speak Shrywook , but Chewbacca is able to use
    pantomime and charades to indicate it won't be long.

Spray is still nervous. He points off to a herd of grazers in the distance. There have been small groups passing by the Falcon. Chewbacca is prepared, though; he has his bowcaster and ammunition with him. Think deer with antlers, but with six legs. The smallest adult is four times the size of a wookie.

Spray also points to the sky and points out some flying creatures -- Soarers. A flying predator something like a pterodactyl. They are large and have very large wingspans. They typically only see one or two of them, but now there are about 12.

Chewbacca gets to work. Soon he sees the reason for the larger number of predators -- there's a very large grazer herd coming his way, calves in the center, bulls on the outside. While he works, Chewbacca keeps a wary eye on them, but they aren't a threat now, just a concern.

As he's working he hears what sounds like distant thunder.

Uh-oh. It's a stampede. We've seen this before .

They're bypassing the Falcon for now, but that may not last, they're already filling up the valley. Chewie turns to run, but he's already been cut off.

Because he was setting up a surveillance site, he's on the highest point in the area, and the grazers are going around him ... so far. That won't last, though.

He's debating his options. The grazers are panicked and will attack any stranger in their midst, so he can't run with them or work his way through the herd.

His thoughts are interrupted as a soarer stoops on him. They're following the herd in the hope of picking off a cripple or stray from the herd, and in their tiny brains Chewie in this context looks like lunch. Time for him to teach Ammaud's wildlife that wookie meat has sharp edges. He shoots his attacker in the wing, which falls into the stampede and is trampled. Another one is incoming. Chewie takes his time to center its head in the sights and turns its lights out with a single shop. The body falls at his feet. The other soarers get the message, break off in search of easier prey.

Meanwhile , the grazers have jammed the valley and some of them are flowing back towards Chewie. he fires a volley into the ground in their feet which scares them off, but he hasn't got enough to chase them all of.

Meanwhile, Spray is aboard the Falcon. He is sounding its klaxons and flashing its lights to scare the grazers away, and it is working. If it gets much worse he may have to take control of the guns and open fire on the herd, although there's nowhere near enough firepower to cut a way through to Chewie.

It is at this point that Chewie has an idea. Stripping the tripod of his surveillance sensor for long , thin metal rods and cables, he goes to the corpse of the soarer. He spreads it's wings wide, propping the spine with a rod and thus fashions an impromptu hang glider!

We did mention he was on the highest point in the area where he was setting up a sensor, right? He leaps into the air and soars into the air above the herd, just as the stampede overruns the ridge! The other soarers sense there's something wrong with this thing in the air and stay well away from him. Maybe they think it's a zombie.

It is a glorious few seconds as he tries to aim for the Falcon but eventually he fails his piloting check. The wing snaps and he's spilled into the lake, strapped to the soarer's body.

Chewie is drowning as he's fighting with the body of his former glider, and he's not winning. He's resigned to death when a large brown shape suddenly appears in the water. Circling, it skillfully cuts the wires and extricates him from the wreckages, then drags him to shore.

It's Spray, wirecutters held in one hand, earning some hero points.

They break the surface and Chewbacca takes deep breaths. Spray says, "That was fantastic! I've never seen anything like that in my life! I came after you when I realized you'd overshot and would land in the lake, but I never thought I'd reach you in time. The land just isn't my element."

Chewbacca notes he feels the same way about the sky, as he begins to swim slowly and carefully towards the shore.

Biology and wildlife lessons, crazy improvisation, cool points for both Chewie and Spray , the DM should award them both challenge and bonus XP for surviving this little encounter. Well done, team! Spray continues to impress. Just who IS this guy?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Chapter 9
    Space Scots Wae Hae; the death duel

Spoiler
    Show

The escape pod sets down at Ammaud's landing field, tracked buy more anti-ship turbolasers than anyone would be comfortable with. The people on the surface know something went on up there, and they are no taking no chances. Ammaud's snubs steer clear of the free-fire zone that the spaceport ingress has now become, but Han gently sets the pod down in as harmless and friendly way as he can imagine.

He and Fiolla are bickering about the fact her hand-picked personal assistant turned out to be one of the slavers. She insistent that he passed a "thorough background check".

Really? background checks aren't all they are cracked up to be . It also raises the question who ran this check ; perhaps the same Authority moles who are giving the villains cover to raid a tour ship in the middle of Authority space also passed the BI without telling her?

Han, who is pretty clever all things considered, puts the pieces together: The reason she found that data on Magg's system wasn't because he was investigating the slavers, it's because he's one of them. He must be their accountant, maybe more. When he realized what Fiolla had found, he had sent her out alone to that scooter rendezvous to be murdered. Fortunately, Han had stepped in at that point. So it wasn't that Han goofed up the meet -- he saved her life.

Port security wants a word.
    PLANET LORE CHECK : We learn that the planet Ammaud is run by a confederacy of seven clans, each with their own uniform and extremely competitive. All seven clans are represented in the port security services, which are now pointing a bunch of guns at Han and Fiolla.

Han , in a feat unusual for him, tells the bare minimum truth: They were passengers on the Lady of Mindor which was hijacked by pirates; they escaped.

Plausible, so far. The port officer tells Han the pirate cut loose from the Lady and is completely gone.

That's one question answered; sounds like the villains didn't have time to wreak any horrors on the ship, so the people on the Lady should be fine, apart from being a little shook up.

The officer demands to see their identification. Han claims they weren't able to bring it and Fiolla puts on the sultry female in distress routine, which puts the officer at ease but he's not done yet.

An argument breaks out in the police -- the arresting officer wants to take him to House Reesbon for questioning, but another member wants him to be taken to the Glaydds instead, because there's more Glayyds here than Reesbons.

In a flash of inspiration, Han claims to have business with the Mor Glayyd -- the clan chief of the Glayyds. He's making this up as he goes along, but the thinks he has a better chance with the Glayyds than with the Reesbons. Why... why... Ah! That's why. It's because the Mor Glayyd had been mentioned in Zlarb's data plaque. That's the entire reason they're on this planet in the first place, to trace the slavers, and the Mor Glayyd is Han's lead. The Reesbons have nothing to offer except indefinite detention until they figure out who Han is, at which point he'll be off to jail.

At this point Bollux reveals himself; he had watched the events seated on a shipping crate in the port and has been making his way over to the party. Han claims him as personal droid and, droids attracting no interest from the police, is allowed to join Han and Fiolla. The Glayyd officer leaves to fetch a car, warning Han that the Mor Glayyd is extremely busy at the moment, he's about to fight a death duel.

Our heroes are allowed to converse among themselves. Bollux (what a bright fellow he is, even without Blue Max!) had been dropped some distance away from the spaceport, he simply walked in through the automata labour entrance and went to work moving crates or anything else that was needed. No one noticed anything out of the ordinary about a labour droid doing work, so he had the run of the place, drifting from job to job without question. He kept his auditory circuits open and also spoke with those automata capable of speech, and from them he learned the scoop: Some outsider has mortally insulted the Mor Glayyd , and so the Mor Glayyd has been obliged to challenge him. The other clan leaders won't intervene, and the Mor Glayyd will lose all face if the stranger dies, so the duel is on.

Han changes his mind and asks Bollux to stay with the life pod (why?) and travels to the Glayyd stronghold.

We speak to [url=https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ido_GlayydIdo[/url], the Mor Glayyd's sister.

Described as "a few years younger than Fiolla... dressed in silvery thread and wearing a shawl of some wispy blue material. Her reddish brown hair was held in place by a single blue ribbon." There's an ugly hand-shaped mark on her cheek.

This, she explains, is her brother's death warrant. The outsider they spoke of had sought her out at a party, became angry at something she said, and struck her. By the code duello this is the single greatest offense possible, while calling someone a liar is the second greatest. That's why, in old shows, you'll see someone strike someone else with a glove to provoke a duel -- because someone struck with a blow MUST fight, to the death, or forever be dishonored.

Unfortunately, the person whom the Mor Glayyd has been compelled to challenge is Gallandro

Gallandro's a killer, one of the best guns-for-hire in not just the Corporate Sector but the galaxy. It's pretty plain this is not a true matter of honor, but an assassination attempt.

I can't find the link right now but I'm given to understand this was a fairly common ploy back in the days when duelling would occur. If you wanted someone dead, either trick them into challenging a professional killer, someone who specializes in duelling, or hire such a person as your champion. It appears that is exactly what has happened to the Mor Glayyd, and he's certainly dead once he steps into the dueling circle. Gallandro, being the challenged, has choice of weapons. He has chosen hand blasters and a face-off draw; a wild west shootout, showdown at high noon.

If Gallandro kills the Mor Glayyd their lead will evaporate. Perhaps this is part of the slaver's plan?

Fiolla has a brain-wave: It is acceptable for a champion to fight in the Mor Glayyd's place. She suggests Han step in as that champion.

Not only will they save the Mor Glayyd's life, the Mor Glayyd will be in their debt as well, which will greatly help their investigation.

Han is skeptical; he's not thrilled at the idea of getting into it with a professional gunfighter. Fiolla argues that Gallandro will probably withdraw once he realizes that, win or lose, the Mor Glayyd will live through this so his contract -- if that is what it is -- cannot be fulfilled in any event. Besides, Han has something of a reputation himself; who would want to fight him.

Still dubious, Han is talked into it.

They meet Ewwen Glayyd, the Mor Glaydd.

Described as "younger than his sister, wore an outfit stiff with braid and decorations of one kind or another , and a gunbelt that somehow didn't seem to fit him. He was slightly shorter than his sister, slim and pale. His hair, the same color as hers, was caught behind him in a tail. "

He is bemused that a stranger would be willing to risk his life for his sake, but before they can get into it Gallandro and his second show up, they are awaiting the Mor Glayyd in the armory. The party adjourns there.

There's a firing range here complete with holotargets, but today it isn't targets on the menu. Five people wait for them.

-- The surgeon. A "weary-looking woman" with a medipack, here to administer aid and pronounce death if necessary.

-- An older man in Glayyd livery with a mean, scarred , face. The Mor Glayyd's second, the clan's combat instructor.

-- Another man in Reesbon colors, the challenged's second.

-- a white-haired elderly man, the matches's judge.

And finally we come to the star of this show, Gallandro himself.

"Slightly taller than Han but more compact ... long mustachios at the corner of his mouth, with two tiny golden beads at the end. ... [easy and graceful], wears sombre gray trousers and high-collared tunic with a light gray jacket over it. ... A trailing, supple white scarf, knotted around his throat, falls down his back." He carries an intricately tooled gunbelt at his waist.

A further note: "It was the man's eyes that set off most of Han's alarms, making him absolutely certain of the man's profession .. a deep, clear blue, unblinking, unwavering."

He takes off his jacket and takes in the party. Han steps forward to fight in the Mor Glayyd's place.

"Why?" Asks Gallandro as Han examines the fighting weapons, looking for a blaster and belt that will suit him.

"My dispute's with the Mor Glayyd. I don't even know you." Gallandro continues.

"But you know I'm faster than the kid", Han easily responds.

Let's quote this next bit verbatim.

"He met Gallandro's gaze, as placid as a pool's surface at dawn. All the important information was exchanged then, though neither man's expression altered and nothing more was said."

Then Gallandro turns to the Mor Glayyd and apologizes, begging forgiveness. Since he cannot kill the Mor Glayyd, there can be no gain from this duel. He is clearly insincere, but the words and forms have been followed. Ewwen is tempted to force the fight anyway, since he wouldn't mind seeing Gallandro shot, but Ido intervenes and accepts Gallandro's apology with the proviso he be off the planet in 24 hours. He agrees.

Gallandro turns to Han. "Another time, perhaps".

"Whenever you can work yourself up to it", Han replies.

Gallandro laughs, and then he blurs. Han didn't even see him move, but a spare few seconds later -- one combat round? There are four holotargets down range that each of a hole in the middle of their x-ring, dead center, and Gallandro has already reholstered his pistol.

"Another time, perhaps." Gallandro says. And walks away.

So now we meet an antagonist. He's convincingly built up as being extremely deadly and dangerous. If R.A. Salvatore were writing this story, this would be Artemis Entreri to Han's Drizzt Do'Urden. Two deadly rivals, very closely matched.

And now Han is alive and has a clan leader in his debt. For the first time in many chapters, things are looking up.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    I've been waiting for this. I don't remember much of anything else from Han Solo's Revenge, but I DO remember Gallandro. He made a strong enough impression on me back in the day that I even cribbed the beaded mustachios thing for a D&D character of mine some 15 years ago.

I'm also getting more firmly on board with the idea that Spray is more than just a simple skip-tracer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I wouldn't call being able to recognize when someone is better than you an issue.
    Yes and no. It's good from a survival perspective.

Spoiler: Spoiler for book 3
    Show
    But if they ever have a duel it would put Han at a disadvantage. And he did lose. Believing you are second best is a good way to ensure you are second best.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #223

The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the world's second best swordsman. He fears the world's worst swordsman because he can't predict what the idiot will do.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the world's second best swordsman. He fears the world's worst swordsman because he can't predict what the idiot will do.
    Thus applies much more to gambling than swordfighting. Not knowing what you're doing in a fight gets you killed really hard.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Thus applies much more to gambling than swordfighting. Not knowing what you're doing in a fight gets you killed really hard.
    It actually is somewhat true of fencing: a professional fencer will know basically everything a trained-but-not-all-that-good fencer might do, because they've trained the same way but the professional will be consistently quicker and cleaner about it. Somebody who's never held a sword before, on the other hand, is much less predictable. I don't know how well this translates to a real fight rather than combat-as-sport, mind you, but unpredictability is generally dangerous.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #226

Most likely it means the untrained guy is still going to get killed, but he also has a better chance of causing an injury in the process.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

The problem I have with a wild-west style shootout is that, while the gambling odds will be on one fighter or another, the action is simply too fast; anything can happen.

Perhaps someone drops a plate. Or a car backfires. Or maybe your gunbelt isn't quite tight and it slips while you reach for it. Maybe your stomach suddenly starts hurting from bad pepperoni. Any one of thousands of variables that can throw the gunner off by a few milliseconds, and that could be all the difference between a clean victory and a missed shot, with resulting hole in your own chest.

So no matter how good someone is, they should never take the outcome of any gunfight for granted. Any one of a thousand variables might tip things the wrong way at the wrong time.

Think of it like gambling at roulette. Imagine you're backing the house and will win if the house does. You know the odds are at best 50-50 (betting on red or black) and at worst 1 out of 32 (if the opposing player bets on just one square). So the odds are "ever in your favor" .. but if you keep spinning the wheel, sooner or later your opponent WILL get lucky, and then you're dead.

So I think the world's best gunner should fear the second-best gunner AND the worst gunner. Because there's always that random 1 waiting in the background and with weapons as deadly as blasters , in a world without resurrection, there will be no second chance.

Of course there will be people making their living this way. But they shouldn't take any match for granted no matter how lopsided it is.

My understanding that real sword duels are like that as well ... this is a fictional example, but I understand This scene from seven samurai (time : 1:40) is a lot closer to real-life sword duels than what you'll normally see in Hollywood; there is a flash almost two close to see as the combatants charge at each other, blink and you miss it, then one or the other is dead on the ground. In quite a few cases , both. Unarmoured human flesh and bone doesn't stop sharp steel well at all.

I did do some fencing with foil once upon a time, and the matches were about that fast then as well.

I think the other person in this story is making the right play -- if you're going to put your life on the gambling table and spin the wheel, there's got to be a reward commensurate with the risk. Say the odds are 31/32 you win and only 1/32 you lose. But if the outcome is 31/32 you gain nothing because you're fighting the wrong enemy, and 1/32 you'll die in the process, that doesn't seem a risk worth taking, no matter how small.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Most likely it means the untrained guy is still going to get killed, but he also has a better chance of causing an injury in the process.
    Depends on the types of swords involved, and the context.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #229

At this point I think the aphorism is getting stretched further than it's meant to.

The story beat is the contrast between the two - a professional who absolutely could win a fight, but gains nothing if he wins and risks dying; and the relative amateur who has a lot more on the line and a lot less to lose.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Chapter 11
    A family reunion; uninvited guests

Spoiler
    Show

Camera pans back to Han, who is telling Ewwen --
    the Mor Glaydd -- about his problems.
    About Zlarb, who had tried to rob him and kill him, and who
    owes him ten thousand credits. The Mor Glayyd is sympathetic, but is
    unwilling to help Han despite the fact Han just saved his
    life. He's lawful stupid, see. The clans have an ask-no-questions-give-no-answers
    policies in all their dealings, which is probably how they got mixed up with slavers
    in the first place. He suggest Han send for Gallandro again, if he wishes.

The young fool really does value his honor about his life, and he might very well lose it
    if Han were a spark less chaotic good than he obviously is.

Fiolla asks them if their code requires them to shield traitors; Ewwen responds that , while
    Zlarb definitely screwed over Han, so far as he knows Zlarb and the slavers haven't broken
    faith with him, and he's unwilling to bend the Code.

Han shows a streak of chaotic good by not calling Gallandro and letting him finish this young fool off, but instead prepares to take his leave, snarling at them as a parting shot for
    letting themselves get mixed up with murderers, kidnappers, slavers, and poisoners. He takes his leave.

And is called back. Did you say... poisoners?

Well, yes, yes he did. Zlarb was a Malkite poisoner.

How very interesting, the previous Mar Glaydd, their father , had died of poison not so very long ago. They had poison tasters to check their food , of course, but they didn't have any
    indication of what was wrong until their father dropped dead.

Han is not surprised; it's very hard to catch Malkite poison. The way the Malkites normally
    bypass tasters is to dose them with antidote beforehand. Why don't you check those tasters
    for residue of antidote?

They do so and, to no one's great surprise, that is exactly what they find.

Ewwen and his sister immediately reverse course and give all aid to Han and Fiolla. First, they provide them with an airship to search for the downed Falcon. They also provide them
    with a ton of spare parts and repair materials so the Falcon can conduct field repairs and become flyable again. These include shielded electronic circuits to replace the horrible fluidics they have been stuck with all this time. Finally, they register the flyer as a Mor Glaydd patrol over clan lands, so no one will think twice about their little ship. They also provide Han with all the information he needs to trace down the list of mysterious ships and drop-offs which occurred here.

Fiolla promises to bring the slavers to justice. She cautions the Glayyds that, while she will
    do what she can to keep their names out of her report, they need to be more choosy about their
    clients in future. They have a dead father because of that indiscretion, and if they get
    further into the criminal underworld it will only get worse from there.

They disguise themselves in Mar Glayyd uniforms and consider the data given by the clan;
    there are a lot of higher-up Authority names implicated in this racket, people who have
    provided ship charters , operation certificates, and those oh-so-necessary waivers for the criminals. Small wonder the thugs are so well-equipped and so able to strike so deep
    in Authority space! For all intents and purposes they are a shadow arm of Authority, or at
    least of a very significant portion of it.

They take off. Fiolla is surprised at Han's absolute confidence he can find Chewbacca,
    but Han knows the Falcon , knows Chewies, knows exactly how he thinks, so he has no doubt he can think along the same lines as his partner and find him.

The camera pans to the Falcon where Chewbacca and Spray have fallen into an easy rhythm and a partnership; Spray spins his day diving into the lake and fetching out sea life for
    their daily food, which he also prepares, while Chewbacca concentrates on repairs to the ship.

When Spray brings the food in , Chewie ruffles his hair; they're becoming friends, seemingly.

Soon, however, they hear the sound of approaching engines and a flier espies their position.
    WHen it comes around for its second pass, it does a barrel roll. Chewie barks in glee; by
    this he knows Han Solo is the pilot of the craft.

The boat lands, and Chewbacca comes to greet them. Han explains that he almost missed them, as the Falcon is camouflaged very well indeed. But they noticed a large number of animal tracks detouring around that spot -- the stampede from last chapter -- so they took a closer look and spotted the ship. Fiolla and Bollux emerge from the flier also. It is at this point Blue Max announces his presence -- he's been awfully quiet to the point I've been wondering where he was for these past few chapters, but he's been with Bollux the whole time. But of course; there's no reason for him to advertise his presence and nothing he had to contribute to events, so he very wisely kept his mouth shut, allowing Bollux to masquerade as a labour droid without drawing inconvenient glances or questions.

Bollux thanks Spray for his quick action in ejecting them. Spray apologizes; it was a spur of the moment thing and he had to act very quickly to make it happen, and that sort of fast action
    is not his forte; sometimes he makes mistakes. Bollux assures him he bears him no ill will for the little trip.

There is a muted "HAH!" from within Bollux's chest as Blue Max makes his own displeasure known, but he is pointedly ignored.

To work. Han produces the spare components, including the replacement for the fluidics, at which Chewie comes very close to weeping for joy. He gets to work, taking great pleasure at throwing the components -- deliberately installed to make removal easy -- as far as he can from the Falcon. They may have saved his life from the slaver bomb, but he'll be happy never to see any of it again.

Fiolla, Spray, and Bollux in the meantime busy themselves clearing snow from the Falcon's cockpit and main thrusters so the ship can take off easily.

They are almost done -- the only thing left is to connect the hyperdrive, but at this point sensors go off. We have three small dots appraoching very fast. They can only be pursuit craft, and they are homing on ... what? How?

A quick check reveals that the flier's tranceiver has been keyed on , acting as a beacon. Han immediately suspects Fiolla, who protests her innocence. But they don't have time for this. After a quick discussion, in which Chewbacca indicates Spray's a passable flier but not a great one, Han has him take the con of the ship while he and Chewbacca occupy the gun turrets; they can't flee without hyperdrive but they do have a pretty good chance of outfighting three fighters IF Han and Chewbacca are in the turrets. Spray agrees; he claims never to have fired a weapon in his life. Seems a bit surprising, given his profession.

Spray takes the controls ; being nearsighted, he is forced to fly on instruments but he still is fairly competent. "Just keep shields up and try to angle with their attack runs", Han instructs him. "And try to preserve her resale value, if that inspires you. Otherwise, nothing fancy. Just leave the rest to us."

Han and Chewie enter the turrets and prep them for fight; as they do, Han tells Chewie there will be the usual stakes for this fight -- whoever gets the most kills wins; kills in the Money Lane -- the overlapping region where both turrets converge and may prove a weak point -- count double.

Weapons ready, prayers said, the chapter ends with Spray screaming "They're on us!" over the intercom as the fighters dive on the Falcon

Things seem to be coming to a crisis fairly quickly. These slavers really are well-informed and very, very fast to jump our heroes so quickly. Surely the enemy has more in store than just three fighters?

Well, the warm-up fight will be next chapter and then , perhaps, we'll see the main event. Look forward to it!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Surely the enemy has more in store than just three fighters?
    If I was forced to guess, I'd say that their need for secrecy is hampering them- they may be uncannily well-informed and powerful, but I sincerely doubt that they'd have the wherewithal to outfight a legitimate (or at least one that's in power) government.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Making a prediction: Chewie will down two out of three, only for Han to dramatically get the third in the money zone at the last minute.

That way fans of both are appeased but there's still dramatic tension in the upcoming scene.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

So, on to Chapter 12!

The Chase; Things get worse
    Spoiler: Chapter 12
    Show

The Falcon is beset by its three pursuers, described as "pinnaces". With the hyperdrive still disconnected , the Millenium falcon cannot outrun them, so are forced to fight.

Actually , this fight takes place entirely in atmosphere. Apparently Brian Daley doesn't know about, or has chosen to forget, the Alan Dean Foster SW novelization which specified a minimum of six planetary diameters before a hyperjump could be safely made. So the Falcon can't run in any event. Still, this makes me feel a bit better about the scene in Ep. VII when they did the same thing.

This vessel has an entry in wookiepedia but no image. Probably because it is closely based on the sailing ship version; something little more than a ship's boat. Fast, maneuverable, fore-and-aft rigged so that it can sail much more closely to win than your typical square-rigger. Pirates of the Caribbean and the Chesapeake in the real world carved out notorious, plunder-filled careers in vessels just like this. Large vessels such as the Queen Anne's Revenge were the exception rather than the rule; they couldn't fit into the many narrow rivers which are the natural hiding place of pirates into the Caribbean; they are large and conspicuous, and they require a large crew which means a smaller share of the loot for everyone. So: Small, fast, light.

The text description goes right along with this: "Perhaps twice the size of the lifeboat Han and Fiolla had stolen. They were fast, heavily armed , and nearly as maneuverable as fighters."

But.. they're not fighters.

I suppose the closest equivalent in the Legends continuity would be the Skipray BlastBoast

or perhaps the XG-1 Assault Gunboat

So now that we know what's coming after us, fight's on!

They start off by lighting up the Falcon's rear aspect with turbolasers causing the shields to buckle.

Han takes quick burst in return, dividing attention between his own sight of the enemy and the computer display, since he "never entirely trusts" computers.

ANACHRONISM NOTE: The Heads-up display so familiar from flight sims was in its infancy in the 1970s; while they were just being put into military aircraft, the unclassified larger world, including the one writing SF, was ignorant of these developments. So the pilots of SF still divide their attention between unmodified plexiglass cockpits and computer monitors below the field of vision such as in this clip (3:07-3:15 approximately).

It represents a significant disadvantage having to take the eyes off the world around you to look at a monitor -- but maybe not in real space, where most engagements won't be fought in visual range anyway? Still, this is space opera, so HUDs for gunfights make sense. Too bad they haven't been developed in the GFFA.

The pinnaces press their attack. Han manages to get a bead on one and scores a partial hit, but these are NOT TIE eyeballs that explode like balloons if you so much as look at them cross-eyed; the Pinnace tanks the hits and evades the rest of the fire. Han screams out the most vile obscenity in his vocabulary: SWINDLER!

What? It's the 1970s and the book is written for kids. Gonna have to wait to the 80s to see language even slightly salty in a PG-13 film (which won't exist for about another 7 years at this point).

Spray reports trouble: The Pinnace's mother craft, probably the same one that hijacked the Lady of Mindor is closing fast, which will only add to their problems.

Han acknowledges. Their shields are in trouble but they have at last gotten the measure of their pursuers. Chewbacca scores first blood, then Han nails the second. The third kill is in the Money Lane, and both turrets fire on it for the kill. Han vigorously disputes the ownership of this final third kill with Chewbacca as they return to the cockpit.

So score this a 2-2 (1.5-1.5 but the half kill counts double, so 2 kills each) tie for our heroes. Chewbacca might disagree, but he's in no position to rip my arms off so too bad.

Han arrives in the cockpit to find that Spray , while flying competently, has flown too high above the mountain ranges, making them easy to detect, too much altitude. The slaver , "easily three times the Millenium Falcon's size, and fast in the bargain."

Han is briefly angry about the lifeboat transceiver being left open -- why would Fiola do that? Won't the slavers kill her as well?

He doesn't have time to follow that thought. The slaver hails and demands surrender. Recognizing the speaker, Han snarls back: "No free meals today, Magg!" Other people may be stupid enough to surrender to these slavers but the only way they'll get Han is by vaporizing him first.

The pirate fires for effect. Han evades the first salvo but at this point the pirate hits him with a tractor beam. Whether they intend to board or simply hold him immobile as an easy target -- a technique seen in the TIE Fighter video game -- Han isn't going to sit still for it. He turns around and charges the pirate, flying right past the tractor projector faster than it can track, kicking out with the turret in arc as he blazes by. Unfortunately, he is not able to evade all the slaver's return fire. Damage lights start winking on across his board.

Han orders Spray below to investigate and do damage control. As he does, assisted by Bollux, Fiolla follows him and asks if his hand still hurts?

Caught off guard, he answers before he has thought it through that yes, it's better ... but how?

Fiolla has been putting two and two together. She saw his mannerisms favoring his hand, and she remembers Han injured the hand of the person who ambushed him at the meeting place back in the spaceport. It was Spray, wasn't it?

Spray sighs and admits defeat. Yes, it was he.

She asks if he is also the one who kicked on the lifeboat transceiver. This he denies. (Do we believe him?). "I hadn't expected things to get quite this far, either; I abhor all this useless violence. This will end soon; your ambitious former assistant is close."

Fiolla warns him that she will tell Han. He responds "I doubt if that would make any difference now, and it's in your best interests, Fiolla, to cooperate with me. Your life has reached a critical juncture."

Bollux looks from one to the other and considers his own options.

But we have other problems at the moment as the slaver comes about and charges the Falcon again. It snaps the tractor on and this time there is no escape. The guns are brought to bear and the Falcon is seconds away from being converted into a gas cloud. Han is preparing one final salvo in defiance when this happens.

A Victory-class star destroyer, IFF transponder reading as Corporate Sector Authority, has entered atmosphere. Yes, this version of the Victory is capable of atmospheric operations. The Falcon is hit by a tractor which makes the slaver's beam feel like a gentle pat; the pirate is tractored as well. A familiar voice broadcasts:

"All personnel in both captive ships remain where you are. Follow all instructions and offer no opposition. Shut down and lock all systems except commo."

The slaver foolishly fires on the VSD, which responds with overwhelming force. Ion cannons apparently don't exist in the Star Wars cannon yet; the resulting turbolaser blasts take off the slaver's turret and wreck their main power plant as well. After that the vessel is quiescent, a dazed prey animal ready to be eaten by the lion, or perhaps a bird hypnotized by the gaze of a snake.

The pirate ship is tractored to the Espo destroyer and a boarding tube is mated on; a combat team of Espos begin to board. Since there is no room for the Falcon at the moment the tractor instead forces it to a landing on the ground. While Han and Chewbacca prepare their personal weapons for a final stand against a boarding party, a safety cage descends from the destroyer, lowered by a utility tractor. It is a basketlike affair with guardrails and an overhead sling for hoist work; in this case it is being used as an impromptu shuttle. The cage touches down next to the Falcon and out steps its only occupant, the man whose voice Han had just heard over comms a few minutes earlier ordering their surrender.

It is Gallandro.

Hard to things can possibly get any worse at this stage. People who were a bit sus earlier prove to be very sus now. It also appears Gallandro is working with the Espos. Han and company have no methods of resisting; how can they possibly get out of this one?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2023-03-09 at 05:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

ANACHRONISM NOTE: The Heads-up display so familiar from flight sims was in its infancy in the 1970s; while they were just being put into military aircraft, the unclassified larger world, including the one writing SF, was ignorant of these developments. So the pilots of SF still divide their attention between unmodified plexiglass cockpits and computer monitors below the field of vision such as in this clip (3:07-3:15 approximately).

It represents a significant disadvantage having to take the eyes off the world around you to look at a monitor -- but maybe not in real space, where most engagements won't be fought in visual range anyway? Still, this is space opera, so HUDs for gunfights make sense. Too bad they haven't been developed in the GFFA.
    Didn't the Headhunters have HUDs in the first book?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Didn't the Headhunters have HUDs in the first book?
    I just reread the chapter in the last book. No. There's not one word about that. They mention short-range sensors in the cockpit, but those could easily mean screens below the 360 bubble canopy the vehicle is mentioned as having.

Remember the X-wings in Star Wars IV don't have HUD's -- the officers need to get a great big mechanical display to slide in front of their eyes like a humongous eyepatch. Is it likely that a criminal group flying surplus vehicles has better technology than the Rebel Alliance has at Yavin IV?

I think not.

ETA: Maybe comics or whatever written later show that, but it's definitely not there in the original novel.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2023-03-09 at 08:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Is it likely that a criminal group flying surplus vehicles has better technology than the Rebel Alliance has at Yavin IV?

I think not.

ETA: Maybe comics or whatever written later show that, but it's definitely not there in the original novel.
    The scene in question from Han Solo At Star's End:
    Han had his flight tighten up their ragged formation. “Stay in pairs. If the bandits offer a head-on pass, take them up on it; you can pitch just as hard as they can.” He thought it better not to mention that the other side had a longer reach, however.

He had Five and Six, the brothers, drop far back to field any enemies that might break through. The two remaining elements spread out as much as they could without risking separation. Their sensors and those of the approaching ships identified one another, and complex countermeasures and distortion systems switched on. Han knew this engagement would be conducted on visual ranging; all the complicated sensor-warfare apparatus tended to cancel out, no longer to be trusted.

Short-range screens painted four blips. “Go to Heads-Up Displays,” Han ordered, and they all cut in their holographics. Transparent projections of their instrumentation hung before them in the canopy bubbles, freeing them of the need to divert their eyes and attention from the task of flying in order to take a reading.
    And later in the dogfight:
    Cannon blasts streaked by over the canopy bubble, barely missing. Man, this Espo can really latch, Han told himself. But he has a few things left to learn. School ain’t over yet.

He rammed the stick into the corner for a pushover and began a power dive. The IRD hung in but couldn’t quite draw a bead on him. Han pushed the Headhunter to its limits, ducking and slipping as the Espo pilot raked at him. The snub’s engines moaned, and every particle of her vibrated as if desiring to fly apart. Han jostled, watching his Heads-Up Display for the reading he wanted. The IRD’s shots ranged closer.

Then he had it. He began pulling out of his dive, nosing up slowly and dreading the shot from behind that would end all his problems and hopes.
    Given that PT-era tech tends to be better in certain respects than OT-era tech (thanks to the PT being written later) - it actually makes sense that Clone Wars era fighters would have them, and that these are Headhunters from that era (though the wings are slightly different from the ones on the ships used by the clones themselves, being swing-wing).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2023-03-10 at 01:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

The scene in question from Han Solo At Star's End:

And later in the dogfight:

Given that PT-era tech tends to be better in certain respects than OT-era tech (thanks to the PT being written later) - it actually makes sense that Clone Wars era fighters would have them, and that these are Headhunters from that era (though the wings are slightly different from the ones on the ships used by the clones themselves, being swing-wing).
    Okay, I must have missed that part. So they had some form of HUD, but we don't see that in the Falcon's gunnery or on-screen, probably because the technology of the era does not allow it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

28. - Top - End - #238

The Falcon being a freighter rather than a snubfighter might be part of the reason - if only Headhunters are seen using them in the novels. X-wings and TIEs not being seen with them could be rationalised as "The Empire prefers no-frills fighters - and the company building the X-wing was originally doing it for the Empire"

The out-of-universe reason being that Lucas hadn't heard enough about HUDs to try and use special effects to simulate them.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

The Falcon being a freighter rather than a snubfighter might be part of the reason - if only Headhunters are seen using them in the novels. X-wings and TIEs not being seen with them could be rationalised as "The Empire prefers no-frills fighters - and the company building the X-wing was originally doing it for the Empire"

The out-of-universe reason being that Lucas hadn't heard enough about HUDs to try and use special effects to simulate them.
    Or , again, how he would emulate it on-screen with 1979 computer technology. The personal computer, the Apple IIe, had just come out in 1977. Forget VGA or EGA graphics, even CGA 4-color monitors are about ten years in the future this point. What we're seeing on-screen in ANH are vector graphics for the targeting computer and the gunsights. Those monitor displays probably had to be created on mini- or mainframe computers in the 1970s, and computer hours at the time were not cheap. raster graphics in which we see pictures created by specifying the individual pixels wouldn't be available until ... the mid-80s, I think?

So that would explain why we see computer monitors in fighter cockpits from 1970s SF instead of HUDs ; the ability to portray it in a hollywood movie was simply not available at that period in history, even if the film-makers knew it was available. Which I'm not sure they did. I'm not sure Lucas even knew anything about modern fighter aircraft at the time; pretty much all of Star Wars is based around WWII gun-armed piston fighters in space. As I recall, the Trench Run sequence is a more-or-less direct lift of The Dambusters.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Chapter 13
    To escape the impossible trap

Spoiler
    Show

At the end of the last chapter the Falcon was trapped on the surface of the planet by a Victory-Class star destroyer and its tractor beam. It has lowered a hoist which Gallandro has ridden down.

He asks Han if this is any way to greet the man who just saved his life. He demands Han open his main hatch and come out with his passengers.

Han considers the possibilities. He is under far too many guns to consider resistance (seems a bit of a change for him -- he's always been the "never take me alive, copper!" type). He considers taking Fiolla hostage, but he wouldn't really kill her in cold blood, and Gallandro is extremely ruthless. Probably a bad idea.

He goes down to open the hatch and tells Bollux that if he doesn't get back the ship is his -- provided Interstellar Collections doesn't grab it first. Business has been horrible lately.

As they step out. Gallandro looks him in the eye and reminds Han that he warned him there would, perhaps, be another occasion.

The invitation is obvious, but Han declines; he's willing to believe Gallandro is at least his equal with a gun -- we've discussed this. He'll file that as an option for later.

Gallandro picks that up from his expression, and allows him to keep his blaster , in case he changes his mind. But don't do anything abrupt without clearing with Gallandro first; the VSD gunners are twitchy.

Man, this guy really wants a shootout with Han. I guess we've touched him in the testoterone; like the Dragonball Z character, he is obsessed with proving he's the best.

The others file out. Fiolla gets a perfunctory nod, but Gallandro is effusive in his greetings to Spray, whom he addresses as Odumin .

Odumin? Odumin? The territorial manager?

Yup, that Odumin, who returns Gallandro's greeting as "old friend".

And now the denouement starts. This reminds me of the end of a detective novel, when Hercule Poirot spells out every detail of the case. Only this case Han is a rather goofy bystander who has been acting as a pawn for Odumin for almost the entire story.

Odumin, it seems, really did start out as a skiptracer, but he uses go-betweens now instead, to hide his own involvement.

It all started, for Odumin's perspective when Han showed up on Bonadan and showed up at Zlarb's meeting place. Han was impersonating a slaver, so Odumin thought he was one. So when Han went to the warehouse alone, Odumin improvised with glove and an industrial solvent that could double as an anesthetic to make an arrest, all by himself. It didn't work. After he broke contact with Han, Gallandro, who was working closely with Odumin, had found Han's true identity and warned Odumin, who realized Han was innocent -- of slavery, at least. So now for plan 2 -- remember the Eighth Ithnarian gambit? The one where a single combatant is launched at the enemy to disorganize the enemy and provoke a response? That is what happens here. Odumin attaches himself to Han's party and rides along with Han as Han does everything he can to upset the slavers and provoke their attentions, taking their eyes of Odumin and his own investigation.

He "assists" Han at one point -- the Mor Glaydd's records are critical to both their investigations. So he it was who instructed Gallandro to join up with a rival house on the planet and provoke a duel with the Mor Glayyd, with the firm intent of manipulating Han into acting in the Mor's place, Gallandro backs out, and the Mor Glaydd is in Han's debt. This was necessary because the clans are extremely tight-lipped, and their records are tied to a destruct switch, so the records can only be given voluntarily, not taken in a raid.

Odumin did all this while communicating with Gallandro on the stranded Falcon. He acknowledges that he was able to ensure enough uninterrupted time for this conversation by causing the stampede which almost killed Chewbacca; he'd spooked the animals with a flare gun. He apologizes for this. He also notes that ground techs for house Reesbon, the rival house, and keyed on the transceiver on the craft Han and Fiolla used to find the Falcon, allowing the slavers to find them --- and the Authority, in turn, to find the slavers.

Fiolla was operating entirely independently, and is exactly what she says he is. Still, she made good progress so she'll be in line for the deputy territorial manager slot which is opening up very soon.

Han snipes at Gallandro: "So you're just another hired gun? An errand boy on the authority's chain?"

Gallandro responds: "You've got a lot of time to put in before you're ready to pass judgement on me, Solo, whereas I've been in your place already. I've done it all, but I got tired of waiting to die in some senseless manner. So I've given up sleeping with one eye open, and in return I've got a future. Don't be surprised if you feel this way yourself, somewhere down the line."

So what next ?

Odumin isn't going to let them go, but offers leniency in court.

Leniency? For the man who killed the Authority vice president for security and destroyed their prison? The only "leniency" he'll get is a painless death.

Odumin looks uncomfortable about this. Gallandro says that Han and company will be flying the Falcon back, under his supervision. Odumin is a little worried about this, but Gallandro reminds him that he works for Odumin under only certain conditions. Odumin finally agrees, telling Gallandro to get Zlarb's data plaque.

The tractor beam is released. As the ship begins to take off, Han goes down to find Zlarb's package -- to find the security device on it has been armed. Bless that wookie, he's so smart!

Taking the case in his left hand, he hands it over to Gallandro , who takes it in his right. At this point, Han triggers the security device.

There is an immense electric shock that jolts both men.

Han, however, has been jolted in his left arm, so his gun hand is still free. He draws his blaster. Gallandro, whose gun arm is now paralyzed, realizes he stands no chance against Han with his off-hand, and folds, allowing his blaster to be taken.

While Chewie keeps an eye on Gallandro, Han looks out the hatch and notes Fiolla and Odumin boarding the hoist. They'd make wonderful hostages if -- if! -- there was anything he could do. But only engines and commo are active. All other systems are shut down, as dictated by the surrender terms.

Blue Max points out there's more way to move cargo than with tractors. Han takes the cue and, with some fancy flying, hooks the Hoist over the Falcon's front mandibles -- those funny forks in front -- and takes off, carrying Odumin and Fiolla with him!

Gallandro, who was body pressed by Chewie to prevent any interference, acknowledges that Han has the advantage. Odumin is quite reasonable and will agree to any reasonable terms.

Han tells him to get started on the commo board and talk to the destroyer as they discuss Han's terms -- unconditional release, and ten thousand credit which he's still owed.

Gallandro complies and suggests the duel again -- with his blaster drained of all but a microcharge if it makes Han feel better. Han responds: "You pay to see those cards, Gallandro; you folded."

That's from poker, five-card draw, for any readers who are puzzled by this. People bet on the cards in their hand , and continue raising the pot until either someone quits -- folds -- or the players call, the hands are revealed, highest hand wins.

If a player folds, they don't get to see the other cards and will never know whether the cards really were a better hand -- or just a bluff.

Han thanks Chewie for having the sense to set on Zlarb's security device and gets a puzzled bark in reply ; Chewbacca wasn't the one who did it.

The wheels turn in Han's hand and he realizes there is only one person who knew where that case was, and therefore is responsible for saving both Han and Chewbacca.

Y'know? I've read and reread this story repeatedly but it's only this time I finally realize who they're talking about: Fiolla. Han told her several chapters ago the case was hers if something happened to him, and he had told her where the case was; if Odumin knew where it was, surely he'd have taken it already.

So it's Fiolla who got them out of this jam. He looks at her through the cockpit and mouths, where she can see it, you are one sharp future senior board member.

She laughs, and Han adds an additional condition to the release .. he'll need some additional alone time with Fiolla.

And, with Ten thousand credits and post-adventure sex all set up, we wrap the book!

That was... disappointing compared to the last book. I feel as if Han spent most of the story manipulated by someone else, like in some games where everything you do until the final boss battle serves the final bosses purposes, secretly. He only really turned it around at the end , and that ending seemed... abrupt. Surely he couldn't have got away with that if the Authority figures weren't co-operating to let him go? That's the only explanation I can think of -- some half-baked hostage scheme like that had no reasonable chance of actually working, certainly not so well as it did.

It feels ... it feels ... like it was only half a book. As if there should have been more story before the conclusion was reached. Almost as if Brian Daley said "meh, hit max word count" and just flat ended the story at that point.

Ah well. Hopefully the next book is better! And hopefully we'll see more of Gallandro!

Respectfully,

Brian P.