New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Goblins XIX: New Year, New Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    On one hand, Dies story has always been my favorite. That has to do with character dynamics (although K'sseliss's death changed a lot of that), but also the fact that the group didn't have an annoying wacky character along the lines of Minmax and Vorpal, and that the group didn't destroy immersion by dropping "we're all players and none of this is actually real" panels.

On the other hand, the quality of the story has sharply declined since we last saw these guys, and I'm afraid of how that will affect them.
    I wonder if Ellipsis even remembers how to write these characters or if we're going to see them behaving more wacky and suchlike because it's been so long since she wrote anything else? The 'scwillion' thing doesn't fill me with confidence...

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

On the other hand, the quality of the story has sharply declined since we last saw these guys, and I'm afraid of how that will affect them.
    There's a lot of potential to work with here. Dies' son, the rogue klik who feeds on blood. Fox still coming to terms with the absolute nature of fate and destiny after all these years - she hasn't really had time to unpack the trauma there. Biscuit adapting to a new era after centuries of forced servitude to a demon. Presumably getting chased by Duv, since this whole situation has only lasted a few days so there's no way she's had time to process losing her other wing. And of course the possible revelation that Dies Horribly is actually named that because he's horrible at dying - meaning he can't actually be killed off easily.

And there's grief at the loss of Chief, which Dies has only recently heard about. The continued loss of both Grem and K'Seliss, and more. This group has seen some layers of hell that Complains isn't even going to touch on in his journey, they deserve some serious storytelling for a bit.

But if the story can't pull that off, then.....
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2024-06-12 at 10:13 PM.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I haven't reread things in a long long time but I do feel like being serious has gotten less and less well executed over the 12 years since we last saw this group. That's not to say that there aren't serious moments but the comic tends to whiplash back and forth between some pretty horrific concepts to being a silly frivolous story... It always did go between the two but my memory of it was that it was better executed. Or maybe it's just been running so long that I have matured and my critical eye for the things I read is more discerning... I don't have the patience to go back and read from the start to find out though

4. - Top - End - #424
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    And of course the possible revelation that Dies Horribly is actually named that because he's horrible at dying - meaning he can't actually be killed off easily.
    We really do not need to keep looking for explanations for what was already explained.

(Ellipsis even spelled out that Dies' death at the hands of the demon was the horrible death of his name prophecy, not that it should have needed spelling out.)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    We really do not need to keep looking for explanations for what was already explained.

(Ellipsis even spelled out that Dies' death at the hands of the demon was the horrible death of his name prophecy, not that it should have needed spelling out.)
    I, for one, hadn't picked that up :D

Anyway. That was a reasonably fast update. Let's see what's this newfangled fanged creature.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Wait did these three not notice the world turning hellish or was that entirely local to the main group?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait did these three not notice the world turning hellish or was that entirely local to the main group?
    It may not have happened yet in their timeline. Think pulp fiction where we see multiple separate groups going through the same day or two. Eventually it all synchs back up to the robbery at the diner. That being said, Dies, really? You literally just gone done dealing with a bloodthirsty shape shifting abomination. WHY ARE YOU FEEDING ANOTHER ONE?! I know it will probably be one of those things where its a loyal pet that saves him in some way, probably dying in the process but still.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dies is a "monster" too, as a goblin. He probably doesn't think along those lines in the first place, just using a more straightforward "is it attacking me yes/no" judgement.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The better question is: why do those who only complain about this webcomic keep reading it and posting about it?
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    The better question is: why do those who only complain about this webcomic keep reading it and posting about it?
    Hope it gets better/sunk cost fallacy/still want to see how it ends.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

11. - Top - End - #431

ClericGuy

But Dies didn't stay dead. That's my point. There's a distinct possibility that he goes into other situations now where he gets "killed" but then comes back. Meaning he doesn't stay dead, no matter how many times he dies.

If the author says that this one death was the only one in Dies Horribly's fate, then fine, that throws this out the window, but all the previous prophecies fulfilled have been obscure or with double and triple meanings. So you can't really blame people for looking for convoluted additional explanations that could also make sense. Ellipsis set the precedent.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    If the author says that this one death was the only one in Dies Horribly's fate, then fine, that throws this out the window, but all the previous prophecies fulfilled have been obscure or with double and triple meanings.
    What previous prophecies? The only prophecy I remember being fulfilled was when Forgath died at the hands of another dwarf with a lot of screaming. Young-And-Beautiful saw something of an "if X, then Y" nature with regard to Thaco being chief, which she averted, for good or ill. The adventurers did attack the goblin warcamp and had exactly the stats she saw for them, including Minmax being a massive cheater. Where are these numerous other prophecies which set a precedent for wordplay-based meanings?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm almost afraid to ask, because I really did not care for that arc, but does anyone remember what the deal is with all the transparent body parts the orc and Dies have?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #435

They're marked because they made a deal with a demon. (Dies' deal destroyed the demon.)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

They're marked because they made a deal with a demon. (Dies' deal destroyed the demon.)
    IIRC because the deal was for one soul, but the demon also took Dies' arm.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #437

ClericGuy

What previous prophecies? The only prophecy I remember being fulfilled was when Forgath died at the hands of another dwarf with a lot of screaming. Young-And-Beautiful saw something of an "if X, then Y" nature with regard to Thaco being chief, which she averted, for good or ill. The adventurers did attack the goblin warcamp and had exactly the stats she saw for them, including Minmax being a massive cheater. Where are these numerous other prophecies which set a precedent for wordplay-based meanings?
    I didn't say "numerous", just to be clear, but here you go:

Saves-a-Fox was prophesized to save a fox, and she thought killing it broke the prophecy. Then we learned about Sunset Fever, and that she saved it by giving it a mercy kill.

And we've seen the meaning for a couple of the prophesies that Vorpal has made already: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21
    • "the ears will not hear" - Big Ears cutting his ears off.
    • "Levels are gained outside of time" - since this is after the Maze of Many, it's referring to the levels gained from confronting the Goblin Angel and surviving her trial.

There are plenty of times throughout the comic where things aren't what they seem. Even from the very beginning, "drop your assumptions and see the truth" has been a recurring theme - from the original warcamp, to Brassmoon City, to the Bloodlight Dungeon, to the Maze of Many. Very few things have turned out as one would have expected them to based on assumptions of how things are "supposed" to be looked at. That should reasonably include prophecies as well. And it's not unreasonable to think that prophecy can be fulfilled in a way that's ongoing, rather than as "criteria met and done."

But again, all this is moot if Ellipsis has said that Dies' one single death was all there was to that prophecy.
    ~Robin McKinley

18. - Top - End - #438

Let's see...

The dwarf cries no more: Forgath's death.
    The ears will not hear: likely as already said Ears doing his thing instead of what he's told (for example, ripping his ears off or following Names)
    The levels are gained outside of time: the angel.
    She saw but misunderstood the name is not right: Kin doesn't understand why her ime shows KEN.
    The hammer awaits: there was a hammer containing a pure soul (hammer of Prissan?), that's probably the one
    Another leg lost: the Orc is going to lose his other leg.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Let's see...

The dwarf cries no more: Forgath's death.
    The ears will not hear: likely as already said Ears doing his thing instead of what he's told (for example, ripping his ears off or following Names)
    The levels are gained outside of time: the angel.
    She saw but misunderstood the name is not right: Kin doesn't understand why her ime shows KEN.
    The hammer awaits: there was a hammer containing a pure soul (hammer of Prissan?), that's probably the one
    Another leg lost: the Orc is going to lose his other leg.
    The Hammer of Jale, if I remember correctly. It's the "trapped angel" equivalent to the Axe of Prissan. I don't think the hammer has ever been mentioned in-comic though. It was brought up in supplementary material detailing some of the alternate versions seen in the Maze of Many. The implication was that it doesn't exist in the universe the comic plays in, but that might have been me misinterpreting something.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    For me Goblins is a comic where some things are done very well, really really well, and other things are, well, almost unique in their deviation from more commonly applied ways of storytelling or even standards of professionalism.

It's like reading a comic where most pages are just genuinly good, but ones every ten to twenty of those pages one of then has been replaced with footage from a slow motion train crash I just can't look away from. And the next one might be part of the same train crash, or an entirely new one, or even two previous crashes flowing together in a head on collision.

It's honestly probably better than an actual hate read/watch, because every time a sudden characterization flipflop or an overly gory pointless dramatic loss or a jarring non-consentual sex joke or a regularly scheduled plea for way too much donation money makes you want to put the comic away you've just gotten through an actually good section of comic that you don't want to see ruined, so the hate is just so much more intense.

No, I'm not sure how much of this I'm serious about either. But if I had a therapist I'm pretty sure I could keep him listening to me talking about Goblins for an entire session if I was looking to avoid talking about any actual issues.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

21. - Top - End - #441

The Hammer of Jale, if I remember correctly. It's the "trapped angel" equivalent to the Axe of Prissan. I don't think the hammer has ever been mentioned in-comic though. It was brought up in supplementary material detailing some of the alternate versions seen in the Maze of Many. The implication was that it doesn't exist in the universe the comic plays in, but that might have been me misinterpreting something.
    The flea demon mentioned something about the hammer https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/09182016-2

22. - Top - End - #442

The Saves-A-Fox one does indeed qualify.

(For all the others, I would dispute either 1) that that is obscure or a double meaning, or 2) that it fulfils the prophecy at all; I hope "the ears will not hear" is not simply "Big Ears will have to self-mutilate, in a way that won't actually even damage his hearing," and since time continued to pass normally while the goblins were dealing with the angel that's not "outside of time." But one is enough for me to agree that it is something Ellipsis does.)