New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XIX: New Year, New Updates

The Minimax Forgath reunion went better than I expected. I...don't get what new chief is so existential about?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    The Minimax Forgath reunion went better than I expected. I...don't get what new chief is so existential about?
    He's worried about the fact that he's turning into a demon.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I think he's also trying to be over-angsty/melodramatic on purpose, but the bit ruined his moment. Attempted edgelord interrupted by comedic interlude.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I do wonder if him turning more demonic is actually going to have any real effect in the long run. Goblins' tends to change the appearance of characters left and right all the time, so I never know if it's just another little visual change or if there's more planned with stuff like the demonic shifting.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I do wonder if him turning more demonic is actually going to have any real effect in the long run. Goblins' tends to change the appearance of characters left and right all the time, so I never know if it's just another little visual change or if there's more planned with stuff like the demonic shifting.
    I'm guessing he might get wings, and this might bring him into conflict with whatshername the winged goblin saviour lady and it turns out that just as THAC0 was meant to be chief his son was meant to be uberchief.

Plus we'll probably find out that this means Complains is rocking PC stats plus the bonus for being chief plus whatever the Fiendish template gives you, and he'll think he's lost his soul but hasn't got some reason. Goblins trends towards ridiculous power boosts almost as much as appearance changes.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-16-2023
    First time I actually like Complains. Kudos.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

After the last couple of updates, I wasn't expecting a finished, full-color page to show up like this. It kinda feels like this comic is back on track, but who knows if that'll last.

Also, the cast remembers there was a plot and things they were supposed to be concerned about! Win-win!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    It kinda feels like this comic is back on track
    Yeah, my feeling exactly. It's a pretty pleasant feeling at that.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    ...and back to the misery...

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    ...and back to the misery...
    Except if:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He now has a more or less direct way to create a portal to Hell
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Except if:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He now has a more or less direct way to create a portal to Hell
    Plane shift perhaps? Maybe he is demon enough for banishment to work and send him with the axe to hell?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Plane shift perhaps? Maybe he is demon enough for banishment to work and send him with the axe to hell?
    He might count as a native outsider, so Banishment might not work. I can't remember my 3.0 creature types and subsets, so I can't remember if demons get plane shift as standard (I don't think they do, but do get Teleport Self+50lbs).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Halfling in the Playground

Y'know, it is starting to seem like the angel was making stuff up when she said Complains would make a good Chief.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe standards for goblin chiefs just aren't that high. I mean, the only other two we've actually seen in the comic are Chief and Duv, and they weren't excellent at the job either.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Y'know, it is starting to seem like the angel was making stuff up when she said Complains would make a good Chief.
    Unfortunately he's still basically an angry teenager who's not listening to advice from his advisors (i.e. the rest of the party). Once he matures he'll a much, much better chief, likely almost as good as THAC0 would be.

Also isn't the Fortune Teller meant to be involved in prayers? I'm sure it's Fumbles who did it before.

Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    Maybe standards for goblin chiefs just aren't that high. I mean, the only other two we've actually seen in the comic are Chief and Duv, and they weren't excellent at the job either.
    Chief was actually prophesied to be a bad chief, though.

For the first book, when Complains was the one pointing out the ridiculous and artificial restrictions the goblins lived under and planning out actually effective ways of fighting the adventurers, I would have gone "well, duh" at the suggestion that he'd be an amazing chief. Unfortunately, in the time between then and the angel actually saying as much, Ellipsis entirely dropped that aspect of the setting and flanderized Complains from "complains about things that are manifestly stupid" to "just complains constantly with or without an actual reason, usually without."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

And now he's actually dumb enough to accidentally turn himself into a demon and finishing opening the way for the uber demon? Maybe E got tired of doing the comic and decided to skip to the end!

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    She did admit to being high at the time, after all...
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Chief was actually prophesied to be a bad chief, though.
    Was he? I thought he just wasn't going to be the kind of great chief Thaco would have been, and admittedly, he does seem to have been below average. But I don't think it was actually foretold he would be bad, per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    For the first book, when Complains was the one pointing out the ridiculous and artificial restrictions the goblins lived under and planning out actually effective ways of fighting the adventurers, I would have gone "well, duh" at the suggestion that he'd be an amazing chief. Unfortunately, in the time between then and the angel actually saying as much, Ellipsis entirely dropped that aspect of the setting and flanderized Complains from "complains about things that are manifestly stupid" to "just complains constantly with or without an actual reason, usually without."
    Yes, that's true. Personally, I do find the incidents of Complains grabbing the axe stupid and contrived. I'm just not sure it's enough to put him in 'bad chief' territory, at least relatively speaking.

21. - Top - End - #261

The whole prophecy about chief (can be found here: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/02102006) makes zero sense.

Chief was an infant at the time his father, the previous chief, died; and yet, there were enough goblins who thought Chief should lead due to his bloodline that it would have resulted in civil war if Chief hadn't become chief at that point. As a newborn! But somehow, the decline of the clan is his fault, not the fault of the idiots who put an infant in charge.

Also, the prophecy said that there was a goblin destined to lead the clan to glory (we know that was Thaco). But if Thaco had become chief, the resulting civil war would have been the end of the clan. Those can't both be true at the same time. How do you lead a clan to glory if your leadership means its demise?

The whole story about how Chief became chief is complete bollocks. The question is, is it bollocks within the story, i. e. it's not actually the truth, and we've yet to find out what really happened? Or is it bollocks because Elli didn't think this through at all?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    The whole prophecy about chief (can be found here: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/02102006) makes zero sense.

Chief was an infant at the time his father, the previous chief, died; and yet, there were enough goblins who thought Chief should lead due to his bloodline that it would have resulted in civil war if Chief hadn't become chief at that point. As a newborn! But somehow, the decline of the clan is his fault, not the fault of the idiots who put an infant in charge.

Also, the prophecy said that there was a goblin destined to lead the clan to glory (we know that was Thaco). But if Thaco had become chief, the resulting civil war would have been the end of the clan. Those can't both be true at the same time. How do you lead a clan to glory if your leadership means its demise?

The whole story about how Chief became chief is complete bollocks. The question is, is it bollocks within the story, i. e. it's not actually the truth, and we've yet to find out what really happened? Or is it bollocks because Elli didn't think this through at all?
    IIRC, the more literally you describe a prophecy/see the future, the more its like looking at the sun. Presumably that is the prophecy as filtered through metaphor, allegory and poetry, with the gist of it being "Thaco is the better chief, but if it wasn't Chief then there would be Big Trouble."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think the story really treats it as being Chief's fault. Thaco even praises him later on for bravely doing the best he could. Naturally, he does blame himself, but that's just his personality.

Well, it could have been a glorious civil war.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

It could be that the clan would have been destroyed but Thaco would hae lead goblinkind to glory afterward.

But also, that's the only time in the comic we hear of an "if A then B but if C then D"-type of prophecy. Every other time what'd prophesied will happen, no ifs or buts.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #265

If I thought Ellipsis had thought it through that much, I'd expect to learn that Thaco was just plain supposed to be chief, but Young-And-Beautiful also saw that he would do things she didn't like, so she made up something to claim the new chief had to be someone she saw doing whatever she said.
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-11-30 at 07:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

New page already, but it's in about three different stages of production at the same time. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-18-2023
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

All the same, two pages within a span of three days is pretty amazing.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Guess someone really wants to milk their patrons :P

I'll also note that this page still remains as it was. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-9-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All the same, two pages within a span of three days is pretty amazing.
    Is her Patreon still set to per-comic? This feels like rent was due and she was a bit short.

Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I don't know, I could totally be wrong, but I could see this one staying this way on purpose, if it looks like this for meta reasons. Black and white like the original pages, with a panel of color just to identify everyone for those unclear, and then devolving into a sketchy look as reality unravels.

I mean, probably not. It popped up on December 1st so that's probably Patreon goals going ding, but it was my first thought, anyway.