New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2023 edition!

Forgot I made 3 different entries each for 3.5, PF and 3.pf.

Gonna just take a 2nd level of the same class for all 3 entries respectively. Can always rebuild later.
    Last edited by shaikujin; 2023-01-29 at 08:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anything that gives you charm person is probably a winner in modern society. I might take a level in psion.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Not as invested in this as I once was, but I'll still play. I'll take a third level of druid. As my feat, I'll take Southern Magician. Assuming Mulhorand and Unther correspond to Ancient Egypt and the Great Mesopotamian civilizations, I should qualify as a Mulan human.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2023-01-29 at 01:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Just a typo. I'll fix it when I get a chance.
    Thanks for the reply!

In that case, here's my yearly post:

I'll dip Cloistered Cleric for one level, aiming to take Dweomerkeeper next year.

Current: Sha'ir 3/Durthan 1/Cloistered Cleric 1 (Magic)
    HP: 29 (rolled) Initiative: +7 BaB: +1 Melee: +0 Ranged: +2 Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +11
    Stats: Str 8 (12), Dex 9 (13), Con 10 (14), Int 12 (16), Wis 11 (15), Cha 14 (18).
    Skills: Bluff 0 ranks (+7), Concentration 7 ranks (+9), Diplomacy 8 ranks (+16), Knowledge (arcana) 8 (+11), Sense Motive 5 ranks (+12), Spellcraft 8 ranks (+11)
    Feats: Silent Spell, Eschew Materials, Flaw (noncombatant), Improved Counterspell, Flaw (vulnerable), Iron Will, Craft Wondrous Item (DMG2 Signature Trait: Fashionable), Lore (+4), Turn Undead 7/day, Healing Devotion, Knowledge Devotion
    Special: Summon Gen Familiar, Recognize Genie Works, Place Magic.
    Spells known:
    • Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Launch Item, Light, Mending, Prestidigitation
    • Disguise Self, Charm Person, Scholar's Touch, Unseen Servant
    • Alter Self, Master's Touch (PBH II)

Divine Spells prepared:
    • Create Water, Guidance, Purify Food and Drink
    • Endure Elements, Sanctuary, Magic Aura

Languages: Common, Terran. Familiar: Earth Gen.
    Gear: Possum Pouch, Shiftweave, Helpful Headband, Amazing Amulet, Glorious Glove, Belt of Magnificence (+4), Shawl of Bewitching (grants +5 to Bluff and +1 enchantment CL), Slippers of Spider Climbing (Spider Climb up to 10min a day). Fortifying Bedroll (once every 38 hours, get a night's sleep in one hour!).
    Familiar's Gear: Spidersilk Pendant (casts Web 1/day at CL 3).

Personal item descriptions:
    • Helpful Headband : +5 Sense Motive, +5 Spot against Disguises, CL 4 Hat of Disguise. Current item value is 13 950gp.
    • Amazing Amulet : Amulet of Tears that also grants an untyped +2 Diplomacy and -2 Bluff, as well as a terrible 3/day sanctuary effect I won't ever be using. Current item value is 3 950gp.
    • Glorious Glove (Bonded Item) : This +1 Morphing (can become a poison ring) Warning (+5 insight to Initiative) gauntlet bestows a +1 initiative bonus. It also senses any creature within 120 feet who intends harm to the possessor, mentally alerting her of the danger from an unfriendly creature. (It does not however give any other clue to the identity of the threat). Twice per day as a swift action, it also adds +2CL to a first-level arcane spell cast in the same turn. Current item market value is 21 750gp.

Below is a list of the items I plan to craft this year. I'm going with the 20 XP per level per week formula from previous years, but I'm only spending half of the max amount I could get (so 2600xp) in case I fail to have a lively enough life to reach the optimal XP gain rate. This also lets me use all remaining XP to craft Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale to fund my personal crafting and life. Other posters here seem to be increasingly indiscreet about their magic, so I'll say "**** it" and sell magic items to people willing to pay through the nose for them.
    • I use the DMGII Bonded Item rules to Bond my Glorious Glove. I either use the Ritual of Honor or the Ritual of Magic, depending on who I can find. It's already a +1 gauntlet, and I spend 435 xp to give it Morphing (can become a poison ring) and Warning (+5 insight to Initiative).
    • I then spend most of the rest of the year crafting a Belt of Magnificence (+4) for myself, just for the overall quality of life increases. That's 2000xp.
    • That's all my personal crafting for the year! Any remaining XP goes into Fortifying Bedrolls and Everfull Basins for sale, perhaps alongside Magic Bedrolls or Braziers of Aura Revealing (Magic) to governments. After spending all this time crafting, I'm very ready for Summon Marked Homonculus next level !

Plan:
    Spoiler
    Show

• At level 6 (so in 2024) take 1 level in Dweomerkeeper. Feat should be Least Dragonmark of Making (Make Whole 1/day) to open up Summon Marked Homonculus. +2 Concentration, +1 Diplomacy, +1 Spellcraft.
    • Levels 7, 8 and 9 are also Dweomerkeeper levels. Mantle of Spells choices are Alter Fortune, Celerity. Feat should be Leadership, picking someone I care about as my cohort as Troacctid has confirmed they'll level too when my Leadership cap goes up. At every level, raise Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft by 1. Also spend a cross-class rank in Bluff.
    • Levels 10 and 11 should be Incantatrix, to get optimal Mantle of Spells choices. Take Extend Spell as a bonus metamagic feat. I now no longer need Silent Spell and can retrain it into something like Great Diplomat for an extra cohort. Lose access to Evocation because losing Necromancy means losing Extract Gift and Steal Life, Enchantment is required for Mindbender later, and Illusion's versatility sounds useful during downtime. Take Intimidate now that it's a class skill (if only for easier Mindbender entry later). At every level take 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft, and 2 ranks in Intimidate.
    • Levels 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 are Dweomerkeeper levels. The Supernatural Spells will be useful if/when I get 9ths and can replicate Body Outside Body, and in the meantime they allow me to ignore all those difficult XP and M/F components. Mantle of Spells choices are Greater Dispel Magic, Limited Wish, Polymorph any Object. Take the Divine Defiance feat and the Undead Leadership feat (taking a living cohort, requires Knowledge religion 1). At levels 12, 13, 15, 16 and 17, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy and Spellcraft, as well as a cross-class rank in Bluff. At level 14, take 1 rank in Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (religion) and Spellcraft.
    • Level 18 is Mindbender. Take Mindsight at 18. Take 1 rank in Bluff, 2 ranks in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Spellcraft.
    • Levels 19 and 20 are Incantatrix again. Get a bonus metamagic feat at 20 (Persistent Spell). At each level, take one cross-class rank in Diplomacy, and 1 rank in Concentration and Spellcraft.

Crafting Notes I used to determine costs
    Spoiler
    Show

• According to the MIC, adding a specific magic item's effect to a preexisting specific magic together (except those on MICp234) costs (full price of the added power) + (half of the price of the added power OR half of the price of the existing item, whichever is cheaper). This is the market price, so you'll be halving that number to craft the combined item, as normal. MIC rules for stacking additional properties require me to keep track of the combined item's value, just in case I want to further improve them in the future. To do so, "use the base price of the most expensive item, and 1.5x the base price of all other items. Sum them all together and that's the final cost"?
    • The above rules are for combining items. Improving items simply costs the price difference between the old and new version of the item.

Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2023-01-29 at 05:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

I'm not continuing advancement with this tradition, just popping in because I felt like checking out GitP again lately, and I saw something in the OP that I felt was funny.

3.5e totally has rebuild quests and you absolutely definitely should let people ask for them at around the time that they're eligible to pick up a real prestige class.
    The future is bright.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I would like to take a major bloodline level to add to my cloistered cleric. Probably Silver Dragon.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Elrak View Post
    I would like to take a major bloodline level to add to my cloistered cleric. Probably Silver Dragon.
    I wholeheartedly approve.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Jopustopin has spent a year travelling and doing other odd things. With his passive income stream from his movies and published work, he rarely has to do much to get by. His dreams have gotten worse, driving him to such escoteric places as Giza Egypt, Machu Pichchu in Peru, the various temples in south America.

He throws a massive party in each city! The paparazzi have field days with his decadent ways! His fans wonder... when will he make his next movie???

Then suddenly 2023 starts! He gains a level and it's in....WARBLADE!!! Who saw it coming? He can now immediately end any drunken stupor he finds himself in with iron heart surge!

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Jopustopin
    male middle aged human warblade 5
    CN medium humanoid (human)
    Init -8; Senses spot +1, listen +1
    Languages Common, Ancient Suloise
    AC 11 (+4 armor, -2 Dex, -1 Flaw), Touch 7, Flat-footed 11; Uncanny Dodge
    HP 33/33 (5d12-5)
    Fort +5, Ref -1, Will +4 (Battle Clarity)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee longsword +5 (1d8-1/19-20)
    Ranged dagger +3 (1d4-1/19-20)
    Base Atk +5; Grp +4
    Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 5th):
    • Stances-Bolstering Voice, Punishing Stance
    • Strikes-Stone Bones, Mountain Hammer, Iron Heart Surge
    • Boosts-Sudden Leap
    • Counters-Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of blades

Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 17
    Skills Spellcraft +9, Concentration +7, Jump +6, Tumble +6, Swim, +3, Balance +3, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Martial Lore +2, Profession (Actor) +5, Craft (Alchemy) +4
    Feats Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Otherwordly Countenance (Beauty), Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Iron Will
    Flaws Unreactive, Vulnerable
    Possessions swimming pool, mwk trusty longsword, mwk dagger, mithril chain shirt, Net Worth ($4,026,960 USA)
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

9. - Top - End - #69

(Unsworn) Shaman 3

This is a quiet level - although gaining access to the +4 enhancement bonus spells mean he can start working on crafting the belt of magnificence.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Not as invested in this as I once was, but I'll still play. I'll take a third level of druid. As my feat, I'll take Southern Magician. Assuming Mulhorand and Unther correspond to Ancient Egypt and the Great Mesopotamian civilizations, I should qualify as a Mulan human.
    Forgot to mention: I'd like to take go to ground rather than trackless step, I think.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll take Erudite 2. It's a boring level, but that's how you get to the interesting ones.

EDIT: I’m reviewing Erudite and I think it’s worse than psion and I should’ve just gone regular psion. With the nonelite array, it’s the same powers known, but I don’t have native access to a discipline and I’m stuck with UPPD (which isn’t as bad as if I were an adventurer, but still is a negative). I gain the ability to learn powers from other people, but I don't want to rely on finding other psychic people in real life. I guess I could craft power stones then psyref myself, but I’m trying to avoid things I wouldn’t do in game and that includes psyref.
    Also, by Artificer 2/Erudite 13 I’ll need a way to boost my intelligence to manifest high level powers. One option is taking Artificer 3 for fox’s cunning (and craft wondrous item).
    Last edited by Hish; 2023-04-21 at 12:53 PM.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

12. - Top - End - #72

As usual I will be taking another level of StP Erudite, and leaving all my stat, feat, and skill choices to next year's me.

13. - Top - End - #73

Hm, one thing I'm trying to think on how best to go about is expanding my Sha-Ir spells known. While sure, we can work with the assumption that we can all meet up and thats the easy way to go about it, its still useful to expand on that by other means too.

My initial thoughts are using binding to do so? Since yeah, I think I can just, see myself cast a spell using binding, and as such know what it is to be able to retrieve it. The other step would be summoning spells. I could use summoning spells to get creatures which know spells, and from there I've got those on my spell list too. Ill have to look into getting summon monster spells at later years then I think.

Im trying to think if theres other ways for me to gain spells I'm forgetting. Do Sha'irs get the ability to research spells?

I write homebrew, you can find my collection on my blog here!

14. - Top - End - #74

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    Hm, one thing I'm trying to think on how best to go about is expanding my Sha-Ir spells known. While sure, we can work with the assumption that we can all meet up and thats the easy way to go about it, its still useful to expand on that by other means too.

My initial thoughts are using binding to do so? Since yeah, I think I can just, see myself cast a spell using binding, and as such know what it is to be able to retrieve it. The other step would be summoning spells. I could use summoning spells to get creatures which know spells, and from there I've got those on my spell list too. Ill have to look into getting summon monster spells at later years then I think.

Im trying to think if theres other ways for me to gain spells I'm forgetting. Do Sha'irs get the ability to research spells?
    A lot of the power of the sha'ir comes from existing in a world where magic and spells are commonplace. Without other spells to observe, it's tough to get the broad range of access that sha'irs are known for in gameplay.

That said, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to research spells. The rules for it are governed by page 198 of the DMG, and they say that a spellcaster of any kind can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Do outer planes exist?
    When making your decisions, you would not have any more information on this subject beyond what is in the FAQ.

16. - Top - End - #76

That said, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to research spells. The rules for it are governed by page 198 of the DMG, and they say that a spellcaster of any kind can do it.
    That seems pretty good for me. Looks like I'd have a good thing to spend my time and money on in future throughout the years

17. - Top - End - #77

WhiteWizardGirl

Let's see. I'll be going with the Non-elite array, I should think.
    13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
    Class, Psion (egoist). Change Shape variant (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102.../psm/20070314a). I'm always dissatisfied with my appearance, so this alone would be quite literally life-changing.

9 Strength. I'm already not the strongest, so another little hit shouldn't be too bad.
    11 Dexterity. Being a little less clumsy would be nice.
    8 Constitution. Being more prone to disease would be unfortunate, but it's a sacrifice that must be made. There are some options to mitigate this available in a bit, though, so it's not all bad.
    13 Intelligence. Determines my powers, very useful stat in most modern societies. A slam-dunk.
    10 Wisdom. I'm not the wisest person around, but I don't think I need more as urgently as I need...
    12 Charisma. *Very* important, if not for in-game reasons, being likable is the most important thing. Plus might help with my social awkwardness.

Feats:
    Level 1 feat - Tomb-tainted soul: Not overly helpful yet, but I can rock the Goth aesthetic, I'm pretty sure according to d20 Modern, there's a couple sources of 'negative energy damage' in the modern day, and I can take...
    Human bonus feat - Tomb-born Vitality. Ignore the need for sleep and food? Yes please, I would like to get an extra 8 hours out of every day + not worry about how much sleep I'm getting ever again. The visual downside can be offset with Change shape, too.
    Flaw - Insomniac. Can't sleep. On the other hand, don't need to sleep.
    Feat from Insomniac - Slow Maturation. More time! I need more time!
    Flaw - Noncombatant. -2 on melee attacks. I'm already planning on not getting into any fights.
    Feat from Noncombatant - Able Learner. Alll the skills! ALL OF THEM!
    Trait - Hardy. Fort saves are more likely to come up than Dex saves, and it'd be nice to offset that lowered Con a bit.

Skill ranks: 16 skill points at first level (2 from Psion, 1 from Intelligence)*4 + 4 from human.

Psicraft - 4 ranks. Good to know what I'm doing with this 'psionics' stuff.
    Concentration - 4 ranks. Useful. Not much more to say, being able to focus on things better would be nice.
    Craft: Jewelry - 4 ranks. Fun hobby, can make some money off selling things online. Not needing to sleep should speed up production significantly.
    Diplomacy - 2 ranks. General talky skill. Very useful!
    Use Magic Device - 2 ranks. A special tool that will help us later.

Powers:
    Empathy: Useful in social interaction, sensing hostility, etc.
    Attraction: Useful in social interactions, also more complex uses (get someone to leave me alone by giving them an attraction to coffee, perhaps?)
    Vigor: Ideally, I won't ever want to use this, but if I *do* need to toughen myself up more than my current 3 HP, I'm going to be glad I did.

[Edited because I remembered Flaws were a thing]
    Last edited by Evoker; 2023-02-10 at 02:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Hmm, I'm staring down 2 more levels in Sha'Ir before I go into Anima Mage, but I'm feeling like I really wanna find a way to prestige out for level 2 and 3, or at least 3. Having lower Sha'Ir levels is preferred since that lets me do the Shuffle better. Does anyone have any good ideas what PRC's could be a good idea do to go for, just for a level or two, just to fill before I go into Anima Mage? I've had a look at some available, but a lot of them feel rough, or a bit too late for me to try and get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    Class, Psion (egoist). Change Shape variant (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102.../psm/20070314a).
    Oooh, this is a really cool way to get that. Dang, I feel I shoulda gone for that almost. Nice.

19. - Top - End - #79

Devil

Hmm, I'm staring down 2 more levels in Sha'Ir before I go into Anima Mage, but I'm feeling like I really wanna find a way to prestige out for level 2 and 3, or at least 3. Having lower Sha'Ir levels is preferred since that lets me do the Shuffle better. Does anyone have any good ideas what PRC's could be a good idea do to go for, just for a level or two, just to fill before I go into Anima Mage? I've had a look at some available, but a lot of them feel rough, or a bit too late for me to try and get into.
    You might be able to pull off some early entry shenanigans. Sanctum Spell and Precocious Apprentice are the easiest, Heighten Spell with Easy Metamagic or Earth Spell is less RAW-ambiguous. Sadly, I think there's no corruption so no Mad Faith + Eldritch Corruption for 5th-level spells at level 1.

In theory, I think you could take Apprentice (Soldier), Bind Vestige, Improved Binding, and Heighten Spell at level 1, then at level 2 take a level of Binder and retrain Bind Vestige to Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell). That should let you enter Anima mage at 3.

I'm not sure that works, but it looks good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    You might be able to pull off some early entry shenanigans. Sanctum Spell and Precocious Apprentice are the easiest, Heighten Spell with Easy Metamagic or Earth Spell is less RAW-ambiguous. Sadly, I think there's no corruption so no Mad Faith + Eldritch Corruption for 5th-level spells at level 1.

In theory, I think you could take Apprentice (Soldier), Bind Vestige, Improved Binding, and Heighten Spell at level 1, then at level 2 take a level of Binder and retrain Bind Vestige to Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell). That should let you enter Anima mage at 3.

I'm not sure that works, but it looks good.
    Easy Metamagic is not compatible with Heighten Spell because Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment like other metamagic. It just checks what slot you actually used, and sets it to that level. Generally, unless the metamagic reducer effect you use calls out an interaction with Heighten Spell specifically (as is the case with Eldritch Corruption, or the Naenhoon illumian sigils), they won't combine in the way you want.

In the D&D world, a spell level prerequisite represents the size and complexity of the spells that you can encompass in your mind. So it should be readily apparent that any effect that only heightens spells after you leave your mind—i.e. at the time of casting—will not help you meet those prerequisites. If you can't prepare the spell that way, it definitely won't work, and this is something you should be able to deduce from known information.

21. - Top - End - #81

Devil

Easy Metamagic is not compatible with Heighten Spell because Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment like other metamagic. It just checks what slot you actually used, and sets it to that level. Generally, unless the metamagic reducer effect you use calls out an interaction with Heighten Spell specifically (as is the case with Eldritch Corruption, or the Naenhoon illumian sigils), they won't combine in the way you want.

In the D&D world, a spell level prerequisite represents the size and complexity of the spells that you can encompass in your mind. So it should be readily apparent that any effect that only heightens spells after you leave your mind—i.e. at the time of casting—will not help you meet those prerequisites. If you can't prepare the spell that way, it definitely won't work, and this is something you should be able to deduce from known information.
    If Heighten Spell doesn't have a slot adjustment and the increased slot you cast it at is just a consequence of it being a higher level then it's difficult to understand how you could apply it for free with something like Eldritch Corruption. Also, Easy Metamagic doesn't say anything about slot adjustment, it just says that it lowers the slot required by one level, to a minimum of one higher than the spell's actual level. Heighten Spell references effective level, which isn't necessarily the same as actual level, although who knows, because none of these terms are really defined.

Happily, given what you said about the size and complexity of spells in your mind, which is presumably mechanically represented by spell slots, means that Precocious Apprentice would work, as it gives you an actual 2nd-level spell slot rather than letting you cast a 2nd-level spell from a 1st-level slot.

Sadly, Precocious Apprentice can only be taken at level 1, meaning I'll need two more levels of Wizard in addition to the third level of Erudite I took. I am now very much regretting my life choices, and eagerly awaiting the day I can fully rebuild my character via rituals or level loss or what have you.

Now that I know Sanctum Spell won't work, I'll take Iron Will in anticipation of getting War Magic Study eventually. On the plus side, Iron Will might have actual benefits.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Since the ability to cast 2nd level spells is a prerequisite for getting a spell slot out of Precocious Apprentice, it should be pretty easy to deduce the problem with that method.

23. - Top - End - #83

WhiteWizardGirl

Since the ability to cast 2nd level spells is a prerequisite for getting a spell slot out of Precocious Apprentice, it should be pretty easy to deduce the problem with that method.
    What? Precocious Apprentice says 'You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell' You gain the slot regardless of if you can 'natively' cast 2d level spells, it's just a slot with a specific limitation placed on it.

24. - Top - End - #84

ClericGuy

A second level of Witch.
    Spoiler: Level 1 witch chosen last year
    Show

In reality, I gotta go with a Pathfinder Witch. They have Delay Disease, Diagnose Disease as L1 spells (and only they have delay disease as such) and a healing hex. There's a Harrow card variant (Cartomancer) where my deck of cards is my familiar, basically. That's me, I read tarot sometimes and my gaze-hound doesn't need another animal in the house. For my other starting spells, Jury Rig, Comprehend Languages, Unseen Servant. None of the Patrons thrill me, but I'll go with Endurance, mostly for Endure Elements at L2. Cantrips would be mending, guidance prestidigitation (on my list from 2 world magic, below)

Attributes

Str 11 My carrying capacity is in this range.
    Dex .8 I am a galoot
    Con .9 If this was higher, I might have picked another class.
    Int 14 (12+2 human). My highest stat IRL, no question
    Wis 13 with age comes wisdom. In my 20s, this would have been my 8
    Cha 10 I have skill points in cha skills IRL, but am neither naturally good or bad at this.

Traits: Two World Magic (Prestidigitation is on my spell list), Harrow Chosen (I've got that heirloom deck...but the kind of divinations I do with it aren't short-time-range like Augury, so why not?)

L1 skills - basically stuff helpful for understanding magic, guessing about my patron, healing or my new "natural setting" home.

Heal 1 rank, Kn Nature 1 rank, Kn Arcana 1 rank, Spellcraft 1 rank, Kn Planes 1 rank, UMD 1 rank (hey, a magic item might happen someday in a world that grants levels) (2+2int+1human+1 favored class)

Feats
    Extra Hex (Feral Speech - So I could talk to my dog when he's scared, or I could ask him if he is in pain etc).
    Believer's Boon - Restoration Domain - remove fatigue 1/day. Incredibly useful. Enough to suck up to a healing deity of some kind, possibly that Endurance patron, possibly somebody else.

Hmm....It appears that way back in 2013 I took a level in "Cleric or Druid". I guess it's time to clarify what i did with that level. Pity I can't just retrain it into Witch3.

<EDIT> - it seems I CAN just retrain it to Witch 3. The character sheet below reflects post retraining costs. I have the time and money to do the retraining IRL <end EDIT>

Also I was supposed to apply aging modifiers. So I kinda messed that up. Lets try the stats again, with starting age = "old", and with starting class as I originally chose, which affects trait and feat choices.

Witch3

Each skill has 1 rank devoted to it unless otherwise noted
    .9 Str 12-3 for aging ________1 Any Str Skill
    .6 Dex .9-3 for aging _______ 0 Any Dex Skill
    .8 Con 11-3 for aging
    17 Int 13+2 Human +2 Aging 5 Any Int Skill
    12 Wis 10+2 for aging ______3 Any Wis Skill
    10 Cha .8+2 for aging ______2 Any Cha Skill
    11 Hitpoints 6+2.5+2.5 (witch 2)-3 con +3 favored class Witch

Skills (level on left, ranks spent on right, total = 18 from Witch levels+int+favored class)

This section is more to understand how Witch powers work in Pathfinder logic, vs real world logic I also have all Knowledge skills at +5 via feats, but these seemed like I should invest more.
    7 Kn Nature 1
    7 Kn Arcane 1
    7 Kn Planes 1
    9 Spellcraft 3
    6 Use Magic Device 3
    5 Heal 1
    5 Profession 1 (Witch With Healing Patron)
    5 Profession 1 (Healer)

This is stuff just useful in everyday life. Where else will I so swiftly get expertise in useful professions, even if they have to be Pathfinder style professions? Note that with my feat choices I can do ANY craft skill at a basic 5 level, assuming tools, but professions are only +3.

5 Profession 1 (Cook)
    5 Profession 1 (Tinker) (closest I can get to Handyman)
    5 Profession 1 (Gardener)
    5 Profession 1 (Maid) (for the cleaning skills and organization)
    5 Intimidate 2
    5 Diplomacy to Persuade Others (student of Philosophy)
    5 Bluff to convince others a lie is true (student of Philosophy)

Traits Two World Magic (Prestidigitation on spell list), Student of Philosophy

Feats
    L1+Human Fast Learner, Improvisation
    Do any skill at +2 if no skill ranks, do all trained skills untrained.
    L3 Feat Extra Hex

Witch(Healing Patron) Hexes: Healing Hex, Feral Speech, Prehensile Hair

Spells Known:
    L0 All plus Prestidigitation
    L1 Comprehend Languages, Delay Disease, Diagnose Disease, Jury Rig, Karmic Blessing, Mage Armor, Nature's Paths, Unseen Servant, Remove Fear (Patron)
    L2 Delay Pain, Delay Poison, Lesser Restoration (Patron)

Lesser Restoration means I can ignore fatigue, or repair damage done by disease. Extraordinarily useful. Delay Poison also has its uses beyond the obvious, such as social drinking, or letting somebody with a food allergy get medical aid if they ate the wrong thing. But mostly those two are the same idea as Delay Disease - if I can't fix an actual problem I can mitigate its effects for a few hours. I have a lot of people in my life with chronic pain. It'd be nice to do something about that so they could enjoy an event or gathering or just get something done they need to get done without pain fog.

Familiar is a Scarlet Spider, just to be so small nobody, including my dog, ever notices it. It can stay at home, as I don't normally need +3 to my climb speed or Alertness. Cartomancer pays hexes to function so like all other Witch archetypes it is a non starter. I need my hexes. So I have to accept a familiar.

Prehensile hair...10' reach with 17 D&D strength? And it can exert that force without risking a hernia or back injury? Yes please! It'd be stronger than I was in my prime, much less now.
    Last edited by Seward; 2023-02-19 at 02:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Oooh, this is a really cool way to get that. Dang, I feel I shoulda gone for that almost. Nice.
    My build is a Sha'ir who goes into Durthan early. It's feat-intensive though, you may not be able to enter easily.
    Other easy entry PrCs for Sha'ir are Mystic Theurge (pointless), and Geomancer (neat, skill requirements, physical mutations may be inconvenient in real life).

26. - Top - End - #86

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Hmm....It appears that way back in 2013 I took a level in "Cleric or Druid". I guess it's time to clarify what i did with that level. Pity I can't just retrain it into Witch3. Also I was supposed to apply aging modifiers. So I kinda messed that up. Lets try the stats again, with starting age = "old", and with starting class as I originally chose, which affects trait and feat choices.
    I'll mention that since it seems you're doing Pathfinder, you have access to the Pathfinder rebuilding rules, which I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know that they can be used, unlike 3.5.

27. - Top - End - #87

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    I'll mention that since it seems you're doing Pathfinder, you have access to the Pathfinder rebuilding rules, which I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know that they can be used, unlike 3.5.
    7 days to retrain a class, but I wasn't sure if it was allowed. I'd leave the feat choices in place since the original Witch choices wouldn't have been available, and the new ones have grown on me anyway but yeah, the endgoal of this Witch build is Remove Disease, (with Delay Disease available from level 1 as a stopgap). If I can retrain, I'd go back and change Druid to Witch, choose some L1 Witch skills to replace the Druid skills and pick a couple L2 spells Known, plus Lesser Restoration from the Patron to round out L3.

Ok, from top post

Q: Is retraining allowed?
    A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system
    Ok, the 1 week is no big deal, I'm retired so I could make the time. The 210gp is a bit more of an issue, lets see, at 50 to a pound that's 4.2lb, 61.25 troy ounces. Today's gold prices are 1842.64/ounce or 125kish, which I could actually do but it'd require selling some retirement money to avoid wiping out my cash on hand. However platinum is worth 10gp in Pathfinder so I'd only need 6.125 troy ounces of Platinum, which is only 920/oz and would cost about the same as the shed I'm getting installed next month behind my house. So ok, I could pay that out of my checking account or just charge it on my card so.....I'll go up to the original post and revise the skills and spells known and such.

There also thankfully doesn't seem to be any requirement for a trainer.
    Last edited by Seward; 2023-02-19 at 11:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Ok, the 1 week is no big deal, I'm retired so I could make the time. The 210gp is a bit more of an issue, lets see, at 50 to a pound that's 4.2lb, 61.25 troy ounces. Today's gold prices are 1842.64/ounce or 125kish, which I could actually do but it'd require selling some retirement money to avoid wiping out my cash on hand. However platinum is worth 10gp in Pathfinder so I'd only need 6.125 troy ounces of Platinum, which is only 920/oz and would cost about the same as the shed I'm getting installed next month behind my house. So ok, I could pay that out of my checking account or just charge it on my card so.....I'll go up to the original post and revise the skills and spells known and such.
    By comparing the table on page 204 of the d20 Modern Core Rulebook to the table in the web article here (I couldn't find where it was on the WotC website archives), it seems like 1 gp = $20. Of course, mixing systems is kinda sketchy and ultimately up to Troacctid.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Exchange rates are covered by the FAQ.

30. - Top - End - #90

Devil

Exchange rates are covered by the FAQ.
    The FAQ says to use a reasonable exchange rate, without specifying further on the grounds that it isn't important. Seeing as some people do consider money to be important, I was proposing what I would consider to be a reasonable exchange rate, but I don't know if you consider that to be reasonable. Unless your point was that we shouldn't be thinking about it at all, but personally that would kinda ruin the immersion for me. Of course, I'm assuming that I could use magic to make enough money to cover any costs I might incur, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2023-02-19 at 01:39 PM.