New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default You just gained a level in real life: 2023 edition!

A new year, a new level!

You can choose any class to gain a level in, and you gain the benefits of that level for yourself in real life. What would you choose?

Rules

Before posting, please consult the spreadsheet to double-check whether you have any other levels already! If you participated in this exercise in previous years, you keep the level(s) you had before, meaning you may now be as high as level 8! Those levels are all locked in as of the new year. However, if you didn't post in the thread that year, you did not level up.

Use 3.5e or Pathfinder, whichever you're most familiar with. 3.5e includes Dragon Magazine and official web enhancements. By popular demand, 3rd party material (for either edition) is allowed and counts as a separate, third category. If you're familiar with multiple editions, you can do all of them individually if you like, and have two or three different versions of your build, all of which will be the same level.

As part of gaining your first level, you gain your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), arranged as you like. These scores control your "game" attributes such as spellcasting and skill points, and the associated modifiers will be layered over your real-life abilities to make you stronger or weaker in that stat, as appropriate.

Similarly, any skills and other abilities that you gain from your class levels will be layered on top of whatever you can already do. If you get a bonus to something, you will become that much better at that thing, and if you get a penalty, you'll become that much worse. For example, whatever languages you already speak would be your automatic languages, and if you gain a bonus language due to your Intelligence score, you can learn a new one. If you take the Murky-Eyed flaw in order to gain Endurance as a bonus feat, you'll be a better athlete, but you'll be wanting a new pair of eyeglasses.

As a human, you gain the normal benefits of being a human. In Pathfinder, that includes the ability score bonus, and you can choose variant traits if it suits you. In 3.5e, you can still get the +2 ability bonus to one score by trading away your bonus feat and skill points via the Complacent Human variant. Aging modifiers apply as normal.

The reason we're doing it one level at a time is because part of the fun of the exercise is seeing the gradual payoff of your choices and maybe even changing your mind about some of them and going in a new direction. It also makes it into a fun annual tradition as well.

Bonus points if you stat out a whole character sheet!

Previous threads

FAQ
    Q: Do I model my abilities after my abilities IRL?
    A: No. Arrange your ability scores however you like according to one of the arrays given above. You will then become stronger or weaker or smarter or dumber accordingly.

Q: Do magic abilities work? I mean, magic isn't real, right?
    A: Yes, magic abilities work. Rumors that Earth is a dead magic zone have apparently been grossly exaggerated.

Q: Are other people in the world leveling up too?
    A: Only the people who have posted in this thread.

Q: Will I be leveling up again in the future? If so, when?
    A: Maybe you will and maybe you won't. I guess it depends on whether you post in the thread each year!

Q: Is retraining allowed?
    A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system.

Q: What about rebuilding?
    A: Pathfinder rules allow for rebuilds; 3.5e rules do not.

Q: Am I going to lose any of the skills and abilities I already have and replace them with game statistics?
    A: No. The level you gain is layered on top of everything you can already do, and any modifiers apply to your existing skills as a baseline. You can think of it as a gestalt build if that helps.

Q: Can we assume that reality operates under D&D rules? Like, if I put ranks in Diplomacy, can I now roll a DC whatever check to turn someone Helpful?
    A: No. This is a case of "The map is not the territory." D&D rules are ultimately an abstraction for how things "actually" work in the game world. Real life still plays by real-life rules. More skill points and higher ability scores means you are better at whatever that number represents, but you aren't actually making skill checks or consulting a table to determine your carrying capacity based on your Strength score. Humans in the game all have a speed of 30 feet, but your actual speed will exhibit the normal amount of variance. In the D&D 3.5e, drinking a vial of arsenic will deal you between 0 and 9 points of Constitution damage over the course of 1 minute, and then you're fine—but if you drink a vial of arsenic in real life, you die. And so on.

Q: How do gp costs work?
    A: They use up money or material wealth at a reasonable exchange rate. Specifics aren't important; we're not here to do math. If you like, you can instead give yourself standard WBL for your level and use that as a budget for gp costs. And if you want to use something like Craft or Profession to generate income, see the previous answer about reality operating under D&D rules.

Q: How do xp costs work?
    A: You accumulate xp over time by literally accumulating experiences. Over the course of one year, you can earn xp equal to your level x 1000 at a fairly constant rate of about 20 xp per level per week, provided you spend time living your life and doing meaningful things. You do not gain xp in any other way. The amount of xp you can hold at a time is limited to your level x 1000. (This is based on the xp a character of your level could have in-game.) This is only used for xp costs, not for leveling up; to level up, xp total doesn't matter, you just post in the yearly thread and that's it.

Q: What counts as a meaningful life experience for earning xp?
    A: As long as you're not in a coma, or mindlessly watching TV all day, or whatever, you can expect to get your xp. There is one exception: you cannot earn xp on any day that you spend xp. Activities like crafting will temporarily pause your xp gain until they are completed.

Q: I get that I have to be a human, but can I take a template?
    A: Template classes are fair game as long as you have at least one real class level first. Use savage progression rules for them, even if the template class wouldn't normally work that way. Any template that can't be taken as a template class is probably going to be unavailable, unless you can somehow gain it via class features. For 3.5 characters, you can take UA bloodline levels as if they were a template class: taking 1 bloodline level unlocks the benefit of a minor bloodline, and subsequent bloodline levels upgrade it to the next category up.

Q: What about setting-specific material, or regional requirements?
    A: Assume they are adapted to another, similar requirement that makes sense in our world. Specifics aren't important.

Q: What about inherited powers? Can I take Draconic Heritage even though I'm not descended from dragons?
    A: Much like how you can take sorcerer levels without worrying about your ancestry, any sort of bloodline-related power works fine even if you don't actually have an ancestor who was a dragon, or a fey, or a member of a dragonmarked bloodline, etc. Much like in the game world, these effects are usually inherited but can also represent spontaneously gaining powers due to magical influences.

Q: Is 3.0 material available?
    A: 3.0 psionics is unavailable, as the system for it is defunct. Most other unupdated 3.0 material is probably okay, but may not work as expected due to the changes inherent in the revision. Use it at your own risk.

Q: I have a question about how a particular rules interaction would work under this model.
    A: You can ask in the thread, but here are two general rules of thumb. First, most things work the way they'd be expected to work in an actual fantasy world, so if one interpretation of a rule would conflict with established D&D canon if it were true, and another wouldn't, the latter one is probably correct. (This ties into that "The map is not the territory" principle from a previous answer.) Second, if you would normally have to consult with your DM about how it works, you can assume you don't know the answer as you make your decision—you'd have to try the interaction and find out for yourself. For the purpose of this exercise, I'll act as the referee for such things and adjudicate what would happen.

Q: If I take crafting feats, what items can I craft?
    A: As long as you have the prerequisites, you can craft any existing, published magic item, or combinations thereof (at the appropriate price modifiers). You cannot invent a custom item unless you are a 3PP build. Items can be combined with one another according to the normal rules for your edition (in 3.5, see MIC p233), and you have some leeway as to their exact appearance (for example, a head slot item could be any headgear of your choice). For 3.5 builds, don't forget that you can give your crafting feats signature traits, per DMG2 p230!

Q: What about custom prestige race alterations?
    A: Eh, sure, subject to the same limits on magic items. It has to be based on an existing magic item, and you'll pay 40% of the item's market price in xp. Just arrange them into a focus path of up to four alterations that are thematically cohesive with one another. You can have up to two such custom foci.

Q: If I take Leadership, how does my cohort work?
    A: Much like in the game, a cohort has to be an existing character. So, for our purposes, you choose one of your real-life cohorts, and that person gains as many class levels as a cohort would have, and levels up along with you as you post each year. It's up to the cohort to decide what levels to take; you don't decide for them. You can also designate followers according to your leadership score; only NPC class levels are available to followers. If you want to take Dragon Cohort but you don't have any dragon friends in real life (and you can't cast lesser dragon ally to call one), I will allow it to be applied to a reptilian pet, which then gains draconic powers.

Q: I'm an artificer. Can I cherry-pick the lowest-level version of every spell to make items more cheaply?
    A: You can only draw from the spell lists of base classes and domains, or, for a psionic artificer, from the power lists of base classes, mantles, and disciplines. (Psionic artificers cannot convert spells to powers; that's an erudite ability only.) You can also draw from any spell list that is called out specifically in the spell's description (e.g. exalted spells, or spells exclusive to Initiate feats). Prestige class spell lists are not available (unless the prestige class is called out in the spell description, as seen with the assassin and blackguard spells in Spell Compendium). This applies to the artificer as well as the chameleon and other, similar abilities.

Q: Can I research spells?
    A: Sure. If you're a wizard or erudite, this is probably how you'll be learning a lot of your spells. Use the rules in the DMG (or whatever the PF equivalent is). Tell me what you're trying to research and your rationale for why it should be possible for your class at the level you want it, and I'll adjudicate the result. You still pay the cost regardless of whether your research succeeds or fails. If the spell is on your class spell list at that level already (wizards), spoiler alert, you'll succeed.

Q: How exactly does this world work? Is the timeline altered by our previous levels? Do we know about other players? Are we making decisions for ourselves, or are these benefits applied to parallel universe version of ourselves? Etc.
    A: I think it's fine to envision it however you like, but I bet that parallel timeline idea would make for some cool fanfiction. If you'd like to share your idea of what the last year would have been like for the leveled-up version of you, please do!
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2023-05-03 at 02:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2023 edition!

Continuing with Oracle. I'll need to look up what I get at 8th when I have a bit more time....

Oh, and did anyone go after the bait I was leaving out?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Human
    STR 9, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 8 (INT increased by one now at level 4)

Erudite 6
    ACF: Convert Spell to Power
    Level 1 Feat: Extend Power
    Human Bonus Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimensional Pocket)
    Level 3 Feat: Imprint Stone
    Level 5 Bonus Feat: Craft Universal Item
    Level 6 Feat: Craft Dorje

PP: 43 (35 base, 6 from Int, 2 from Hidden Talent)
    UPPD: 4

Psicrystal:

HD 6
    Str 1, Dex 15, Con -, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 11 (increased CHA by one at HD4)
    HD 1 Feat: Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop)
    HD 3 Feat: Draconic Aura: Vigor
    HD 6 Feat: Draconic Aura: Toughness
    Last edited by Crichton; 2024-01-07 at 10:51 PM.
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Another level of chameleon it is.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Woohoo! So glad this is back!

From last year, Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 2....

Spoiler: 2022
    Show
    So, new level: Eldritch Disciple 2.

Current build: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 2.

+1 to Invocation/Cleric casting. No new Invocations this level, but I'm now casting as a Cleric5, meaning 3rd-level spells - and the big personal payoff for Cleric casting. I cast Remove Blindness/Deafness on myself (twice), and never have to worry about glasses or hearing aids again. Also, Remove Disease just as the Omicron variant starts to mess things up. Family and friends are now relatively safe. (Still only 1 3rd-level spell a day, but I can space it out if necessary).

New skill points; keeping up on Know (Religion), Heal, and UMD; and I now have the 5 ranks in Balance to not be flat-footed while balancing.

Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5

The weird coincidences continue. Last year I got access to Remove Blindness/Deafness. As of about three hours ago, my first cochlear implant was turned on. So, I'm halfway there (and still feeling really excited about it!)

This year, no surprise: Eldritch Disciple 3. Reflex save and BAB go up one, and a caster level of Divine and Invoking. I'm casting as a 6th-level Cleric and Invoking as a 4th-level Warlock. New Invocation, and time to get serious about my future. Now that Heal is up to 10 (for Healing Lorecall), and Knowledge (Religion) is about as high as I care for it to get, I'm splitting the precious few skill points between UMD and Spellcraft; and getting the Darkness invocation. (Yep, aiming for the Shadowmaster Epic feat way, way down the road; and hoping that the site still exists in some form in 13 years). Stat increase this level! Going to put it in Wisdom again (have to keep bumping it to get access to the higher-level Cleric spells). Speaking of, still sitting at 3rd-level Cleric spells for now.

Spoiler: 2023 Build
    Show

Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 3

Str: 8
    Dex 9
    Con 10
    Int 12
    Wis 13->14 (lvl 4 stat bump)->15 (lvl 8 stat bump)
    Cha 11

Human
    Feats:
    1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
    3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)
    6: Extend Spell

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
    Alignment: CN

Skills
    Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
    Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
    Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
    Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4
    Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2
    Level 6: Know (Religion) 9, Heal 9, UMD 6, Balance 4
    Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5
    Level 8: UMD 8, Spellcraft 3

Invocation: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Wild, Darkness.
    Gift of the Divine Patron: Fearful Glare.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Happy New Year everyone. Woohoo...3rd level wizard...first up, retraining my Skill Focus to Spellcraft. Between Craft Wondrous Item and the Arcane Discovery of Arcane Builder focused on CWI, I manage to find the time to do quite a bit of magic item crafting. I also squeeze in time to research a few 2nd level spells, starting with the other 4 attribute enhancers...needless to say, amongst the first things I craft are a Headband and Belt...

Spoiler: Me
    Show
    Alex
    Race, Class, and Level: Human (Australian), Wizard (Arcane Crafter) 3
    Size, Type, and Alignment: Medium, Humanoid (human), Neutral-ish
    Init and Senses: Initiative +1; Perception +3.
    AC: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10.
    hp: 14 (3d6 HD)
    Saving Throws: Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Willpower +4.
    Speed: 30'.
    Melee: dagger (+0 melee, 1d4-1 damage, 19-20/x2).
    Ranged: dagger (+2 ranged, 1d4-1 damage, 10' range, 19-20/x2).
    Spells Known/Spells Prepared:
    Spoiler: 0-level
    Show
    Acid Splash; Arcane Mark; Bleed; Breeze; Chameleon Scales; Conjurer's Toolbelt; Dancing Lights; Daze; Detect Fiendish Presence; Detect Magic; Detect Poison; Disrupt Undead; Drench; Flare; Ghost Sound; Grasp; Haunted Fey Aspect; Jolt; Mage Hand; Mending; Message; Oath of Anonymity; Open/Close; Penumbra; Prestidigitation; Ray of Frost; Read Magic; Resistance; Root; Scoop; Scrivener's Chant; Sotto Voce; Spark; Touch of Fatigue; Vacuous Vessel;

Spoiler: 1-level
    Show
    Arcane Pocket; Celestial Healing; Crafter's Fortune; Snapdragon Fireworks; Unseen Servant.
    Brightest Night; Skill Lore; Ward, Lesser; Abundant Ammunition; Blood Money; Comprehend Languages; Cultural Adaptation; Detect Metal; Endure Elements; Expeditious Retreat; Feather Fall; Hypnotism; Air Bubble; Magic Missile; Anticipate Peril; Heightened Awareness; Implant Urge; Longshot; Mage Armour; Magic Weapon; Secluded Grimoire; Sleep; Speak Local Language; Summon Monster I; True Skill; True Strike; Urban Grace; Magic Aura; Disguise Self.

Spoiler: 2-level
    Show
    Bear's Endurance; Bull's Strength; Cat's Grace; Eagle's Splendour; Fox's Cunning; Owl's Wisdom;

Spells Prepared: Conjurer's Toolbelt; Ghost Sound; Mending; Prestidigitation; Crafter's Fortune; Disguise Self; Unseen Servant.
    Ability Scores: Strength 9, Dexterity 13, Constitution 11, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 12, Charisma 14.
    Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (spellcraft), Secret Capital, Craft Wondrous Item, Discovery: Arcane Builder
    Traits: Duskwalker Agent; Focused Study; Innovative; Spark of Creation.
    Skills: Craft (calligraphy) +11, Craft (gunsmith) +11, Fly +7, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Spellcraft +15.
    Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Sign-language.

Biscuit, cat familiar (valet). Sadly, some bastard killed my cat a few months back...might be a little while before I get another familiar...

Future build notes: max advance in spellcraft and K(arc), splash extra points across knowledges and crafts, with an eye towards gunslinging at some point in the future. Spell picks for utility in real world and for crafting/enchanting.

Going through the Downtime rules again a few months back had me discovering one little throwaway line where it says your effective Leadership must be greater than the combined levels of any Teams you acquire...which means that teams of Craftsmen (3x Expert level 4, total 12) are beyond my reach for now, and I have had to go back and correct a lot of math...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2023-02-11 at 09:13 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Another level of Chef for me, now level 5.

My income from being a chef now increased sevenfold- making profession checks daily.

And I now can make potions of a third level spell- I guess Remove disease would be the most useful in the real world. Lots of sick people.

8. - Top - End - #8

It continues to hurt that I took level 1 in Barbarian, and also that Shapeshift Druid does not work with Druidic Avenger. But alas, I'll take another level in Druid, bringing me to Barb1/Druid4. Now in Predator Form (which is almost always) I gain the benefit of a bonus Mobility feat. Wooo! Another step closer to 3rd level spells.

Level 3 Neutral Good Human Barbarian1/Shapeshift-Druid2

Ability Scores:

Strength 12
    Dexterity 8
    Constitution 10
    Intelligence 9
    Wisdom 14
    Charisma 11

BAB and Saves:

Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +6

Skills: Climb 4 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Swim 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Profession (Wilderness Guide) 5 ranks

Spells: I would prepare Light, Mending, and Cure Minor Wounds on a regular basis. As a side note, Know Direction is hot garbage. For my 1st level spell, Endure Elements daily, Goodberry before an expedition, and either Produce Flame or Shillelagh (probably the latter) as a combat option.

0th: 1 Light, 2 Mending, 1 Cure Minor Wounds

1st: 1 Endure Elements, 2 Shillelagh, 1 Pass Without Trace

2nd: 1 Tern's Persistence, 1 Primal Hunter, 1 Finns to Feet

Feats: Extra Rage, Reckless Rage, Wild Cohort, Mobility (B)(While in Shapeshift)

Flaw: Wild (Dragon 329)

Class Features: Fast Movement, illiteracy, Rage 3/day, Nature Sense (+2 Knowledge (Nature) and Survival), Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form: Puma), Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure

Wild Cohort: Light Horse.

With Predator Form and Rage, I get 22 Strength. Pretty good for level 4 and the non-elite array.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the best class level after Warlock 2 is Warlock 3. I have a caster level and lots of free crafting XP, but no spells known, so I'll be taking Craft Magical Arms and Armor for my feat. (I can retrain it later.) My 4 skill points will be spent on Diplomacy, Bluff, Disguise, and Spellcraft.

Total build:

Chaotic Neutral Human Warlock 3
    8/11/9/13/10/12

Attacks: BAB +2; Melee +1; Ranged +3; Grapple +1
    Saves: Fort +0; Ref +2; Will +3

Feats: Murky Eyed (Flaw), Grudge Keeper (Flaw). Feats: Able Learner (1), Silver Tongue (Human), Noble Born (+Flaw), Slow Maturation (+Flaw), Craft Magical Arms and Armor [Trait:Clean] (3).
    Skills (24 ranks): Bluff 6 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks, Disguise 1 rank, Intimidate 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 1 rank, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Spellcraft 1 rank. Languages: Common, Mandarin.
    Class Features and Invocations: DR 1/Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast 2D6, Detect Magic, Beguiling Influence, Call of the Beast.

Skills at this point: Bluff +13 (6 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence), Diplomacy +19 (6 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence, 4 Synergy), Disguise +2 (1 Rank, 1 Cha), Intimidate +13 (4 Ranks, 1 Cha, 6 Influence, 2 Synergy), Knowledge (Arcana) +2 (1 Ranks, 1 Int), Sense Motive +5 (5 Ranks), Spellcraft +2 (1 Rank, 1 Cha)

Now that I have skill synergies I can start branching out my skills to grab Chameleon prerequisites. After looking at my feat situation, I'm not actually grabbing Obtain Familiar any time soon, so there's no pressing need to level up Arcana.

Normally I'd be looking into UMD, but since this takes place on earth, I don't expect to encounter a ton of magical devices I myself didn't make. And I can just make ones I can use without checks.

Do I get to use my (2k XP) crafting pool the same level I take the crafting feat, or no?

10. - Top - End - #10

Happy New Year!

My transmuter hits level 7. That means new spells like dimension door, and a new feat like Forge Ring. Keeping Arcana and Spellcraft maxed out. By now I should have a stat boosting item for Intelligence.

Spoiler: Transmuter 7
    Show
    Human Transmuter 7
    Init +2; Senses Perception +7
    DEFENSE
    AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
    hp 30
    Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee club +3 (1d6)
    Ranged none
    Arcane School Spell-like Abilities (CL 7th; concentration +10)
    6/day—telekinetic fist (1d4+3)
    Transmuter Spells Prepared (CL 7th; concentration +10)
    4th--dimension door, lesser age resistance (b)
    3rd--clairvoyance, dispel magic, fly (b), sleet storm
    2nd--bull's strength (b), invisibility, levitate, make whole, protection from arrows
    1st--comprehend languages, disguise self, endure elements, feather fall (b), mage armor, obscuring mist
    0 (at will)--detect magic, mage hand, mending, prestidigitation
    Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Necromancy

STATISTICS
    Str 10, Dex (11) 9, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 13
    Favored Class: wizard (+7 skill points)
    Feats: Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Wand (w), Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll [b], Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Skills: Fly +10, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (geography, history, local) +10, Knowledge (nature, planes) +7, Linguistics +13, Perception +7, Spellcraft +17
    Traits: Classically Schooled, Reactionary
    Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Japanese, Latin, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
    SQ arcane bond (weasel), physical enhancement +2

My telepath also reaches level 7 which gives access to the all-important Psychic Reformation power. Any previous power, feat, and skill choices can be rapidly changed

Spoiler: Telepath 7
    Show
    Human Psion (Telepath) 7
    Init +1; Senses Perception +7
    DEFENSE
    AC 9, touch 9, flat-footed 9 (-1 Dex)
    hp 36 (includes psionic body)
    Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +5
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee club +3 (1d6-1)
    Ranged none
    Powers Known (CL 7th; concentration +12)
    4th--fold space, psychic reformation
    3rd--dispel psionics, energy bolt, psionic blast, telekinetic force
    2nd--compelling voice, concussion blast, defy gravity, read thoughts
    1st--empathic connection, inertial armor, mind link, slumber, vigor
    0 (at will)--conceal thoughts, detect psionics, far hand, telepathic lash
    Power Points per day: 65

STATISTICS
    Str 9, Dex 8, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +2; CMD 11
    Feats: Craft Cognizance Crystal, Craft Wand, Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Body, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Talent
    Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Bluff +17 (with conceal thoughts), Diplomacy +9, Knowledge (psionics) +13, Linguistics +5, Perception +11 (with psicrystal), Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +13
    Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
    Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
    SQ mental intrusion, psicrystal (meticulous)

edit: corrected sample spell list and psionic template
    Last edited by El Dorado; 2023-03-02 at 03:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Ah, a new year, and that means a new level! I intend to continue my hopes for Anima mage, though, I've also noticed a mistake I made in my earlier plans, that being that precocious apprentice needs to be taken at 1st level. Oops.

Well, all that means is that it just takes 2 more levels of spellcasting to get there. Not a problem, I can live with that.

So with that, I take my second character level, Sha Ir 1. Hopefully I can meet with some other spell-casters in this thread and identify a few of their spells. Im unsure if Sha-Ir can research spells, or if I can Identify spells from my Binder level, but if possible, I'd definitely do those as well.

Though, for now I only have 5 0th level, and 3 spells of 1st level in my known spells.

Spoiler: Spell Choices, 0th level
    Show

• Mending
    • Mage Hand
    • Dancing Lights

Spoiler: Spell Choices, 1st level
    Show

• Unseen Servant. Simply put, having an invisible force to handle tasks is pretty helpful. Range is limited at this level, but still, a servant to fetch things, handle housework, and so forth it. The duration is nice too, plenty can be done in an hour.
    • Friendly Face. With my charisma focus, and my need for good diplomacy thanks to needing it to cast spells, a +5 bonus to diplomacy checks is pretty nice.
    • Disguise Self. While this is a little bit redundant due to having a vestige that can grant it at will, the ability to have disguise self regardless of vestige prepared is nice, as well as not losing my voice sometimes in exchange. I just like the spell a bunch too, so yeah, being able to change outfits or my appearance is just something that is cool to me <:

Alongside my known spells, I'm pretty sure I can have my "Unknown but recognized" spell list filled with spells I get from my binder levels, so, thats pretty good. Researching whether this was possible or not was a bit interesting, since technically, all binder spells are spell like abilities, so I cant "Identify them as they are being cast" since that requires them to have Vocal/Somatic components, and SLA's have none. However, I can identify spells by way of "Identify a spell thatÂ’s already in place and in effect", meaning I'm still able to identify them.

So, with the green lady, that means I can slowly work out all my 1st level spells, and any further leveled ones I get from future binding levels. Which, yeah, checks out since its not like I can easily sit in and watch other casters cast spells in this world. Ive gotta transfer information across my different trainings.

I'm also able to research spells, though, that has a gold cost, and I dont think we've got a gold-to-dollar conversion worked out? Because yeah, at later levels, my ability to get extra spells will depend on research, and the price conversion causes a big difference in number of spells learnt. Ill leave that as a "Presumably, I'd have a few extra spells than what I have written here, but I'm not too sure how many."

Spoiler: Identified Spells
    Show

Its not worth listing them like my other lists at present, since that would require listing every 1st level wizard spell, which is, unnecessary. Its just "All of them". I'll probably create a proper list for non 1st levels as I find ways to identify them.

Oh, I also have Invisibility, through Malphas. I cant actually cast that, but yeah, thats on the list

As for the Gen, I'll have to find a way to get the money to summon it, since I'm unsure if I get it for free on taking the 1st level, and I assume I don't. Though, I'll take the Air Gen, once I've gotten to summoning it.

Last thing I get are new skill points to spend. We've only got a +1 to int, so we're limited to just 3 points. Makes me sorta wish I went for Nymph's Kiss earlier, oh well, maybe some other year. We'll put 1 point into Knowledge (The Planes), bringing us to 3, since we need 4 for anima mage, and I might as well deal with a bit of it now. Ill put a second into Diplomacy, since diplomacy is always good, and for the last one, I think Ill put it into Bluff?

Now, the reason for this choice of Bluff is kinda lame, but with my own DnD group, I've kinda realised my ability to voices for characters... sucks? Plus disguise self and all, but yeah, I wanna do voices. But, theres no real "voices" skill, so my best bets were either Bluff (as in, imitating voices), or Perform (as in, voice acting I guess?). Perform is off class, so not that easy an investment. So yeah, bluff might end up getting more ranks as I get levels for this purpose alone. Though, next level up is a year away, so who knows.

Edit: Forgot I'm human and have a 4th skill point to use, we put that also into Knowledge (The Planes), bringing us to the needed 4 for Anima Mage, so next year and so one we have more fun things to do with our points <:

Spoiler: Updated Stats
    Show

Levels: Binder 1, Sha Ir 1

Dex: 9
    Con: 11
    Wis: 10
    Int: 12
    Cha: 13

Feats:
    - Ignore Special Requirements
    - Improved Binding
    - Expel Vestige
    - [Meta] Extend Spell

Character Traits:
    Polite (+1 to diplomacy, -2 to intimidate)
    Absent Minded (+1 to knowledge checks, -1 to spot and listen)

Flaws:
    Methodical Magical Methods
    Non-combatant

Skill Ranks: Diplomacy +5, Sense Motive +2, Bluff +3, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Intimidate +4, Craft (Art) +2, Speak Language (Dutch), Speak Language (Portuguese).

Spells Known (Sha Ir):

0th Level
    • Dancing Lights
    • Mage Hand
    • Mending

1st Level
    • Disguise Self
    • Friendly Face
    • Unseen Servant

Yup, thats 2023. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to
    Last edited by NCat; 2023-03-21 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Forgot I'm human and have an extra skill point d:

I write homebrew, you can find my collection on my blog here!

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild? We are all gaining our usual trickle of spells, wouldn't it be nice to have access to more of the spell list?

Wizards and other prepared arcane spellcasters can learn spells from each other in game, so why can't we?
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild?
    I definitely would be down as a Sha Ir, (plus, that one guildmage PRC is if I recall, my loose plans for late game after anima mage, though that is a while a way)

It just makes sense for spellcasters to group together

I write homebrew, you can find my collection on my blog here!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Guess I’d pick up Contemplative Cleric 2
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I believe it came up in passing last year but, since we are all existing in the same world, would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild? We are all gaining our usual trickle of spells, wouldn't it be nice to have access to more of the spell list?

Wizards and other prepared arcane spellcasters can learn spells from each other in game, so why can't we?
    Sure. I'm gonna need to get spellbooks for someplace after all.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

And an other Level of Wizard for me please, for a total of 4 Wizard Levels! :)

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #17

Devil

Another year and I'm still suffering from my bad decisions in previous years. Now that I know that spellcasting from Sculpt Self doesn't let me meet prerequisites, I'll need to retrain into Sanctum Spell to be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells to qualify for Cerebremancer. The good news is that at some point I'll be able to retrain it away, once I progress my spellcasting enough. The bad news is that I'll need to take another level of StP Erudite this year, and I won't get War Magic Study for another 4 years at the earliest. Ah well.

What I'm doing with my life really depends on what everybody else is doing. If life continues more or less normally I'm using skill-boosting magic to get rich doing whatever pays the best. If the presence of people who can do magic vastly changes society (as it probably would) I'll probably be researching and selling spells, which would presumably be more lucrative, and honestly I'm probably going to be researching spells no matter what. The thing about D&D is that there are a lot of things spells can't do because that would make the game unbalanced, not because it doesn't make sense for spells to be able to do those things. In other words, I'm pretty sure I could research some broken-good spells because life isn't a game and there are no power-level bans. That being said, I have no way of knowing what spells I'd actually be able to make, so I've been leaving them out of my plans for the most part.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Another year and I'm still suffering from my bad decisions in previous years.
    I think that's generally applicable.

As far as guilds and things go, I'd probably still be keeping under wraps as much a possible. The whole situation is still smelling of "too good to be true." Plus I've read enough X-Men to know what can happen in this sort of situation. I want to stay under the radar until the other shoe drops.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Oh, and did anyone go after the bait I was leaving out?
    Is this a question for me?

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Do I get to use my (2k XP) crafting pool the same level I take the crafting feat, or no?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    Ah, a new year, and that means a new level! I intend to continue my hopes for Anima mage, though, I've also noticed a mistake I made in my earlier plans, that being that precocious apprentice needs to be taken at 1st level. Oops.

Well, all that means is that it just takes 2 more levels of spellcasting to get there. Not a problem, I can live with that.
    Precocious Apprentice wouldn't do what you want anyway.

Well, I don't know if I want to pay dues or anything, but I would at least join the group chat, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Now that I know that spellcasting from Sculpt Self doesn't let me meet prerequisites, I'll need to retrain into Sanctum Spell to be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells to qualify for Cerebremancer. The good news is that at some point I'll be able to retrain it away, once I progress my spellcasting enough.
    I have come to expect this kind of optimism from you. It's very bold of you to keep making risky build decisions based on controversial rules interpretations without knowing whether or not they'll work.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll be taking my first level of Wizard, and using the Pathfinder 1e rules.

Ability Scores

Dex: 9
    Con: 11
    Int: 15
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 10

Arcane School: Conjuration (Teleportation), Opposition Schools = Necromancy, Evocation

Arcane Bond: Fox familiar! With the Elemental Familiar (Air) archetype so that it can fly.

Feats: Scribe Scroll, Eschew Materials (no spell components on Earth), Scholar (Knowledge (Artificial Intelligence) and Knowledge (Physics))

Spells: Silent Image, Endure Elements, Keep Watch, Charm Person, Feather Fall, Infernal Healing, Heightened Awareness

Bonus Languages: Chinese, German

Skills: Knowledge (Artificial Intelligence), Knowledge (Physics), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Spellcraft

Traits: Spark of Creation (+1 bonus on Craft checks, magic items are 5% cheaper to make), Student of Philosophy (use Int instead of Cha for Diplomacy and Bluff)

Future Plans: Take the Magaambyan Arcanist prestige class for access to Druid spells
    Last edited by CatGoddess; 2023-01-05 at 03:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Another level of Wizard. (Now Wizard Level 4)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

More of the same (Arcane Spellcaster) for me.

would any wizards and/or other arcane spellcasters be interested in banding together to form a rudimentary guild?
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Well, I don't know if I want to pay dues or anything, but I would at least join the group chat, sure.
    Pretty much this (give or take paranoia). Also, wrt “trading spells”, I think this has 0 value for my class, no?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q: How exactly does this world work? Is the timeline altered by our previous levels? Do we know about other players? Are we making decisions for ourselves, or are these benefits applied to parallel universe version of ourselves? Etc.
    A: I think it's fine to envision it however you like, but I bet that parallel timeline idea would make for some cool fanfiction. If you'd like to share your idea of what the last year would have been like for the leveled-up version of you, please do!
    I’ll take most any excuse to lower people’s Sanity scores with my horrific fanfiction writing (and, senility willing, I’ll do so at some point). However… not that I’ve the reading comprehension to know what’s kosher and what’s verboten, but… I’m concerned “Do we know about other players?” and “fanfiction” line up poorly with at least Playground culture, if not rules, without explicit permission.

24. - Top - End - #24

Devil

I have come to expect this kind of optimism from you. It's very bold of you to keep making risky build decisions based on controversial rules interpretations without knowing whether or not they'll work.
    That's real life for you. Somebody's gotta try it to see if it works or not. And if it doesn't, my sacrifice will be remembered by all those who come after me who would have done as I did.

That being said, if you're saying that I can't use Sanctum Spell for early then I'll either have to take two more levels of Wizard or some other feat combo, although if you don't like Sanctum Spell you probably wouldn't like Snowcasting either, so I'd need Easy Metamagic on Heighten Spell or something.

I think I asked this in previous years, but do we have some sort of supernatural ability to know how the big DM in the sky will rule on various issues? Because if we don't then it seems kinda like metagaming to change my build based on you telling me what will end up working and what won't.

I'm not even entirely sure your point was that Sanctum Spell won't work, but that seemed to be the implication.

EDIT: Looking back over the FAQ I see that you explicitly don't know if things'll work or not.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2023-01-05 at 02:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I have a question: does 3PP material include stuff from the homebrew subforum? I'm specifically looking at the Gramarie system (going with the original version, since the 2.0 update is very incomplete)
    Last edited by AsuraKyoko; 2023-01-05 at 03:03 PM. Reason: missing space

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Has our world's cosmology been altered in this scenario? E.g. are there gods, demons, planes, etc.?
    If so, do all aspects of d&d cosmology get ported over, or are they only added as needed? Because in the latter case I'm certainly going to steer clear of summoning any devils...

On a different note, I'd be down to meet up and swap spells with other arcane casters.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Sure. I'm gonna need to get spellbooks for someplace after all.
    We could set up a discord or something similar. Plenty of ways to trade information.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    We could set up a discord or something similar. Plenty of ways to trade information.
    Just hop a plane if scans of a spellbook don't work.

Depending on your morals, magic makes money easy.

Arcane:
    With 1st level spells: Charm Person and a Cha check to get folks who handle money to do something they normally wouldn't. Embezzling on your behalf.
    With 2nd level spells: Invisibility makes for an extremely difficult to catch thief.
    With 4th level spells: Dimension Door into and out of a vault. Or (more efficiently), get a picture of a vault, and use Summon Monster IV for a Lantern Archon, which can Greater Teleport in and out of the vault a few times.

Divine: Much easier to sleep at night here.
    2nd: Make Whole. Instant repair shop.
    3rd: Really kicks in here. You'll want a go-between and some access to disguise or invisibility to maintain some semblance of a normal life, but Remove Blindness/Deafness and Remove Disease are SERIOUS money-makers once you've got a demonstrated success rate.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

29. - Top - End - #29

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    The Dreamscape might work, depending on which version we have access to.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another level of Tattooed Monk.

Archivist 1/Mystic Ranger 4/Tattooed Monk 2

I would also like to lodge a complaint- my disease immunity from my first level of Tattooed Monk has clearly not been working this past year, or I've been catching magical diseases.