New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Circles, waves and triangles.

I was trying to get to sleep.

So, if a circle rotates at the same speed as a sheet of paper (or whatever, so long as it can be drawn on), is passing it, and a marker marks the surface (the speed of rotation of the circle being such that when the marker is moving exactly in the direction of the paper, the speed of the marker is static with respect to the paper), what is the line that is drawn called?

It's not a sine wave, because in that the marker doesn't move forward or back with respect to the world the paper is passing through. It's not a series of semi-circles, because the angle of the line reaches 45 degrees at the middle height, which isn't true of a semi-corcle.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Circles, waves and triangles.

Not sure if this shape has a specific name or can be described with a simple function aside from a parametric curve like (here skipping a few adjustable parameters for simplicity)
    x = cos(t) + t
    y = -sin(t)

Update before I actually posted: I did some search and the shape is called a cycloid. There are some proper equations for the shape given in the link along with some other properties.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Not sure if this shape has a specific name or can be described with a simple function aside from a parametric curve like (here skipping a few adjustable parameters for simplicity)
    x = cos(t) + t
    y = -sin(t)

Update before I actually posted: I did some search and the shape is called a cycloid. There are some proper equations for the shape given in the link along with some other properties.
    That does appear to be it, thanks very much, I looked on wikipedia but without knowing it's name I didn't find it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That does appear to be it, thanks very much, I looked on wikipedia but without knowing it's name I didn't find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I am now curious what your research looked like, Radar. I, like halfeye, would have had lots of issues trying to tell a search engine what concept for which I was trying to find the term.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I am now curious what your research looked like, Radar. I, like halfeye, would have had lots of issues trying to tell a search engine what concept for which I was trying to find the term.
    My first connection was that the shape is a specific 2D projection of a helix, which was close enough for some discussions on the subject to mention a cycloid.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is the shape a point on a wheel makes as the wheel rolls. When I put that in a search engine the Wikipedia page for "cycloid" shows up.

Now I am not sure I would have leapt to that without seeing "cycloid", so thanks to Radar.

One of the interesting things about cycloids is that ropes naturally form them when allowed to hang from their ends.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2023-01-05 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    One of the interesting things about cycloids is that ropes naturally form them when allowed to hang from their ends.
    That is a catenary, which is different from a parabola, and I am pretty sure it's not the same as a cycloid.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-01-06 at 08:18 PM.