New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default ST: Strange New Worlds - Season 2 Trailer

I’m losing track of trailers, but this is new today and looks extra-flashy. It also features a certain crossover:

Spoiler: Crossover
    Show
    Not sure how TNG-era crew are on the pre-Kirk TOS bridge, but there they are. Maybe someone’s playing with a probability drive.

The guy playing Boimler nails the look. Not as sure about Mariner.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2023-05-24 at 05:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: ST: Strange New Worlds - Season 2 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Show
    Not sure how TNG-era crew are on the pre-Kirk TOS bridge, but there they are. Maybe someone’s playing with a probability drive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time travel shenanigans? In MY Star Trek? It's more likely than you'd think!

Also, pretty sure Boimler and Mariner are being played by the same actors who do the voices on ST:LD.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time travel shenanigans? In MY Star Trek? It's more likely than you'd think!

Also, pretty sure Boimler and Mariner are being played by the same actors who do the voices on ST:LD.

Isn’t the inciting incident for Strange New Worlds

Spoiler: Captain of the Starship Enterprise
    Show

That Pike, Captain of the Starship Enterprise is looped in with a time travel paradox? Knowing his own (possible) future.
    "Be specific, Captain – which Enterprise? There have been five."
    "Six."
    "This was the first Enterprise, Constitution-class."
    "His ship."
    "James T. Kirk."
    "The one and only!"
    "Seventeen separate temporal violations – the biggest file on record."
    "The man was a menace."

- Dulmur, Lucsly, and Sisko
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

My two least favorite modern Treks in one place, be still my heart!

SNW hasn't really appealed to me (I've always been really meh on Pike and Spock is as overexposed as Wolverine imo) but I'm looking forward to the inevitable memes from the LD crossover.

What I'm excited for is Michelle Yeoh's Section 31 event movie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’m losing track of trailers, but this is new today and looks extra-flashy. It also features a certain crossover:

Show

I'm torn, on the one hand the writers for this have a lot of good will from me for making the best Start Trek in decades and I want to have faith in them, but the crossover stuff makes me worried this show might be about to fall into the continuity black hole. Also, they are doing a crossover with the Trek property I may hate the most out of anything ever to bear the name. Does not bode well.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2023-05-25 at 03:03 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What I'm excited for is Michelle Yeoh's Section 31 event movie
    I love Michelle Yeoh and I'm sure it will be good, but I'm pretty meh about a Section 31 solo film/series.

They've always been the self-righteous antagonists compared to the upstanding Starfleet characters. Discovery's version was the only one so far to have any sympathetic characters at all, and those were both inducted into the organization after being on the show in other capacities.

I much rather enjoy Captain Pike's overwhelmingly pure devotion to the ideals of the Federation, both during Disco s2 and even moreso in Strange New Worlds. But I suppose I've always been a Star Trek fan for the unbridled optimism and moral philosophy.

7. - Top - End - #7

Discovery's version was the only one so far to have any sympathetic characters at all, and those were both inducted into the organization after being on the show in other capacities.
    We're essentially getting Disco's version - even if the version of S31 she joined up with is on the more immoral end of the spectrum, her injecting a bit of the Starfleet idealism she picked up from that crew seems a likely arc.

I much rather enjoy Captain Pike's overwhelmingly pure devotion to the ideals of the Federation, both during Disco s2 and even moreso in Strange New Worlds. But I suppose I've always been a Star Trek fan for the unbridled optimism and moral philosophy.
    I guess my issue is that noble Federation ideals are the status quo. I like a bit of edge - less Picard, more Janeway.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    We're essentially getting Disco's version - even if the version of S31 she joined up with is on the more immoral end of the spectrum, her injecting a bit of the Starfleet idealism she picked up from that crew seems a likely arc.
    I'm expecting that Tyler is already doing that, since he was put in charge of rebuilding Section 31 after Control was defeated.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm expecting that Tyler is already doing that, since he was put in charge of rebuilding Section 31 after Control was defeated.
    That's definitely reasonable, but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up needing Michelle Yeoh's brand of leadership for something anyway.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Paramount+ has put all of Season 1 on YouTube, for all those who haven't seen it yet.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by oudeis
    Paramount+ has put all of Season 1 on YouTube, for all those who haven't seen it yet.
    I was just about to post this for anyone who’d be interested. I’ve been working my way through the episodes this past weekend, just a couple left.

So far I’m enjoying it tremendously. There are a few minor things that irk me, and a few characters that just don’t work for me; but I like vastly more of it than I don’t, and overall it’s my favorite Trek by far since the heydey of DS9.

They’ve managed to capture the spirit of exploration and the ethical dilemmas it can raise in a way that pays homage to TOS, as well as occasionally touching on some of the goofier aspects of early Trek. The show has a sense of wonder, a sense of humor, and an occasional willingness to question exactly what frontiers are being explored—and the show isn’t afraid to posit that not everything can be answered with a couple lines of technobabble.

For the first time in a long while, I feel like the franchise has a real future again. Looking forward to the Season One finale, and all the seasons ahead.