New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Roy would have feel pretty stupid if his sister was smart enough to trick him

She just needs to wait a little while until her brother gave up on waiting him and felt stupid to talk like if his sister is listening, unaware that his sister is right there hiding and playing a trick on her brother. Do you think she still has a chance to play a trick on him?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Roy would have feel pretty stupid if his sister was smart enough to trick him

Subtle humor is rare in this comic. I don't think The Giant creates scenes to frame a joke, I think he frames jokes to fit the scene. The story comes first, and the humor fits in where he can find space for it.

I think this is a deliberate reversal of how the comic was constructed in the first book, where scenes were specifically crafted for specific jokes. Red Guy, Green Guy, for example, or half-ogre spiked chain wielder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Roy would have feel pretty stupid if his sister was smart enough to trick him

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Subtle humor is rare in this comic. I don't think The Giant creates scenes to frame a joke, I think he frames jokes to fit the scene. The story comes first, and the humor fits in where he can find space for it.

I think this is a deliberate reversal of how the comic was constructed in the first book, where scenes were specifically crafted for specific jokes. Red Guy, Green Guy, for example, or half-ogre spiked chain wielder.
    + eleventy for this answer.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet Julia is smart enough to trick Roy with some frequency, it's not that hard to trick people and she's a wizard
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Wait a minute! Why did she panic when Roy was talking about her being in the audition? And why was Roy look suspicious of her like that? Maybe this is not her sister alter all, but an imposter, someone pretending to be Julia? Maybe that's why she didn't play a trick on him back then. What do you think?
    Last edited by Precure; 2023-01-23 at 05:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Wait a minute! Why did she panic when Roy was talking about her being in the audition? And why was Roy look suspicious of her like that? Maybe this is not her sister alter all, but an imposter, someone pretending to be Julia? Maybe that's why she didn't play a trick on him back then. What do you think?
    As we discussed in that other thread, maybe Eugene being master of Illusion is tricking Roy, and she's still studying to be a Wizard at the school in Cliffport.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I am genuinely confused why Roy would feel stupid about being tricked by a wizard and one that he just admitted is quite smart. They have probably both tricked each other lots of times.

Now if you meant that he would feel stupid for being tricked by someone pretending to be his sister, that would make more sense.
    Last edited by Devlerbat; 2023-01-25 at 03:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    I am genuinely confused why Roy would feel stupid about being tricked by a wizard and one that he just admitted is quite smart.
    He would feel stupid because, if Julia didn't step out when he called for her, Roy would feel like he's talking to the air this whole time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Roy is smart enough to be a wizard. He was simply more interested in Architecture than Spellcraft.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He would feel stupid because, if Julia didn't step out when he called for her, Roy would feel like he's talking to the air this whole time.
    He would feel like he's been talking to air despite that he's been talking to someone?

I think you are severely underestimating Roy's intelligence here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Roy is smart enough to be a wizard. He was simply more interested in Architecture than Spellcraft.
    And he got an MA at Fighter School, didn't he? (Trying to remember OtootPCs)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So did Thog.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And he got an MA at Fighter School, didn't he? (Trying to remember OtootPCs)
    Close, MBA. Master of Battle Administration, I think.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

If "Julia" just stayed hidden, then Roy would just assume no one had heard him.

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He would feel like he's been talking to air despite that he's been talking to someone?

I mean something like the first four panels here:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0162.html

15. - Top - End - #15

I mean something like the first four panels here:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0162.html
    But you were asked why he'd feel stupid about taking to Eugene disguised a Julia:
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    I am genuinely confused why Roy would feel stupid about being tricked by a wizard and one that he just admitted is quite smart.
    He wouldn't have been talking to air. He'd have been talking to someone. Just someone who tricked him, becuase he was fully expecting the other person.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

No, this thread is predates "Julia is Eugene" thing. I write Julia because I no longer believe that it's her. So, this thread actually lost its point since Eugene wouldn't be that playful with Roy.
    Last edited by Precure; 2023-02-22 at 06:26 AM.