New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isekai RPG?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Isekai RPG?

To me, Isekai is more of a theme or a campaign setting element, and not so much a mechanical thing to build a system around. Unless the PCs (as transportees) work in some way differently than the inhabitants of their new home, there's no functional difference between them and an ordinary first-level character. You could plug in an Isekai plot into a pretty wide variety of mechanical systems without making any modification to the mechanics.

That said, I would think that Ravenloft would be a particularly good setting for an Isekai. The whole idea of the Mists suddenly springing up and entrapping people forever is pretty baked-in.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I havent seen any mention of how Overlord is basically a straight rip of dnd 3.5, including spell levels being an in world mechanic, AMF functioning almost exactly like it does in 3.5, metmagicked spells, and a level 20 wizard pretending to be a level 10 warrior due to them having the same bab. Personally, to me, its that last one that really cements that its 3.5 haha
    Last edited by Crake; 2023-02-04 at 11:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I havent seen any mention of how Overlord is basically a straight rip of dnd 3.5, including spell levels being an in world mechanic, AMF functioning almost exactly like it does in 3.5, metmagicked spells, and a level 20 wizard pretending to be a level 10 warrior due to them having the same bab. Personally, to me, its that last one that really cements that its 3.5 haha
    I noticed this too upon binging it last week.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."