New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC IV) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

As soon as the detective becomes occupied with the bait, Karl slips up beside the van, running a hand under the trim behind the right rear wheel, feeling for the tag where it was magnetically attached to the chassis. As soon as he has it in hand he's poised to move away again, blending with the shadows on the way out.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    As Rachel starts to leave, the man calls out in a daze, "Hey, don't you still need help with your car?" His eyes are still half mast, and he makes no attempt to get up.

Later, she messages Gabe. His reply reads, "Just finishing up with some questions at The Church. Probably here for another 10-15 though, if you can get here in time." She could.

Ignacio turns a pleading gaze to Antoine. The Spear member shrugs, ignoring the ghoul and says in reply to Anna, "The bitch can starve for all I care." The callousness of the reply takes Ignacio by surprise, and rather than protesting or pleading more, he simply moans and drops his head into his lap.

To Anna's direct question, their host frowns and takes a long moment to think it over before replying. "I suppose I'll wait till The Prince, or whomever, has approved that we be allowed to deliver justice... and I'll deal with this one first," he says, indicating the Ghoul who rises his head up to stare at Antoine with horror, "then we'll deal with Saul. But at least now we know how to get to him." Anna wasn't sure if the "We" included her, or if he was simply referring to his Sire.

Anna gets another message from Tony. Though she had been sending him files, she never replied to his previous question. "Are you sure you can trust what this man is saying???"

(OOC: I figured Karl would be talking to him directly. So a Wits + Subterfuge roll almost makes more sense here. However, I'll give you the success.)

Karl's ploy works, though it takes a little longer for the detective to notice the stray bullets than he would have liked. Though the finishing on the bullets was relatively matte, they were still reflective enough to catch the light, and after the detective finds the first one, he is crawling on his belly to get all the way under the car to reach the last two bullets.
    “At the very least, he should be questioned,” Anna said, “he may be able to shed more light on who else is involved, and why.”

Anna replied to Tony: “it seems unlikely this is a ruse. We tracked the van used in the attack via auspex. Even if it was a fake Reggie Fort, the ghouls were still instructed to attack the Spear’s church. Add to that the recent attack on Karl and myself, the kindred body near the Oakland bridge, and Nova’s disappearance. At the very least, Saul (and the domitors of the other ghouls) were involved and would be able to confirm, if they were brought in. Shall we talk to Saul?”

Edit; after she pressed send, Anna looked back and forth between Antoine and Ignacio. She turned to Antoine.
    “I don’t know if it matters to you, but he was wearing a crucifix,” she said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-02 at 07:21 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

As Rachel starts to leave, the man calls out in a daze, "Hey, don't you still need help with your car?" His eyes are still half mast, and he makes no attempt to get up.

Later, she messages Gabe. His reply reads, "Just finishing up with some questions at The Church. Probably here for another 10-15 though, if you can get here in time." She could.
    'Well if people are fighting I suppose I should try to stay informed.' Rachel will go looking for the others.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl retrieves the tracking device without any interruption. The detective isn't out from under the car till the Mekhet is already dropping back into the shadows.

(OOC: Heading back to the Church, or does Karl want to attempt to do anything else "on the scene", before he returns?)

Antoine gives a disinterested shrug at Anna's suggestion. "Sure," he replies flatly.

When Anna brings up the crucifix, Ignacio hangs his pallid head back in his hands, and moans a little. Antoine rolls his eyes at the comment and with a return of his mirthful grin, says with eyes on Ignacio, "How unfortunate the leach wasn't properly taught. He should know that We are God's agents, just as Satan is in the Book of Job. We do not fear signs of faith in God, as it is our duty to push His flock back into His arms." Still grinning smugly, he turns to Anna and says, "You weren't worried for me, I assume."

It isn't till after Ignacio finishes, that Anna gets a reply. Tony's message reads, "Maybe. If so, do it cautiously. It might be best to reconvene and discus everything before the night is over. Will you have time to come back to my Haven tonight?"

Right after Anna has finished reading the message, there's another knock on the door, and a familiar voice calls out, saying it's Rachel. Gabe gets a nod from Antoine, before going to the door to let her in.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna replied to Tony: yes, but I will need to hunt first.

To Antoine:
    “Not at all. I mentioned it as a courtesy, in case there are conventions to be followed,” she said.

She nodded to Rachel as she entered. Anna was disappointed she’d gone off on her own, but she would not let it show on her face, especially not in front of Antoine.

She messaged Karl: “we are done here, where are you?”

“It’s up to us if we want to speak with Saul tonight,” she said to Antoine, “Karl should be on his way back, then we can decide. Is your Sire here? You mentioned he or she might wish to join.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-04 at 09:14 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

After entering Rachel will discreetly assess Anna for signs of bullet wounds. 'I take it everything went well or Gabe would have already mentioned it. Did you happen to find out anything useful.' Explaining what she'd been doing would need to wait until they were away from Antoine.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    After entering Rachel will discreetly assess Anna for signs of bullet wounds. 'I take it everything went well or Gabe would have already mentioned it. Did you happen to find out anything useful.' Explaining what she'd been doing would need to wait until they were away from Antoine.
    “This ghoul is the lone survivor from the earlier attack on this church. His domitor is Saul, a Carthian ancilla,” Anna replied, “the ghoul identified Reggie Fort, the Prince of Oakland, as the individual who requested the attack. We also have the names of the other ghouls’ domitors who were involved in the attack. We are waiting for Karl, and then we will decide whether and how to retrieve Saul for questioning.”
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Rachel hadn't been expecting that. 'Huh. Has this Fort made a habit of intruding on other people's business.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Should probably roll politics here to answer that
    Int 3 + Politics 2
    (5d10)[1][8][1][6][3](19)
    Any 10s
    (5d10)[6][10][7][10][5](38)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl slips in shortly after Rachel, "It was a good call to retrieve the tracker, a detective was getting a little too nosy with the van when I arrived. Its been handled."

After he is caught up the mekhet frowns, "I believe we will need to take the domitors who worked for Fort. but the clock is ticking on putting a stop to the chaos. We need to pick up the pace, not just go chasing after them one by one."

He looks to Antonio, "You have been wronged here, and it is only going to get worse for all of our kind in this city the way things are going. If called upon will you and yours help us to sweep up the corrupted? If need be for the sake of keeping the peace, we'll stake all the suspected and stack them up like driftwood to await justice."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Guessing on a roll for Karl to think about the most likely potential allies to approach to deputize to help with things. It shouldn't just be the spear even if they agree. If you think it should be wits+politics instead take three dice off the end.
    int+politics (7d10)[2][6][8][6][2][4][3](31)
    (7d10)[3][2][3][4][8][5][1](26)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2023-07-09 at 08:52 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    After he is caught up the mekhet frowns, "I believe we will need to take the domitors who worked for Fort. but the clock is ticking on putting a stop to the chaos. We need to pick up the pace, not just go chasing after them one by one."
    'I assume that if we did there's a greater chance of some of them disapearing to Oakland or wherever.'

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He looks to Antonio, "You have been wronged here, and it is only going to get worse for all of our kind in this city the way things are going. If called upon will you and yours help us to sweep up the corrupted? If need be for the sake of keeping the peace, we'll stake all the suspected and stack them up like driftwood to await justice."
    With malice still lining his face, Antonio replies, "If they are related to the ones who attempted to burn down our church and Haven, it would be a pleasure."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, not surprised at the answer before moving to message Tony, "The news that Oakland appears to be deliberately causing problems here suggests the possibility that they've made a move against our own prince, and are involved in the chaos there as well. We are running out of time to determine the truth and act. It may be best to sweep up all of the accused as a group before any of them realize we've caught on, and issue apologies to them later on if the matter was a ruse."

"We will need additional kindred to assist if that is to be the approach however, and it would be best if representatives of as many factions as we can manage are involved, to minimize the later fallout."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

"
    "We will need additional kindred to assist if that is to be the approach however, and it would be best if representatives of as many factions as we can manage are involved, to minimize the later fallout."
    'I suppose I could make some calls. Assuming you want anyone else from the Circle involved in this.'

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Karl nods, not surprised at the answer before moving to message Tony, "The news that Oakland appears to be deliberately causing problems here suggests the possibility that they've made a move against our own prince, and are involved in the chaos there as well. We are running out of time to determine the truth and act. It may be best to sweep up all of the accused as a group before any of them realize we've caught on, and issue apologies to them later on if the matter was a ruse."

"I could maybe convince Julian to help out," Anna said, "depending on what else is going on..."
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tony's replies trickle in in a series of messages. The first reads, "Declaring martial law right now is dangerous. Too easy to be compared to Gorman.", "Better to catch a few key players and pull the info we need.", "Maybe Saul or Nova or another big Carthian. Bring them to me."

"Do what you need to."

He remains silent regarding Rachel and Anna's suggestions.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Tony's replies trickle in in a series of messages. The first reads, "Declaring martial law right now is dangerous. Too easy to be compared to Gorman.", "Better to catch a few key players and pull the info we need.", "Maybe Saul or Nova or another big Carthian. Bring them to me."

"Do what you need to."

He remains silent regarding Rachel and Anna's suggestions.
    Anna looked at Karl, then at Antoine.

"I think one thing is certain, we should secure Saul," Anna said, "we have the access code to his haven, we can go get him now. The others, we don't know where they are, so we'd have to take time. Tony might have the resources to round up some of the others; he has their names, but if we're going to go, we should go soon."
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    "I think one thing is certain, we should secure Saul," Anna said, "we have the access code to his haven, we can go get him now. The others, we don't know where they are, so we'd have to take time. Tony might have the resources to round up some of the others; he has their names, but if we're going to go, we should go soon."
    'You're probably right. Where exactly does this Saul live anyway? Is his Haven large enough that he might have others ghouls or coterie mates living with him?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

In case Rachel can beat Anna's roll on Saul from earlier

Int 3 + Politics 2
    (5d10)[7][7][10][7][6](37)
    Any 10s
    (5d10)[4][8][6][9][2](29)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rachel also knows that Saul is a Carthian, but doesn't know much more than the most peripheral of information. The others are able to catch Rachel up on the location of Saul's haven, where he is allegedly waiting, and how his plan was to flee to Oakland under the protection of his Ghouls today, once the sun had come up.

Antione speaks up now, "You best be going then, and soon." A wicked grin spreads on his face, as he places a hand on the ghoul. "I can take care of our friend Ignacio here," he says, lips spreading to show fangs.

(OOC: Assuming the group is departing now, I think we need to discuss how the group plans on abducting/approaching Saul)
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl glances at the ghoul, then Antione "We may need him to testify later, in order to make sure all those responsible face justice. Please no permanent damage."

To the rest, "Carthian territory is likely hostile ground to us at the moment, I would suggest a stealthy approach, observe the situation, and see if we cannot take him without a peep. Perhaps Rachel can provide a distraction while Anna and I slip in behind."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Karl glances at the ghoul, then Antione "We may need him to testify later, in order to make sure all those responsible face justice. Please no permanent damage."

To the rest, "Carthian territory is likely hostile ground to us at the moment, I would suggest a stealthy approach, observe the situation, and see if we cannot take him without a peep. Perhaps Rachel can provide a distraction while Anna and I slip in behind."
    "I'm so damn thirsty," Anna muttered, but she knew time was critical; hopefully she could find something on the way, or maybe they could stake Saul quickly and she could drain him.

She glanced to Gabe and Victor.
    "You're coming with us? Might never get another chance to legally enter someone's haven and stake them," she said.

"Speaking of which, do you have a spare stake we could borrow?" she asked Antoine, "I'll return it when we're done."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-19 at 08:07 AM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

To Karl, 'Fair enough. I might attract less attention showing up at their front door then either of you. I feel like that won't work forever though.'

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gabe simply gives a nod. Victor adds, "Why not? It's already been a hell of a night." He flashes his cocky grin.

Antoine huffs indignantly at Karl's remark. But he shrugs at Anna's question. "You don't have your own? I don't think we keep any here... Don't normally have plans to put anyone into Torpor."

Odds were that in Anna or Karl's car was a few stakes. They had come armed to the motel.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Gabe simply gives a nod. Victor adds, "Why not? It's already been a hell of a night." He flashes his cocky grin.

Antoine huffs indignantly at Karl's remark. But he shrugs at Anna's question. "You don't have your own? I don't think we keep any here... Don't normally have plans to put anyone into Torpor."

Odds were that in Anna or Karl's car was a few stakes. They had come armed to the motel.
    "I do, I just don't want to walk all the way to my car; we are on a schedule, after all," Anna said, "thank you for your assistance in this, Antoine, and please give our regards to your Sire."

Spoiler
    Show
    speaking of which, would anna have a spare clip in her car?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-20 at 03:33 AM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Taking Rachel and Anna's cars (yes there is a spare clip in the trunk), the five Kindred depart for Portrero Hill, a relatively wealthy and residential neighborhood in the hills of San Francisco, just West of The Dog Patch. In classic San Francisco fashion, the streets cant along the hill at nearly a 30 degree incline, where small two story homes are packed wall to wall against each other along tree lined sidewalks.

The group find parking about a block or so uphill of Saul's Haven; far enough for their cars to be out of sight but near enough to be easily reached should things go sideways. From a quick survey of the area (perhaps performed while looking for parking), Saul's was a "relatively" massive property, taking up the space of what would be two adjacent homes on this street. The property was surrounded by neat wooden fencing, with a row of exotic looking tropical trees planted along the sidewalk to create an extra layer of protection. Peering around the bushes that crowd fence, or just over the top, you can see the exterior is in a French colonial architectural style with the wooden facings a well maintained pastel pink.

It is now after midnight, and the streets are fairly empty in this wealthy residential neighborhood.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Rachel will look towards the trees with distaste. 'Are you two going to have to climb over that? This seems like the sort of neighborhood that might have people looking out for burglars and so forth.'

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Rachel will look towards the trees with distaste. 'Are you two going to have to climb over that? This seems like the sort of neighborhood that might have people looking out for burglars and so forth.'
    “We’ll use obfuscate. We might be able to waltz through the front gate,” Anna said, “we have the security code to get inside so that shouldn’t be an issue.”

She looks for entrances / exits in the exterior wall.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While most of the houses here have so little property, there is no room for a front yard, no need for a gate. But Saul's haven appears to have a small grassy yard behind the fence, as well as enough property so that its walls are not nearly kissing its neighbors'. The front gate has a key coded lock, which Anna and the others already knew about and no the code to.

It looks like to get behind Saul's property would require walking around the side of the fence, along his neighbor's property, walking between the gate and the next door house's wall. Peering over from the side, you can make out that there is a second key coded gate in back, just like Ignacio said there would be.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-07-23 at 01:46 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

To Anna, 'Are you taking Victor or shall I?'

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

To Anna, 'Are you taking Victor or shall I?'
    "It would probably be best if one of us covered everyone, actually," Anna said, "were you able to get a hunt in?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    its one bp per use, regardless of how many ppl covered, if i'm reading the sourcebook correctly.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, "Lets take it carefully, chances are there will be at least some security measures we cannot see from here, and if Saul has any thought to him at least some will be designed with obfuscation in mind."