New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eidetic Spellcaster is a horrid ACF...

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No, this does not follow. Like I said, "able to cast" and "available to cast" are different requirements.

No it wouldn't, because, again, "able to cast" and "available to cast" are not the same thing. This goes back again to the passage I quoted earlier from CAr, as well as that passage from PHB p23 which I'm sure has probably been cited upthread at some point.
    Available to cast is a subset of able to cast.

Anything available to cast is necessarily something you are able to cast. Thus, if a heightened 5th level fireball is considered a 5th level fire spell available to cast, it must necessarily be a 5th level spell you are able to cast, else it would not qualify as one available to cast.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

One odd thing to note about reserve spells and spontaneous casters is that in a rare show of mercy spontaneous casters get to count higher level slots for keeping their reserve feats active. This gives them in that one case a rough equivalent to how a prepared caster can use a higher level slot on a lower level spell by default behavior.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Available to cast is a subset of able to cast.

Anything available to cast is necessarily something you are able to cast. Thus, if a heightened 5th level fireball is considered a 5th level fire spell available to cast, it must necessarily be a 5th level spell you are able to cast, else it would not qualify as one available to cast.
    Well, Snowcasting definitively does not increase the level of spell you have available to cast, nor does Sanctum Spell or Earth Spell, so if this is the case, then it only reinforces my initial opinion from earlier in the thread that it was sloppy to use them for your leapfrogging build when you could have used Eldritch Corruption.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Snowcasting definitively does not increase the level of spell you have available to cast, nor does Sanctum Spell or Earth Spell, so if this is the case, then it only reinforces my initial opinion from earlier in the thread that it was sloppy to use them for your leapfrogging build when you could have used Eldritch Corruption.
    Well, no, because as I said, available to cast is a subset of able to cast. Leapfrogging requires able to cast, while reserve feats require available to cast. Just because it doesnt work for reserve feats, doesnt mean it doesnt work for leapfrogging.

However, the fact that the level increase granted by heighten DOES count as a proper spell level increase, and not this hypothetical middle-ground, it means that other similarly worded spell level increases also count for proper spell level increases.

This suggests that an earth spell, sanctum spell, snowcasted heightened ray of frost in a 5th level spell slot, cast inside a sanctum would actually count as casting an 8th level spell, which means that you as a caster are ABLE to cast 8th level spells, meaning you qualify to take extra slot 7th.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

However, the fact that the level increase granted by heighten DOES count as a proper spell level increase, and not this hypothetical middle-ground, it means that other similarly worded spell level increases also count for proper spell level increases.
    Okay, well, Eldritch Corruption is similarly worded—in fact, it just straight-up applies Heighten to the spell. The others have substantially different wordings. So, again, you should just be using Eldritch Corruption. It has a much better foundation in the rules and it saves on feat economy because it heightens two levels by itself and can be gained as a bonus feat automatically once you meet the prerequisite.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2023-01-24 at 10:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, well, Eldritch Corruption is similarly worded—in fact, it just straight-up applies Heighten to the spell. The others have substantially different wordings. So, again, you should just be using Eldritch Corruption. It has a much better foundation in the rules and it saves on feat economy because it heightens two levels by itself and can be gained as a bonus feat automatically once you meet the prerequisite.
    Well, despite being the greater mechanical option, it is not necessarily the greater fluff option. Much easier to make snowcasting, sanctum, or earth spell work for you, or even versatile spellcaster if you’re part of the crew that thinks it allows you to sacrifice prepared slots for spontaneous casting.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Explain to me how normal metamagic feats will affect a reserve feat, when they do not adjust a spell’s spell level? So far youve just made such a claim twice without backing it up
    Because it's prepared as a higher level spell, as I've mentioned several times already from the PHB.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    The underlying interpretation is that "ability to cast an Nth level spell" occurs after Heighten Spell applies, because it's checking for "a spell that has been cast at 9th level", not "a spell that is 9th level".
    It's the exact opposite. It's wanting your ABILITY to cast nth level spells, not the spell level at which you can cast particular spells

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Because it's prepared as a higher level spell, as I've mentioned several times already from the PHB.
    Thats a distinction without a difference. If a reserve feat scales with a heightened spell, while using the very straightforward wording that it does, then a spell prepared at a higher spell level with heighten spell is functionally no different than a spell prepared of that level, and if there is no functional difference when prepared, then there is no functional difference when cast.

Thus, being able to cast a heightened 5th level fireball would qualify you as being able to cast 5th level spells, which then logically follows that if a heightened 5th level fireball qualifies for 5th level spells the same would apply to other spell level increases, even if they are conditional.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Let's get back on topic here, please. If you want to continue the side conversation, please take it to another thread.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I was enjoying the show, but the mage moderator is right, it did veer off-topic.

Would you guys agree that the homebrew of reducing the cost for Eidetic Spellcaster to only the Scribe Scroll feat and Spellbook feature (thus leaving the possibility to summon a familiar) would at least balance things a bit?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Well, I was enjoying the show, but the mage moderator is right, it did veer off-topic.

Would you guys agree that the homebrew of reducing the cost for Eidetic Spellcaster to only the Scribe Scroll feat and Spellbook feature (thus leaving the possibility to summon a familiar) would at least balance things a bit?
    I mean, you can get a familiar via a feat in the form of obtain familiar anyway, and its actually better, since its tied to caster level, not class levels, so prestige classing doesnt gimp it.

But what I’m guessing you really want is the familiar ACFs

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

If Eidetic Caster were a feat, few optimizers would take it over Obtain Familiar or a metamagic (or item creation) feat. Therefore, dropping its cost from 2 feat-equivalents to one would make it more palatable from that angle.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    If Eidetic Caster were a feat, few optimizers would take it over Obtain Familiar or a metamagic (or item creation) feat. Therefore, dropping its cost from 2 feat-equivalents to one would make it more palatable from that angle.
    Or give it something extra to make up for it. Maybe have it automatically count as spell mastery for qualifications, since its basically spell mastery +, and so you can go straight into uncanny forethought

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or give it something extra to make up for it. Maybe have it automatically count as spell mastery for qualifications, since its basically spell mastery +, and so you can go straight into uncanny forethought
    Yeah, its similarity with Spell Mastery is another big issue. It really isn't a well-thought ACF.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Yeah, its similarity with Spell Mastery is another big issue. It really isn't a well-thought ACF.
    well, considering spell mastery only gives you what, your int modifier in spells that you can memorize, it's in theory worth the spell mastery feat many times over.