New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Tippy Druid ACF

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tippy Druid ACF

Hello everyone! I'm just making this post so I can find this ACF suggestion easier in the future as I've remembered it vaguely on serval occasions but always forget the details. Emperor Tippy long ago suggested a Druid ACF using Unearthed Arcana's Huntsman ACF but instead of giving up Wild Shape you would give up Spellcasting in order to gain the bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger). The intent was to make the druid into a quick and easy wildshape beast and beaststick with a much more feral sort of vibe.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2023-01-14 at 09:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Tippy Druid ACF

Spoiler: This response was for 5e
    Show
    I think I would go the other way around since a lot of druid class/subclass features are tied to spellcasting/spell slots.

So a Ranger class foregoeing spellslots to gain the wild shape class feature (+Some of the circle of the moon subclass features maybe) would probably make more sense.

I talk about Ranger and Druid in a mechanical way here. In terms of fluff it could still be called a Druid.

EDIT : Oh, i didn't see it was for 3.5. I'll have to look more into it

EDIT2 : Since you mainly post this here for reference. For anyone looking for the Huntsman ACF, just type "variant druid 3.5" in google and click on the first link (as of today) to the SRD
    Last edited by CinnaDomenici; 2023-01-15 at 07:49 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm just making this post so I can find this ACF suggestion easier in the future as I've remembered it vaguely on serval occasions but always forget the details. Emperor Tippy long ago suggested a Druid ACF using Unearthed Arcana's Huntsman ACF but instead of giving up Wild Shape you would give up Spellcasting in order to gain the bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger). The intent was to make the druid into a quick and easy wildshape beast and beaststick with a much more feral sort of vibe.
    At that point, I wouldn't neccessarily call it a Druid ACF anymore, but yes, that would make a surprisingly versatile composite martial/utility character.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaDomenici View Post
    Spoiler: This response was for 5e
    Show
    I think I would go the other way around since a lot of druid class/subclass features are tied to spellcasting/spell slots.

So a Ranger class foregoeing spellslots to gain the wild shape class feature (+Some of the circle of the moon subclass features maybe) would probably make more sense.

I talk about Ranger and Druid in a mechanical way here. In terms of fluff it could still be called a Druid.

EDIT : Oh, i didn't see it was for 3.5. I'll have to look more into it
    (In actual fact, 3.5 already has a fairly popular Wildshape Ranger class variant. I like this composite better, on the other hand. (Admittedly, I'm very fond of the official Hunstman ACF as well.))

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As mechastydium noted, it was a "variant class" as opposed to ACF. Not super important, but it helped me find the psot.

Link here
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2023-01-15 at 01:22 PM.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, I had put D&D 3.5 in the tags, but it’s not there now. Strange. Anyway, thanks for finding the post, I failed my search check when I tried to locate it myself. When I get back on a computer I will update the post with the link and clarify the edition.