New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

Cataclysm OOC Thread

THE CATACLYSM IS ON THE HORIZON

These are the early days of the mists. Long ago when the mists were newly reaching out to pull unsuspecting souls into their grasp the Vampire Strahd and the Lich Azalin set their fang upon each other, each bound by the dark powers, seeking a way to destroy the other and gain a way to escape this hell in the multiverse. A Vistani seer has foreseen a group of outsiders would come and save the land of mists from utter destruction, who they are, and how this will occur is unknown, but you may be the heros of legend.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

The six of you have come together. Ted was brought in through his connections to Rosalina and Cheyenne. Rosalina came in with her associations to Ted and Grey. Grey took his place after his interactions with Rosalina and Millie. Millie was able to join with a hand up from Grey and Ms. Pendergast. Ms. Pendergast sought out help from Millie and Cheyenee. Cheyenne sits proudly with approval from Ms. Pendergast and Ted. Last night you all enjoyed a dinner on your last night in this small city, eyes set on the horizon you are all ready to seek out the next town for your various goals.

The road now is mostly clear with the sun behind the low clouds, threatening to rain as you travel to the next town. You travel between two biomes, to your right is the start of a swamp, moisture is thick in the air from there, the smell of decomposition is oppressive, and the trees sprout from the water. To your left the hills rise into rolling plains that go on into the mountains on the horizon. The road you walk is made of smooth rounded stones from some nearby riverbed, and held together by hard packed dirt that has been pounded down over and over again by people who use this route. As the sun begins to set over the rolling hills to your left, you see around the bend several colorful flags. This is obviously intended to get peoples attention, drawing you closer. You see that there is an entrance to a road leading into the swamp. The road is elevated above the placid brackish water. Several colorful signs remind you a carnaval put on by traveling troupes or nomatic people.

WELCOME!

Seek the unknown

Follow the path to your future

There are arrows that point down the path, calling you to follow the signs for answers you may seek.
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-01-15 at 03:07 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rose's ears perk up at the sign reading 'the unknown'. That has her curiosity.

"Anyone up to see if this carnival is the real deal? A little odd that it was set up in the swamp and not the plains on the other side..." Rose looks between the biomes and ponders. He then looks at her traveling companions, hoping they too are interested in checking this out.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

looking at the well traveled path, and the side path into the swap to this carnaval. While this could be an amusing thing to attend, do we need to be down the road in any particular time frame, as that may be an issue if we spend time here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It hadn't been too long since Cheyanne had first been lost in the planes and ended up in the City of Doors (and other, less pleasant domains), only about two weeks or so. After going to sleep in Mechanus and waking in a much more...normal...city she'd first gone looking for her strange companions without success. Such experiences force a person to go with the flow more readily than before, so the Iroran monk just shrugged. "You wouldn't believe how little I'm bothered by diversions these days. My training is interrupted - likely permanently - and I know how I could ever get back." Cheyanne said without a hint of self-pity or sadness. Instead her steady tone and peaceful expression suggest that she is strangely comfortable with it all. "Carnivals would have been off limits at the monastery, but I figure you can improve yourself anywhere if you keep the right attitude. Let's go!"

Without waiting to see what the others do, the exotic-looking and graceful woman begins walking ahead, her eyes scanning the sides of the road our of habit as she comfortably takes the lead. As if following an unspoken routine, she tends to move far enough ahead of the others - especially anyone armored or making much noise - that she has a good chance of seeing or hearing potential threats before they find her, or her party.

Spoiler: OoC and Mechanics
    Show
    As a baseline I am assuming that Cheyanne is at least one of the scouting PCs, so she will generally range ahead of the rest of the party out of habit. Taking 10 on Perception gives her a 16. If she gets the feeling that there is anyone ahead she will first make a gesture to silently warn the others - usually a raised fist in the air - before taking 10 on Stealth for a 17 and creeping forward further to scout out any potential encounters, including benign ones.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: Dazzled - Active Effects: None - Senses: Darkvision (30 ft.)

---------------

Daylight has never been a friend, burning his eyes with its brightness and leaving him without the warm, pleasant cawl of shadows that he's used to; but even though Gareth (or as he usually goes, Grey) might be a nocturnal animal, the others are not and so he has to endure until sunset with the slight protection offered by a hooded cloak. It is why the signs that point at a carnival close by are so tempting, a promise of shelter against the cursed sun - but Rosalina makes a good point, so Grey warily looks at the road leading towards the swamp and shares his thoughts with the others.

"Two crowns it's a scam. Might be also dangerous, but my money is on a con." he chimes in with a shrug "We could take a look but I would keep my purse close, if you catch my drift." that said, he follows Cheyanne down the road - the pale man does seem quite proficient in moving unseen and unheard if the need arises and he's cautious enough to not completely trust whoever thought camping in a swamp was a capital idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Take 10 is allowed, Perception is 13 (unless we're no longer in normal light, otherwise is 14) and Stealth is 21.
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2023-01-16 at 05:20 AM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says ”If it’s real, I want to see this carnival. We could use the distraction in this dreary place. In the likely event that it’s a scam, well, we are not as easy a prey as some other travelers. We should check it out.”
    Last edited by kinem; 2023-01-16 at 02:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Rose takes a moment to secure her purse out of view, tucked underneath clothing. "Grey makes a good point-- watch your wallets. But if nothing else, they might have some sweets for sale." She tugs the strap gently to lead her donkey off the beaten path towards the swamp, but lets Cheyanne have a lead so as not to interfere with her scouting.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

"A carnival?", somehow, the smell of rotting swamp cabbage made the idea of a carnival seem absolutely absurd. Something about it seemed especially offputting, and it tickled Amelie's nose for trouble something fierce. "No good will come of this", she grumped mentally, perhaps as much from the gift of headpain from last night's wine as the scenario, but still her intuition about such things were usually good, too good. Still...this was just the sort of thing her brother Liam loved as a child, and it was the sort of ridiculous diversion that he always seemed drawn too. A carnival was a opportune location to pick up her brother's trail once again. Misgivings aside, this was a chance that had to be explored.

"Two crowns seems a bit steep indeed, but I am wont to see what the Unknown holds for us."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With a group consensus, you all travel down the raised path into the swamp. Water Cypress and other Aquatic Trees quickly grow in number and begin to blot out the sky covering your path from the light. Darkness begins to settle over the swamp,cloaking the dense undergrowth in darkness and turning the water’s surface to black. With it comes a clinging, creeping fog, rising from the water like spectral steam. The fog surrounds you, its dampness caressing you like cold, dead hands. The swamp seems to retreat from the mists, its sights and sounds disappearing into some unseen distance. All that remains visible is the cold, choking fog. Even your companions seem far away. For a moment, everything is quiet. What few sounds you can hear are amplified by the surrounding mists: your own breathing, your beating heart. Then the fog begins to dissipate, fading away as quickly as it appeared, leaving you and your companions alone in the dismal swarm. Your way is dimly lit with a path of colorful paper lanturns that are set upon the raised road. The road continues for a while into the night until you reach a penninsula. The dark water surrounds the raised ground on three sides, the light from the lanturns not going far from the road. The sounds of frogs croaking has become loud and ever present. To the south, beyond the darkness you can see a light, guiding you beyond the waters edge.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Here is a link for Roll20 so you can see a map of the location you are at. Pre-emptively, roll initiative everyone, even though we are not YET in combat. https://app.roll20.net/join/14624919/0M4yEw
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-01-16 at 06:58 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Rolling for Intiative: (1d20+4)[16]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Initiative: (1d20+2)[19]
    looking around for signs of trouble

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

As it gets darker Cheyanne removes a small, dull grey gemstone from a pocket and gently drops it into orbit around her head. The little rock glows brightly like a torch, but isn't able to push back the pending gloom, especially the sudden onset of mists. As the cloying moisture gets thickest Cheyanne groans and mutters, "I'll bet it's happening again...we're crossing a planar line," and looks back to see if she's crossing alone or with her new companions. With a sigh of relief she notes that she can still see all of them and turns to continue moving forward, all her senses tuned tightly to observe anything she can about the new world they're about to find. "As long as we're on regular land I'll be alright. No more gear-cities, I hope...or that dreadful wind...ugh."

When their path dead-ends at the swampy water's edge Cheyanne gets low to the ground and starts looking about intensely. She holds up her fist for a moment before catching her Ioun Torch in her hand and dimming its light dramatically. In the darkness she tries to hide more effectively and waits for several moments, listening and looking around...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cheyanne has low-light vision, but does need a suitable light source to see. She uses her Ioun Torch to shift back and forth as needed, since the Continual Flame spell on it won't burn her or anything. When she's trying to hide she will generally hold it so that it doesn't give her away with its light.

Perception (1d20+6)[26], Initiative (1d20+5)[22]

14. - Top - End - #14

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None - Senses: Darkvision (30 ft.)

---------------

Grey is a bit bothered by the magical light Cheyanne takes from her pocket, he truly hoped he could finally be surrounded by the comforting embrace of darkness, a brief sigh at the realization that working others is proving to be harder than he initially thought would be. Still, he says nothing for the moment - if danger lurks in the shadows of this swamp among the rising fog, it would be of little use to complain about a torch.

Of greater concern if Cheyanne's mention of a planar transition - could such a thing truly happen in such a way?

"Have a feeling I lost my two crowns." he says half-jokingly with barely more than a whisper, but the sudden appearance of colourful lights tracing a path through the swamp take him aback - might the stress of skipping town and be part of an adventurer's group made him a bit paranoid?

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+2)[13]
    If allowed, I would also roll Knowledge (Planes) about the alleged planar transition (1d20+7)[17]
    And last but not least, a Perception roll (1d20+4)[13] to see if there's any danger around

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: DC 15 Perception
    Show

The swamp seems darker than before, the nearby trees have become dark twisting shadows with clawlike branches reaching out towards you. A foul odor rises up from the murky water. Overhead through the twisted branches even the sky looks strange. The stars look out of position and the moon is much too close than it should be, nearly full. Menacing clouds are rolling in behind you. Like a curtain of black smoke. It takes no time for the clouds to blot out the stars, casting you into further darkness.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show

The swamp is watching you. You know it, shadows slithering out of sight at the edge of your peripheral vision. The sound of frogs is omnipresent, but off... that loud song of frogs isn't a chorus of a multitude of frogs.... its a few.... loud frogs, louder than you've ever heard.

Spoiler: Perception DC 25
    Show

You can see bats moving in the shadows, rats jumping from cypress to cypress, snakes and crocodiles in the water. Most of these are normal swamp creatures, but there is something menacing, something vile in their eyes.

Spoiler: knowledge planes
    Show

You are definitely not on the same plane anymore
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-01-17 at 03:34 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

16. - Top - End - #16

"I expected more con artist than condensation..."

Rose moves one hand to her side where her component pouch is. This place is creepier than she expected, and she considers her defensive magic for protection.

Perception (1d20+2)[10]
    Initiative (1d20+8)[10]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Miss Pentagrast

The hairs on the back of Amelie's Neck rise perceptively, she is overcome with an overwhelming sense of dread, and being watched.

"There...there is something OUT there, WATCHING us...we..we are not alone...I feel, I feel like this whole cursed swamp means us harm...I don't know...I think...I think it would be best if we leave this place with all due haste."

18. - Top - End - #18

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None - Senses: Darkvision (30 ft.)

---------------

"We're no longer on the Prime." the shadowy figure says to the others that might sense the concern in his voice "I do not know where we are, but Cheyanne was in the right - we crossed a portal." that said, his hand goes to the dagger on his side - who knows what they might find wherever they are?

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

"I'm probably cursed - that's why it keeps happening to me - but this place definitely feels like a different plane. It's not as bad as Pandemonium, but even the animals I can see around here look evil somehow.

Oh, and don't bother trying to go back. It won't work, never has for me, at least...
    " Cheyanne says, a bit sullenly, as she continues to creep forward, looking for a way to cross the water without swimming with who-knows-what in the dark.

20. - Top - End - #20

Rose scrunches her nose at the darkness. She doesn't see whatever it is Amelie does, but the roguish human has far keener eyesight than Rose did.

"No one here is cursed," Rose speaks up. She keeps her position in the party. "There are a plethora of beings that can summon mortals through portals... and I did not mean to rhyme that."

She mentally goes over the incantation in her head. Magic to protect herself if there really is danger afoot. Rose casts the spell, surrounding herself with a tangible force.

"Keep your wits about you. If we've been summoned through a portal, I think we shouldn't keep our summoner waiting. I say we continue ahead... carefully of course." Rose is curious where they are; if there's powerful magics at work, she would love to study them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Mage Armor
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2023-01-19 at 06:30 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says "I don't know why you think we went through a planar portal, but if we did, we should certainly try to go back. In the long run, I have a lot of unfinished business back home. I can't afford to be trapped on some strange new world."

OOC:
    Perception (1d20+5)[25]
    Survival (to see if anything is abnormal) (1d20+5)[15]
    Initiative (1d20+2)[17]

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "No one here is cursed,"
    Cheyanne very quietly snorts in disagreement. "I've spent too much time accidentally traveling the planes recently...most I've seen were pretty nasty, so I cand only assume that there is some dark will acting upon here, though I don't know how." she says by way of explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Ted says "I don't know why you think we went through a planar portal, but if we did, we should certainly try to go back. In the long run, I have a lot of unfinished business back home. I can't afford to be trapped on some strange new world."
    "It's a feeling you get, and we can try if you insist. It's never worked for me. I can relate, though. All of my life was left behind when I wound up in Sigil. It can be frustrating, but when the only way to go is forward..." Cheyanne shrugs resignedly.

For her part, the monk doesn't turn back, instead looking to the place where water and land meet and trying to see if there is a way to follow the lights without having to swim...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Cheyanne
    Show

As your perception check revealed, at the very edge of your vision you think you might see some fallen tree logs that could be used to avoid getting wet, but you'd need to get closer to confirm.
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

moving forward nearer to the front Millie has her psycrystal with its unique sense have a look around to see what it can tell

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Millie
    Show

Your PsiCrystal tells you about everything within 40ft, the trees, the water, the raised road, but nothing new. It cannot see beyond what Rose can.

Festival of Heroes:

26. - Top - End - #26

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: Cloak of Darkness (1 hr.)

---------------

The swamp does look dangerous, even though Grey couldn't spot any immediate threat; still, he decides it was better to be safe than sorry. The shadows all around start stretching towards Grey, a silent call for them to protect him and make him harder to see among the darkness. That deed done, he slowly nods to Cheyanne so that she would know he's watching her back and keeps following the planar traveller towards the murky waters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grey uses Cloak of Darkness (+4 AC, +2 Stealth)

27. - Top - End - #27

Rose keeps up with the group, holding her wits about, occasionally glancing behind her. She feels slightly safer with her Mage Armor spell cast. Slightly.

"If we did go through a portal, I don't see it behind us," Rose says. "Well, we didn't see it from the other side either. Hmm."

She watches her step, passing the tree on her left. "If some 'Dark Will' summoned us, we might not have seen the gate in that instance. Begs the question, 'why?'"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (Planes) to put together some guesses on where we could be. (1d20+9)[22]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Rose
    Show

Out there, on fallen logs sit three LARGE frogs, they are singing together in a chorus that is certainly the source of the frog sounds.

You are not sure what plane you could be on
    Festival of Heroes:

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne inches towards the logs, hopeful that they rest on some earth below and could be used to pass through the swamp without getting too wet. She continues to sneak, attempting to see without being seen by any would-be predators...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+7)[22]
    Perception - (1d20+6)[22]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Cheyanne
    Show

You sneak about 20 ft forward until you spot three LARGE frogs sitting on the logs, thier dark skin allowing them to blend into the dim light of the area. They are the source of the Frog song. They have not reacted to your presence.
    Festival of Heroes: