New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

Spoiler: Ooc:
    Show
    There are no Vistani around town,
    you saw the last of them leaving town on your way in. Out in the swamp, in the wagon

"Names Deruno, I once was an adventurer, this was the last of my own gear from my travels, though that axe I think I got from an orc champion. While I'd be glad to take that axe off your hands, I really don't have coin or even goods that would be enough to cover its value."

He scratches his head.

"I could commission a weapon to be sent here, but that could be 6 months to a year waiting "
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    "Thanks, guess I'll ask the maids then." Grey says back to Deruno, even though he does not seem that hopeful he might find any answers there. He nods to the store owner and makes his way out as well and shrugs to Cheyanne asking about their future plans "I mean, we are going back to the inn regardless sooner or later." the shadowy man then tsks like there's something nagging at him "Jean was the murderer, that we know. But was he also responsible for the dead rising? He did not seem a mage."
    Rose will offer to sell her old crossbow since carrying two would be burdensome for a somewhat lanky gal like herself.

Otherwise, she straps the sword cane to her belt and slings the new crossbow before heading outside the shop. She adds after Grey, "I am wondering about that last part too. He didn't have anything on him that would be useful in a necromantic ritual, so are his materials hidden away, or did he have a partner?"

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Spoiler: Ooc:
    Show
    There are no Vistani around town,
    you saw the last of them leaving town on your way in. Out in the swamp, in the wagon
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Ah. Guess I am misinterpreting the rumors of this morning at breakfast.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grey - HP: 24\24 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

After the fruitless search for the Vistani - they have skipped town and Grey can't really fault them for leaving while they could - he sighs and nods in the direction of the inn "Let's head back. I'm tired and hungry. And maybe Katha knows something - or someone - that could shed some light about the life of that cursed Jean." he groans and shakes his head "I wonder if we even had a chance to save Luc, you know? I mean, not that I cared much about him, but I guess he trusted us. We let him down. Seems these people here are trusting us, fear we might let down them as well."
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

4. - Top - End - #754

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    "I wonder if we even had a chance to save Luc, you know? I mean, not that I cared much about him, but I guess he trusted us. We let him down. Seems these people here are trusting us, fear we might let down them as well."
    Rose throws a very weak punch against Grey's shoulder, like a tap, solely to get his attention. "Hey, what kind of talk is that? I'm sad too about what happened to Luc, but we did nothing wrong! Luc left that room because he needed to show us something, and he did! We now have a copy of a prophesy he was reading and it has to be important to what's going on, right?" Rose clings to hope that Luc's death will not be in vain. She folds her arms to think.

"We haven't let Luc down yet. If we can just figure out the last piece of this puzzle. Who did Jean mean that shouldn't get the scroll. Luc? The constable? Maybe... whoever is actually raising the dead? Grey, I think a stop at the tavern is a good idea. A meal might help while we review the prophesy. It might have clues that'll help us."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2023-08-14 at 04:39 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted thanks Deruno and declines his offer of having a weapon commissioned.

Walking to the in. With the others, he says ”I really don’t think Jean was the necromancer behind this. He was a warrior. Perhaps the priest would know a way to get some information from a dead man?”

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As you come into the Inn you see a few people from town sitting at various tables, this is likely the most busy youve seen the inn. People are talking, gossiping, eating. They stop as you enter and give a round of applause. The Innkeeper speaks up.

"Wed like to thank you, for helping stop the murders. Tonights Food is free for everyone, and you have a free room for the rest of your time here."

There is a small line of people who have approached you, all looking to shake your hands and thank you.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne, looking distinctly uncomfortable at all the attention, tries to avoid the center of attention, instead quietly asking one of the servers for dinner and trying to make her way to a corner to sit. If asked, she says, "I was sorry to have to kill him, but I'm glad you and your family are now safe," and similar statements, but doesn't say anything to the crowd as a whole...

8. - Top - End - #758

Rose eeps softly with all the attention around them. She politely shakes hands and remains humble.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #759

---------------

Grey grunts at Rose's attempt of raising morale and answers with a non-committal "Guess so..." and as the others, he heads towards the inn. Needless to say, he's quite surprised of the welcome he gets from the locals, he might know how to make people like him but this kind of reaction is new to him. At first he hesitates, he shakes hands but does not really know what to do; but then he just shrugs and goes with the flow, telling the story of what happened to whoever would like to listen (even though he tip-toes around the more gruesome and gory details, better to focus on the mystery and adventure of what happened to the party until now).

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You are eventually able to make it to a table, and after some time you are not being constantly visited by villagers wanting to say a kind word to you. Katha comes round with an Ale for each of you.

"Kitchen is open to what ever you'd like, as long as we can fix it, its on the menu tonight."
    Festival of Heroes:

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted is not enthusiastic about the congratulations going around. ”Stay alert. We stopped a murderer, but I doubt the matter is done with. There are still ghouls out there, too.”

12. - Top - End - #762

---------------

When Grey finally manages to have a seat at the table he sighs contently, a bit reassured that the path he has taken (leave Neverwinter and become an adventurer) might be the right one. And when Katha approaches the party, he flashes a friendly smiles and nods "Thanks, Katha. Even though right now I would appreciate some words more than food." he clears his throat and looks around to be sure no one is close enough to hear "Heard that Jean spent quite some time here and were friendly with the people working here. Do you perchance knows if he had...well, some friend versed in magic? Or some place he spent time outside his house and the plantation?"

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Katha sits with the group when she is asked for words.

"Jean huh? Jean enjoyed a drink and a good talk about the going on of the town. Like a spider listening to the vibrations on thier web. The last day or two he asked about you lot, where you had gone, what you had been up to. Names, personalities, pretty much asking about each of you as an individual. But it wasnt all at once, it was spaced out, alot like gossiping I guess. But that was Jean I guess."

She pauses when asked about if he had a magical friend.

"The Priest is the only magical person in town anymore, since the eldest brother died."
    Festival of Heroes:

14. - Top - End - #764

Rose is happy to finally have a table to sit behind. She wants to order some stew, but as the others start their questions, she'll wait until they get their answers.

For now, Rose will look at the copy of the scroll she wrote and ponder over the words in her head.

Spoiler: The Scroll copy
    Show

These signs were foreseen by Hyskosa, a vistani most gifted with the Sight. Spread word of these wherever you travel. Only the true hearted can stop the night of evil.

The night of evil shall descend on the land
    When thus Hexad of signs are near at hand.

"In the house of Daegon the sorcerer born, Though life, unlife, unliving shall scorn."

"The lifeless child of stern mother found. Heralds a time, night of evil unbound."

"Seventh time the son of suns doth rise, To send the knave to an eternity of cries."

"Inajira will make his fortunes reverse, Dooming all to live with the dreaded curse."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    This part of the scroll is torn away
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"The light of the sky shining over the dead, Shall gutter and fail, turning all to red."

Rose wrinkles her nose, and since everyone is asking questions, she adds in, "So... who were the first folks to die in all this? I'm trying to pull a timeline in my head here of when it started to present."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As the conversation continues, thunder rattles the village as the wind whistles and whips about outside. Katha looks to rose.

"Id say the first death in the last two weeks or so would be Marcel Tarascon, the eldest brother."
    Festival of Heroes:

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says ”Please tell us more about Marcel. What kind of spellcaster was he? What kind of man?”

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Katha considers Teds question.

"He was a bookish, learned sort, always a book in hand, while Jean was the brother who busied himself with the town, Marcel was concerned with the past. He even spoke about thier ancestor, the founder of our town, Pierre Tarascon. He spoke of a chance encounter that Pierre had with some Vistani Seer who told him some sort of insights or some sort of power. And Marcel was convinced it was written down somewhere in town."
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #768

---------------

Grey ponders the information Katha shares with them, then asks a bit reluctantly "Have to ask, did you actually see the body of Marcel?" trying to find a way out of this whole situation - Jean has been stopped, but Grey looks quite worried and it is not hard to understand the reason.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Katha pauses to Greys question.

"You know? No. There was no viewing, and no public funeral, they had a private family affair, but no... never saw marcels dead body."
    Festival of Heroes:

20. - Top - End - #770

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne coughs loudly, hinting at what she thinks of the situation and then dispelling all doubt. "We've fought several ghouls already - if Marcel was an arcanist with any talent for necromancy he may have wanted to join the ranks of the undead, perhaps to lead them. I'm not a betting woman, but if I were..." she trails off, her suggestion clear to anyone listening. "If Jean was still involved, it may have been to stop his ghoulish brother from getting that scroll." Cheyanne points meaningfully at the scroll in Rose's hands. "I don't understand it, but Marcel likely does...and shouldn't get to see a copy..."

21. - Top - End - #771

---------------

"I would say that a talk with Brucian is in order, then." Grey adds to what Cheyanne has said, implicitly agreeing there is a good chance this Marcel might be the one responsible for what is happening in town. He then nods to the maid and thanks her for the information - she might've given them what they needed to put an end to this story.

22. - Top - End - #772

"Hmm, well the sorcerer born and the life, unlife stuff... You know, that kinda lines up?" Rose suggests. "Well if Marcel is around, then I agree, he, or whoever is behind the undead, shouldn't get ahold of this. But... what's our next step? Talking with Brucian is an idea, but we need some way to find whoever is raising the dead. They can't be that far away."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2023-08-19 at 11:28 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #773

---------------

"That is why I want to talk with Brucian, Rose." Grey says to the tiefling wizard, keeping his voice low in fear the people of the town might hear him "If this Marcel is really behind the dead rising, the priest has to know something. After all, he is the one holding the funeral around here."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As the storm threatened to break, a stroke of lightning flashed outside as a crack of thunder rattles the building. One of the waitresses screams as the owners wife falls over the counter, her eyes rolled back. Her husband shakes her trying to rouse her. A groan escapes her lips as she raises up, the sauntering recognizable to the party as the walk of an undead creature. She lunges towards the parties table, her hand outreaching, grasping for the paper in roses hand.

Spoiler: OCC
    Show

The party has initiative as a group, the four of you can post actions.
    Festival of Heroes:

25. - Top - End - #775

---------------

"What the..." Grey starts saying before he understands what is actually happening - what he believed was a safe haven is revealed to be as dangerous as the rest of the town. He sees the undead lunging towards Rose, so he puts himself in front of the tiefling to shield her with his body and prevent the enemy from capturing the prize, pure istincts guiding his actions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another to give Rose +2 AC, here's the roll (1d20+5)[18]

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted doesn't know how it happened or how the locals will see it, but he knows what it's like to be bitten by a ghoul and feels like he needs to put a quick end to this latest threat.

He draws his new butchering axe and lets his pent-up anger do the talking.

OOC: Rage; Attack (1d20+10)[16], damage (3d6+11)[23]

27. - Top - End - #777

Rose yelps, and with papers in hand, backs away from the sauntering woman. She looks around, guarding herself in case there's others.

"So that's... a thing happening," she remarks, free hand on the hilt of the walking cane. "We should go "

(Rose is on defense, watching her back)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #778

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Cheyanne's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Cheyanne Julus
    Female Lawful Good Half-Orc Monk/Paladin/Champion of Irori, Level 2/1/0, Init 5, HP 33/33, Speed 30 ft
    AC 21, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 21, Fort 9, Ref 7, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+3, 20/x2)
    No Armor (+2 Bracers of Armor, +2 Dex, +4 Cha, +3 Natural AC)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Condition None

"Whoa there! Let me try to hold her!" Cheyanne cries as she moves to grapple the undead(?) woman. "What happened to her? She was alive a moment ago!"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move and initiate a grapple. With the feat "Unarmed Combatant" she doesn't incur an AoO for doing this.

Grapple attempt: (1d20+7)[14].

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Between the four of you, you chop the lady down, and protect rose from the undead attacking her. Thunder strikes again as Priest Brucian appears in the door way. He looks terrified and disheveled.

"I think I should tell you something... Jean is awake in his coffin, locked down, but moving around inside."
    Festival of Heroes:

30. - Top - End - #780

NecromancerGuy

"Of course he is..." mutters Cheyanne as she gets up off the now re-dead woman. Looking down and shaking her head in sadness and disgust she asks, more loudly, "How are the living turning into undead without warning? If they were dead and animated, I'd understand. If they were undead and hiding it, I'd understand, but she was alive just moments ago! I'm no wizard or priest - can someone explain this to me?"