New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Any of you have a knife, dagger, sword ... something I can use to harvest one of these leather bags I want a pair of boots, yes I am also wounded but short of a wrap I can do not magical healing.

Millie takes the time to safety the crossbow but loads it as it seems there is a nonstop of things that like eat people.
    Miss Pendagrast

Amelie proffers up the exquisite Animal Bane dagger.

"This should do the job, Millie, Gods know I can't hit anything with it."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

uses the Animal Bane dagger, to carve up one of the crocodiles hide, removal of at least two feet to include claws, and some teeth for embellishment

(see ooc for details)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Millie is able to not only skin, but detooth, declaw, debone, dress, and section off crocodile meat for days of rations for all 6 crocs.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted assists Millie in salvaging the crocodile meat and other body parts.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rose pats Cheyanne on the back. "Looks like your luck turned around at the end there. Nailed 'em good."

The tiefling then turns her attention to the injured Amelie. "Oh, that looks bad. Grey! Anything you can do for Amelie?" she pleads.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Once the bits are harvested & crafted, Millie returns the dagger, and passes out croc meat rations.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Everyone gets 2 days of rations and a set of crocodile boots. The next several hours of travel are slow to pass, bleeding into the next, marked only by low thunder from a storm that threatens to break constantly. The air is thick with humidity and smells of the rot of a swamp. The paper lanterns weave to and fro through out the swamp, to the point where you are certain without them, you would be lost, as there is no way to see the sun or any other guide post to direct you to your location. You all are able to share watches, resting while others keep watch, someone always taking a turn paddling the raft to follow the paper lanterns. Day passes, 1 ration is consumed for everyone. The days stretches impossibly long. The smells of the swamp are finally disrupted as you can all smell something.... someone is cooking a meal. As you come to this realization you can hear in the distance, in the direction that the lanterns lead.... a fiddle is being played gently but at a quick pace, the closer you follow, the louder it gets.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #158

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

Grey retrieves the knife he had dropped to use the sling - sure, he has more on him but given how hostile this Plane has been until now, the grey-ish man doesn't seem fond of giving away any tool that could help him survive. When Rose points out Amelie is in need of healing he sighs and nods; he then approaches the noblewoman, lays a hand on her shoulder and starts chanting in some weird, discordant language that might sound ominous to the untrained ear and after a few moments, the shadows of swamp answer to Grey's call and embrace Amelie - until they leave her a bit colder but healed of (most) her wounds. That done, he proceeds to share whatever's left of his shadowy powers to heal whoever is still injured if they let him.

That done, he takes his "seat" on one end of the raft. And while he accepts the meat (even though he doesn't seem so enthusiastic of eating the remains of the crocodiles) he gives Millie and the boots a puzzled look. He still accepts the leather shoes, but doesn't seem keen on wearing them and instead pushes them into his backpack with a shrug "Might sell these for some gold, I guess." he says before shaking his head "Assuming whoever lives on this Plane even knows what 'coinage' is, of course.".

"Guess we found people. We need intelligence, I would say we should go meet them. At worst, we could fight people instead of huge lizards with a penchant for grabbing people." Grey says half-jokingly to his companions, pointing in the direction where the music is coming from. But before the raft finally reaches the nearby shore he carefully hides two of his daggers between his clothes, leaving just a third in plain sight for all too see.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grey casts Cure Light Wounds x2 on Amelie.
    (1d8+2)[5]
    (1d8+2)[9]

And casts two Cure Light Wounds more on whoever is wounded still.
    (1d8+2)[10]
    (1d8+2)[9]

Before reaching shore, Grey uses Sleight of Hand to conceal two of his three daggers.
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[15]
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2023-02-14 at 09:59 AM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Sorry about that..." apologizes Cheyanne. "I was getting frustrated and lost control. Very embarrassing, really," she mutters as she recovers her weapons and helps steady the injured. She accepts the rations and does her part, largely silent as she looks out into the swamp. If asked she simply says, "This is a long, long way for paper lanterns. I'll bet they're at least a little magical..."

At the smell of cooked food her stomach rumbles audibly, eliciting a blush that is hard to see in the poor light. Cheyanne nods at Grey and slips into the muck, quietly sneaking forward to scout out this supposed circus...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[15]
    Perception: (1d20+6)[13]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

stows her croc boots for later and then after eating some croc rations, millie sneaks up with Cheyanne

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

stealth: (1d20+8)[14]
    Perception: (1d20+10)[30]

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Miss Pendagrast -
    AC: 17 - HP: 14/14 - Perception: +9

Amelie's relief is visible as Grey administers his healing touch.

"Thank you, Gareth, I never really appreciated how wonderful it is to breath easy. I owe you greatly."

Miss Pendagrast says this with a weight that says she will someday be prepared to repay the favor.
    The mood turns much lighter after she receives the boots, the meat, and her dagger back. She tries them on and admires them, but decides to stash them in her pack so as to not ruin another pair of boots in this Gods forsaken swamp.

"Millie, these boots are the best! I will cherish them always!"

As they approach the sound of the fiddling, Miss Pendagrast is more than a little apprehensive, and reluctant to enter the muck of the swamp again.

"Be careful", she whispers to Cheyanne, and sits as non-confrontationally as she can, with her daggers hidden in sleeves.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted thanked Grey for the healing and stored away the new boots.

When they finally hear the sound suggesting people are nearby, Ted stays to guard the boat for now, as he’s not the best at sneaking around.

13. - Top - End - #163

Rose cheerfully accepts the new boots and puts them on, stowing her other boots after cleaning them with a quick spell. "Thanks Millie!"

On the subject of the lanterns, Rose studies them as they go by. "We've been traveling for two days. These things must have a continual light enchanted upon their wicks." She casts detect magic to study them a little better through arcane eyes.

The the music on the morrow gets her attention. She opens her mouth to say something, but seeing others move stealthily on the raft, she quiets down and stays to the back. Rose listens, and glances back behind the party just in case.... this place is starting to make her paranoid.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rose examines the lanturns, they seem to radiate a necromantic aura, they function not unlike will o wisps, ghost lights.

A little island of dry land rises out of the stagnant water. Bright light comes from a fire that forms the center of a small camp. In the flickering light, you can clearly see a colorful wagon, two old mares, three gaily-clad children, and an old woman. A moment later, two men step into view. One is old and thin, the other young and strong. They settle themselves beside the fire. Then the old man looks up, directing the gaze of his good
    eye upon you. The other eye is milky and blank. The man smiles and motions with his withered hand, inviting you to join his group.

"Come.... Come.... you are expected. You have my word, this night you will find no danger you do not seek, as long as you sit at our fire"

The Children play with wooden knives, tossing/juggling them back and forth between them, The children have already learned a sort of muscle memory to juggle the 4.... no 6 wooden knives between the three of them. They laugh and speak in titters and giggles, a language that is foreign to you.
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted attempts to take one of the lanterns along the river.

OOC: He is not yet within sight of the camp.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Millie getting the feeling they were spotted while looking at things, activates her Dorje Thicken Skin (48/50 charges) 60 min, Manifests Inertial Armor (ML 2, PP 3) 2 hours
    AC is now 20 for at least 1 hour

Millie maneuvers herself back towards the party and positions herself in the middle of the group

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As Ted reaches out and picks up a Lanturn, it crumbles in his hands, like trying to hold butterfly wings, The light flickers out as the laterns turns into a shimmering blue dust on Teds Hand.
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #168

Rose's eyes widen when she picks up the aura of the lanterns. Her reaction is more fascination than surprise, but there is a little bit of surprise in there.

When Ted picks one up and it crumbles, Rose inspects the dust on his hands. "These lanterns-- they radiate an aura of necromancy, not unlike a will o wisp. Perhaps they are shepherds for those who arrive to this land from elsewhere. They helped us get this far. ...we could save the dust for later." Rose offers to put the dust in a little pouch to study later. It is a fascinating thing.

Now that the group finds an encampment with people they can talk too, Rose seems a bit eager to get off the raft and settle by the fire. When the raft gets to the island, she will approach and sit by the fire.

"We are expected you say? By whom, if I may ask?" Rose inquires. A moment later she blinks. "Oh right. My name is Rose. And these are my companions." Rose hesitates if they want to use their names or not. She herself usually goes by her nickname just to keep introductions easy.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #169

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Rose examines the lanturns, they seem to radiate a necromantic aura, they function not unlike will o wisps, ghost lights.

A little island of dry land rises out of the stagnant water. Bright light comes from a fire that forms the center of a small camp. In the flickering light, you can clearly see a colorful wagon, two old mares, three gaily-clad children, and an old woman. A moment later, two men step into view. One is old and thin, the other young and strong. They settle themselves beside the fire. Then the old man looks up, directing the gaze of his good
    eye upon you. The other eye is milky and blank. The man smiles and motions with his withered hand, inviting you to join his group.

"Come.... Come.... you are expected. You have my word, this night you will find no danger you do not seek, as long as you sit at our fire"

The Children play with wooden knives, tossing/juggling them back and forth between them, The children have already learned a sort of muscle memory to juggle the 4.... no 6 wooden knives between the three of them. They laugh and speak in titters and giggles, a language that is foreign to you.

Miss Pendagrast

It all seems a bit surreal, and yet, somehow Amelie gets the feeling that to deny the invitation would be more dangerous than to accept it. Amelie strides into the camp with a confidence she tries desperately to believe is real.

"You honor us Grandfather, I, am Ms. Amelie Pendagast," she says with a curtsie before taking the proffered seat. "And these are my companions." She gestures towards her friends, allowing them to introduce themselves as they wish. "We bring meat, would you share with us?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception: [roll0]
    Diplomacy: [roll1]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I am old Scarengi, don't be frightened, come we have some Chilone cooking, crocodile meat will give it some more flavor."

The fiddle playing continues as the old man stands to lift the top off the pot, those close enough can see bits of corn, sausage, potatoes, onions, crayfish, and shrimp cooking in the pot, the broth looks to be well spiced.

The longer you are here, and the closer you get, you realize the fiddle playing is coming from behind the colorful wagon door. The children have taken notice of new comers and are beginning to watch, they've pointed at each of you at some point, chattering and giggling in some foreign tongue. Sitting by the fire, the younger man raises a hand toward the children and they silence themselves as the older woman ushers them aside to wash up for dinner. The old man speaks.

"Sitting by the fire is my son Carloni, those are his children washing up with my love and light Ryana."

He pauses as he listens to the fiddle for a moment.

"And in the Vardo is my Daughter, Valana. She said you would come tonight, and you have far to go... I cannot see so well.... there are supposed to be Hex wanderers...um.... six yes?"
    Festival of Heroes:

21. - Top - End - #171

---------------

So long for stealthy tactics, whoever these people are, they do seem to have been expecting the party. So Grey lands with the others, approaching the camp with a smile and a raised hand "Name's Grey." he says, friendly and chipper "And travelling through these swamps have left me soaked, so don't mind if I warm myself up a bit." and that said, he steps forward and sits a couple metres away from the fire - enough to bask in the pleasant warmth, but not so close that the light would hurt him much.

"So, do we know each other? I mean, not to sound rude, but I don't remember having ever met you or your fellows." he keeps going, talking to the older man "And I surely wasn't expecting you." he ends with a grin, still being amiable; but Grey remembers all too well the wisdom a criminal in Neverwinter shared with him: "You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a knife".

22. - Top - End - #172

NecromancerGuy

With an expression of mixed incredulity and disappointment Cheyanne watches as her companions step out of the swamp, into the light, and introduce themselves. Then she shrugs and walks out of the muck, shaking off the water and mud as she does. "Cheyanne," she says by way of introduction, bowing at the waste and doing what she can to dry off. "Can you tell us where we are? And in which plane?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The pot remains open, as if awaiting the offered crocodile meat, the old man Scarengi sits back down with a groan.

"Know you? I suppose not, I know what you will do, but I can't say which road you'll take to get there. But I'd just be spouting what my daughter told me, she's our seer. My son here, he's our strong man, can lift the Vardo by himself. My grand children are learning skills of dexterity and amusement. I'm an animal tamer and my love Ryana is....

From the distance a shrill scolding can be heard from the older woman.

"If I hear you tell another group that I'm the bearded lady, ill rip put your hairs they can't see!"

Scarengi grimaced and grins.

".... is an amazing cook!, but welcome, welcome to the land of Scourange. We are currently in the swamps surrounding Lake Noir. The Lord of these lands often stalks the swamps, so you'll want to leave the swamps as soon as possible, he.... is not pleasant. You'll want to go the town on the edge of the swamp. Marais d'Tarascon, built beside the plantation, you might even make it from there to Port d'Elhour. But first, join our fire you ... six yes? We shall share our fire, our food, and our talents."

Scarengi considers Cheyanne.

"This is an island upon the sea of dread... I believe I once heard an academic say we are so far gone within the deep ethereal that we no longer touch the material plane. "
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #174

"Aye, six... and thank you for your hospitality," Rose says. When she sees the children point to her, she does a quick cantrip of a couple musical notes between her fingers. Just a quick trick to try and impress them.

The food does seem tempting, and since the party has been here about a minute and not been attacked, maybe these folk are genuinely hospitable. "The Sea of Dread? Literal or figurative?"

Rose thinks back to her studies, if any plane has Dread in its name?
    Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+9)[27]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The young man Carloni speaks to Old Scarengi in the foreign language the children have been using. Scarengi nods and turned to Rose.

"A little of both, a better translation would be sea of sorrows, we are east of the core, the large land mass where most people live."

Spoiler: Rose
    Show

Dread is not often used in a naming convention outsideof the infinite planes of the Abyss, but in conjunction with sea of sorrows, you believe you've heard of a small demi plane, whose epithet is the The Domains of Dread. You know that demi plane is known for mists that reach across the planar realms and pulls people in, not unlike what happened to you. You believe you are in one of the many countries or domains, of Ravenloft.

Festival of Heroes:

26. - Top - End - #176

---------------

Grey (now a bit on edge, but more and more conviced this is some sort of scam) gives Old Scarengi a smirk and says "Fine, I'll bite. You say you know what we're going to do - what do you mean?" he looks around, to each of his newfound companions "Because the way I see it, none of us even knows what we're going to do tomorrow!" he chuckles, still puttiin on a show for these people so that he wouldn't be seen as much of a threat if the need for violence ever arises.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

At some point Carloni accepts what ever crocodile meat is offered and adds it to the stew, then serves out bowls for everyone with some bread. For those that eat, it tastes something akin to a low country boil or a gumbo due to the spices used.

Old Scarengi nods to Grey.

"My daughter, can see what was, what is unknown, and what is to be.... a river flows from the mountain to the ocean, we may not know the path the river will take, but we know the river will eventually get to the ocean, the water content may change, the amount of water may change, but eventually it will get to the end."

Scargeni takes a bite from his bowl of Chilone

"My daughter tells me that there are events that will happen no matter what, and others.... that are still changing, even as we speak. Does that make sense?"
    Festival of Heroes:

28. - Top - End - #178

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne listens carefully as she adds some meat to the pot, content to learn what she can from the old man and his answers. Even though she's traveled the planes some, she never did entirely understand the most intricate details and connections. "Are there portals from here back to the Prime? Or are such things rare and unknown to most of this plane's inhabitants? So far this place hasn't seemed too different from the Primes where I have been, though the creatures seemed unusually feral and violent. This isn't a Prime itself?" she asks as she accepts a bowl and begins to eat, once again listening to the explanations (if any) offered.

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

Miss Pendagrast

Miss Pendagrast chuckles at the exchange between husband and wife, it reminds her of simpler times, and is quite disarming, all the more reason to be on guard.
    "Thank you Grandfather, Scarengi, for this generous meal, we are blessed by both your wisdom and this bounty." Amelie says, trying to be as amiable as possible.

"Excuse our ignorance, but who is the Lord of Scourange, and what has put him in ill-temper?"
    Last edited by Ancient; 2023-02-16 at 03:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    "My daughter tells me that there are events that will happen no matter what, and others.... that are still changing, even as we speak. Does that make sense?"
    "No, it doesn't." Grey answers back to Scarengi, shaking his head; he's smiling a bit less now, the belief this is some sort of con becoming much more stronger now "I mean, you said you know what we're going to do. Well, what we're going to do?"