New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Star Wars universe has largely technologically plateued, and Boba has less armor and less armed gauntless than Jango. Along with, as already mentioned, different helmet.

Sabine is also a Mandalorian and embraces their culture while Boba is not and does not. Not the best comparison.
    Ok, lets try this. If I inherit a house from my dad, and I knock down a wall, build a deck and expand the garage, its still my dad's old house, I just changed it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ok, lets try this. If I inherit a house from my dad, and I knock down a wall, build a deck and expand the garage, its still my dad's old house, I just changed it.
    If your dad was a Peeleelandia national and you reject entirely the Peeleelandia culture and way of life and do not consider yourself Peeleelandish at all, then I would raise an eyebrow at you painting a mural of the flag of Peeleelandia on one of the walls, as a quick example.

And, again, this is more "tearing down a deck and reducing the garage". He has less armor, worsw gauntles, a different helmet, and very Mandalorian-centric crests adorning his armor despite his dad not having such crests and Boba openly rejecting being a Mandalorian at every turn.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-10 at 09:50 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If your dad was a Peeleelandia national and you reject entirely the Peeleelandia culture and way of life and do not consider yourself Peeleelandish at all, then I would raise an eyebrow at you painting a mural of the flag of Peeleelandia on one of the walls, as a quick example.

And, again, this is more "tearing down a deck and reducing the garage". He has less armor, worsw gauntles, a different helmet, and very Mandalorian-centric crests adorning his armor despite his dad not having such crests and Boba openly rejecting being a Mandalorian at every turn.
    It's not like he's gone out of his way to disparage the idea of mandalorian culture or overtly deny his connections to them or anything. He just doesn't call himself one directly.

I feel like youre making a lot of assumptions about his stance that arent supported by an actual textual evidence.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know. There's a lot of people in this world with Kanji tattoos and other cultural ornamentation that they wear just because they think it looks cool, without putting any thought to what it actually means or possible cultural appropriation. Perhaps Boba just likes how they look like any good goth teenager.

My sense from Boba is that his Dad was a foundling who more or less treated his Mandalorian cultural roots like background noise. Boba inherited that. I think he's been told more than once "you're not a real mandalorian!" by other mandalorians and shrugged his shoulders while being mildly annoyed. As far as he's concerned his cultural identity is "Jango Fett's son". So he prizes Jango Fett's armor because it was Jango Fetts, not because it is mandalorian.

As far as physical differences between Jango's armor and his armor currently, I think its fair to lay most of that at the feet of the prop designers. we are certainly meant to understand and believe they are the same armor with minor differences due to being rebuilt and added onto over time.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh did someone mention my favorite theory that the Star Wars galaxy is going through repeated systems collapse? Where war creates some surface level ingenuity but leads to infrastructure degrading to the point where interstellar civilization is having a rough time holding it all together.

I mean the Death Star is essentially a giant wound in the force, and I know it's Legends but the Holonet used to be a thing.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #96

It's not like he's gone out of his way to disparage the idea of mandalorian culture or overtly deny his connections to them or anything. He just doesn't call himself one directly.

I feel like youre making a lot of assumptions about his stance that arent supported by an actual textual evidence.
    I feel like youre making a lot of assumptions about my stance that arent supported by an actual textual evidence. I never said he disparaged Mandalorian culture. I said he rejects it and does not follow it. Which is canonically accurate.

Further, you're arguing that he changed his armor (even adding signets specifically alluding to a culture he does not care about) but kept the ship exactly as it was, down to the paintjob. That seems like a strange choice.

I, meanwhile, am saying "there's some bad writing by making them have the same armor, since they clearly are quite different". And this is Star Wars - it's not like bad writing coupled with small universe syndrom is off brand for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    My sense from Boba is that his Dad was a foundling who more or less treated his Mandalorian cultural roots like background noise. Boba inherited that. I think he's been told more than once "you're not a real mandalorian!" by other mandalorians and shrugged his shoulders while being mildly annoyed. As far as he's concerned his cultural identity is "Jango Fett's son". So he prizes Jango Fett's armor because it was Jango Fetts, not because it is mandalorian.

As far as physical differences between Jango's armor and his armor currently, I think its fair to lay most of that at the feet of the prop designers. we are certainly meant to understand and believe they are the same armor with minor differences due to being rebuilt and added onto over time.
    My sense is Jango was a Mandalorian, was kicked out of Mandalorians, and never instructed his son as a Mandalorian as a result.

As far as physical differences between Jango's armor and his armor currently, I think its fair to lay most of that at the feet of George Lucas, since the ship didn't change at all but the armor is vastly different.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Um, Peelee? I know I'm colorblind, but he absolutely did not keep the ship the same down to the paint job. Boba Fett's Slave I matches his armor color scheme, while Jango's matches the blue and silver he used. The ship has quite clearly been customized to the pilot. Whether that translates to mechanical upgrades is anybody's guess, but that ship has seen 20 years of service just between its movie appearances. It would be incredibly odd if it was still using the same parts and equipment.

Not to say that I ignored the rest of your argument, but I found this so distractingly, obviously wrong, that I need to get it clarified before I can even try and tackle the rest.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2023-03-10 at 10:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Um, Peelee? I know I'm colorblind, but he absolutely did not keep the ship the same down to the paint job. Boba Fett's Slave I matches his armor color scheme, while Jango's matches the blue and silver he used. The ship has quite clearly been customized to the pilot. Whether that translates to mechanical upgrades is anybody's guess, but that ship has seen 20 years of service just between its movie appearances. It would be incredibly odd if it was still using the same parts and equipment.

Not to say that I ignored the rest of your argument, but I found this so distractingly, obviously wrong, that I need to get it clarified before I can even try and tackle the rest.
    Fair point, i checked and my best guess is the Kamino scene was so drab i didn't notice, and I was rolling my eyes too hard in the space scene fighting Kenobi. So yeah, new paint job, i was wrong on that.

As for same parts and equipment, 20 years later, we have R2-D2 and C-3PO being left exactly the same for fifty years. And Slave I doesnt have any canonical modifications, even visible repair jobs, while the armor changed drastically.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fair point, i checked and my best guess is the Kamino scene was so drab i didn't notice, and I was rolling my eyes too hard in the space scene fighting Kenobi. So yeah, new paint job, i was wrong on that.

As for same parts and equipment, 20 years later, we have R2-D2 and C-3PO being left exactly the same for fifty years. And Slave I doesnt have any canonical modifications, even visible repair jobs, while the armor changed drastically.
    I mean, Boba Fett is a gunslinger, so frankly the idea of him getting shot in the armor more than the ship makes complete sense. Consider also the environments he seems to operate in. Jango worked in Coruscant and Kamino, and while he certainly didnt avoid the Outer Rim, he didn't seem to base himself out there either, whereas Boba Fett's most famous association is with Jabba the Hutt on a desert planet with like 3 major settlements, at best. Different armor for different means and needs.

Frankly, it would be weirder if the armor was still identical.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2023-03-10 at 11:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

I mean, Boba Fett is a gunslinger, so frankly the idea of him getting shot in the armor more than the ship makes complete sense. Consider also the environments he seems to operate in. Jango worked in Coruscant and Kamino, and while he certainly didnt avoid the Outer Rim, he didn't seem to base himself out there either, whereas Boba Fett's most famous association is with Jabba the Hutt on a desert planet with like 3 major settlements, at best. Different armor for different means and needs.

Frankly, it would be weirder if the armor was still identical.
    Are you talking about only the movies? Because Jango went all around, just like Boba. And having armor be more damaged or be replaced makes sense for being damaged (eg Jangos helmet was destroyed, Boba has new helmet). But most of the rest was removed withoit being replaced, downgraded, appears to be completely undamaged relative to Jangos, or repainted with heavy Mandalorian themes despite Boba having no affection for Mandalorian culture. All with little to no explanation, while many other things (eg Millennium Falcon and Slave I) have minor cosmetic changes between trilogies.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Are you talking about only the movies? Because Jango went all around, just like Boba. And having armor be more damaged or be replaced makes sense for being damaged (eg Jangos helmet was destroyed, Boba has new helmet). But most of the rest was removed withoit being replaced, downgraded, appears to be completely undamaged relative to Jangos, or repainted with heavy Mandalorian themes despite Boba having no affection for Mandalorian culture. All with little to no explanation, while many other things (eg Millennium Falcon and Slave I) have minor cosmetic changes between trilogies.
    And? Its been 20 years. Most of the stuff I have from 20 years ago needed replacing from sheer age unless I took very good care of it. And Mandalorian armor is a lot more complicated than, well, anything I own except maybe my computer.

Maybe Boba just likes the Mythosaur skull. Maybe he went to some Mandalorians to have his armor fixed after being shot and they put it on for him. Not everything needs a movie's worth of backstory to explain. Looking at you, 3PO's comment about the Falcon's dialect.

12. - Top - End - #102

I just don't feel like its fair to say "this is bad writing". The writing isn't the problem here, the prop continuity is.

They made boba fett in, what, 1979 or whatever, and designed his armor as being "old and battlescarred and patchwork". The whole mandalorian thing grew OUT of that. Suddenly, there was a whole race of soldiers that wear armor like Boba Fetts. All that "heavy mandalorian themes?" yeah, they were Boba's icongraphy FIRST. So if there is "bad writing" its in the "making them suddenly mean something to the mandalorian culture" instead of just being how Boba likes to decorate his gear.

Kind of like how Jedi now all dress like Tatooinian hermits because they decided to ape Obiwan's gear.

Then they made Jango Fett in, what, 1997 or whatever, and said "he is wearing Boba's armor BUT its much earlier, so it should be less battlescarred and patchwork and more complete. Newer." So the prop designers did that.

If it breaks your ability to believe they are the same armor, that's not a writing issue, its a prop design/prop continuity issue. The writing came first.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2023-03-10 at 11:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there reason to believe that the COTW are particularly more extremist than Bo Katan, who comes from Deathwatch, who already were hyperviolent extremist Mando supremacists? The COTW seem far more honourable and trustworthy so far.

Spoiler: Ep 1 and 2
    Show

Best understanding I have of the opening is that Armourer has been aggressively recruiting after being reduced to three members, which would explain where they all came from and why they are such poor fighters.

I did think it was a flashback at first.

The DM keeps accidentally rolling random encounters that are too high level. The robot crab monster I will admit has a creative design, something there hasn't been enough of.

It does raise some questions, though. This thing is familiar with Mandalorians and has set a trap specifically for Mandalorians (baiting them with the helmet) even though Mandalorians don't go there because it's cursed. Has he been lying underground for years waiting for someone to come by and pick up that helmet? Or has he been picking off Mandos on pilgrimage for a while, and that's why they think it's cursed and no one comes back? It understood what the darksaber was.

Pretty bizarre that no one has actually checked if Mandalore is breathable. How long has it been since the purge at this point? Five years? Ten years? More? Even if it wasn't you'd expects scavengers looking for beskar to be all over the place.

Bo Katan moralising is very funny. It's very in character though. 'The Children of the Watch weakened Mandalore with their infighting' Uh, no, that was you, Bo.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Is there reason to believe that the COTW are particularly more extremist than Bo Katan, who comes from Deathwatch, who already were hyperviolent extremist Mando supremacists? The COTW seem far more honourable and trustworthy so far.
    They believe showing your face to your adopted son is a crime worthy of exile and consider the other Mandalorians to be fake.

Show

Best understanding I have of the opening is that Armourer has been aggressively recruiting after being reduced to three members, which would explain where they all came from and why they are such poor fighters.
    I think it's more likely that the Nevarro Tribe wasn't the only CotW group out there and Paz and the Armourer joined with one of those. As for their combat prowess, I'd blame not-the-main-characters syndrome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty bizarre that no one has actually checked if Mandalore is breathable. How long has it been since the purge at this point? Five years? Ten years? More? Even if it wasn't you'd expects scavengers looking for beskar to be all over the place.
    The previous episode had Din show up with a bit of a thing someone brought back from Mandalore so some people have clearly been there since.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bo Katan moralising is very funny. It's very in character though. 'The Children of the Watch weakened Mandalore with their infighting' Uh, no, that was you, Bo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not what she said? She blamed "our own kind fight one another time and time again, killing each other for reasons to confusing to explain". Your mileage may vary on how much she's including her own actions in that statement.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Katan

Your cult gave up on Mandalore long before the purge. Where were you then? The Children of the Watch and all the factions that came before fractured and shattered our people.
    She's calling out his people for doing infighting. 'Your cult', not, 'we', or 'Mandalorians. And the Children appeared to have at least just left rather than fighting, as far as we know.

If she's including herself in that, it's a weird way to say it. She's much more guilty of it than Din or the Children are, but she accuses them specifically.

They believe showing your face to your adopted son is a crime worthy of exile and consider the other Mandalorians to be fake.
    Exile so strong he can visit whenever he wants. Deathwatch are okay with murder, treason, and burning down random villages, but at least they don't do anything extreme like covering their faces.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She's calling out his people for doing infighting. 'Your cult', not, 'we', or 'Mandalorians. And the Children appeared to have at least just left rather than fighting, as far as we know.

If she's including herself in that, it's a weird way to say it. She's much more guilty of it than Din or the Children are, but she accuses them specifically.

Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the conversation towards the end of episode 2.

Exile so strong he can visit whenever he wants.
    Can he? He only showed up to say how he intends to earn the right to come back. He's clearly not welcome to hang out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deathwatch are okay with murder, treason, and burning down random villages, but at least they don't do anything extreme like covering their faces.
    And you think the CotW aren't okay with that? When they swear to walk the path of the Mandalore, what do you think they mean, exactly?
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #107

Sapphire Guard, what "watch" do you think Din et al are "children" of? Casio? They're a splinter sect of deathwatch. Hell, the Mando who saves Din as a child even still has the Deathwatch symbol on their armor.

Typically, if a sect splits off, they tend to be more extreme, not less. But let's give the benefit of the doubt and think about it. If a splinter sect of Deathwatch wanted to be less extreme, there's already a group for that: normal Mandalorians. Instead, they formed their own group, and had more extreme rules that even other Mandalorian cults thought was too cult-like.

18. - Top - End - #108

Griffon

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roughly about 5 years? Bo Katan first received the Darksaber in 2 B.B.Y and Mandalore was fusion bombed shortly afterwards. The second Death Star was destroyed in 4 B.B.Y, and the TV show is supposed to be 2 or 3 years after that, although this is unclear exactly.

Which, admittedly, does put a far darker spin on Din Djarin's history if he doesn't know about the civil war, the night of 1000 tears, or anything else. It was only a few years ago, he would have been an adult at the time - apparently despite wandering the galaxy as an independent badass mercenary and bounty hunter, the CotW have him fully indoctrinated with propaganda.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2023-03-10 at 05:18 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roughly about 5 years? Bo Katan first received the Darksaber in 2 B.B.Y and Mandalore was fusion bombed shortly afterwards. The second Death Star was destroyed in 4 B.B.Y, and the TV show is supposed to be 2 or 3 years after that, although this is unclear exactly.

Which, admittedly, does put a far darker spin on Din Djarin's history if he doesn't know about the civil war, the night of 1000 tears, or anything else. It was only a few years ago, he would have been an adult at the time - apparently despite wandering the galaxy as an independent badass mercenary and bounty hunter, the CotW have him fully indoctrinated with propaganda.
    I'm confused. Isn't BBY "before the battle of Yavin"? Meaning the destruction of the first death star? I was under the impression that this show takes place about 5 years post Return of the Jedi.

The fact that the Empire lasted less than 25 years from start to finish adversely affects a LOT of how the star wars world works. It feels like it lasted a lot longer than that and certainly has an outsized effect on history for as short as it lasted.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm confused. Isn't BBY "before the battle of Yavin"? Meaning the destruction of the first death star? I was under the impression that this show takes place about 5 years post Return of the Jedi.

The fact that the Empire lasted less than 25 years from start to finish adversely affects a LOT of how the star wars world works. It feels like it lasted a lot longer than that and certainly has an outsized effect on history for as short as it lasted.
    In Legends at least the Empire never really went away. They operated as a government in exile once they lost Coruscant and eventually just operated out of their own corner of space, growing in power and becoming more palatable as the New Republic basically fell apart due to infighting. Eventually I think they became part of a reorganized alliance of some kind which formed into a new (much less evil) empire.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

My understanding was that Mandalorian started 5 years post Endor, but I don't know how much time has passed since then.

Spoiler
    Show

Can he? He only showed up to say how he intends to earn the right to come back. He's clearly not welcome to hang out.
    Twice, he did the same thing on the Halo world. A lot of this probably comes from the need to remind viewers who didn't watch Boba Fett (I didn't, saw clips) what's going on, but he did return more than once, knew where they were, and wasn't treated with particular hostility. In Season 1, he established that if he took off his helmet in front of people, he would not be allowed to put it back on again, but they're obviously not enforcing that, which is either a character choice or just a continuity error.

Sapphire Guard, what "watch" do you think Din et al are "children" of? Casio? They're a splinter sect of deathwatch. Hell, the Mando who saves Din as a child even still has the Deathwatch symbol on their armor.

Typically, if a sect splits off, they tend to be more extreme, not less. But let's give the benefit of the doubt and think about it. If a splinter sect of Deathwatch wanted to be less extreme, there's already a group for that: normal Mandalorians. Instead, they formed their own group, and had more extreme rules that even other Mandalorian cults thought was too cult-like.
    Fair point, but it depends if the pacifists were in power. Given their focus seems to be staying in hiding, maybe they splintered over not wanting to be pacifists but also not wanting retake Mandalore from them or something. Could be any number of reasons.

We don't have a detailed rundown of the difference and probably never will. All we have to go on is their behaviour, which so far has been focused on staying in hiding, staying anonymous, and supporting each other. When they broke those rules, it was in aid of saving the life of a random child who wasn't even Mandalorian, and they got massacred as a result. It might change going forward, but so far, they're a lot more honourable and reliable than most of the other Mandalorian sects we've seen, including Bo's.
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2023-03-10 at 05:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Twice, he did the same thing on the Halo world.
    He wasn't exiled then. That's the moment he was told leave.
    In Season 1, he established that if he took off his helmet in front of people, he would not be allowed to put it back on again, but they're obviously not enforcing that, which is either a character choice or just a continuity error.
    Or, maybe, just maybe, when the guy from the tribe where you have to wear a helmet 24/7 said he wouldn't be allowed to put it back on, he was saying that he wouldn't be allowed back into his tribe. Like, what, did you think he'd mean he could carry on as usual but barefaced?

We don't have a detailed rundown of the difference and probably never will. All we have to go on is their behaviour, which so far has been focused on staying in hiding, staying anonymous, and supporting each other. When they broke those rules, it was in aid of saving the life of a random child who wasn't even Mandalorian, and they got massacred as a result. It might change going forward, but so far, they're a lot more honourable and reliable than most of the other Mandalorian sects we've seen, including Bo's.
    They didn't break those rule to save Grogu, they broke them to save Din. Look, you know what the ideology of the Death watch is, right? It's to return to the "glorious" past of Mandalore and restore its traditions. By which they mean embracing war and violence as a lifestyle. The CotW are the people who adhere to Mandalorian traditions even more stringently than the regular DW. The notion that they'd discard violence as a worthwhile endeavor seems unlikely. The Mandalorian culture is a warrior one, the traditionnalists are going to be the warhawks. It's just that, their planet got glassed, so they have to lay low for the time being as a matter of survival.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the first two episodes. First was pretty eh, but it's also setup so whatever.

Second episode was better. Had some decent moments.

I find the pacing of this show kind of odd. It's somehow both slow and rushed at the same time, like the characters are always rushing off to do something and we never spend much time anywhere, but also a lot of it is sort of irrelevant?

I think some of it is just how much time the show spends on really low importance fights. Every 10 minutes, tops, we gotta have another shootout with some rubbery nobodies who serve little purpose. They aren't really much of a problem for the characters to overcome, we already know everybody's a badass, and nobody really learns anything or grows. It's just Fight o'clock again.

Spoiler
    Show

The droid plot is a top example of this. Needing to test the atmosphere is fine, but if you have a sealable helmet, just, like, buy an air testing kit. It's a non-problem.

(Really from a narrative point of view needing to test the atmosphere is borderline. If it was poisonous it would be an interesting problem. Since it isn't, spending like 25 minutes learning that is gratuitous, and could have been handled in like 25 seconds with Mando looking at a number and going "It's fine." Which is exactly what happened anyway.)

OK. The real reason is that the writers needed the droid to fly Grogu back to Bo Katan. In which case they could have just had him buy an astromech in the first place. There's just a whole lot of nothing in that plot.

And the opening giant crocodile fight was top irrelevance. There was actually an interesting scene with some world building happening there. Whoops, can't have that, gotta toss in some bug dumb monster!

That said, it was still fun. Looked good, had good art design. But it really needs more feel and less rando monster bits.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2023-03-10 at 10:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Griffon

Sorry, yes - she got the Darksaber in 2BBY, the Deathstar was destroyed on 0BBY, and the second Deathstar was the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY. The Purge took place some time in the two years before the first Deathstar was destroyed (presumably, otherwise the Empire might well have used the Deathstar to do it and not even leave ruins?) and the series takes place between 2 and 5 years after the second one was Destroyed, depending on who you ask.

I've seen it said somewhere that Grogu is supposed to have stayed with Luke for up to 2 years in total - I don't know how reliable that is, but if we take it at face value then the Night of a Thousand Tears was at most 10-12 years ago.

Time in Star Wars is pretty stupid. The Empire lasted ~25 years, but the Jedi Order lasted "1,000 generations", with the main temple on Coruscant being founded about 5,000BBY with at least 1,000 years of tradition before that. That the Jedi have existed for at least as long as our own recorded history but no-one else can get their lives together for more than a couple of decades is hilarious

In Season 1, he established that if he took off his helmet in front of people, he would not be allowed to put it back on again
    I thought it pretty clear that this was just a turn of phrase/metaphor, rather than a literal instruction. It's a Mandalorian's helmet worn by a Mandalorian, but if someone sees your face then you're not a Mandalorian so it's no longer a Mandalorian's helmet that you're wearing, kind of thing.

Otherwise both Cobb Vance and Boba Fett would be killed on sight? So would Din, for daring to turn up back at the new camp again? They're not popular with the CotW and are considered 'lesser', but no one has shown that particular kind of viscousness yet, at any rate.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2023-03-11 at 08:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Sorry, lTime in Star Wars is pretty stupid. The Empire lasted ~25 years, but the Jedi Order lasted "1,000 generations", with the main temple on Coruscant being founded about 5,000BBY with at least 1,000 years of tradition before that. That the Jedi have existed for at least as long as our own recorded history but no-one else can get their lives together for more than a couple of decades is hilarious
    In Legends, the Republic played for about 20,000 years or so.

26. - Top - End - #116

Griffon

In Legends, the Republic played for about 20,000 years or so.
    The Jedi turned up roughly the same time, so the implication is that "one generation" is being a human/human equivalent literally living to 20 and having their own kids. It adds up, but still sounds very silly.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2023-03-11 at 09:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

He wasn't exiled then. That's the moment he was told leave.
    Why wasn't he exiled the first time, then, or if he was why were there no consequences for breaking exile this time?

Or, maybe, just maybe, when the guy from the tribe where you have to wear a helmet 24/7 said he wouldn't be allowed to put it back on, he was saying that he wouldn't be allowed back into his tribe. Like, what, did you think he'd mean he could carry on as usual but barefaced?
    I thought he'd have to give up the armour and have to earn it back somehow. (Admittedly unlikely, because merch). Otherwise the prohibition has no teeth. He's not prohibited from visiting, he doesn't have to give up any gear, he doesn't have any friends or family he's losing a relationship with because they're already massacred apart from the guy he doesn't like anyway.

They didn't break those rule to save Grogu, they broke them to save Din. Look, you know what the ideology of the Death watch is, right? It's to return to the "glorious" past of Mandalore and restore its traditions. By which they mean embracing war and violence as a lifestyle. The CotW are the people who adhere to Mandalorian traditions even more stringently than the regular DW. The notion that they'd discard violence as a worthwhile endeavor seems unlikely. The Mandalorian culture is a warrior one, the traditionnalists are going to be the warhawks. It's just that, their planet got glassed, so they have to lay low for the time being as a matter of survival.
    They'd already left before the purge, though, the planet getting glassed isn't what triggered it. Obviously they are not discarding violence, but they're in hiding, not fighting to take back Mandalore and don't seem to want to. We don't know what the distinction is, but in terms of extremist actions that we've seen, Bo Katan is waaay ahead of them. She has had more screentime, so maybe that will change, but with what we have now, there's nothing particularly more extreme than any other Mandos. Going to bat for Mando cost them everything, but they did it anyway. For once the Mandos actually did something honourable with their honour code.

The most notable value they have is the 'cover their faces' one, but that in itself doesn't make them extremists in itself.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Why wasn't he exiled the first time, then, or if he was why were there no consequences for breaking exile this time?
    Okay let me run down for you what happened: he found the other two on the ring-world, had a pleasant chat, was challenged for ownership of the Darksaber, won, confessed to having taken off his helmet and asked how he could redeem himself, was told that the only way he could would be the Waters but they're inacessible so he'll never be taken back. Offscreen he found evidence that someone went to Mandalore since the Purge so he came to show it to the Armourer so that she'll acknowledge it could be done and that once he's done it he'll be welcome back.

He didn't stay the night, he didn't have lunch with them or anything he's still exiled. He was only there to clarify something with regards to exile that's it.

I thought he'd have to give up the armour and have to earn it back somehow.
    The CotW is in no hurry to make Bo-Katan give back her armour and Din, while still in good standing was okay with giving his armor back to Boba.
    Also when do you think they should try to take his armor? When it was two against one and he'd already beaten one in a fight or after he'd just saved their asses against the space-croc?
    And there's also the matter of the Darksaber. By one of their tradition he is no longer a member but by another he's their rightful leader they ought to follow in battle. Pretty sure the Armourer wants him to reedeem himself if just to resolve the cognitive dissonance.
    Otherwise the prohibition has no teeth. He's not prohibited from visiting, he doesn't have to give up any gear, he doesn't have any friends or family he's losing a relationship with because they're already massacred apart from the guy he doesn't like anyway.
    You forget the Armourer. And also what do you mean the prohibition has no teeth? These are his people! Being one of them is part of his identity. He's sentenced to spend his life among foreign devils who don't understand him, don't sing the songs of Mandalore and have strange mores like owning several set of clothes and kissing on the lips. And he's got a son to raise, now! How can he raise Grogu to be a proper Mandalorian among heathens? Would the rest of the CotW even accept Grogu among them or has shamed all of Clan Mudhorn?

They'd already left before the purge, though, the planet getting glassed isn't what triggered it. Obviously they are not discarding violence, but they're in hiding, not fighting to take back Mandalore and don't seem to want to. We don't know what the distinction is, but in terms of extremist actions that we've seen, Bo Katan is waaay ahead of them. She has had more screentime, so maybe that will change, but with what we have now, there's nothing particularly more extreme than any other Mandos. Going to bat for Mando cost them everything, but they did it anyway. For once the Mandos actually did something honourable with their honour code.
    You seem to think that extreme means "bad" or "violent" it doesn't. It means they hold to their beliefs in a more intense and stringent fashion than other related groups.

The most notable value they have is the 'cover their faces' one, but that in itself doesn't make them extremists in itself.
    But shunning one of their members over a tearful goodbye to his adopted son certainly does. And of course there's the reason behind the taking-off your helmet tabou. It's there to say that "Mandalorian" is your identity now, to make you unable to mingle with foreigners, the entire point is to isolate members from the out-groups.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Time in Star Wars is pretty stupid. The Empire lasted ~25 years, but the Jedi Order lasted "1,000 generations", with the main temple on Coruscant being founded about 5,000BBY with at least 1,000 years of tradition before that. That the Jedi have existed for at least as long as our own recorded history but no-one else can get their lives together for more than a couple of decades is hilarious
    There are plenty of groups in Star Wars with long continuity. The Hutts predate the Republic by a millennium or so (a Hutt generation is closer to 250 years, which helps). Semi-independent polities like the Chiss Ascendancy have lasted thousands of years. Many of the various species-based Force Traditions, like the Baran Do Sages, have been around for as long as their people can recall.

This trick to time in Star Wars is splitting the scale. Star Wars is very stable at the planetary scale - even human-ruled planets like Alderaan or Chandrila have absurdly long histories. It's even fairly stable at the sector scale, with micro-polities of a few dozen or so planets able to be quite stable for a very long time. It's only at the galactic scale that things are messy. This makes sense, statistically, given how huge and diverse the galaxy is, and it also reflects the late 19th and early 20th century circumstances that Star Wars draws upon (which forum rules mean cannot be discussed properly).

As for the Jedi Order, it's the monastic branch of a religion that is demonstrably true. Monastic traditions are some of the longest-lasting institutions humans have, and being demonstrably true is certainly a huge bonus. That said, the Jedi, like the Republic had a lot of ups and downs across the timeline (in both continuities, with many of the big cataclysms from Legends, such as the Hundred Year Darkness, gradually being reintroduced to the Disney canon).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The Jedi may or may not have been around for ~20,000 years. Canonically, the Republic was "only" 1,000 years old when Palpatine took office. He says so outright in RotS (I think it was that one).

I take the "thousand generations" line about as seriously as I take "12 parsecs." Lucas wasn't trying to give you information, he was trying to convey flavor. In the same vein, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" wasn't meant to be taken literally. He didn't mean there was an actual, specific galaxy that we could, in theory, fly to (assuming FTL) where we could see the descendants or remnants of the events of the film. It was just a modern version of "once upon a time..."