New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 3

Maybe they rappel down? Standard stormtrooper equipment includes a grapple IIRC,.

Razor Crest isn't great but at least they tried to make an original design, of which Mando has very few.

But ordinary, generic vehicles are in a different class altogether—they’re part of the background and don’t need much design beyond informing the audience, at a glance, what their function is in the story. The star destroyer in the opening moments of New Hope is designed to awe the audience with the overwhelming mass of military power the Empire possesses. You don’t need to do that with a bus; you just let the audience know it’s a bus.
    You don't need to do it, but the story is much better if you do. Even in Attack of the Clones car chase, while they are obviously inspired by cars, there's a good deal of variety of design between Anakin's speeder and Zam We. It isn't necessary for R2D2 to be a dustbin rather than a human shaped robot, it's not necessary for yoda to be a tiny frog person rather than a human Jedi, but they used to put in more effort into the worldbuilding. It's the difference between generic stories and good ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Therapist robot= human shaped
    Taxi robot, human shaped.
    ticket inspector robot=human shaped.

The train doesn't have to look exactly like a train, complete with turnstiles and ticket inspectors that look very similar to earth versions. They just didn't make the effort.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yoda and R2-D2 have way more screen time than therapist droid and ticket droid or random background Jedi. There's much more incentive to give them unique designs.

The fact is that half of the droids in Star Wars are humanoid in shape. Specifically, they're the ones that usually deal with humanoid creatures. Specialized spacecraft droids (like R2-D2) and specialized work droids and specialized war droids are the ones that have specialized forms. The rest look like humanoids because they might as well be humanoids.

Yoda could have been a tall, human Jedi Master, but they wanted someone who subverted expectations, so he was a tiny froggy swamp-dweller instead. Most other Jedi (in the Prequels Trilogy) are tall, humanlike Jedi in fancy make-up. In fact, most unimportant Star Wars characters are played by ordinary humans in make-up, while special body shapes are reserved for important or unusual characters like Jabba the Hutt or the guy that ran the alien 50s diner who told Obi-Wan about the Kaminoans.

Background characters and foreground characters shouldn't be measured by the same metrics, just as background vehicles or technology aren't judged next to X-Wings and TIE Fighters. The airspeeders in Attack of the Clones are no different than the landspeeder in the original Star Wars film, they're just space cars. We shouldn't be upset that ordinary space buses and space trains also exist.

Main character vehicles like the Razor Crest or the Millennium Falcon will always be more visually interesting than basic transportation units that just exist to take characters from Point A to Point B. Shoot, I remember cargo transports in the original X-Wing computer game that were basically just flying boxes with a bit of spaceship in between.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I expect some will complain about Chapter 20, but I just like being along for the ride. Loved it like I have the previous three.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first shot of the concept art was really cool, Grogu losing over the crabs like a towering monstrosity just as the megafauna are towering monstrosities over the Mandalorians.

ETA: I MISSED THAT HE WAS THE GUY!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very happy that they got Ahmed Best to return to Star Wars, and be an absolute badass to boot. Episode I may have been crap but he didn't deserve the "fan" reaction. I'm really happy to see him again, even if only for a little bit.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-22 at 05:48 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

New episode. Great scenery and mindless fun, but utterly ridiculous and absurd.

Spoiler
    Show
    After the giant crocodile attack, the Mandos have absolutely no excuse for not putting up perimeter sensors and rotating patrols for random giant predators. And yet, we’re having to drop everything to rescue a foundling abducted by a random giant predator.

That’s bad enough. What’s worse is that this has happened before. This thing is a known threat and has taken other foundlings—and yet they haven’t tracked it to its nest and taken it out before now? The covert must have a ship of their own, yet they act as if all they have are the jetpacks (refueled from a source we never see) and have no clue what to do about a recurring threat on their doorstep.

It feels like the DM rolled a 99 on the random encounter table and tried to shoehorn it into the setting without thinking everything through. In their attempt to give Bo-Katan something heroic to do, they went with a lazy, ridiculous option that falls apart if you think about it for more than two seconds.

That said, Bo-Katan’s education in the ways of the covert is the most interesting part of the episode. She’s stuck with these weirdos and trying to work out how their society even functions. So far she’s off to a good start, but it’ll be interesting to see if she accidentally transgresses some unspoken rule, which seems all too easy with this crowd.

As for the extended flashback, I’d been hoping for more scenes on Coruscant, though I would’ve preferred a continuation of the present-day storyline with Kane. But I was glad to see speeder bikes with sidecars, which is something I’ve wanted for a while. And Ahmed Best rocks as a Jedi knight, which was a nice touch. But I had to wonder about the LAATs firing at random in a civilian area—they probably killed dozens of people with every hit on a residential tower. Of course the Empire will cover it up, claim it was fog of war or whatever, but it would be nice if the show acknowledged this in some way.

From the concept art during the credits, it seems there was another part of the escape sequence in which Master Ahmed skims past a Venator on his way off Coruscant. They probably cut that because it didn’t add much to the story compared to the VFX cost—but even so, that would’ve been great to see.

So, apart from Bo-Katan and some Mando lore from the Armorer, not much to recommend this one. I can only hope this was filler while they worked on pulling out all the stops for the next episode.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    After the giant crocodile attack, the Mandos have absolutely no excuse for not putting up perimeter sensors and rotating patrols for random giant predators.
    Nope. That's what you, a regular person, would do. They are Mandalorians. "When you walk the way of the Mandalore you are both predator and prey." They could just as easily move off-planet. They don't. They want to be there. They want to be constantly tested.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-22 at 08:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That said, Bo-Katan’s education in the ways of the covert is the most interesting part of the episode. She’s stuck with these weirdos and trying to work out how their society even functions. So far she’s off to a good start, but it’ll be interesting to see if she accidentally transgresses some unspoken rule, which seems all too easy with this crowd.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The CotW seem to resolve personal disputes through combat, which makes sense, so my guess is she'll annoy Paz and then either kick his butt or have the fight stopped before anything is concluded.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2023-03-22 at 04:34 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nope. That's what you, a regular person, would do. They are Mandalorians. "When you walk the way of the Mandalore you are both predator and prey." They could just as easily move off-planet. They don't. They want to be there. They want to be constantly tested.
    That justifies not leaving. Not having any defenses set up is a different question...

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The CotW seem to resolve personal disputes through combat, which makes sense, so my guess is she'll annoy Paz and then either kick his butt or have the fight stopped before anything is concluded.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd be real surprised if that happens given the role she played in saving his son.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    That justifies not leaving. Not having any defenses set up is a different question...
    They're Mandalorians. For large beasts, they are the defenses.

9. - Top - End - #219

ClericGuy

Not an answer that works with
    Spoiler
    Show
    multiple foundlings being kidnapped and presumably eaten due to their inability to successfully defend those children.

In other thoughts, Grogu moves very realistically in small ways, but big movements seem very unnatural.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a little surprised they didn't stick with a much smaller movement, maybe pushing aside his opponent's hand so he could take the shot? Also, and this is just me being curious, in the first two rounds, it was called after one shot, which makes sense as it's a training exercise, then Grogu gets off all three in one round? I guess the other kid was just too slow pulling the trigger or something?

10. - Top - End - #220

Not an answer that works with
    Spoiler
    Show
    multiple foundlings being kidnapped and presumably eaten due to their inability to successfully defend those children.
    Don't see why not. Warrior culture, they practically fetishize combat. "Weapons are oaetyof my religion". The young learn to fight and survive. The old try to protect the young by combat, not by Brinks Home Security.

Like i said earlier, this is not how you, a normal person, would do it. This is how they, Mandalorians, would. Think its bad? Then if you're in the Star Wars universe, dont join the Mandalorians. Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-22 at 11:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

ClericGuy

Don't see why not. Warrior culture, they practically fetishize combat. "Weapons are oaetyof my religion". The young learn to fight and survive. The old try to protect the young by combat, not by Brinks Home Security.

Like i said earlier, this is not how you, a normal person, would do it. This is how they, Mandalorians, would. Think its bad? Then if you're in the Star Wars universe, dont join the Mandalorians. Easy peasy.
    I disagree that that is how the Children of the Watch, who hide from the universe in something literally named a 'Covert' attempt to protect themselves and the children in their care.

In random other thoughts, I don't think we got percentages, but
    Spoiler: tithing
    Show
    the Armorer states that everyone gives a small percentage of what they make for the foundlings, while from what we've seen of Din, I seem to remember a lot more, like more than half going to them? But maybe I'm misremembering?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

In at least the Traviss version of the story, the Mandalorians are sort of the foreign legion. Everyone who becomes a mandalorian walks the cin vhetin -- "the virgin field of snow" -- leaving their old lives behind them and start over with a clean slate. Maybe that's one reason they wear concealing armour?

A second chance is the dream of older people who hardly ever get it. It also means that people who owe debts, people on the run from the law or from the Hutts, people who owe child support, all would have reason to walk the field of snow. Mal and the Firefly crew, losers of a war paired with fugitives from their government, would have fit in well on Mandalore.

It's not a walk for the rich or the wealthy or those who are content with their lot in life. It's a walk for those who don't belong or lost a power struggle. It wouldn't surprise me if Mandalore saw an influx of imperial war criminals after Endor, all anxious to put some distance between themselves and their past, and they've already got a leg up on ruthlessness and face-concealing armour.

Of course, you can also be born into it.

I appreciate the concept of the virgin field of snow but it may also go a long way to explaining why Mandalore tends to lean Dark Side -- when you're essentially a witness protection program for the entire galaxy, well, that means you're going to have a fair share of bad people wearing the armour.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2023-03-23 at 08:40 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

13. - Top - End - #223

I disagree that that is how the Children of the Watch, who hide from the universe in something literally named a 'Covert' attempt to protect themselves and the children in their care.

Show
    the Armorer states that everyone gives a small percentage of what they make for the foundlings, while from what we've seen of Din, I seem to remember a lot more, like more than half going to them? But maybe I'm misremembering?
    A.) They are space Spartans. Their homeworld waa destroyed. They hide their home/base of operations from others who could do that again. They don't hide from non-sentient predators. As shown.

2.) The armorer said that Din's donation was "exceedingly generous", IIRC.

14. - Top - End - #224

ClericGuy

A.) They are space Spartans. Their homeworld waa destroyed. They hide their home/base of operations from others who could do that again. They don't hide from non-sentient predators. As shown.

2.) The armorer said that Din's donation was "exceedingly generous", IIRC.
    1) They explicitly do hide from non-sentient predators
    Spoiler: as shown
    Show
    when they are attempting to hunt the big old birdie.
    And we've certainly seen Mando hide, disguise himself and attempt to evade enemies to attempt to protect Grogu.

2) I'm wondering if they're using that to foreshadow Din being pretty extreme even by his sect's standards.

15. - Top - End - #225

1) They explicitly do hide from non-sentient predators
    Spoiler: as shown
    Show
    when they are attempting to hunt the big old birdie.
    And we've certainly seen Mando hide, disguise himself and attempt to evade enemies to attempt to protect Grogu.

2) I'm wondering if they're using that to foreshadow Din being pretty extreme even by his sect's standards.
    1.) hiding defensively and actively hunting are two very different things. The real question here is when offered a reason why they act as they do, you can accept it and the story works or reject it and then complain that the story doesnt make sense - why are you choosing the latter?

2.) doubtful. He donated a lot because he had a lot, far more than he needed for himself.

16. - Top - End - #226

ClericGuy

1.) hiding defensively and actively hunting are two very different things. The real question here is when offered a reason why they act as they do, you can accept it and the story works or reject it and then complain that the story doesnt make sense - why are you choosing the latter?

2.) doubtful. He donated a lot because he had a lot, far more than he needed for himself.
    1) Sure, which skips the other examples of them hiding/evading from enemies (ETA: to give an example from the last few episodes, I believe they expressly go to the Covert to hide from the Imperials who just destroyed Bo Katan's home). As for why I reject your argument, because I do not find it (which note, is not provided in the show) convincing? Among other problems with it, as you point out, they are in hiding from enemies far more deadly than a big bird, their lack of guards/defenses is pretty bad for a group that just recovered from having everyone slaughtered by being hunted down in their hidden home. They're a warrior culture, not a suicide cult.

More broadly, I reject the implicit argument that it's inherently better to come up with headcanon to explain apparent plot holes than it is to be annoyed by them. It can be better, when the headcanon is reasonable and makes the story better for the audience, but your explanation does not do that for me, hence my continued nitpicking of it.

2) True, and as we see, he's significantly better armored than his compatriots as a result of his success.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2023-03-23 at 09:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

1) Sure, which skips the other examples of them hiding/evading from enemies (ETA: to give an example from the last few episodes, I believe they expressly go to the Covert to hide from the Imperials who just destroyed Bo Katan's home). As for why I reject your argument, because I do not find it (which note, is not provided in the show) convincing? Among other problems with it, as you point out, they are in hiding from enemies far more deadly than a big bird, their lack of guards/defenses is pretty bad for a group that just recovered from having everyone slaughtered by being hunted down in their hidden home. They're a warrior culture, not a suicide cult.

More broadly, I reject the implicit argument that it's inherently better to come up with headcanon to explain apparent plot holes than it is to be annoyed by them. It can be better, when the headcanon is reasonable and makes the story better for the audience, but your explanation does not do that for me, hence my continued nitpicking of it.

2) True, and as we see, he's significantly better armored than his compatriots as a result of his success.
    Ok, lot of things here.

First, its not a plot hole. Even if everything you say is true, then at worst its a character mistake. Plot holes are holes in the plot, not literally any error or character acting stupid.

Second, please, find me any example of them setting up sensors and alarms to warn them of native predators.

Third, if you don't like my answer, cool, its probably not the only one. {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2023-03-23 at 07:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

ClericGuy

Ok, lot of things here.

First, its not a plot hole. Even if everything you say is true, then at worst its a character mistake. Plot holes are holes in the plot, not literally any error or character acting stupid.

Second, please, find me any example of them setting up sensors and alarms to warn them of native predators.

Third, if you don't like my answer, cool, its probably not the only one. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    First--I disagree. Characters acting in a manner contrary to their established traits and skillsets for no purpose other than to create a problem for our protagonists to solve is, in my view, a plot hole. In this case, there's been massive emphasis on the Mandalorians ability as warriors/hunters and on their protectiveness regarding children and foundlings. The notion that a native predator is picking off those children at will and the response is to chase it down, then give up the moment they run out of fuel as if they lack object permanence is, in my view, a plot hole. (Note: this is in alignment with at least the Wikipedia definition, which includes out-of-character behavior).

Second--I mean, they rely on sensors every time they get on a ship, but I agree, we haven't seen them set up sensors and alarms to warn them of native predators, because we've only seen them interacting with native predators in the last few episodes (putting aside Din almost getting killed trying to hunt one back in season 1). But note, they don't have to put up alarms and sensors, some guards would do it, unlike the giant alligator, the giant bird is dropping on them out of the sky, keeping an eye on that ought to be the first thing they do given that they expect to be hunted by people with spaceships!

Third--I believe that I can, in fact be bothered to use reasoning, but I have not come up with reasoning which merges my understanding of the Mandalorians' character and skills with the actions we saw. The problem isn't staying on a planet with dangerous predators, I agree that is perfectly in character--personally, I would have reversed the order here, have the young Mandalorian going out to hunt the bird as part of training or a ritual, or something. Then them being taken is much less of a problem. The problem is acting like NPC's waiting for the RPG's main character to come along and deal with the predator eating the village's children.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2023-03-23 at 07:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

First--I disagree. Characters acting in a manner contrary to their established traits and skillsets for no purpose other than to create a problem for our protagonists to solve is, in my view, a plot hole. In this case, there's been massive emphasis on the Mandalorians ability as warriors/hunters and on their protectiveness regarding children and foundlings. The notion that a native predator is picking off those children at will and the response is to chase it down, then give up the moment they run out of fuel as if they lack object permanence is, in my view, a plot hole. (Note: this is in alignment with at least the Wikipedia definition, which includes out-of-character behavior).

Second--I mean, they rely on sensors every time they get on a ship, but I agree, we haven't seen them set up sensors and alarms to warn them of native predators, because we've only seen them interacting with native predators in the last few episodes (putting aside Din almost getting killed trying to hunt one back in season 1). But note, they don't have to put up alarms and sensors, some guards would do it, unlike the giant alligator, the giant bird is dropping on them out of the sky, keeping an eye on that ought to be the first thing they do given that they expect to be hunted by people with spaceships!

Third--I believe that I can, in fact be bothered to use reasoning, but I have not come up with reasoning which merges my understanding of the Mandalorians' character and skills with the actions we saw. The problem isn't staying on a planet with dangerous predators, I agree that is perfectly in character--personally, I would have reversed the order here, have the young Mandalorian going out to hunt the bird as part of training or a ritual, or something. Then them being taken is much less of a problem. The problem is acting like NPC's waiting for the RPG's main character to come along and deal with the predator eating the village's children.
    On the first, we're just going to disagree on what a plot hole is. No getting around that. Same for the third, if you are not satisfied unless everything is explicitly stated in the narrative then nothing I can say will change that.

For the second, though, your earlier example was hiding from Imperials, when i previously explicitly said that yes, they hide from sentient peoples who may destroy them as their home world was destroyed, but they do not hide from nonsentients. Thats the crux. They are space Spartans living in space Australia. They may keep their heads down from the space British who nuked their last colony and may try to finish the job, sure, nobody's arguing that. But the wildlife they handle themselves.

And guards? They're Mandalorians! Its like that Kevin Smith story about working on Superman Lives - "hes Superman, why would he have guards?"

All the Mandalorians are guards. Not to mention
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both times they were attacked by megafauna, it was broad daylight and out in the open literally in the middle of the entire clan. Im not sure what value you see guards bringing to the table here.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-23 at 10:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

They built fortresses not long ago, it doesn't seem like they have anything against static defenses. They may have to forgo some of them as part of being a covert, but things like an alarm system would be entirely reasonable.

This group is mostly fairly fresh, however. They definitely seem significantly less competent than the experienced warriors, but that may be just an intentional portrayal to represent their newness to the Way.

Show
    Din is a very good Mandalorian. Sort of taking the ideology to heart and attempting to become the ideal of it. I have no issue with the idea that he gives more than is usual to support foundlings, particularly in light of his history as one. That's quite consistent with his character. He's not doing the bare minimum to fit in.

I also think the Armorer kind of likes him. She is, obviously, roughly akin to a cult leader, and she takes the rules very seriously, but he is striving to be a good follower of the Way, and I think she is aware of and respects that.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    They built fortresses not long ago
    This also helps protect against people. But i overall agree with the rest of your point there in the second paragraph.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-03-23 at 10:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Just a reminder that we can't expect show-Mandalorians to be more competent than the real-life screenwriters who are creating the script.

A real-life military unit would always post guards and a warning system for both dangerous animals and for intelligent enemies; you can be just as dead from a bamboo viper nipping you on your ankle as from a bullet. But I think it unlikely we have many combat vets on the screenwriting team -- and if they do, just how much screen time do they want to show a practical defense as opposed to telling their story?

I'm willing to give them a pass on this. The important point of the story is that, despite whatever defensive measure they took, they were still surprised. That's not an unreasonable story; no defense is perfect, and even very skilled people can have an off day. So I'm willing to just accept that as the story they're trying to tell and forgive minor inconsistencies as "It's Hollywood, whaddaya expect?"

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

23. - Top - End - #233

ClericGuy

On the first, we're just going to disagree on what a plot hole is. No getting around that. Same for the third, if you are not satisfied unless everything is explicitly stated in the narrative then nothing I can say will change that.
    Agree to disagree is fine, but I will say, in my view, you are putting words in my mouth and being fairly rude about it. My position is not that 'everything must be explicitly stated in the narrative', my position is that if you are going to have characters act in a manner which is out-of-character (which note, we disagree on whether this counts, which is fine) then there should be some in-universe justification of that which is reasonably discernable to the audience. Din taking off his helmet last season was massively out-of-character, but I certainly didn't need him to stop and say 'I'm taking this off so you can know my face and remember me as we say goodbye to you, my son.' The reasoning is clear. The reason to set yourself up
    Spoiler
    Show
    to repeatedly lose children to an animal and never take any action beyond chasing it when it actually has the child in its talons is...they don't hide from predators? Okay, so why didn't they hunt it down before this? They couldn't find it without Bo Katan's ship? They have to have access to ships, they're all getting to the planet somehow! They can't set a trap for it? They can't do anything but let it keep eating kids and hope they'll eventually be fast enough to kill it?

For the second, though, your earlier example was hiding from Imperials, when i previously explicitly said that yes, they hide from sentient peoples who may destroy them as their home world was destroyed, but they do not hide from nonsentients. Thats the crux. They are space Spartans living in space Australia. They may keep their heads down from the space British who nuked their last colony and may try to finish the job, sure, nobody's arguing that. But the wildlife they handle themselves.
    They do--except they explicitly don't. Both times it's handled for them by our protagonists.

And guards? They're Mandalorians! Its like that Kevin Smith story about working on Superman Lives - "hes Superman, why would he have guards?"
    The guards aren't for them, they're for the foundlings who are explicitly in their care and present.

All the Mandalorians are guards. Not to mention
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both times they were attacked by megafauna, it was broad daylight and out in the open literally in the middle of the entire clan. Im not sure what value you see guards bringing to the table here.
    Then they're ****ty guards if they can't see
    Spoiler
    Show
    a giant bird approaching out of the sky.

24. - Top - End - #234

Agree to disagree is fine, but I will say, in my view, you are putting words in my mouth and being fairly rude about it.
    I apologize. I was characterizing your argument as I understood it, and by the rest of your post, i clearly understoodnit incorrectly.
    The reason to set yourself up
    Spoiler
    Show
    to repeatedly lose children to an animal and never take any action beyond chasing it when it actually has the child in its talons is...they don't hide from predators? Okay, so why didn't they hunt it down before this? They couldn't find it without Bo Katan's ship? They have to have access to ships, they're all getting to the planet somehow! They can't set a trap for it? They can't do anything but let it keep eating kids and hope they'll eventually be fast enough to kill it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do they have access to ships? By "access", i assume you mean "they have ships with them", correct me if I'm wrong. Din rode the space bus after his ship got blown up, so we know that's one way they can travel. They could also have hired out other transport ships, like Luke and Kenobi did in the first movie. It may well be that they have no personal ships at their beck and call to fight or hunt down creatures, even if they are able to planet hop.

Also, how many kids have they lost over how long? Going by how the cult has grown, it's unlikely that this was super speedy. More likely its been years, similar to the real-life span between seasons., if not more. If they lost, say, two kids in three years, well, they could know that they can never get to it with jetpacks. And that's assuming that every raid was successful. Do these creatures attack relatively frequently and we just saw a rare succesful abduction? Or are the attacks themselves rare but usually able to get someone?

They do--except they explicitly don't. Both times it's handled for them by our protagonists.
    Because the story follows our protagonists.

The episode, to me, was made to establish a few things:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have Bo Katan demonstrate her leadership and show more value to the established Mandos, and strengthen the bond/lessen the hostility between Din and Paz.
    It accomplished that, but had weaknesses that you address. I'm fine with having those weaknesses supported by the reasoning i stated above.

25. - Top - End - #235

ClericGuy

I apologize. I was characterizing your argument as I understood it, and by the rest of your post, i clearly understoodnit incorrectly.
    I appreciate the apology. And sorry if I was too pushy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do they have access to ships? By "access", i assume you mean "they have ships with them", correct me if I'm wrong. Din rode the space bus after his ship got blown up, so we know that's one way they can travel. They could also have hired out other transport ships, like Luke and Kenobi did in the first movie. It may well be that they have no personal ships at their beck and call to fight or hunt down creatures, even if they are able to planet hop.

Also, how many kids have they lost over how long? Going by how the cult has grown, it's unlikely that this was super speedy. More likely its been years, similar to the real-life span between seasons., if not more. If they lost, say, two kids in three years, well, they could know that they can never get to it with jetpacks. And that's assuming that every raid was successful. Do these creatures attack relatively frequently and we just saw a rare succesful abduction? Or are the attacks themselves rare but usually able to get someone?
    This is a strong argument, though
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think they have to have access to ships, they can't be taken the bus to their secret base, that's no longer a secret base if you do that. I guess they could be being dropped off somewhere else, then sneaking out to this location? But I'd been operating under the assumption this place wasn't inhabited, given the megafauna that eats people, though that could be wrong. Or, they could have ships and they might all be out gathering more foundlings and doing work to provide support for the organization, but given that this is a group that repeatedly gets squashed, having no line of retreat strikes me as foolhardy, though not necessarily out of character for the extremely confident Mandalorians.

On the bird, I was reading 'it always gets away' (I think that's the right line?) from Paz as indicating repeated chases and frustration, but it could also just be fury over the disappearance of his son? Also, did his son survive for a day in that thing's gullet? I mean, Boba lasted a long time in his Beskar, so not impossible, but that would be a pretty scarring experience for a kid...

I do think a big part of this is a lack of clarity on timing? Has it been six months since Din visited them on the space station--two years? I thought everything was happening very fast, but there seems to have been a timejump? I'm terrible at remembering to read captions, so maybe there was like a 'two years later' caption and I just missed it?

The episode, to me, was made to establish a few things:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have Bo Katan demonstrate her leadership and show more value to the established Mandos, and strengthen the bond/lessen the hostility between Din and Paz.
    It accomplished that, but had weaknesses that you address. I'm fine with having those weaknesses supported by the reasoning i stated above.
    I agree that was the goal and it was mostly accomplished, I simply dislike the method. ETA: Hilariously, I think that what annoyed me
    Spoiler: wild speculation
    Show
    may in fact be an attempt to avoid a plot hole? If this had just been the first attack by a giant bird, then like 95% of my complaints go away, but then how would they know not to just shoot the bird?
    Last edited by ecarden; 2023-03-23 at 11:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

I agree that was the goal and it was mostly accomplished, I simply dislike the method. ETA: Hilariously, I think that what annoyed me
    Spoiler: wild speculation
    Show
    may in fact be an attempt to avoid a plot hole? If this had just been the first attack by a giant bird, then like 95% of my complaints go away, but then how would they know not to just shoot the bird?
    I'll agree wholeheartedly on that.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I really like that they seem decided to bridge the gap between Order 66 and Grogu being found at the compound. Is it me or did it seem like the Jedi and pilots already planned to take Grogu away/expecting something to happen?

Also I didn't know that was Ahmed Best, that's great!

The Mandos not putting up sentries after the flyer took several children feels dumb though. Also, they practice shooting without targets?

I'm not really sure where Bo-Katan is going, but she's going.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually like that the Covert doesnt have sentries or anything because, at the end of the day, theyre a cult, not a military company. Theyre a gathering of individuals who happen to be good at shooting things. And the armorer is, well, an armorer and priest, not a soldier. They just dont think like that.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2023-03-23 at 04:54 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I had to wonder about the LAATs firing at random in a civilian area—they probably killed dozens of people with every hit on a residential tower. Of course the Empire will cover it up, claim it was fog of war or whatever, but it would be nice if the show acknowledged this in some way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are surprised that the Empire doesn't care about collateral damage?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually like that the Covert doesnt have sentries or anything because, at the end of the day, theyre a cult, not a military company. Theyre a gathering of individuals who happen to be good at shooting things. And the armorer is, well, an armorer and priest, not a soldier. They just dont think like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't think you have to be a soldier to think: "Hey, a giant bird eats our kids, maybe we should post lookouts to make sure it doesn't happen again?'

You don't need to be a soldier to make this leap of logical thinking. You don't even need to be a boy/girl scout. You just need a room-temperature IQ. Anyone can get caught by surprise. Once. Maybe twice. But after three or four times it's no longer an oversight but a refusal to learn.

I don't think the show is trying to portray this group as imbeciles. So I suspect it has more to do with not being able to put in a credible defense without making it hard to tell the story. Or it may be they're afraid of losing the shallower end of their audience who won't get all the details and quickly switch away.

So I ask: Is this really a major plot point that ends suspension of disbelief? Or is it reasonable to concede a bird could find a way to take them by surprise (perhaps because the guard was asleep on his feet)? If so, aren't we arguing over price?

Respectfully,

Brian P.