New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: When do you give up on a webcomic?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What if a webcomic gives up on you? I still check Gone With The Blastwave every few months.
    I've found a few like that. The artist makes good progress on a story, then starts up a new one and basically forgets the old one existed. It's depressing, especially when the new one is less entertaining or engaging than the old. At that point I give up on the artist as a whole, not just a given comic.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

As a former completist, I finally found out that completion isn't really that good, and better end a good read right that persist and have bad memories of it.
    I've therefore given up more and more webcomics these last years.
    Girl Genius I gave up quite early when it became obvious it was going the plot over character road, and that all the characters were going to be hammier and hammier. Also I never liked the art.
    I gave up several comics when they indulged into gore territory with complacency.
    I gave up several ones that got inot a point where the main quest had either to be subsumed to a greater one (the boss was only a boss aide), to come to resolution with unfleshed sidequest failing to be the main interest, or the main character struggling to produce new depth while not giving more light to others.
    I was on the verge of giving up on QC, when I found out people complaining about it here, making more reasons not to quit right away by sharing disapointment.
    For some comics, I / the era just changed and their plot revolved about what was now cringe. To the extension edgy comics are now out of my reading list.
    I gave up those who replaced comics with illustrated book pages.
    I gave up those who had more characters than a Ruth Rendell novel where the ratio is 1 per page.
    So genres are overdone in some form, and I have no more interest in them when I saw a good webcomic in the same genre end, with approchaing plot/characters/art.
    Oh, and zombies. If a work has zombies, I will quit reading it. Except for OotS obviously.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Johanny View Post
    Oh, and zombies. If a work has zombies, I will quit reading it. Except for OotS obviously.

I'm curious about this one! What is it about zombies that's an insta-turn off for reading?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I'm curious about this one! What is it about zombies that's an insta-turn off for reading?
    It's just so... overdone. They're not interesting, they're not motivated except for munchery, just about every facet around them's been done to death, and they're so ugly by design. With any luck, their popularity is waning now that the Show Based on a Comic Series on Fancy Cable is over, and I won't see and hear ashen snaggletoothy faces utter guttural schlurps every time my computer thinks it's time to advertise at me.

Except now there's a new Show Based on a Video Game Featuring Zombies.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I never really got into setting up RSS as webcomics were more of a time-waster then anything I was seriously into (blogs fall in this same line of "nice but not something i'm gonna follow follow"), so outside of having a "webcomics" bookmark list I occasionally checked for updates, i just found it hard to keep up with some of the longer to produce ones and dropped them after an archive binge.

and once something happened to that bookmark list... well... i'd only return to the comic when those two certain neurons clicked and made me go "oh man, d'you remember this vague thing from years back?" and I go on a google trip trying to remember a webcomic from the mid-2000's or early 2010's or something, only to find that it either went on hiatus years ago, is still in hiatus from way back when, has ended or is just wiped off the face of the planet due to a server crash/domain lapse/too costly to host and little returns/whatever and unless i can key in the magic sequence of words in google or the webarchive to get me what i'm looking for, i'm probably never gonna find it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What if a webcomic gives up on you? I still check Gone With The Blastwave every few months.
    It appears to have updated last week.

Gone With The Blastwave is in a unique place for me though. It's update schedule is somehow part of its charm.