New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

redface OOTS #1273 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1273 - The Discussion Thread

How did Julia know the new ally was a she?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Hee hee.

"What are they called again?"
    "Certainly not something copyrighted, I can tell you that!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Okay, I guess this has pretty much gone into "This is not really Julia" territory pretty quickly. She immediately knew the new ally was a 'she', and that "Um, well" at Roy mentionning her presence at his audition is clearly suspicious.

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Theoretically Roy mentioned trying to find Serini earlier when they were still on the airship, during the off-panel exposition. But if he didn't.... Then yeah, that's interesting.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Okay, I guess this has pretty much gone into "This is not really Julia" territory pretty quickly. She immediately knew the new ally was a 'she', and that "Um, well" at Roy mentionning her presence at his audition is clearly suspicious.
    Oh, wow. That hadn't even occurred to me, but as soon as you said it, it definitely feels like it's Eugene.

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGuy

Oh, wow. That hadn't even occurred to me, but as soon as you said it, it definitely feels like it's Eugene.
    Not Eugene. Sabine. Remember, we haven't seen her new vessel the Directors mentioned yet. She could theoretically have possessed Julia and taken control of her body as a cover.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Eugene is quite good with illusion, yes, but I'm going with this being Julia. I have doubts that the sword's magic (grandpa's sword) could be fooled as regards Julia versus Eugene.
    The green glow indicates a connection to Roy's sword.
    I don't think Sabine, for example, would be able to evoke that response from the sword.
    As to the strip's final panel: "the jokes write themselves" ... except in this strip.
    All exposition. Also a nice way to show off the improved art style, which is eye pleasing to me.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-01-18 at 09:33 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Not Eugene. Sabine. Remember, we haven't seen her new vessel the Directors mentioned yet. She could theoretically have possessed Julia and taken control of her body as a cover.
    I don't know, I just went back and reread all the Julia dialogue, and there are quite a few things that suggest to me it could be Eugene. Or it could just be confirmation bias.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

So is there actually some misprint somewhere that created two weights of broadsword? Because I automatically remembered that one time I saw a boxing match when one boxer convinced another boxer to fight in 12 oz gloves and then they had to stop the tournament because regulations were 16 oz gloves, and then I realized that's a very niche joke and probably not the point.
    Yellow eyes revealed a monster in the dark. An evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    Spoiler: The Monster in the Dark
    Show
    Yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. An evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    So is there actually some misprint somewhere that created two weights of broadsword? Because I automatically remembered that one time I saw a boxing match when one boxer convinced another boxer to fight in 12 oz gloves and then they had to stop the tournament because regulations were 16 oz gloves, and then I realized that's a very niche joke and probably not the point.
    Roy says the lighter sword is a longsword.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The "she" is indeed troubling, but I don't see how it could be anyone except Julia, or maybe Eugene. She's spoken way more than 25 words, so it's not a regular Sending, Sabine doesn't have the ability to possess people, the IFCC wouldn't have hesitated this way when he talked about his exam ("I was four, dumbass!" would have been much more in character if someone wanted to impersonate her, and the IFCC is competent enough for that. Also why I don't think it's Eugene. He was never seen with the surprised side eyebrows). Redcloak would have immediately known the beholder's name. I don't see many more contenders, so I put my money on "it's really Julia, with some sort of informant. Maybe Roy himself last time they talked."
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, Rich!

I loved the last line "The jokes practically write themselves" combined with the strip title.

Regarding Julia's assumption of the gender of their new ally: Julia's a young woman. Why would she not assume their new ally is female?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-01-18 at 09:54 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Coming back to some rules-based jokes just like the really old days, I see. Refreshing and fun! Love it. Plus, Roy's thought process is interesting. He clearly doesn't overestimate his chances, a huge difference from his earlier encounters with Xykon.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Coming back to some rules-based jokes just like the really old days, I see. Refreshing and fun! Love it. Plus, Roy's thought process is interesting. He clearly doesn't overestimate his chances, a huge difference from his earlier encounters with Xykon.
    Being casually killed by Xykon probably affected that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm leaning towards it was just a continuity hiccup fixable by changing "she" to "he or she" or "they" - but I find both the "secretly Eugene" and "Julia is possessed" theories intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The green glow indicates a connection to Roy's sword.
    Not necessarily, it also just happens to be the "personal aura color" for both Eugene and Julia's magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfWarriorGuy

Ok, I didn't read the last strip's thread so this has probably been mentioned there, but now with the context of this strip...

Looking at the last cartoon, Julia hears Roy's comment about her being about to call before she's there which is kind of weird. He says it before he sits down, she's not there yet (she probably appears the next panel when Roy sits and the panel zooms in on him), and there's no reason for her to be able to hear him. The sword provides a connection, but it not an cellphone (with Zoom or whatever). You can't just randomly hear family members near it. And she's also a little taken aback by the whole sword-connection-thing in an oddly alarmed sort of way. Plus, there is the connection but it only worked with Eugene after he died and to help him with manifesting. The comments and surprise and whatnot don't feel like Eugene, though, who would probably die (again. And again) rather than admit Roy knows more about any aspect of magic.

My money is that its Sabine who was stalking the party invisibly and is taking the appearance of Julia's projection while actually physically being there.

Edit - So, to sum up: Sabine is stalking the Order invisibly for reasons. She's cautious and keeping her distance because she knows who Serini is and Epic rogues are hard to stealth around. Roy is the first person to wander out by himself so she spies on him. He mentions Julia calling him, and Sabine decides on the spot to imitate Julia calling him. Which makes sense, Roy's a good candidate to spy on. He's probably the most attractive combination of "valuable knowledge and bad Sense Motive/overall perception" member of the party, plus for her specifically if things go badly he's probably the most pleasant member of the party to deal with. She and Haley *hate* each other, Belkar is a psychopath, Elan is useless, and if things go badly both V and Durkon have the potential to mess her up far more than Roy. Imitating someone's sibling is a high-risk endeavor but Sabine actually knows Julia pretty well, having been cooped up with her for a couple days in that warehouse. So Sabine gives it a shot, and I think she's rolling like a "7". She's not doing terribly, but once you start looking at the details you can see mistakes all over the place.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2023-01-18 at 10:16 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not necessarily, it also just happens to be the "personal aura color" for both Eugene and Julia's magic.
    Yep..
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm leaning towards it was just a continuity hiccup fixable by changing "she" to "he or she" or "they"
    Or Julia could just default to assuming women, just like how people URL can default to assuming a gender.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Awww, Siblings for the win.
    Thanks Giant.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Or Julia could just default to assuming women, just like how people URL can default to assuming a gender.
    That makes sense as well. I've read a few novels with women protagonists who tend to use "she" for characters of unknown gender.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That makes sense as well. I've read a few novels with women protagonists who tend to use "she" for characters of unknown gender.
    Yeah, there's definitely an epileptic tree growing somewhere arround here.

I mean, it could be true that this is someone other than Julia, but which third person pronoun choice to use for an unknown person is not really decisive information.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I think the sudden hesitance when talking about why she doesn't remember is a bigger clue then the pronouns, although that IS odd, yes.

23. - Top - End - #23

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Honestly, I think the sudden hesitance when talking about why she doesn't remember is a bigger clue then the pronouns, although that IS odd, yes.
    Yeah. 2nd to last panel is the point where Roy starts getting suspicious, imo. I suspect the next strip will be Roy carefully trying to figure out who it is, and end with a reveal.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Yeah. 2nd to last panel is the point where Roy starts getting suspicious, imo. I suspect the next strip will be Roy carefully trying to figure out who it is, and end with a reveal.
    Something happening would be a nice change.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Wait what?
    Roy mentions "a bugbear ranger and her pet warg".
    So when he says "she's new", Julia immediately thinks he's speaking about Oona.

It could be suspicious if Julia had immediately thought he was speaking about Minrah, but it's entirely normal that she thinks he speaks about Oona.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Wait what?

It could be suspicious if Julia had immediately thought he was speaking about Minrah, but it's entirely normal that she thinks he speaks about Oona.
    No, they're talking about Panel 1.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

27. - Top - End - #27

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Wait what?

They mean the first panel, when Roy says "We found a new ally" and Julia replies "And you think she'll help you defeat Xykon?", i.e. Serini.

I had to look it up, too. Was just as confused as you.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Hee hee.

"What are they called again?"
    "Certainly not something copyrighted, I can tell you that!"
    Hey, Sunny doesn't have the right number of eyes for a B-word, totally different thing!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'm really getting the feeling something's off with Julia too. In addition to what's been said, she also correctly guesses the gender of the "bugbear ranger" and her expression towards the end is one of fear, not confusion.
    Edit: right "her warg" but the other point stands.

I've re-read their first conversation of this book and I am confident that one is really Julia (she knows the Greenhilts' family drama too well, including Eugene's opinion on gods and him and Roy being estranged, and she confidently corrects Roy about her age instead of rolling with it) but this time? Something feels amiss. I have no theory to explain it though.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-01-18 at 10:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

In the last panel, Roy mentions that his sister hadn't been making fun of him all these years for that, so she must have not remembered it for a very long time, otherwise she would have been using it against him long before now. But cool theory about this not being Julia.