New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Was this from a module/adventure, or an original plot device by the DM?

Story time:
    My very first game of dnd, happened when I was 15, back in the summer of 1993, in a summer camp in France.
    It occurred with a bunch of other noobs from various parts of the globe, so at the table you could hard swearing in about 6 different languages.

This is back when elf was a class and came with a bow, so yeah, I named him Legolas.

Putting aside the plot, which saw us waste half the session on strategizing how to enter the home of the guy who, as it turned out later, just wanted to meet us to give us our mission, there was an interesting device hat still stands out in my memory:

Object of our quest was to find a sword that was absolutely dangerous, in that it did a lot of damage, but also sucked a lot of hit points from the wielder, way more than any first level character such as we were could possibly have. The only way to wield the sword safely was to wear a matching amulet that would dampen it's powers, making it still a good sword, but nowhere near as powerful as it would be, but simultaneously stopping it from dealing damage to the wielder.

I have always remembered this device fondly and have occasionally looked into modules and books to see if i could find it somewhere. I can't remember having encountered it anywhere since.. Not in 3.5 and definitely not in 5e.

Does anyone have recollection of something similar, or was this an original idea from the DM of the day?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Was this from a module/adventure, or an original plot device by the DM?

Hard to prove the negative; I can only say I’m not familiar with that particular setup.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Was this from a module/adventure, or an original plot device by the DM?

'93 would be way too far back, but the first thing your description reminded me of was Keening (and Sunder) and the Wraithguard from Morrowind.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    '93 would be way too far back, but the first thing your description reminded me of was Keening (and Sunder) and the Wraithguard from Morrowind.
    It does, I guess good ideas pop up in multiple places..
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz