New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Headphones to wear to bed?

I've been having trouble getting to sleep lately and have been considering, among other recommendations, the possibility of trying to listen to soothing noise/music in bed to help. However, I don't live on my own, so I wouldn't want to just have music playing from my room - even soft soothing music - in the middle of the night, and the headphones I normally use are very large and bulky. They do an excellent job of blocking out sounds, but they are totally unsuitable for trying to sleep in. Is there anything in particular that you all would recommend for something like this? It's not a big deal if not, I just figured I'd ask.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Headphones to wear to bed?

It seems like something small and cordless, like Airpods or something similar, would be ideal in case you're falling asleep with them. That said, I've fallen asleep quite a few times with my fairly bulky Marshall headphones without much issue, so it probably won't matter too much. Having something cordless is probably a good idea at least, so you don't end up strangling yourself.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2023-01-22 at 05:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

airpods if you don't mind something in your ear (also i'd say if you don't sleep on the side of the head)

maybe something like this one ? a wearable neck speaker, it's not as inaudible as headphones for other people but it's pretty close

https://www.amazon.it/Altoparlante-B...46393851&psc=1
    Awesome custom avatar made by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I also can't sleep easily, so I listen to moderlately interestng podcasts to fall asleep (interesting enough that I don't do something else, not so interesting I can't fall asleep).

You can get cheap bluetooth earbuds for 20 bucks, I've had mine for at least two years now and they work perfectly well. Brand is Skullcandy and I have no complaints.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

My wife swears by a mathematics... book? podcast?... that is specifically for helping one fall asleep. If you stay awake you will learn stuff, but the reader's voice is so soft and calm that it puts you to sleep.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    My wife swears by a mathematics... book? podcast?... that is specifically for helping one fall asleep. If you stay awake you will learn stuff, but the reader's voice is so soft and calm that it puts you to sleep.
    Mike Duncan's history podcasts for me. Hundreds of hours, all very interesting, but with a very dry tone. Perfect if you ever want 100 hours on the Russian revolution.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-02-02 at 11:16 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I've purchased these Hearprotek buds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And more recently these even lower-profile Hearprotek buds:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do get a bit twisted as I sleep, because I'm basically in training for rolling over in my grave... But they're super soft and gentle in my ears, especially the newer, lower-profile ones. I'm a side-sleeper, so I usually just put a bud in the ear that's *not* against the pillow, and let the pillow mute the noises for the ear that's pillow-side down. But even if I turn and end up with a bud against the pillow, it's a just gentle pressure, instead of feeling like a rounded lego brick in my ear.

Each purchase includes two earbud sets. They're cheap, and they do wear out eventually (according to my purchase history, I seem to buy a new set every 6-9 months or so). But I don't have to worry about losing them, and they're really super comfortable.

Good luck!