New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Medium Armor Master is a decent feat- for an absolute beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Heat Metal says hi. As do Shocking Grasp, rust monsters, and few other effects.
    Fair. I did forget those. I don’t think having Medium-tier armor without metal is anything to worry about, though-maybe apply a bit of a surcharge on it, but that’s about all I’d do if I was concerned.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

From a purely mechanical perspective, non-metal halfplate or whatever would at best be a common magic item. Magically treated leather or something.

There's no reason to make this such a sticking point if its a dealbreaker for someone.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    Helping a new and young player make a more effective character is very nice. This new player seems eager just to be part of the game, and is not gunning for GOAT.

So get him in the game. You already rolled dice, so 'tis possible his character has already overcome the scores others have assumed possible with point buy or standard array.

Kid's got stars in his eyes. Enjoy it. In five short years he will be a teenager, and with your encouragement probably running games for his friends.
    He rolled slightly worse than Standard Array; 15, 14, 12, 12, 12, 7. Nothing terrible, though, so might as well start teaching him to accept the luck of the dice and embrace his weak points as Roleplaying opportunities.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Those things already exist. They are called Padded, Leather, and Studded Leather.

You can't just "refluff" something that has rules into something else that already has rules.

Not that this counts as refluffing anyway. Removing the metal from the armor has possible impact.
    You're over thinking it. Kid wants a dude dressed in leather. Refluff splint as a medium class leather armor (with a metal component reinforcing it if you're worried about Heat Metal). Call it whatever. Done.

The fact that "studded leather exists" is irrelevant. Studded leather isn't a medium class armor with the stats of splint. This will be. It's literally just splint that looks like leather with a fluffed name so the kid feels like he's wearing leather but mechanically benefiting from splint.

Point being that someone wanting their guy to look like he's wearing leather not only isn't an insurmountable obstacle to wearing medium, it shouldn't be an obstacle at all. Use your imagination.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    As for refluffing... So long as everyone knows what's what and is on board with it, even if something else could be used for it, it's not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    You're over thinking it. Kid wants a dude dressed in leather. Refluff splint as a medium class leather armor (with a metal component reinforcing it if you're worried about Heat Metal). Call it whatever. Done.
    I am not overthinking it. House rule away as needed, but be aware of the impact if you're making leather armor work like a medium armor. It's not refluffing, and it has in world implications if you house rule one thing to be another that already exists.

For example, you need to decide what happens if the character's armor is destroyed or they find magical studded/leather. Do they get to pick up leather armor and wear it as medium armor or not? What if they take off their armor and give it to another character? Does it work as leather or medium armor?

In this case, probably the best house rule would be a character specific ability that lets them use light armor as the corresponding medium armor instead.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Not to mention that the PHB flat out says refluff whatever you want so long as it doesn't change the mechanics.

I have multiple characters that are wielding "shields" that take up their offhand, cost a certain amount of gold and have a certain weight.

They consist of an armored sleeve, a hammer, a reinforced scabbard, a... you get the idea.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Tanarii has the right of it. The line between refluffing and straight up changing mechanics can be blurry. In this case, being made of metal makes a difference.

Similarly, gold cost and weight are fine, but it takes an action to don a shield. So as long as it takes an action to wield that armored scabbard, should be fine.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Brigandine. Leather armor with metal reinforcement underneath.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #39

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Brigandine. Leather armor with metal reinforcement underneath.
    Specially considering the difference between Splint Mail and Bridandine IRL is literally rather or not the metal is visible on the top layer.

So, here's a fun IRL "reflavor" thing. I've fought in the SCA and I've seen people go about armor two ways (to massively generalize). One is to have plate on the outside, obvious metal and armor. The other is to make it out of something even better, like Kydex, and wearing it under tunics, tabbards, etc.

I've been "Fully" armored while appearing to be in anything from simple clothes to a noble's coat to a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Similarly, gold cost and weight are fine, but it takes an action to don a shield. So as long as it takes an action to wield that armored scabbard, should be fine.
    I said no change to mechanics, that would include the action to don. But in the same breath, I often don't stress that with real shields either.
    Last edited by Pixel_Kitsune; 2023-01-25 at 04:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

I am not overthinking it. House rule away as needed, but be aware of the impact if you're making leather armor work like a medium armor. It's not refluffing, and it has in world implications if you house rule one thing to be another that already exists.
    "Reinforced Leather" is not in the PHB. Leather armor is and studded leather is. "Reinforced Leather" is not. You're not turning "Leather Armor" into a medium class armor, you're grabbing a suit of Splint and putting a Post-It note on it saying "Reinforced Leather".

For example, you need to decide what happens if the character's armor is destroyed or they find magical studded/leather. Do they get to pick up leather armor and wear it as medium armor or not? What if they take off their armor and give it to another character? Does it work as leather or medium armor?
    This is what I meant by overthinking it. If someone said "Black armor is cool" and you said the character could have Black Splint, would you be worrying about what unknowable things happen when the character puts on a suit of padded armor instead or gives his armor to the cleric? No, because nothing happens except now the cleric is wearing swanky black armor. That's the only thing happening here -- someone thinks armor made of leather (NOT PHB "Leather Armor") is awesome so he gets a suit of (mechanically) Splint except it has leather paint on it. This is literally the basest version of refluffing, no different from casting purple fireballs.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Reinforced Leather" is not in the PHB.
    Yes it is. It is called Studded Leather.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Oh man, studded leather is a fun discussion.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #43

No, Studded Leather is Studded Leather. The description might involve reinforcement but "Reinforced Leather" is not in the PHB.

Or call it some other sort of "leather". I have no clue why you're making this so incredibly obtuse for no good reason. Are you this worried about there being multiple armors of multiple types made out of metal? Heck, there's already Hide Armor listed under Medium which is made out of animal skin and the game hasn't broken down yet. So, hey, Reinforced Hide Armor -- looks like leather, works like Splint. And no "Studded Hide" to get worried about.
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-01-26 at 12:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

No, Studded Leather is Studded Leather. The description might involve reinforcement but "Reinforced Leather" is not in the PHB.
    PHB 144.

Studded Leather. Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes.

You don't get to claim it's not in the PHB because reinforced leather doesn't have a label/name "reinforced leather". That's not how rules definitions work.

It's the equivalent of selecting Firebolt as a cantrip, renaming it Ball of Fire, and the replacing its rules with the Fireball rules.
    Last edited by Tanarii; 2023-01-26 at 10:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

PHB 144.

Studded Leather. Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes.

You don't get to claim it's not in the PHB because reinforced leather doesn't have a label/name "reinforced leather". That's not how rules definitions work.

It's the equivalent of selecting Firebolt as a cantrip, renaming it Ball of Fire, and the replacing its rules with the Fireball rules.
    Cool, so, fun fact... If, instead, we use leather reinforced with metal plates instead of rivets, or carapace from a creature, or we take the fact that studded leather is for some reason NOT treated and hardened leather like leather is and so combine the hardened leather with reinforcement.

OR... You take a suit of whichever armor you want and put a layer of leather over it for flavor and move on.

Honestly, what is your argument here? As for your cantrip analogy, no. It would be like if you were making a full on water themed mage selected the firebolt cantrip and reflavored it as a burst of steam rising up from beneath the target while still being a ranged spell attack that does 1d10 fire damage.
    Last edited by Pixel_Kitsune; 2023-01-26 at 10:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

PHB 144.

This argument is inane but it doesn't matter. Super-Duper-Reinforced-Non-Studded Leather. Done.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

PHB 144.

It's not. Not at all.

How much does this Reinforced Leather Armor cost? 750 GP.
    How much does it weigh? 40 lbs.
    What AC does it give? 15+Dex Mod (Max 2 without MAM, 3 with it).
    What does it do to Stealth rolls? Disadvantage, unless you have MAM.

In your example, you're massively altering the mechanics.
    In the example that's pertinent to the thread, the mechanics are identical-only the looks are changed.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I like Medium Armor Master, it is a good bump in AC for dex builds in early levels, expands loot options, and a good option for diversified stat lines (such as cleric and hexblade).
    I have no problems recommending it.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ask the kid which he prefers.

Personally I'd include the option of SS (and Archery FS) vs MAM vs Alert vs revenant blade (and waive the elf requirement - it's just cool and might be perfect for the little dude)

I'd also explain the options of leather, studded leather, breast plate, etc too.

Let the kid choose (unless he tells you to choose for him).

I'll also throw out, if a PC wears 1/2 plate they can doff the extra bits to go breast plate and stealth at any time. It only takes 1 minute to doff med armor, 30 seconds if another PC helps, and (if the DM allows) even less time because you aren't doffing the breast plate, just the other bits ...