New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

The Queen's Suites

The elvish queen frowns at this news, and frowns deeper at promises of assistance. "I made a mistake in trusting the kingdom of Wissimvale to handle security on this matter, clearly. Why would I make the mistake of putting wedding guests and random passerby in charge of the rescue effort? No, thank you. If you wish a royal blessing on your misadventures, you may talk to the human king whenever he wakes up. We leave for Everarbor immediately. I will consult with our sages, and we will stage our own rescue attempt."

The queen shoots Hylusi a look, then closes her eyes and speaks again in a cold voice. "Magus, as my daughter's advisor, it seems you are unemployed while she is away. I would request you monitor any attempts to rescue her and her husband to be from this end, to at least ensure that Wissimvale's attempts do not interfere with our own. As far as the Dahmian priests go, there will be no celebrations in Everarbor until my family, both my third daughter and my first human son, are returned. I have every confidence in Wissimvale to provide whatever support is needed in this rescue mission, even if their actual security... leaves much to be desired." She turns and barks a command in elvish to the guards and support personnel- "Prepare our things! We leave by morning!" Without another word, her entourage shut the doors of her suite with a finality.

"Dooorrredan..." The mumbling, groaning voice of King Reydalise rises from the couch. The king attempts to sit up, and when he does great pain crosses his face. His guards quickly move in from behind to support the king, who rubs at a large bump on his head, looking to his middle son. "Doredan, we will turn the kingdom's full might and ability to rescuing Monsinar and Deidrenei, but our magical strength pales in comparison to the elvish queendom. I will not be idle, however. I don't care if I have to spend every gold peak in the treasury, I don't care if my cry goes from the Unfathomable East to the Western Sea of Grass, I will find someone to help my boy. But... if you can figure out something quicker... you've always been a sharp boy..."

Doredan's father, usually so solid, so vital, looks wounded and ashamed at what has transpired. "I never approved of your lessons with the spy master, and I cannot ask the rest of you to do anything that would put yourselves at risk, but if there is any way of following that red moon, of following those damn kidnappers... I would ask that you undertake this task for me." He turns to Doredan and grimaces. "For your family. For the kingdom. Hells bells, the instability from this could start the whole damn war all over again if left untreated." He shifts his gaze to look over Hylusi, Kunnian, Felicity, and Bil as well. "In the name of peace and prosperity for this corner of the world, I formally ask you all, if it is at all in your capabilities, please rescue my son and my new daughter." The king's rubbing hand at his temple makes contact with the large bump on his head, causing him to wince and his guard to give a worried, hushed cry at his pain. "I must go inform your mother, Doredan. I pray to the mountain and our ancestors that she can handle the news... guards, follow me. If you need speak with me further, come to our family's wing." The king is rushed off by the guard, and then you are all left alone again.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 24/33
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions: ---
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Doredan could not bring himself to promise anything after his failure. Once he had endured the vitriol of the elven queen, and the pleas of his king father, Doredan excuses himself from the room. He finds his way to the nearest balcony to look out over the ruins of their city.

In the distant horizon, he can see the fading shape of the red moon, the third in their sky. As the thought passes through his head, Doredan's hand twitches and grips the balcony railing. The short, red cape at the back of his outfit flips in the wind of his rapid turn, and he walks inside to pull up a chair. From the carrying satchel at his side, he tugs a black, starry-skied mask.

"Mask of Three Moons," he whispers under his breath. No coincidence, surely. It can't be. Not like there's another lead, so it's worth a shot. Doredan places the mask upon his face, not certain what will happen.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

An Aside- the Mask of Three Moons

When Doredan moves to a more secluded area of the castle, the only home that he'd ever known, and begins ruminating over the three moons suspended in the sky of his plane, a sense of detachment comes over him. As his attention turns to things celestial, the mask glimmers in a faint beam of moonlight, suddenly reflective for the moment that Doredan turns his attention to it. Lifting it up before his face, he suddenly wonders if the third and central moon was a scalded red when he bought it. As a matter of fact, the coloration of the mask perfectly mirrors the triplicate moons in the Wissimvale sky. It slips on as though it were perfectly molded for his face.

For a moment, it appears as though nothing had happened. Doredan realizes that the eyes of the mask appear empty, but actually have deep blue lenses, at least when wearing them. His own breath isn't restricted by the mask, which only covers from his forehead to his nose. But after a few moments things change. Wisps of light, few and far between at first but with increasing frequency, begin to swim by the Prince's hand. This flow of light almost seems like a river flowing with many fish, but as time continues the flow becomes solid, a single layer of ethereal light. It begins to spill forward like milk from a fallen bottle, rising gently from a quick leap down the mountainside and flowing off all the way up to the slow moving red moon. It almost looks like a flow of solid smoke trailing from the moon at this point, a trail or path that spins out from rear of the of the massive aerial object.

This may cause wonder or eureka or satisfaction for the Prince, but if it does it is interrupted by the moons on the mask rotating in place with a thunk, and suddenly the lenses are green, and he is seeing something completely different. There's a moment of disorientation, and suddenly Doredan finds himself looking down at Wissimvale FROM the floating moon. His vision swims and moves without him moving his head, as though someone were forcefully turning his neck to see alien images.

Spoiler: Constitution Save DC 12
    Show
    If you fail you feel nauseous and motion sick.

Spoiler: Arcana Check, DC 8
    Show
    You're looking through someone else's eyes, and by the HEAVENS it is confusing.
    Spoiler: DC 13
    Show
    Whoever this is, they are sitting at a table looking over some papers covered in alien text, but repeatedly their eyes drift to the city, the mountain, and the castle, all hanging in space below her location on the moon. Does she know there is trouble down there?
    Spoiler: DC 16
    Show
    A humanoid being climbs up the stairs to the roof. He would be handsome if it were not for the scales around his eyes and temples and the serpentine nature of those eyes. Hell, maybe he's handsome in spite of it. He passes a tray with a drink and some sort of food to towards you, and feminine hands reach out to take the drink. She must be at a restaurant on the red moon!

Then there is another thunk, the lenses switch again, and again the Prince sees the mountainside. The moon. He's standing in the same place. But the path is clearly visible, going up to the orbit of the renegade moon, as visible and real-seeming to him as anything else around him.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-03-05 at 02:27 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 22/32
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on: fly
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

Hylusi inclined her head deeper at the Queen's command. As soon as the door shut, she abruptly rose. She frowned in thought, consternation, and just as a general principle.

The princess had said "to use the coin". She thought back on what she'd recovered from the corpse still lying in the room next door. She must mean the medallion.

Without a word, she stalked back into the Princess' chamber, holding up the medallion in the ruddy light of the ill moon. She breathed in and out, focusing her senses on it, watching how it reacted.

There would be much to do.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

23 arcana on the medallion.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

The Princess' Chamber

Utilizing the same window that the Princess left through, Hylusi lifts the coin and focuses her mental prowess on the object. So much magically inclined willpower on a single point was normally not enough to manifest power without spells, but channeled through this object it caused a stream of milky, ethereal light to spill out before the window. This steam of wispy light strengthened, solidified, and became a path that spirals off, moving in to trail the renegade moon like a particularly aggressive walkway.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    AC: 15 HP: 22/32
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

Oh ho.

Well, that would show how to get to the red moon.

However, going immediately would be... hasty. The Princess had gone deliberately; she could trust her not to die pathetically from an hour's delay.

Judging the path of the moon, she calculated it and nodded. There were things to do and, perhaps, allies to assemble.

The princeling might make a decent work partner. He was handsome for a human, she supposed, and having a pretty face to say prettier words was helpful sometimes - Hylusi made no pretence as to care social niceties, but as a prince, he'd gargled on honeyed words since before he had teeth, no doubt, and he seemed capable enough with that blade of his.

The centaur - Fourhoof, or something? She thought it was part of the castle guard or stables or something - either way, she was large, armoured, and fast, and honestly, Hylusi was deeply interested in autopsying the centaur. Did she had two sets of organs, respective to the horse and elfoid segments of the body? Or one, larger and rearranged for the combined biology? If she came along, there would be a likelihood of getting the chance. She resolved to invite the centaur along.

Who else? There was that rabbitfolk cleric from before. While it was inferior to the true power of arcane magic, the powers of the divine could be useful. The rabbit was wearing armour, so probably experienced enough in violence. Hmm. Worth a try. There was that gnome, too, who had demonstrated magic back at the marketplace battle against the beetles. Combined with the human king's request, they should be willing to come and useful enough to be worth bringing along.

That would be four companions, which should be sufficient. Too many would be unruly and awkward, especially if she had to kill them all at the end to preserve the princess' secret. Well, she'd burn that bridge if she came to it.

Right, then. It was settled. She made her way to her lab-chamber, intending to get some swift work in before she packed it all up to take with her.

When her servitors brought in the pulped flesh of her gorelings, she scribbled quick notes on some vellum and sent them off.

---

Each of the party would find themselves approached by a hooded, masked figure, clad in charcoally black-grey robes, who would present them silently with a note before departing. With a polite inclination of their head in farewell, the figure would turn and leave without saying a single word.

Inspected, the note would read, in somewhat antiquated Common:

Hark! As thou hast proven thyself above a common knave, I, the Magus Quaternaros, do beckon thee to attend to the Princess' chamber, one hour hence, shouldst thou have the will to pursue the Red Moon and its captives, of which I hath devised a means of approaching. If thee wouldst quail at further danger, come ye not, for I hath no use for the craven.

One might surmise it had been a while since Hylusi had last written outside of elvish.

Show

If possible, take a short rest for the purpose of HP recovery, Arcane Recovery, and the Chef feat, then resurrect the gorelings with a couple castings of Animate Dead with the Fingerbone staff.
    Last edited by Awful; 2023-03-07 at 05:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Maker Kunnian
    AC: 15 | HP: 20/38 +11 | HIT DICE: 5d8+10
    Speed: 25ft | Initiative: +2
    Passive Perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 11

Kunnian had remained silent as the others seemed to bravely accept the king's plea. Just as the party was disbanding temporarily, Kunnian called out to Bil and strolled up to him: ''Excuse me, father. Would you mind if I walked with you for a moment? This might be too forward of me but-but I have something I need to confess.'' There was a heavy weight upon her soul and she hoped a priest of Damh might be able to offer counsel.

As the pair stepped outside, the air still felt tense and Kunnian walked in silence for a moment before talking. She was trying to compose herself, unsure how to bring up the difficult subject on her mind: ''I-'' she started. She took a deep breathe: ''I think I could have stopped this...'' She looked away, embarrassed. ''You see, before leaving home I received a prophecy that something terrible would happen at the wedding. I came here to alert the royal family but... I can get so distracted sometimes... I completely forgot what I came here to do and decided to enjoy myself instead.'' Her eyes glistened with tears. ''And then, when I tried to save Monsinor, my magic wasn't strong enough. I don't know what to do, Bil. I want to help you, like the king requested, but what if I just make things worse again?''
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-03-08 at 02:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 28/44
    PP:10 PIv: 09 PIs: 10
    Lay on Hands: 25/25 Spell Slots: 4/2

Felicity took some time alone. Resting quietly. Neither of those were her natural states, but she'd had a long day. She'd hoped to talk to someone, but Prince Doredan went off doing royal stuff and Bil and Kunnian went off together. So she sat. Alone.

After an hour she went where the letter told her to go. Warily. Carefully. With the paper clutched in one hand like a talisman. Or a shield.

When she arrived in the princess' chamber, she asked the little elf, "Why did you write us letters? You could have just asked us?"
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

9. - Top - End - #99

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Near the Balcony

Experiencing swimming nausea, Prince Doredan struggles not to fall from his chair during the transitions between viewpoints. When the world pulls back to him, he takes off the mask and practices breathing exercises to control the sudden urge to vomit. Close eyes, breathe in, breathe out.

That image of scaled, reptilian eyes sticks with him. And the hands, not his own. Soul sister, the lizardfolk merchant had said. Apparently, quite literally. When he opens his eyes, the prince is met with the sight of one of the Magus' servants, standing before him with a hand outstretched and a letter resting in the palm. Doredan takes the letter, and the servant politely leaves the room.

Slicing it open with a letter opener, as any civilized person does, he reads the contents. With an upturn of his nose, he harumphs and tucks the letter away. Above a common knave indeed.

The Princess' Chambers

"Above a common knave indeed," when he steps into the room, the prince wears an expression of irritation. Too stained with grief to boil over into true anger, but nonetheless displeased. "I am not a servant to bid and call, Magus. I've the decency to address you by title and I expect the same. Je te ferai savoir, this prince has already resolved the means to track the Red Moon," he tosses the folded up letter onto a mostly-intact table, and holds up the starry-faced mask between two fingers.

Thankfully, the others are gathering as well, and so he divests the knowledge that has come to him. "I need only wear this mask to see the moon's trail. Furthermore," Doredan tucks the mask into his coat pocket, "It allows me to see through the eyes of someone living upon that very moon... in a city, with restaurants, no less."

"This was no act of god," he proclaims dramatically, holding up a finger. "We have been invaded, very willfully, by a society residing upon that moon." A leap in logic, perhaps. But the moon struck, the bugs abducted their people back to it, and the sky pirates followed in its wake. No shortage of damning coincidence for whatever nation lay up there.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    Maker Kunnian

Kunnian had remained silent as the others seemed to bravely accept the king's plea. Just as the party was disbanding temporarily, Kunnian called out to Bil and strolled up to him: ''Excuse me, father. Would you mind if I walked with you for a moment? This might be too forward of me but-but I have something I need to confess.'' There was a heavy weight upon her soul and she hoped a priest of Damh might be able to offer counsel.

As the pair stepped outside, the air still felt tense and Kunnian walked in silence for a moment before talking. She was trying to compose herself, unsure how to bring up the difficult subject on her mind: ''I-'' she started. She took a deep breathe: ''I think I could have stopped this...'' She looked away, embarrassed. ''You see, before leaving home I received a prophecy that something terrible would happen at the wedding. I came here to alert the royal family but... I can get so distracted sometimes... I completely forgot what I came here to do and decided to enjoy myself instead.'' Her eyes glistened with tears. ''And then, when I tried to save Monsinor, my magic wasn't strong enough. I don't know what to do, Bil. I want to help you, like the king requested, but what if I just make things worse again?''
    Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33 THP: 11
    PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 1/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd; channel 1/2

Bil looks at the gnome with sympathy as she pours out her grief.
    "Oh Kunnian, oh child."
    He wraps a reassuring paw around the gnome's hand.
    "Prophecies are always clear in retrospect. 'Something terrible?' The wedding itself could have been terrible. The beef might have been overdone, or the musicians out of tune. Many marriages are their own form of tragedy, no matter how joyous their beginnings. Often, because of those joyous beginnings."

Bil leads Kunnian to a quiet corner of the ruined castle gardens to rest and talk. He'd always liked this particular spot. A wide rosemary bush grew in the far corner, and its fragrant leaves were a sweet treat during court balls once Bil had grown tired of the chatter and the dancing and the very real *work* of being charming. That bush, like so much in Bil's life, was trampled, burnt on one side, and badly broken now.

"Kunnian, please consider for a moment the importance of a royal wedding. Of *this* royal wedding that was to bring an era of peace and unity after a generation of war and violence and grief. How many divinations have been poured into this day? How many magus and seers and holy hermits read tea leaves or sticks or consulted oracles? All of them, every one, was blind. The gods do not whisper our fate to us to spare us from it." He snorts with a short, bitter, barking laugh. "I am not sure anymore if the gods don't use prophecy to twist the knife deeper into us, for daring to presume a small sliver of their vision. So, do not confess to me as though you have committed some offense. Let the queen, with her might and splendor come to confess. Let the magus come with her pride. Your faults are so small that you need not seek forgiveness. " He exhales slowly, the fear and anger and powerlessness of the day leaving him.

"But if it brings you peace, know you are forgiven. Because, when the moment for accounting came and we had to choose to run or face the danger our foes represent, I heard you singing. Every moment is a celebration, if we allow it to be, even the moments of fear and grief. When the moment came, you chose to sing."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32 THP: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 4/10
    Alchemical treats: 7/7 granting 3THP

The paladin

When the centaur entered, Hylusi was standing at the window, staring out at the red moon and weighing the medallion in two of her hands. Their primary tasks complete, one of the servitors was cleaning the room for want of something to do. The others stood against the wall, carrying the belongings the Magus intended to take with her; spare robes, a tent, fine wine, perfume, long-lasting food, the most valuable books from her collection. The remainder had been packed and instructons had been left to send them back to Bleakpines.

The corpse of the man Hylusi had killed had been stashed in the corner of the Princess' chamber, destined to no doubt upset the maids in the morning.

She turned her head at the sound of hooves striking on stone. The centaur - as with all their ilk - was tall, but despite her size and obvious might the creature was holding the letter like an aegis before her.
    <The letter? There was - is - much to be done before the Red Moon departs, and my time was better utilised in work. Neither myself or my servants can speak aloud, and they do not have the telepathic talent that I possess. Thus, the letters. They served their purpose, did they not?>
    Her mind-voice was calm and measured as she turned to face the paladin more fully.
    <Fourhooves, correct? I hope you have prepared. We will not return for some time, I believe, and even I cannot be certain what we will encounter.>

---

The prince

As the Prince entered, Hylusi bore his annoyance with a neutral expression, but when he revealed he too had found a way to follow the moon, she blinked. Her voice did not stutter - as a thought, it was incapable of such, but there was nonetheless a note of surprise in it.
    <You... have?>
    She settled herself, adjusting her grip on her staff, and when she next 'spoke' it was in her normal cold-water tone.
    <I see. My apologies, your Highness - the recent events have left my humours unbalanced. The letter was generic. No insult was meant to you and your station.>

Once the rest of the group had gathered, she turned back to look at the distant ruddy moon.
    <Restaurants, indeed? I would be interested in inspecting that mask of yours at some point. But for matters at hand...>

Focusing her will on the medallion, she brought back the milky path to the Red Moon. She gestured grandly with her left arms to the way to the Moon, stepping aside to clear the way for the others.

<Behold, our path. I cannot say what we might face once we depart. I would recommend you go first, in case the path vanishes behind me, being the summoner.>

Show

Added the twilight cleric THP from earlier since i didn't update my stats for it, which afaik should last until i finish a long rest.

12. - Top - End - #102

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 32/44

Felicity did not have much. Far from home and a career knight, she possessed little more than clothing, her weapons and armour, and a few personal effects.

Everything she owned was slung in a pack over her back.

She was still a little uncertain about the thin elf mage. She seemed... unwholesome. Felicity didn't like to judge a book by its cover, but some covers just had big scary skulls on them and there was no point in pretending otherwise.

Still, Kunnian and Bil and the Prince all seemed fine. So she was probably just being oversensitive.

It's not like she's fantasizing about cutting me up and studying me like a lab animal after all.

Felicity smiled a wan, uncertain smile.

"I'm ready," she said, "For whatever comes next."

13. - Top - End - #103

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

Letting out a breath, Prince Doredan shrugs off his irritation. "It has been a trying day," he admits, in understatement. When the milky path appears, it reminds him of those that the bugs used to latch onto and let the moon carry them away. Looking upon the strand leading into the horizon, he wonders aloud, "How many days do you think we will need to walk the path to catch up to the moon?"

Turning to the commoners and knights, the prince straightens his clothes and takes charge, "We must be sure to bring enough food for the journey. Let us split up, and search the kitchens and guards' quarters for any provisions we can take." He casts his gaze between Quaternaros and Maker Kunnian. "Have any of us prepared the spell Feather Fall? We should be prepared in case the path vanishes beneath us."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

<Few, if any. Consider the insects,>
    Hylusi sent. <They were accelerated back to the moon with their prey at incredible speed. It is likely we will encounter the same phenomenon.>
    At his question of spells, Hylusi nodded. <I ensure featherfall is available. When one can utilise flight, only a fool relies on the kindess of gravity in the face of interference with their spell.> She glanced at the others. <Of course, it only affects a limited number of entities, the number of which this group will exceed.>

Show

nil

15. - Top - End - #105

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

<Few, if any. Consider the insects,>
    Hylusi sent. <They were accelerated back to the moon with their prey at incredible speed. It is likely we will encounter the same phenomenon.>
    At his question of spells, Hylusi nodded. <I ensure featherfall is available. When one can utilise flight, only a fool relies on the kindess of gravity in the face of interference with their spell.> She glanced at the others. <Of course, it only affects a limited number of entities, the number of which this group will exceed.>

Show

nil
    Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 23/33 THP:
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil conducts a quick headcount. Kunnian, Felicity, the prince, the mage, himself...
    "I am, of course, no expert in the limitations of your Art, lady magus. But my experience with the particular spell you mention is that we are actually a small enough group to fit comfortably within its limits. Unless there are other warriors not gathered her prepared to make the journey, perhaps? Or," Bil's gaze is direct and unamused, "perhaps you mean to imply that you would choose to preserve the undead minions in your command over the companion's gathered here?"
    He sniffs. "His highness the prince was not the only one perturbed by the curtness of your note."

-- At an appropriate moment, to Prince Doredan --
    "Your highness, would you know if anyone within the castle has a quantity of diamonds available? I have gold to exchange, but they are the crucial component in a spell of resuscitation. Should one of our companions be slain, with the appropriate offering I can beg Damh's intercession? If not, I must beg time to return to town, and hope to find a merchant able to open his shop in these distressing times."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    posting in the back together timeline, knowing Bil and Kunnian have a flashback still to wrap up

Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-03-12 at 12:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

"The palace treasurer may be able to trade some," the prince replies to Bil. "I will go with you. Perhaps acquiring a spare scroll of Feather Fall in town is also wise before we set out."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

d6 Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

At Bil's accusation, the Magus regarded him coldly before sighing slightly in exasperation. For the sake of diplomacy, she decided to be polite, already vaguely regretting inviting the rabbit along.

<Oh, so you realised their nature?> Hylusi 'said' as mildly as she could. <Very well. My three servants here are no common 'undead minions', as you put it. They still possess their anima, their will, their names. They are very much what they were before their deaths - minus the more... temporary organics. They have provided me with loyal and able service for longer than you've existed, unless I miss my guess.>
    With a flex of her will, she beckoned one of the resurrected gorelings, the gloved hand creeping up from her sleeve to balance on a slender grey hand - a neat white glove, squatting like a spider on her palm. It chirped softly until she silenced it with a thought.
    <These ones are mere tools. They are little different to that mace you carry at your belt. Indeed, I expended them in my defeat of that raider, apparently the only such success.>
    She gestured casually to the corpse in the the corner as she met the cleric's gaze, just as grave.
    <My silent retainers are sworn to me, to serve beyond death. They are mine, and I will not squander them needlessly, nor permit their destruction. So to answer your accusation, master hare: read into my words as you will - but I merely stated that the spell would be insufficient for all who needed preserving, and so it is.>

She shrugged lightly.
    <For the sake of the venture ahead, I will forgive the choler in your statement, as I'm sure you will forgive any unintentional insult within my letter.>

Show

nil

18. - Top - End - #108

Flumph

Maker Kunnian

- To Bil, in the courtyard-

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    Sorry I took some time to reply. I'll just wrap this up without any conversation since it would probably be weird to go back and forth in the timeline

Kunnian let the fragrance of the rosemary tree, combined with the light scent of honey that followed her wherever she went envelop and soothe her. She closed her eyes to consider Bil's words for a moment. He was truly inspiring. Kunnian herself wished to be such a leader for her people some day... And maybe this was the perfect opportunity for her to step up, to do something that everyone back home would be proud of and to finally prove herself! ''You're right.'' She said, her conviction renewed. ''As long as there is good song, good company, there will always be hope. The people are afraid right now. Heck, I'm afraid. But instead of letting this fear control me, I should seize it, seize this opportunity, and make things right again.'' A moment, then: ''I-I'll be honest, I'm a little bit scared of the lady with four arms and the prospect of travelling alongside her. But her concern for the princess certainly did seem genuine so she can't be all bad. Right?'' The question seemed more to herself than to Bil and before he could answer she hopped to her feet: ''Thanks again mister Bil! But I need to go collect my things if we are to be gone travelling for a while. And I need to write back home, too... They'll be so worried if they don't know where I am for so long. Oh! There are so many arrangements to make... Who will teach the little ones while I'm away I-'' She suddenly stopped herself. ''Sorry. I'm rambling again. Well, I'll see you in a bit, ok? Thanks again. Oh! And here, take this.''
    She rummages through her pockets and pulls out a colorful cupcake, covered in sprinkles and surprisingly well preserved for something she just fished out of a pocket. ''It's my infinity cupcake. Eat it! It's really good. Don't worry, it'll grow back tomorrow, so you can give it back to me then.'' She winks, and runs off.

- in her room -
    Kunnian is furiously writing letters - to her cousin Gimble, her parents, to Elder Klazmar, to her little sister, to her pupils... when she received the visit of the Magus' servant. She reads the letter the servant delivered, unsure of what it means because of the archaic writing - Common was not her mother tongue either. She furrows her brow: ''Does this mean your mistress wants me to go meet her?'' The servant shook it's head ever so slightly in an affirmative way. ''Ok. Wait, I'll come with you. I'm a little shy to show up there alone. What if I'm the first one to arrive? That would be awkward.'' She starts packing her things quickly and continues talking all the while: ''Well, I was mostly finished writing my letters anyways. Maybe you can help me find someone to deliver them? I'm not too sure how the post works around here...'' The servant remains silent: ''Not too talkative, are you, huh? Well, that's alright. I have a bunch of storie from back home to entertain you with on our way to meet your mistress.''
    And the unlikely pair headed off towards the meeting.

- in the Magus' quarters -
    Kunnian and the servant arrived in the middle of the others' conversation. The servant is visibly relieved that her ordeal with the bard is over. Kunnian says: ''Oh! You're all there already. Don't mind me, then. Keep talking,''. She smiled awkwardly. While the others discussed logistics and such, she could feel tension directed towards Hylusi, so she plucked a soft tune on her lyre, hoping to relax the atmosphere...

She shrugged lightly.
    <For the sake of the venture ahead, I will forgive the choler in your statement, as I'm sure you will forgive any unintentional insult within my letter.>
    Well, if it's any consolation I thought your letter was lovely! she says softly, still hoping to defuse the situation.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-03-13 at 09:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity listened to the tense exchange with increasing anxiety. She didn't know much about princes or mages. Or unwholesome-cute-but-spooky elves. So she was a little out of her depth. She was more confused by Hylusi's letter than offended.

Then the prince mentioned raiding the larders! For food! To carry on the way! That was something she could do!

"I can check the kitchens!" she called out, happy to be of service. Even mundane service.

"Kunian? Do you want to come with?"

She had an instinct that the Bard would be really good at foraging.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlueKnightGuy

<These ones are mere tools. They are little different to that mace you carry at your belt. Indeed, I expended them in my defeat of that raider, apparently the only such success.>
    She shrugged lightly.

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil eats the cupcake Kunnian leaves him. She didn't explain about the things magic in nearly sufficient detail for his liking. Carefully, he savors the sweetness of it, leaving a mouthful behind, tucked carefully in its wrapper and secure in his rucksack. Plenty to grow back from, he thinks, just in case it works that way.

When Hylusi snipes back at him, Bil offers a nod of his head at her comparison of her minions to his mace. There was a logic there, and while undeath frequently tormented the souls of the afflicted, if no suffering was involved, if the service was willing... then there was nothing in Damh's teaching that opposed the undead per se. Everyone is entitled to seek their own bliss, as far as they do no harm to those around them. Clearly, she had misunderstood the thrust of his jab - the undeath of the her servants didn't bother him, but her blunt assurance that she would value their existence over theirs in a crisis. But there was nothing for him to gain by clarifying his position.

And then he offers a slight bow of acceptance when the mage offers her apology, backhanded though it may be. He's enough of a diplomat to know he does their party no service by deepening discord. All the same, he wishes they were setting off on more equal footing. The mage clearly sees the three non-royal companions as expendable tools. So be it. You can't be friends with everyone, and there are plenty of people in the world who aren't worth the effort.

"I need a few moments longer before we depart. The prince has kindly offered to introduce me to the royal treasurer. I have want of a spell component that I hope to never need. Can I pick up anything for anyone while I'm about?" Bil offers his new companions a buck toothed grin.
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-03-13 at 10:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity listened to the tense exchange with increasing anxiety. She didn't know much about princes or mages. Or unwholesome-cute-but-spooky elves. So she was a little out of her depth. She was more confused by Hylusi's letter than offended.

Then the prince mentioned raiding the larders! For food! To carry on the way! That was something she could do!

"I can check the kitchens!" she called out, happy to be of service. Even mundane service.

"Kunian? Do you want to come with?"

She had an instinct that the Bard would be really good at foraging.
    Maker Kunnian
    AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 | HIT DICE: 5d8+10

''Sure, let's go!'' She says, glad to leave the tedious planning to others. ''I hope I won't slow you down too much though, with my tiny little legs and all,'' she said with a hopeful grin. She let her words hang between them for a few seconds, hoping Felicity would catch on and offer her a ride, but knowing all too well the chances for that were slim... After all, centaurs didn't usually enjoy hauling people on their backs and the previous ride was certainly born out of necessity.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    After a few seconds, if there is no reaction, she will simply trot along behind Felicity, hiding her disappointment

Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-03-14 at 08:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

"Right. I will show you to the treasury," the Prince motions for Bil to follow taking the lead through familiar halls in search of diamonds for the rabbitfolk's revivifying magic. Once they'd acquired the materials, he would set out to find a spare scroll of Feather Fall for the gnomish bard, in case they should need it.

23. - Top - End - #113

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 44

No fool, Felicity, she knew right awat what Kunnian was hinting at. And after a moment of reflexive indignation, she thought about it. It was different during the attack. That was just providing any asset she had to help the cause. It was no different than throwing herself in front of a bystander.

But this was different. Her mother would be scandalized. Her people all had very strong opinions about this sort of thing (and was one of the reasons centaurs didn't hang out with bipeds, actually).

But Felicity found that she didn't feel one way or another about it. And Kunnian's joyful, hopeful face tipped the balance.

She looked at her friend, a twinkle in her eye. "Hey, you, uh, you wanna...." and she gestured to her back.

24. - Top - End - #114

Flumph

Maker Kunnian
    AC: 15 | HP: 38/38 +11 | HIT DICE: 5d8+10

Kunnian could hardly believe it. She was quite savvy in the ways of the fey folk and the centaurs were no exception. Felicity offering her a ride was an immense honor! After all the emotions she'd gone through today in such a short period of time, this small mark of recognition and friendship was just too much for her to handle: she sniffed, tears now coursing down her cheeks. She clambered onto her centaur friend and muttered a short: ''Thanks.'' Her stomach growled and she realized she was quite hungry: ''Let's go find some food, then!'' She was beaming as the pair left the room, but still sobbing - what a strange day it had been. With a thought, she transformed her armor into comfortable looking travel clothes, a more appropriate look for the voyage ahead.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-03-17 at 11:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Preparations

The heroes travelled about the castle, seeking assistance for their cause. The royal treasurer was unmoved by Bil's request at first, but the additional weight of Prince Doredan's request finally caused him to relent. He returned from the vaults with two pouches, each one filled with tiny diamonds. What they lacked in size, they made up for in quantity. "These diamonds are kept on hand for emergencies. Seeing as this is an emergency, we can give you six hundred gold worth of the mountain's bounty. Use it wisely. Like if our local Prince decides to get felled by some horrible monster." The wizened old treasurer, who had known Doredan his entire life, gave the Prince a smile, passing to him a woolen cloak with veins of silver thread running through it. "And for our adventuring Prince, we have your grandfather's cloak, recovered the regrettable night he fell to assassins. It was to be your older brother's wedding present. I trust you will present him to it after getting much use out of it. Godspeed, Prince Doredan."

Show
    600 gp of diamonds in two 300 gp sacks, one cloak of resistance for the Prince. No, not that Prince. The other Prince. Do deliver it to him.

In the kitchens, Felicity and Kunnian's plea is met by a small woman wearing an apron with a friendly smile on her face. The head chef's smile melts away as you describe the direness of your mission, however. "I knew that poor Monsinar was getting into trouble marrying that elvish witch. Well, our heroes to be will not want for anything I can provide." She makes her way to the pantry, returning a quarter hour later with two small barrels of food mounted by leather straps to be carried by a mule. Or a centaur. "There's some basic rations in there, but I also raided the royal pantry for you. There's five Ephasian apples in there- you'll know them, they glow slightly, and they don't spoil. They say Ephasian apples will cure anything that ails you, and I've not seen them fail once. Use them carefully, though. They are worth more than you can afford, and I was supposed to bake them into a pie for lunch tomorrow."

Show
    Supplies. Plenty of them. You'll run out eventually, but likely not before you have time to restock. Each Ephasian apple counts as a potion of greater healing that casts lesser restoration on you when you eat it, and you have 5.

Hylusi's journey through the Princess' chambers is bitter sweet. It is simultaneously empty of anything of use and filled with memories. Late nights studying tomes. Early mornings breaking fast after trancing. Inane dinner parties broken up by telepathic sarcastic jokes about the guests. All these moments and more flash back through the Magus' mind, so much so that she does not notice at first when one of her servants, face impassive and masked, returns from the room where Hylusi tranced and kept her quarters, adjoined to the Princess'. The servitor hands a small blue ring attached with silver cord to a small note. In reading it, it was obviously prepared before the Princess meant to leave, before she was confronted and questioned by her Magus.

Spoiler: Elvish note
    Show
    My compatriot, my study partner, my closest companion- I must go. There are forces beyond us in this world and in others, and I hope that by the time we meet again I will have greater mastery over them. Keep this knowledge secret, and I will return for you, so that we may both be elevated beyond the meager titles of Queen of some human backwater and Court Wizard, admittedly of a very capable Queen. I want something better for myself that secular power. More for us. I wish I could tell you more, but if I linger one more moment the opportunity will be lost or I fear my conviction may falter. Take this. Be safe. Grow more powerful. We will meet again, with entire worlds beneath us. Your Teacher in this World and Beyond, Deidrenei.

Spoiler: Blue Ring
    Show
    This is a Ring of Force of Will, tuned to evocation. 3 charges, restoring 1d3 at dawn. You can spend a charge to cast counterspell targeting any evocation spell of 3rd level or lower (please remind me when you fight spell casters and I will probably automatically activate it when we discuss it OOC). You lose hit points equal to 3 times the spells level. This is a reaction action. It requires attunement.

Spoiler: History DC 15
    Show
    This is one of Renald's Rings, a protective ring passed down through the aristocracy of Everarbor for many generations. Crafted by King Renald, there were blue rings, red rings, and a single black ring. The black ring went to his wife, the queen, and you know that it has been worn by every queen since, including the one one room over. The red rings went to his many children, most of which are lost to time, misadventure, war, or ruin. The blue rings, the least powerful, were given to trusted advisors, courtiers of rank, and, supposedly, their lovers. They are uncommon, but not unknown of in Everarbor, but it is still considered an esteemed honor to receive one (whether it is a sign of trust, respect, admiration, or affection).

Once the group is assembled in one of the terrace gardens, freshly supplied and seemingly prepared, Hylusi or Doredan activate their respective tokens, summoning the ethereal, milky Path that leads to the moon. When someone touches it, a wave of light pulses through the path along with a hollow chime, but it is as solid as the very stone of the mountain beneath your feet. It is time.

However, before the group can make their first step in their great journey, a wailing comes from within the castle, followed by a maid's curse and the sound of rapid feet coming this way. Doredan's younger brother, Ferdinand, stomps his way up to Doredan and kicks him firmly in the shin. "They say you are leaving! They say you are going to save big brother! She says you may be gone a long time!" The young boy jerks his thumb backwards at a maid who is approaching, hopping on one leg with a fresh scuff on her own shin. "You better find Monsinar! And you better bring him back! And we're going to be a family, and be happy, and we'll be together again! Forever!" The young dark skinned boy has tears in the corners of his eyes, and he throws himself at his older brother in an awkward child's hug. "I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO!!!"
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-03-17 at 11:43 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #116

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

The Treasury

Taking the cloak across his arms, the prince looks at it solemnly. "I will depart with this cloak on my shoulders," he folds it carefully upon a table and removes his own red, ceremonial cloak, replacing it with the silver-lined protective one. It would take some time to attune to it, but it would serve to aid him on his quest. "And may Lathandar guide me home, with it across my brother's shoulders."

Offering the treasury guard a polite farewell, he marches his way back to their point of departure. No scroll were they able to find, but hopefully the bridges of magic would not collapse beneath them.

The Departure

With the black, starry mask upon his face, Prince Doredan looks out upon the twin trails following the moon. As he works up the nerve to step off the balcony and onto one of them, a familiar voice's wailing makes him freeze. Doredan's heart beats faster, a surge of relief and twinged heartstrings both accompanying the knowledge that the little prince had survived the moon's fall. A farewell he'd wanted to avoid is charging his way.

"Ow!" those feelings have a pang of brotherly annoyance jabbed into them, when little Ferdinand kicks him in the shin. "Don't kick me, you little-" bending down to rub his shin, Doredan catches the crying child's arms around his lowered shoulders, dangling off of him like the world's largest necklace.

Grabbing onto Ferdinand, Doredan hugs him back, fighting not to cry in front of his vassals and soon-to-be traveling companions. He pats the boy and sets him down, struggling to get him to let go. "I... would rather not go, either, to be honest. But," there's a lot of buts. The weight of responsibility and shame after failing to see through the abductors' illusion. The fear of the crown's weight. Putting their family back together. "Someone must. And I seem to have been chosen for that task."

Raising a hand to the mask upon his face, Doredan traces the unnaturally smooth material, like a glass window into a starry night sky. "I will return, Ferdy. You will make sure mother and father do not cry too much while I am gone, oui?"

27. - Top - End - #117

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/ 5 d8 HD

Bil thanks the treasurer with formalities. He pledges to return the diamonds if they’re able to avoid needing them.

—-

He watches the princely brothers’ farewell with the practiced detachment of lifelong court functionaries. He looks away while noting every detail. Doredan was doing his duty, but reluctantly? But he seems sincerely devoted to his family; his embrace of his brother is genuine and plenty of royal children would not have shed a tear for a departing sibling. Perhaps there will be time to learn more. But hopefully they’ll be home in time for dinner.
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-03-20 at 10:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 44

Felicity was delighted by the run down to the kitchens (delighted that Kunnian was delighted, for the most part). She was excited about finding the matron and the matron finding them supplies. She was... slightly less delighted about being saddled with a mule's harness. And instantly she heard her mother's voice in her ear saying she told her so.

But she kind of brute-forced her way throught it. They were on a long journey, this was one of the ways she could contribute. She didn't want to ruin Kunnian's fun.

And she found that, after the initial burst of shame and indignation, she was able to genuinely smile at the matron and thank her for the gift of the apples. And then thank Kunnian for her suggestion for how to split them.

So by the time she got back to the group, she was pretty much ready to get going to whatever came next.

But then the Prince's brother arrived. And this was a whole other thing. Felicity didn't like any of her siblings, so this was all new to her.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

The princess' chambers

The room itself meant nothing to the Magus, she told herself. The memories remained, but even they were only important due to the person within.

Always move forward, she reminded herself. Life is struggle. There's no time to wallow in regret or despair or fear.

When she was handed the ring and the more, she looked down at both for a long time.

A ring. A letter of farewell, for now. She slipped it onto a finger, feeling the cool metal against ash-grey skin. The Princess had intended to leave her behind - but she had planned to come back.

The letter she carefully folded and stowed away. She'd burn it later. The magic in the ring hissed against her, unattuned as yet. It'd need time.

The Princess had given her a ring, but by the end, they would be both be wearing crowns of stars, if Hylusi had her way about it.

The garden

Hylusi had frowned at the interruption, wondering what new delay was about to manifest, but it turned out just to be the littlest human princeling, barely even more than a fetus by elven terms and not that far beyond even in human ones.

She said nothing - of course - having little interest in intervening and no inclination towards dealing with children in the first place. It was strange how the littlest princeling was trying to stop him going, as it would increase his chances of the throne in future; well, perhaps he was even too young for the basics of politics. Her own sister certainly would not cry at her departure.

She waited politely for the scene to resolve. Once the interpersonal aspects were over, she stepped up to the path.

<Come. Let us depart.>
    Despite her previous words of warning, now the prospect was ahead of her, she found herself eager. A wave of hands pulsed around her feet and boosted her step onto the milky way road, her loyal servitors merely a step behind.

Show

nil

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

The Terrace Garden

Ferdinand sniffs and hugs at his brother's leg, but Doredan's reassurances seem to take hold, and he begins to calm down. A maid swoops in and scoops up the youngest prince of the mountain, begging Doredan's forgiveness. You are left alone, and with nothing else to stop you, you all step on to the path. It is as solid as stone and just as supporting, even though it looks to be made of thickened mist and light. After the first few steps along the path it seems to move with you, carrying you along at an ever increasing pace towards the red moon. Much as it was predicted, you swiftly reach speeds that cause your vision to blur and your senses to meld. Then, in a flash you are all falling.

The Red Sea

Falling, you all tumble toward the reddish face of a wave-tossed sea stretching away in all directions. Then you plunge beneath its cold surface, surrounded by a burst of effervescent bubbles.

Spoiler: DC 5 Athletics
    Show
    Swimming to the surface is surprisingly easy in this red tinted sea, and even an amateur swimmer can rise with the continuous stream of bubbles to escape the water.

Spoiler: Less than DC 5 Athletics
    Show
    You begin to sink deeper into the sea despite the lifting feelings of the bubbles. You may reroll the save, but with disadvantage. If you fail 3 successive saves then you begin to sink, and someone might have to deep dive after you.

Massive but slow waves roll across this wine colored sea. Between their peaks, a low line of pale stone is visible in one direction, probably less than a half mile away. Between waves it is possible to see that someone is standing on a stone causeway, looking out at you all over the water.

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    The figure has more than two arms in their silhouette, much like Hylusi.

Show
    Once you are on the surface with that DC 5 you don't need to roll to move around- the waves may be large, but they are gentle. All of you can move towards the stone causeway at 1/2 speed, which will take a while, but once you adjust to the cool water it's not particularly unpleasant.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-03-21 at 07:47 PM.
    The Bear is Back.