New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default D&D Honor Among Thieves - New Trailer

So this dropped today:

Red Wizards of Thay appear to be confirmed as the villains. Also, that Mimic looks... juicy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Honor Among Thieves - New Trailer

It looks pretty fun. That's maybe not quite how I imagined an owlbear, but I'm glad it made it in.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    It looks pretty fun. That's maybe not quite how I imagined an owlbear, but I'm glad it made it in.
    I believe the owlbear in question is actually the party's druid, which suggests we may be getting a new druid subclass at some point
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I believe the owlbear in question is actually the party's druid, which suggests we may be getting a new druid subclass at some point
    If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that Owlbear just becomes a Beast. There already is an animal transformation focused Druid subclass, it'd be a little weird to make another unless there is a whole lot more weirdness going on with the character beyond "can turn into an Owlbear"

Other than that, trailer looks fun and silly. D&D Guardians of the Galaxy more than anything else. Hopefully it has an actual heart to it like the GotG series rather than just being quippy action heroes.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2023-01-23 at 04:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Not sure I like the voice Justice Smith is trying to pull off. Too much of a "Star-Lord trying to impress Thor" vibe for me.

Otherwise, loving the look of the Red Wizards, great choice of villains. Between that, an Owlbear and Michelle Rodriguez playing a Barbarian, I am looking forward to this. Hope they pull off something fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Red Wizards of Thay appear to be confirmed as the villains.
    Not sure if the Led Zepplin sound track will be a part of the movie, but I love how they tie it into the trailers. Nice touch. And at this point, please, I would ask, no more trailers.
    Save some surprises for the movie.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-01-23 at 04:59 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hate to say it, but it keeps looking better and better.

In a thoroughly ridiculous, thoroughly fun kinda way. I’ve basically gamed with that group.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Not sure if the Led Zepplin sound track will be a part of the movie, but I love how they tie it into the trailers. Nice touch. And at this point, please, I would ask, no more trailers.
    Save some surprises for the movie.
    Agree with you. Over at the Willow thread, a LOT of people were complaining about using rock/modern music in fantasy and how it creates a dissonance for them, but I don't agree. I like the use of modern music. Way better than "something that sounds like greensleeves but with more flutes" that you tend to get in fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that Owlbear just becomes a Beast. There already is an animal transformation focused Druid subclass, it'd be a little weird to make another unless there is a whole lot more weirdness going on with the character beyond "can turn into an Owlbear"
    Valid point - though I could also see "focus on shapeshifting into one monster (or a handful of monsters) that scales" being its own subclass too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Other than that, trailer looks fun and silly. D&D Guardians of the Galaxy more than anything else. Hopefully it has an actual heart to it like the GotG series rather than just being quippy action heroes.
    Based on Chris Pine's delivery of "I lost everything that ever mattered to me" I'm for sure expecting some pathos to balance out the silliness.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Agree with you. Over at the Willow thread, a LOT of people were complaining about using rock/modern music in fantasy and how it creates a dissonance for them, but I don't agree. I like the use of modern music. Way better than "something that sounds like greensleeves but with more flutes" that you tend to get in fantasy.
    I hope you'll appreciate what I did with this.
    Our party had a War cleric, Warforged, about seven feet tall in heavy armor.
    His deity was called Tor Elan.
    My bard wrote him a song based on Black Sabbath's Iron Man

Spoiler: It's a lovely song, and Props to Bob Rivers for I Am Santa Claus ... Inspiration
    Show
    - heavy metal riffs on Dil's magical cittern; hey, it's magic!-

Meh-tal face does shine
    Can he see or is he blind?
    There he stands so tall
    Swings his hammer, see foes fall

Demons, filled with dread
    For their de-mise, no tears shed
    Serving Tor Elan
    Spreads his faith with each new dawn

- hard riff, dissonant chord - Yes, that cittern is a Stratocaster, why do you ask? - into the bridge -

No kin or family!
    He stares out at the world
    Fights with dire passion
    Into pits demons hurled

- obligatory short solo, high speed shredding -

Hammer, bloody red
    Fills miscreants full of dread
    Run far if they can,
    Flee the Fist of Tor Elan !

If you go to the bottom of this page, the songs are all listed (all but one parodies of or tributes to songs that I know and like) here. They tell the story of our characters and a few of our adventures, but one of them is pure self indulgence that was created specifically for a public performance where the queen was in attendance. (Reference song on that one is Van Halen Ice Cream Man, but that's a cover of a much older blues song ...)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-01-24 at 10:00 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I hope you'll appreciate what I did with this.
    I certainly do indeed! The first D&D character I ever made was a bard and he wrote a song for each character in the party. He wrote at least one poem for each session, detailing the previous session. It was such a blast. I'll have to dig up that work and copy it somewhere here. Thanks for sharing!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I certainly do indeed! The first D&D character I ever made was a bard and he wrote a song for each character in the party. He wrote at least one poem for each session, detailing the previous session. It was such a blast. I'll have to dig up that work and copy it somewhere here. Thanks for sharing!
    I am currently playing a paladin, not a bard, with the same group. I had originally promised to write a short haiku, a limerick, and a zen koan (well, a badly constructed zen koan) for each session. The Limericks have gone the way of the plains buffalo, but for most sessions I have been posting the zen koans and haikus (well, bad haiku anyway) Which reminds me, our last session needs one of each.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rock/modern music works beautifully in A Knight's Tale. Great little film.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I haven’t seen Willow so won’t comment there, but for me it’s very dependent on the type of fantasy you’re watching. For a fun meta romp like this D&D is looking to be, bring on the heavy metal. The movie isn’t looking to draw me into the fantasy world, it’s saying “fighting dragons is cool, yeah? Let’s do that, to electric guitar!”

Where I don’t want the heavy metal is a fantasy with depth. Shows like Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings should be keeping to an appropriately orchestral score. It doesn’t have to be so-called “fantasy music”, but I don’t want to have a battle with Aerosmith playing over it either.

As an aside, Ed Sheeran’s cameo in GoT did not bother me. He had a bit part and played appropriate music that (I think) was done specifically for the show. If I didn’t know what he looked at I wouldn’t have known he was a modern musician.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

New clip, and it's hilarious:

Definitely a beer and pretzels campaign.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I am wondering if whoever is making that movie heard about hand slings, or misunderstood slings (like hand catapult instead of one used by David).
    Assuming if there will be out-of-character meta narration, where Doric's player realized that they didn't know about hand sling before DM just go with it.
    I am not sure but they did say that they MAY use Princess Bride style narration, even if it might disrupt the flow.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There's literally nothing in these trailers that I haven't liked so far. The quip-heavy fantasy action that MCU repopularized really fits the vibe of D&D sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    There's literally nothing in these trailers that I haven't liked so far. The quip-heavy fantasy action that MCU repopularized really fits the vibe of D&D sessions.
    Very much this. I'm getting strong Guardians of the Galaxy vibes from the trailer which is just perfect for the type of movie this appears to be.

What struck me most about the latest clip is how much chemistry the cast has. They play off each other very well to make a simple "3 5 questions" joke work.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2023-02-19 at 01:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ben-zayb
    Whoever’s producing this movie understands their target audience far better than WotC leadership seems to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    New clip, and it's hilarious:
    Definitely a beer and pretzels campaign.
    Yes. Our Wednesday night group leans more Beer and Pretzels than not.
    The party call themselves the Beervengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Whoever’s producing this movie understands their target audience far better than WotC leadership seems to.
    Yes they do. My celestial Warlock has the at will speak with the dead invocation (Whispers of the Grave) and we've used it quite a lot. That opening bit made me grin.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-02-22 at 01:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

That new clip is a lot of fun. It really does look like they finally got someone who knows what it feels like to play at a D&D table to make a D&D movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The article by Julia Anderson makes me scratch my head.
    Is the PR team trying to un-hype the movie?

Spoiler: What the discussion of this article tends to focus on...
    Show
    You don't have to weaken a male lead in order to establish strong female lead, unless you don't think a female lead can carry a movie. Which time and again good female leads have shown that they can do. Like the little girl in the commercial, I ask "why can't we have both?"

I am going to see the movie when it comes out, with our group from work - wife says "not interested." I want a D&D movie that (finally) lives up to the potential.
    Spoiler: And if you are gonna be faithful to the source material...
    Show
    Also, if the moon Druid is a scene stealer in the movie then it's a good emulation of the 5e game.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-03-05 at 08:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

D&D Beyond now provides backstories and stat blocks for the five protagonists and two main antagonists:
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/tg/thieves-gallery
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

24. - Top - End - #24

anyone want to post some details for those of us who either can't reach dnd beyond through our VPN or don't want to sign up to it?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

anyone want to post some details for those of us who either can't reach dnd beyond through our VPN or don't want to sign up to it?
    I was hoping the direct link would work for everyone.

Okay, let me format that... Here are the backstories (click on the pictures for full resolution):

Protagonists

Spoiler: Doric
    Show
    The tiefling Doric was taken in by a wood elf enclave in Neverwinter Wood after being abandoned as a child, and she guards her adoptive community with nature’s ferocity. The Circle of the Moon has taught her to heed her primal instincts, which rarely lead her astray. She can be brusque, but she will fight tooth and nail for a cause she believes in.

Doric has joined the Emerald Enclave, a network of survivalists who tend to the balance between civilization and nature. When the Lord of Neverwinter targeted her woodland home for its resources, Doric rallied the resistance.

Spoiler: Edgin Darvis
    Show
    Edgin Darvis has a talent for improvisation and strategy. He’s a musician and tale-teller who relies on charisma first—rather than magic or muscle—to escape trouble. Once a member of the Harpers, a spy organization dedicated to protecting Faerûn’s common folk, Edgin has forsworn his oath and turned to thievery to support his family. Edgin’s strong moral compass compels him to steal only from people he believes deserve to lose both coin and face.

Edgin’s confidence and rakish demeanor make him a natural leader. With carefully chosen words, he inspires the members of his thieves’ crew to greatness. But when his past mistakes come calling, Edgin must face the music. He now seeks to make amends to those he’s wronged and to confront those who have wronged him.

Spoiler: Holga Kilgore
    Show
    Holga Kilgore is a member of the Uthgardt Elk Tribe, and her strength and scowl conceal a generous heart. She’s a woman of few words who lets her actions (and punches) speak for her. A fearsome combatant when her ire is up, Holga wields anything that comes to hand—from weapons to snacks. Her unwavering loyalty makes her a fierce defender of allies, particularly her best friend, Edgin.

After Holga was exiled from her clan, she wandered unmoored and craving connection. Now that she has forged a new home with Edgin and his band of thieves, she won’t lose another family without a fight.

Spoiler: Simon Aumar
    Show
    Simon Aumar suffers under the weight of his family name. Though he is a descendent of an elf and the legendary wizard Elminster Aumar, Simon’s own sorcerous wild magic runs uncontrolled through his veins. Simon has not yet developed the ability to harness his power, and his spells explode or fizzle seemingly at random.

Though he’s dogged by doubt, the brave young mage has earned his place in Edgin’s crew. He performs best under pressure, instinctively unleashing his magic in dire moments. How he will continue to unlock his potential and what he will do with his volatile gift are yet to be seen.

Spoiler: Xenk Yendar
    Show
    Raised in the nation of Thay, Xenk Yendar has sworn an oath of devotion to aid the innocent. Every inch the knight in shining armor, he thrives when inspiring goodness in his allies. The words “Neither virtue nor blade shall break” are etched in Celestial on the blade of his daggersword.

Xenk ages more slowly than a normal human, and with this gift comes the burden of perspective. His longevity has something to do with Szass Tam’s nightmarish rise to power and Xenk’s narrow escape from the lich.

Now based in Mornbryn’s Shield, Xenk travels Faerûn in search of evil to thwart. He approaches problems with absolute seriousness of purpose—an outlook that clashes with Edgin’s nonchalance.

Antagonists

Spoiler: Forge Fitzwilliam
    Show
    Forge Fitzwilliam is a con artist who manipulates others with lies and flattery. The audacious criminal has left a trail of broken promises and false identities along the Sword Coast. He conceals flexible morals and a ready dagger behind his winning smile.

Forge enjoys the finer things in life, particularly when they result from his own cleverness. Decades of heists and cons haven’t slaked his thirst—in fact, his ambitions only grow grander with time.

Spoiler: Sofina
    Show
    Sofina is a Red Wizard of Thay, an elite practitioner of magic with ties to Thay’s tyrannical magocracy. Sofina specializes in necromancy. Death magic and fear are both tools in her arsenal.

As Red Wizards are shunned outside Thay, Sofina conceals her affiliations and coldly rebuffs any who seek her friendship. A canny operator, she has patiently moved her pieces into place, and her grand designs now begin to take shape.

Last edited by Millstone85; 2023-03-06 at 06:24 PM.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Most of these aren't even thieves!!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It kinda feel like a ripoff of a bad Marvel movie, TBH. And I'm really tired of that formula.

Well, I wasn't planning on watching it, and it seems like I'm not missing much.
    Homebrew Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Most of these aren't even thieves!!
    Then again, there is a book called Dragonheist
    Spoiler: RPG Module spoiler
    Show
    Which doesn't involve a heist.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm looking forward to it. As long as it's better than the previous D&D movies, I'll be happy. It's not a high bar, but it's a bar.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

First reviews seem quite positive. A couple have compared it to The Princess Bride.