New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LaZodiac's Super Turbo Championship Edition Random Banter Thread #242

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly I think more games should be willing to give casters the freedom and restrictions of the 3.X Warlock.

You can use magic whenever you want! No need to worry about spell slots or points! But in exchange you have to pick from a (theoretically) thematic list of powers, and you only get a small handful of them.
    Well, hey, conveniently do I have the D&D edition for you...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LaZodiac's Super Turbo Championship Edition Random Banter Thread #242

I vaguely remember an old handbook on the topic of XP costs for crafting – "XP is a river", or something like that? Pointing out that, with XP per challenge scaling up, an item-crafter could expect to never be more than a level behind, and they end up having a surplus of XP that they can spend on doing even more crafting to stay that one level behind. And also, you know, that 3.5 in general is already well and truly broken in terms of any kind of party balance, and a wizard a level down (with lots of extra gear, some of which they use to lift up the rest of the party) is still going to be able to keep up with a bard or rogue.

If we're talking things we want out of games – I want a video game that lets me set up a party tank the way late-3.5 eventually supported it – large threatened area, attacks of opportunity, tripping. Don't let the player directly mess around with the underlying aggro mechanic to make the enemies attack a target who's not any kind of actual danger, let the player-character make themselves too much of an obstacle to ignore, do crowd-control in melee.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2023-02-04 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

I have decided to watch a playthrough of Night In The Woods, which is a game that I have read a lot about but never actually played or watched someone play.

For those of you who don't know, the game is a slice of life style game with ghost story elements that touches on some nihilistic and existentialist themes with the message of "everything is going to end someday, but what matters is you're here now" as well as a exploration of how people cope with change and bad things beyond their control happening, including loss, trauma, and mental illness. also it may or may not be a cosmic horror setting.

The art style looks like something out of a children's picture book and all the people are animal people, which clashes amusingly with the subject matter and the fact that the characters curse all the time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    If we're talking things we want out of games – I want a video game that lets me set up a party tank the way late-3.5 eventually supported it – large threatened area, attacks of opportunity, tripping. Don't let the player directly mess around with the underlying aggro mechanic to make the enemies attack a target who's not any kind of actual danger, let the player-character make themselves too much of an obstacle to ignore, do crowd-control in melee.
    Wildermyth has its warrior class work that way, and it's fun to just see them take out a bunch of enemies off-turn. Doesn't do tripping, but has other mechanics to make foes sad.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I vaguely remember an old handbook on the topic of XP costs for crafting – "XP is a river", or something like that? Pointing out that, with XP per challenge scaling up, an item-crafter could expect to never be more than a level behind, and they end up having a surplus of XP that they can spend on doing even more crafting to stay that one level behind. And also, you know, that 3.5 in general is already well and truly broken in terms of any kind of party balance, and a wizard a level down (with lots of extra gear, some of which they use to lift up the rest of the party) is still going to be able to keep up with a bard or rogue.

4th Edition DND also did varying levels of this for their tank classes. The Fighter was always the best and has the sort of thing you're talking about; anyone who tried to get past them got sat the heck down, because their opportunity attacks stopped people from moving whether it hit or not.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    4th Edition DND also did varying levels of this for their tank classes. The Fighter was always the best and has the sort of thing you're talking about; anyone who tried to get past them got sat the heck down, because their opportunity attacks stopped people from moving whether it hit or not.
    13th Age is similar. While anyone can move to intercept off-turn if they aren't already engaged in melee; fighters are harder to get away from and can take an option to be able to intercept even when already engaged, while paladins can take an option so individual targets have a harder time getting away or attacking anyone else.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

D&D 3.5 has so many flaws but it's still a good game.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

I find that Pathfinder 1e managed to at least clean a few of the burrs off, and give you the same experience.

That said, going back to PF1 and 2 has made it clear to me how hard it is to get into 3.5e when you don't compulsively spend ages reading lists of feats (not that I don't enjoy that; I just haven't for PF2e yet).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I have decided to watch a playthrough of Night In The Woods, which is a game that I have read a lot about but never actually played or watched someone play.

For those of you who don't know, the game is a slice of life style game with ghost story elements that touches on some nihilistic and existentialist themes with the message of "everything is going to end someday, but what matters is you're here now" as well as a exploration of how people cope with change and bad things beyond their control happening, including loss, trauma, and mental illness. also it may or may not be a cosmic horror setting.

The art style looks like something out of a children's picture book and all the people are animal people, which clashes amusingly with the subject matter and the fact that the characters curse all the time.
    Oh man, my wife really loved that game! I'd actually highly recommend playing it instead of doing a watch through for you specifically, because it's highly choice dependent.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Well, hey, conveniently do I have the D&D edition for you...
    Why does the book say 'Fudge' on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    D&D 3.5 has so many flaws but it's still a good game.
    3.5 is a game I appreciate a lot more than I did five years ago, and have even found a couple of spinoffs of that I like. But I'm not sure I could actually go back to 3.5 itself just to being so tired of the D&D formula, the best I'd be able to do is d20 Modern, Starfinder, or that World of Darkness hack that is surprisingly good.

A lot of the issues I have with D&D is that it just puts the focus where I don't enjoy it anymore. I'd still much rather run Chronicles of Darkness or Unknown Armies than anything D&D related.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #491

Pepperoni and Colby melt with dijon on this full grain, 12 seed, protein enriched organic crap my mom got two loaves of on sale at the bulk store, fried using real butter.

Good, but I either used too much mustard or not enough cheese. Coly and dijon don't pair well, me thinks. Next time gonna use the cheddar.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Went out for brunch with my wife. Got my normal smoked salmon Benedict, they have other things that sound great but I'm a sucker for a good eggs Benedict so it's my go-to. They poached the eggs absolutely perfectly today. Better than I've ever had, the yolk was still liquid without being runny. It was delightful.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Why does the book say 'Fudge' on it?
    Hey, wait, I accidentally gave you my dessert!
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2023-02-05 at 12:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Hey, wait, I accidentally gave you my dessert!
    I deny all knowledge of things which may have once resided in the box!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #495
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yesterday afternoon I spent some time deep in the bowels of the Earth exploring the new extension of Grand Central Terminal "Grand Central Madison".

The background is that, early last century, two railroads build terminals in Manhattan. On the west side, the Pennsylvania Railroad built New York Penn Station, which eventually served Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). On the east side, a bit further north, New York Central built Grand Central Terminal, which came to serve the Metro North commuter lines, running north of the city, and to Connecticut. In recent years, in an effort to give the LIRR commuters more options, and to increase capacity, a new terminal was dug underneath Grand Central Terminal to serve the LIRR, along with the necessary tunnels to connect things. This finally opened about ten days ago, so I went into the city to explore.

It's very shiny and new, and pretty empty. I guess there aren't many commuters coming in on a Saturday. It's also quite deep, with lengthy escalators leading up from the platform levels to the main concourse, which is still a bit below the lower level of the previous Grand Central Terminal. Artwork includes some mosaics of rural Long Island scenes, and quotations from various people praising New York City. No signs of orcs or balrogs yet, but I wouldn't want to be down there in a power failure.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

3.5 is a game I appreciate a lot more than I did five years ago, and have even found a couple of spinoffs of that I like. But I'm not sure I could actually go back to 3.5 itself just to being so tired of the D&D formula, the best I'd be able to do is d20 Modern, Starfinder, or that World of Darkness hack that is surprisingly good.

A lot of the issues I have with D&D is that it just puts the focus where I don't enjoy it anymore. I'd still much rather run Chronicles of Darkness or Unknown Armies than anything D&D related.
    That's true. All the 3.5 games that I play have died down because other players lost interest in playing. Same thing with Pathfinder and other RPGs.

17. - Top - End - #497

I remember when Ben 10: Alien Force was airing new that they tied to hype up the tenth Alien in Ben's set with trailers talking about how "Alien X" was so powerful that using it would leave Ben weak.

Just, Repeating that phrase, that concept, over and over again. "An alien so powerful that using it leaves you totally weak" and... Like. At the time all I could think of was that was 1: a very weird way to phrase that and 2: A weird thing to use to hype up the alien.

It doesn't even make sense in context: Alien X's gimmick is that it's virtually omnipotent, but it can't actually use that power because there are two other consciousnesses in there with ben and all three personalities have to be in complete agreement to do literally anything. The form's weakness isn't a consequence of its power.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

New York City has been very generous to me lately. Yesterday morning, I was going to buy my coffee but a man buy the coffee for me.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

I remember when Ben 10: Alien Force was airing new that they tied to hype up the tenth Alien in Ben's set with trailers talking about how "Alien X" was so powerful that using it would leave Ben weak.

Just, Repeating that phrase, that concept, over and over again. "An alien so powerful that using it leaves you totally weak" and... Like. At the time all I could think of was that was 1: a very weird way to phrase that and 2: A weird thing to use to hype up the alien.

It doesn't even make sense in context: Alien X's gimmick is that it's virtually omnipotent, but it can't actually use that power because there are two other consciousnesses in there with ben and all three personalities have to be in complete agreement to do literally anything. The form's weakness isn't a consequence of its power.
    Eh, 'mega power means mega tired' is a classic trope for magic/superpower systems. Of course the Omnitrix doesn't work like that, IIRC under the limiter the drawbacks are the inability to switch (which might not be a thing), the limited time of transformations, and I think a time-out after transforming back. Without the limiter it's just as many transformations for as long as you want.

So yeah, a massive lie, but one that I could have potentially believed beforehand. Also 'omnipotence' is a really boring power narratively speaking, which limits how much Alien X can turn up to how much drama you can draw out of the personalities arguing. Which will get old fast.

Anyway, I just got to the part of Persona 5 where you can Strengthen Personas, and it's kind of making me want a Persona game where the PC isn't a Wild Card. Like, instead of carrying twelve Personas you'd just have one basic Persona (probably Fool), and power it up via Social Links. Because I now could make Arsene a viable Persona for the mid or late game, but it'll take a really long time. Also to be honest there's an artstyle difference between the Personas designed for the games and the ones that are just MegaTen demons, and with some it can be really noticeable. The Personas are just more stylised, even if they can't all be as cool as Makoto's.

Show

20. - Top - End - #500

Eh, 'mega power means mega tired' is a classic trope for magic/superpower systems. Of course the Omnitrix doesn't work like that, IIRC under the limiter the drawbacks are the inability to switch (which might not be a thing), the limited time of transformations, and I think a time-out after transforming back. Without the limiter it's just as many transformations for as long as you want.

So yeah, a massive lie, but one that I could have potentially believed beforehand. Also 'omnipotence' is a really boring power narratively speaking, which limits how much Alien X can turn up to how much drama you can draw out of the personalities arguing. Which will get old fast.

Anyway, I just got to the part of Persona 5 where you can Strengthen Personas, and it's kind of making me want a Persona game where the PC isn't a Wild Card. Like, instead of carrying twelve Personas you'd just have one basic Persona (probably Fool), and power it up via Social Links. Because I now could make Arsene a viable Persona for the mid or late game, but it'll take a really long time. Also to be honest there's an artstyle difference between the Personas designed for the games and the ones that are just MegaTen demons, and with some it can be really noticeable. The Personas are just more stylised, even if they can't all be as cool as Makoto's.
    It is literally, in my opinion, the worst aspect of Persona that they follow the SMT trend of "you should be constantly shuffling through and upgrading your demons". Persona's are antithetical to this style of gameplay it makes NO SENSE it makes me SO MAD!

Especially since the Persona designs are so good! I don't WANT to get rid of Izanagi, he looks like a ****ing badass!

21. - Top - End - #501

There are a couple of Jumpchain's for the Persona series and I'm not gonna do any of them unless I've got a way to get around the limited roster space.

Mostly because the Wildcards tend to get all the good stuff in those Jumps but having to constantly change around and resummon... You can get permanent access to the Velvet Room so you can keep fusing and summoning but that costs extra.

Otherwise, I believe I've said I'd rather be one of the comparatively normal Persona Users. Yeah, my ultimate Persona might not be as Powerful as Izanagi-No-Okami or Satanael but I'd rather my powers evolve based on my character development, not everyone else's.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-02-05 at 09:50 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

When I used a persona 5 jumpchain I just went straight for the Azathoth option complete with a palace of my own to rewrite reality. Maybe its bizarre and edgy, and probably evil to actually use the power, but as long as I'm playing my own personal power fantasy without regards to balance, who cares? and villains always get the cool strange powers anyways, and from the way I see it, it seems to matter more how you use your persona than anything else.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-02-05 at 10:05 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #503

Otherwise, I believe I've said I'd rather be one of the comparatively normal Persona Users. Yeah, my ultimate Persona might not be as Powerful as Izanagi-No-Okami or Satanael but I'd rather my powers evolve based on my character development, not everyone else's.
    ....On the other hand, the idea that my Persona is something, a figure or character associated with hunger, or being an amalgamation of other beings, or something along those lines that grows stronger by consuming other Demons and shadows has some appeal.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There are a couple of Jumpchain's for the Persona series and I'm not gonna do any of them unless I've got a way to get around the limited roster space.

Mostly because the Wildcards tend to get all the good stuff in those Jumps but having to constantly change around and resummon... You can get permanent access to the Velvet Room so you can keep fusing and summoning but that costs extra.

I admittedly dont know a whole lot about Persona in general, but doesnt Joker evolve from a bit of an antisocial loner into a social nexus with deep emotional bonds with a lot of people?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I admittedly dont know a whole lot about Persona in general, but doesnt Joker evolve from a bit of an antisocial loner into a social nexus with deep emotional bonds with a lot of people?
    Honestly his social links are the ones that are the least like... random friendship networky. A lot of his links are people he just gleans info and skills from, helping improve their own lives and fight against their own battles, but not becoming like, close personal friends with.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey, I have a question to ask everyone. Can you be righteously pissed off and not be evil?

27. - Top - End - #507

He's not really Anti-social by choice, he's socially isolated because he has a criminal record and the ******* gym teacher outed him to the school for... Reasons so he doesn't really have a chance to make friends.

His character stays consistent throughout the game, unless you choose to take the Big bad's deal and get the bad end: Joker is someone who will get involved to help other people in need and to hell with the consequences.

Joker's non-party social links are mostly people who he goes to because they can be exploited as resources to help the Phantom Thieves and then it turns out oops, they're in trouble so he helps them out. Like the woman running the small clinic in the back alley who'll sell you medicine under the table if you volunteer for clinical trials on a drug she's been developing for years and just needs a little more data to perfect.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, I have a question to ask everyone. Can you be righteously pissed off and not be evil?
    Righteously pissed off sounds like paladin's smite.

Also, anger does not equal evil.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It is literally, in my opinion, the worst aspect of Persona that they follow the SMT trend of "you should be constantly shuffling through and upgrading your demons". Persona's are antithetical to this style of gameplay it makes NO SENSE it makes me SO MAD!

Especially since the Persona designs are so good! I don't WANT to get rid of Izanagi, he looks like a ****ing badass!
    For me it's Orpheus, just something about the robot bard look.

And yeah, it doesn't even really work from a gameplay perspective. In the mainline and the first three Personas you'll shift your entire team for boss fights to exploit immunities/weaknesses/specific buffs. Which you can't really do in P3 and P4 without grinding up party members you haven't been using.

Joker literally becomes friends with Ryuji on the first day of school. He's established to be a friendly guy from the outset, but everybody assumes he's a delinquent because of his criminal record. Which, as mentioned, was leaked by the first villain.

Although my personal favourite link is Yoshida/the Sun link. It begins with you helping a washed up politician to learn how to give speeches, and by halfway through he's treating Joker as his protege and giving advice on being an honest politician.

Of the romance links? Tae/Death, for the slight sub/dom elements when the rest of the game is not pro-kink (in fact one of the momentos requests is hard-line against it). Makoto is, of course, in second place.

Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

...Yes? I would assume that's a given from the descriptor "righteously." Evil doesn't do things "righteously." The definition of righteously literally means that it's morally correct.

I don't think you can be "righteously pissed off" and have it be evil any more than you can have a substance be both a solid and a liquid.