New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Demand for collector expertise?

I have two friends who have become role playing (D&D focused) collectors and between them own most items including the original 'white box' set, the orange "Palace of the Silver Princess" and thousands of items from obscure games I've never heard of.

In attaining their collections they have spent 1000's of hours educating themselves, learning how to recognize fake shrink wrap, etc

I have encouraged them to start a pod cast or youtube channel to share their expertise and my question is do you think there would be demand for this? Seems like a waste of effort if its just a few other high end collectors, but they could talk about Jim Wards influence on item X, or why everyone's Unearthed Arcana fell apart in the 1990's, etc, and all kinds of details I think 99.9% of us don't know about.

So if you think this is useful endeavour let me know and I'll try to get them going.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Demand for collector expertise?

Quote Originally Posted by Ixtellor View Post
    I have two friends who have become role playing (D&D focused) collectors and between them own most items including the original 'white box' set, the orange "Palace of the Silver Princess" and thousands of items from obscure games I've never heard of.

In attaining their collections they have spent 1000's of hours educating themselves, learning how to recognize fake shrink wrap, etc

I have encouraged them to start a pod cast or youtube channel to share their expertise and my question is do you think there would be demand for this? Seems like a waste of effort if its just a few other high end collectors, but they could talk about Jim Wards influence on item X, or why everyone's Unearthed Arcana fell apart in the 1990's, etc, and all kinds of details I think 99.9% of us don't know about.

So if you think this is useful endeavor let me know and I'll try to get them going.
    Yes, the fact that your friends got so interested in it proves that there is probably enough market for multiple media sources in the area.
    Problems are though: how're you going to reach and define your target audience? What are you going to offer them exactly? Do you(in this case refering to multiple people) have besides expertise also have the skills to bring it engaging?
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!